• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mr. Robot |OT| Byte Club - a new hacker thriller - Wednesdays on USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

-griffy-

Banned
The way this show uses simple framing to communicate to the audience is amazing. That boardroom scene for example, when Tyrell is leaving after thinking he's on top and laying the seeds for jealousy with the wife, and the new CTO guy Scott comes back with "Did you enjoy the view?" we cut to this shot of Tyrell:
JMJIPKQl.png

The tables have turned, he is realizing he doesn't have the upper hand, and the shot makes him look tiny and diminished, completely weak in the frame.

Then Scott starts displaying his power over Tyrell, advancing on him and intimidating him, until he gets right in his face in this shot, where we start on Scott and his forward movement pushes the frame right to reveal Tyrell and he says "You are not going to be CTO":
9pOWRh4l.png

The balance is completely tipped to Scott's side, Tyrell so powerless that he is practically being pushed out of the shot by the sheer weight coming from Scott.

I also LOVE what they do with the title and opening credits every episode. And I'm gonna need a soundtrack album as soon as possible.

Future

The way this show uses simple framing to communicate to the audience is amazing. That boardroom scene for example, when Tyrell is leaving after thinking he's on top and laying the seeds for jealousy with the wife, and the new CTO guy Scott comes back with "Did you enjoy the view?" we cut to this shot of Tyrell:
JMJIPKQl.png

The tables have turned, he is realizing he doesn't have the upper hand, and the shot makes him look tiny and diminished, completely weak in the frame.

Then Scott starts displaying his power over Tyrell, advancing on him and intimidating him, until he gets right in his face in this shot, where we start on Scott and his forward movement pushes the frame right to reveal Tyrell and he says "You are not going to be CTO":
9pOWRh4l.png

The balance is completely tipped to Scott's side, Tyrell so powerless that he is practically being pushed out of the shot by the sheer weight coming from Scott.

I also LOVE what they do with the title and opening credits every episode. And I'm gonna need a soundtrack album as soon as possible.

The most interesting part of the show for me. They also have their own basic style when framing conversation. Their front shot / reverse shot always has one character to the far side of the frame usually unable to see a hint of the second character, and then it switches

This episode puts attention directly on Elliot. Party he had with his boss is now significant because they all met his now dead girlfriend. News will probably report that the prison cells were hacked, making those close to Elliot bound to see the connection. Elliot's boss will be like that cop in Dexter that's always suspecting.

Tyrell might make a second push for the wife, which is a dangerous game since the boss is onto him. I wonder why the boss doesn't just fire him.

Not sure of the significance of the house arrest CTO yet

otapnam

JMJIPKQl.png

9pOWRh4l.png

The compositions in this show are ridiculously good for tv.

Tyrell's wife is so effortlessly evil. It's great seeing them interact every time.
Another great episode. My favorite show this season.

The composer said the soundtrack would have a release once they're done with the season. incredibly excited to listen during drives.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
So many deaths on TV these past few years, and this is the only one that legit made me sad.
This show keeps getting better.

Aiii

So not worth it
This last episode has made this show reach BB levels of greatness. The characters, the scripts, the cinematography, everything is great. That final shot on Elliot, wow!

Also, anyone that casts an actor from Reaper deserves praise, especially if it's Rick Gonzalez.

rexor0717

I just hope the show stays as good as it is now. I'm worried that they'll pull a bunch of contrived situations to extend the life of the show.

SigSig

Fight Club +1
I like how the show sets up intricate plans only to knock them down later and have the characters deal with the outcome.

JMJIPKQl.png

9pOWRh4l.png

You might be interested in this article with the show creator: http://www.vulture.com/2015/07/mr-robot-influences-taxi-driver-girls.html

Talks about his film influences in terms of cinematography, camera movement, tone, story, framing scenes.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I kinda hope that drug dealer has Elliot tied to a chair at the finale, and Mr. Robot comes in and shoots him and everyone goes "holy shit he's actually real!"

At first i was like Christian Slater ... meeehhhhhhhh!

Then I watched the first episode.

Then I watched the next 4 in a row.

Awesome show. It's right up my alley. Sex, drug abuse, computer nerds.

I love it, and i never watch tv shows (just movies)

Highly recommended.

I liked how Elliot isn't portrayed as the typical "super intelligent main character", with an uncanny ability to manipulate not only computers, but people and do great schemes. Here he was outplayed easily in the schemes department by a low-level drug lord.

Binge watched this to catch up. Holy crap. Didn't even know Slater was in it, but his Archer turn made me like him again.

There's also some kind of Tyler Durden/Beautiful Mind thing going on, right? Like maybe Slater is the only one who actually is real and the some of the rest are delusions?

otapnam

Binge watched this to catch up. Holy crap. Didn't even know Slater was in it, but his Archer turn made me like him again.

There's also some kind of Tyler Durden/Beautiful Mind thing going on, right? Like maybe Slater is the only one who actually is real and the some of the rest are delusions?

they go over how lonely he is in some of the eps it starts making you really think huh

I've got a stomach bug and called in today, and did a binge watch of the series so far and I'm shocked something with substance is on USA. I should prolly give some of their other shows a chance.

