• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Motorsports |OT| of Endurance Racing, Nascar, Rally, Sportscars, MotoGP, etc

Chris R

Damn, Jr just missed out on a top 10.

Great finish for him then considering how badly he normally does here. Loved the fighting back and forth, sucks that Marcos couldn't win today but whatever, I'm fine with a dinger win.

edit: Everyone with a win is locked into the chase right now. 12 different winners, 4 races to go until the chase.
edit #2: Assuming they don't shit the bed and at least show up to stay in the top 30 in points.

Oh cool a motorsports thread. Hi everyone!

Today started pretty bad for the NASCAR world with the whole Stewart situation but the race today was great! The past few years Watkins Glen has proven to be one of the best races all season. Good to see the Dinger get his first win, he raced his ass off against Ambrose!

On the other hand with A.J. winning it puts my man Kahne further away from making the chase :/ At least he had his best finish ever at the Glen (12th lol) thought he was going to lose a big chunk of points today.

Crazy-ass Glen race today. For a place that's always wild, this bordered on the ridiculous.

Personally I think we've seen the last of this layout for stock cars. It's got to be boot from here on out. That small section of race track is just doomed. Skip it. I'm not even sure why they're running it in the first place.

Marquez... When can we start getting hyped for a season sweep? 45% left, so not quite yet, but soon!

TJP

No one cares about the MotoGP racing? :(

Lot's of interesting points from the Indy round such as Colin Edwards final race in the USA and can anyone stop Marc Marquez after the mid-season break
the answer is no.

When good drifts go bad (and launch the rider into a highside):
TenseSophisticatedIndigobunting.gif

Before it went wrong, Alvaro Bautista's lean angle reminded me a bit of Rubén Xaus effort on a Ducati hypermotard:

Marquez... When can we start getting hyped for a season sweep? 45% left, so not quite yet, but soon!

Haven't seen the race yet but I wasn't really surprised when I read the result this morning!

Apparently Jack Miller has been signed to HRC from next year alongside Marquez. Whether that means a full Repsol factory bike, farmed out to LCR, one of the new production bikes or something else, it's not clear yet. I think it might be a year or two too early, but Honda clearly see something.

Haven't seen the race yet but I wasn't really surprised when I read the result this morning!

Apparently Jack Miller has been signed to HRC from next year alongside Marquez. Whether that means a full Repsol factory bike, farmed out to LCR, one of the new production bikes or something else, it's not clear yet. I think it might be a year or two too early, but Honda clearly see something.

The first half of the race was terrific. Definitely worth watching.

It even had some classic Rossi. Dovi closed the door on him which cost him a few positions - return what you have stolen from me - half a lap later, back in the lead.

Great news about Jack Miller. The sharp end of the GP field could use some cultural diversity.

Chris R

Last I heard Ambrose was second (at about 70 laps? Or 50? I dunno). Sucks he didn't win :/

He won yesterday :p

Crazy-ass Glen race today. For a place that's always wild, this bordered on the ridiculous.

Personally I think we've seen the last of this layout for stock cars. It's got to be boot from here on out. That small section of race track is just doomed. Skip it. I'm not even sure why they're running it in the first place.

The problem is that the corner is paved there, allowing the drivers to run that wide. They aren't going to run the boot, because then you have people crashing into the wall coming out of the boot. I bet they will increase the space there by a few feet either side. They also might want to look at the esses portion that runs over the tunnel as there is armco at the edge of the track. I could also see pit entry coming BEFORE the final turn to get rid of the barrels.

Shaneus

He won yesterday :p
Ohh... so there's multiple races during a weekend, and he won one of them? Nice!

How's he generally perceived in the series? As in, bit of a ruthless dick like old Schumi, straight-down-the-line, somewhat likeable bloke a la Mark Webber? I can imagine that fight he was in a few months back may have polarised a few people ;)

Chris R

Ohh... so there's multiple races during a weekend, and he won one of them? Nice!

How's he generally perceived in the series? As in, bit of a ruthless dick like old Schumi, straight-down-the-line, somewhat likeable bloke a la Mark Webber? I can imagine that fight he was in a few months back may have polarised a few people ;)

Eh if anything the fight made more people like him. The final restart might have been a little iffy but he was like "Hey, I didn't beat him on the track, race is over" during his post race interview. Class act, really likable.

Would have loved seeing him sweep the weekend though! He was pretty dominant both days.

Shaneus

It's funny because I cheer for Ambrose in NASCAR purely because he's Australian, but I hated him in V8s lol
You're a Holden man? Fair enough!

Eh if anything the fight made more people like him. The final restart might have been a little iffy but he was like "Hey, I didn't beat him on the track, race is over" during his post race interview. Class act, really likable.

Would have loved seeing him sweep the weekend though! He was pretty dominant both days.
Glad to hear it! I have a feeling it probably comes from gratitude to have made it on an international stage compared to other guys in the series where it's more seen as a local thing.

Wow, I didn't realize that starts in a couple weeks. Any news on tv rights, or are there any? (On phone but didn't see anything on the official site.)

Television

For those who can't make it to the event, Formula E will provide comprehensive live television coverage shown via major broadcasters around the globe. To date, Formula E has already signed multi-year deals with FOX Sports, ITV, China's CCTV-5 and Japan's TV Asahi with details of many more television rights coming soon.

FOX Sports Fox _sports

FOX Sports, one of the largest global sports networks, will show comprehensive live coverage of all 10 Formula E races on its flagship FOX Sports 1 channel, as well as across its family of networks - a potential audience of 180 million households worldwide. In addition, FOX Sports also has exclusive and non-exclusive rights in more than 80 territories worldwide including Canada, Latin America/Caribbean, Netherlands, Italy, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore, Taiwan, South Korea, Australia and other areas of Asia, India and Africa.

ITV Itv4

ITV, the UK's largest free-to-air commercial network, will televise live coverage of all 10 Formula E races. A 90-minute standalone programme will be screened on ITV4 and ITV4 HD, together with coverage via the channel's online and mobile platforms, and on-demand ITV Player service. ITV4 is one of the UK's leading channels for motorsport, already showing extensive coverage of the British Touring Car Championship, along with British Superbikes and the World Rally Championship. With 26.2 million homes in the UK with a TV - an estimated 10.6 million tune into ITV4 on a weekly basis.

CCTV CCTV
CCTV-5 is the main sports channel in the People's Republic of China and part of the China Central Television (CCTV) network. CCTV is also the principal state broadcaster in mainland China with a network of 45 channels - the largest number of television sub-channels in the world - and a potential reach of 200,427,000 people. CCTV-5 will televise all 10 Formula E races in full together with a regular highlights package. It will also broadcast live coverage of the season opening Beijing ePrix, taking place around the city’s Olympic ‘Bird’s Nest’ Stadium on September 13 2014.

TV Asahi Tv _asahi

Japan's TV Asahi will show exclusive coverage of all Formula E races - together with extensive coverage of the practice and qualifying sessions - across its terrestrial, satellite and cable channels - a potential reach of 51.4 million households. Also known as EX and Tele-Asa, it is regarded as one of the most popular networks in Japan and the second most watched network after Fuji TV.

Host broadcaster Aurora _media

TV production will be carried out by Aurora Worldwide Media using the latest equipment to ensure viewers receive the best possible quality. Online streaming will also be made available where possible together with live timing allowing fans to catch the action wherever they are.

B.K.

Carl Edwards is going to drive the #19 Toyota Camry for Joe Gibbs racing starting in 2015.

NASCAR is going to be doing some reworking on the schedule next year. Rumored changes include:

Atlanta's race moves to the second race of the year.

The Bristol spring races moves to mid April.

The Southern 500 goes back to Labor Day Weekend.

Carl Edwards is going to drive the #19 Toyota Camry for Joe Gibbs racing starting in 2015.

NASCAR is going to be doing some reworking on the schedule next year. Rumored changes include:

Atlanta's race moves to the second race of the year.

The Bristol spring races moves to mid April.

The Southern 500 goes back to Labor Day Weekend.
v7c1kEZ.gif

TylerD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj2aoxDtXkU

Shit like that is why I hate Jimmie Johnson. Because he's the Great Jimmie Johnson, he thinks everyone is supposed to pull over and let him go by. I wish people would wreck him every race.

Newman had much more of a right to be angry. When it happened I was like whelp Jimmie screwed up. Got loose and got in to Newman. I didn't see that Jimmie retaliated after that with a nudge.

I enjoyed the race other than Larson blowing up and taking the awful hit to his Chase chances. Thought he was going to have a top 5 at the worst. He is a little boring but it looks like he is going to be pretty special and the kid can flat-out drive.

I am getting the urge to see another race in person and may have to get the family to meet me in Fort Worth for the AAA 500 again and maybe make a Bristol race next year.

Here is the promo for the new Chase format: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-7exGzbY4k

I don't know how the elimination format stuff will turn out but I have enjoyed watching the majority of the races this year and the importance of winning is definitely a good thing.

Chris R

I like the "win and in" stuff for the chase format, but the elimination stuff is going to blow up in NASCAR's face sometime soon, only leading to more changes.

The season long championship should NOT come down to a single race in my opinion. Win every race but the last and enjoy your 2/3/4th place finish for the year.

Chris R

Rain is on the way to Bristol. They may not get all of the Truck race run tonight.

They ran it this morning. I was able to wake up and catch 35 laps on my DVR before I had to shower and head to work.

Now to avoid all news sites that might report the result for the rest of the day...

Arcticfox

In the DC area the Nascar race has been preempted by preseason football and can only be seen on the low-def Live Well network. How did Nascar fall so far that it would not be shown on any of the hi def ABC/ESPN channels in Virginia?

nny

[WRC]

Final day of the rally; the leader Latvala crashes and he's out..leaving Meeke in the lead...who crashes in the following stage. Now Neuville is 2 stages away from winning his first WRC rally. It would be the first win for Hyundai as well! His teammate Sordo is 2nd, so Hyundai will probably won't let this one get away.

Dilly

Banned
Aw yeah, my boy Neuville winning a WRC event. Great stuff.

It saddens me to say it, but Kubica really should look into doing something else.

Juicy Bob

Kubica is the most frustrating F1 driver in the history of the sport.

I'll never forgive him for what happened. Robbed us of the chance of seeing what he would achieve in Formula 1 :(

Top Bottom