Silkworm

I've got a stomach bug and called in today, and did a binge watch of the series so far and I'm shocked something with substance is on USA. I should prolly give some of their other shows a chance.

I feel the same way. Burn Notice has come and gone on USA but that show looked like it would be fun to watch. Ah well, so many shows, so little time :)

Nothus

Damn, that ending was just heart-wrenching. The slow pan of the camera as it followed Elliot's reactions as well, it felt like it took an absolute lifetime to finally confirm my worst fears :(
The whole time I was trying to gauge Elliot's reaction, hoping he was overwhelmed with relief rather than anguish.

This show just gets better and better with each episode. Easily the best tv series I've watched since BB.
Does anyone know if it has been picked up by a network in the UK yet? It can surely only be a matter of time before someone like Channel 4 or Sky Atlantic jump on this.

For the record, I hope they don't push toward a cliched romance with Elliot and Angela. I was hoping Shayla would stick around, but IMDB only has her listed for 6 episodes. Sadness.

For the record, I hope they don't push toward a cliched romance with Elliot and Angela. I was hoping Shayla would stick around, but IMDB only has her listed for 6 episodes. Sadness.
This is my worry. So I hope Elliot and Angela doesn't get together. I would be fine even if Angela finds another boyfriend

This fucking show....goddamn is it good. The trunk scene and his reaction was incredibly powerful.. What a punch in the gut that was. :(

I gotta say that the guy who played Vera was quite an onscreen presence. Damn memorable character.

rexor0717

This fucking show....goddamn is it good. The trunk scene and his reaction was incredibly powerful.. What a punch in the gut that was. :(

I gotta say that the guy who played Vera was quite an onscreen presence. Damn memorable character.

When he says stuff like "I love you bro" and "I'm going to hug you.", I actually get a bit of sincerity from him. Like, I know he doesn't actually love him, but I think he likes who Eliot is as a person and what he's willing/able to do (not just in a way that's useful to him). I'm curious to see how his character develops over the show because his relationship to Elliot is really interesting.

awp69

Just finished this week's episode. Absolutely fantastic.

My second favorite show on TV after Hannibal.

My only issue with the trunk scene was they didn't need to show the body. You knew just from his reaction as well as the initial shot of her legs and nothing happening afterwards. Sometimes showing less has even more of an impact.

But that last minute was one of the most tense scenes I've seen in any show.

With Hannibal nearing the end (bar any miracle or future feature), this will rise to the top of my list. Perhaps Fargo if it is as good as it was last season.

The most interesting part of the show for me. They also have their own basic style when framing conversation. Their front shot / reverse shot always has one character to the far side of the frame usually unable to see a hint of the second character, and then it switches

This episode puts attention directly on Elliot. Party he had with his boss is now significant because they all met his now dead girlfriend. News will probably report that the prison cells were hacked, making those close to Elliot bound to see the connection. Elliot's boss will be like that cop in Dexter that's always suspecting.

Tyrell might make a second push for the wife, which is a dangerous game since the boss is onto him. I wonder why the boss doesn't just fire him.

Not sure of the significance of the house arrest CTO yet

I assume he's Gwen Stacy's mark to flip against Evil E.

Frog-fu

Banned
Just finished this week's episode. Absolutely fantastic.

My second favorite show on TV after Hannibal.

My only issue with the trunk scene was they didn't need to show the body. You knew just from his reaction as well as the initial shot of her legs and nothing happening afterwards. Sometimes showing less has even more of an impact.

But that last minute was one of the most tense scenes I've seen in any show.

With Hannibal nearing the end (bar any miracle or future feature), this will rise to the top of my list. Perhaps Fargo if it is as good as it was last season.

I think they showed the body because both Elliot and the viewer had to be sure Shayla was dead.

For a hopeful second or two I thought that she might just be unconscious or whatever, a bit battered, perhaps bad enough to be hospitalised next episode, but not necessarily dead.

I knew that was wishful thinking as I was hoping it, but when the camera panned over to her, that's when it hit me. Her death had an even greater impact because of that hopeful momentary doubt.

Vera is a much better villain than anticipated.

Sober

I think they showed the body because both Elliot and the viewer had to be sure Shayla was dead.

For a hopeful second or two I thought that she might just be unconscious or whatever, a bit battered, perhaps bad enough to be hospitalised next episode, but not necessarily dead.

I knew that was wishful thinking as I was hoping it, but when the camera panned over to her, that's when it hit me. Her death had an even greater impact because of that hopeful momentary doubt.

Vera is a much better villain than anticipated.

That was a crazy shot cause there's like that hope she's just unconscious and what you're seeing is Elliot is elated she's okay, but can't find the right words or emotion, but the camera refuses to pan down to confirm it, and it just lingers there.

Also I'm not one to really ever notice framing/cinematography but it was really good here. Also there were so few shots this episode with anyone dead centre in the frame. Maybe you can count them all on one hand.

CRS

Finally caught up. What a great show.

Also, Elliot is going to be Tyrell's patient yet aggressive move his wife spoke of.

Tamanon

Banned
One thing that threw me off, and might've just been a scripting mistake, was that Tyrell said the phrase "Evil Corp" when talking to the CTO. Elliot wasn't there to imagine it. Unless Tyrell has that same internal affectation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom