• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mr. Robot |OT| Byte Club - a new hacker thriller - Wednesdays on USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jira

Unfortunately due to timing it won't be eligible until next year's Emmys which will take place after Season 2 has already aired.

Boourns...that's unfortunate, but then again Sam Esmail said S2 is even crazier than S1 and this is all just a setup for it.

Where'd you get that age?

Malik is 31, and the photos have an 80's/early 90's feel to them.
It doesn't matter how old Rami Malek is, because they make him seem to be the age that I put forward. Darlene actually looks like she's 24 because she is 24.

Well obviously, I meant Elliot isn't really Elliot, he's the Christian Slater person.
You're telling me that Gideon tried to be a father figure to a guy who looks like Christian Slater?

Boourns...that's unfortunate, but then again Sam Esmail said S2 is even crazier than S1 and this is all just a setup for it.
Reminds me of Lost. People thought Season 1 would be the flavor for the rest of the show, until
THERE'S A FUCKING GUY UNDER THAT HATCH

brau

Damn

DAMN

I was going to wait till season 1 was over before watching a single episode, but I didn't

I should have, the wait is gonna be HARD

Will definitely rewatch the whole season after the finale

Good idea.. i've watched all episodes to date, and rewatched the first 4.... the amount of stuff that i missed is unbelievable... also. a lot more things make more sense. Its awesome.

The last episode right now.. holy cow... just sooooo good! the wait is unbearable.

Zoe

It doesn't matter how old Rami Malek is, because they make him seem to be the age that I put forward. Darlene actually looks like she's 24 because she is 24.
He's the same age as Angela, and I can't imagine an account manager of such a large client would be that young.

Frog-fu

Banned
Shit, still not over the shock of last episode. It was so brilliantly executed that you start rethinking EVERYTHING before that episode. Every first and laster interaction.

Remember when Elliot showed up at fsociety for the first thing and Darlene called him a dickhead? I thought it was such an odd thing to say then, but now it's just a normal interaction between siblings.

Was it Elliott or Andrea's father that made a point of not raising a fuss when he died? I thought for sure it was Elliott, and that was my main proof that Mr. Robot is fictional (An idealized father that strikes back at his murderers, gutting them instead of meekly passing), but then I read this page and remembered the other parents...

Ruruja

You're telling me that Gideon tried to be a father figure to a guy who looks like Christian Slater?

No, it was just a thought. I knew it'd probably fall apart somewhere in the previous episodes, as you've pointed out.

It was just a combination of expecting more twists, and him cutting her off and saying "sister" that made me go there.

Sanctuary

Been watching this series since it aired, and good lord. It's not only one of the best shows on TV right now, it's astounding that it's on USA of all channels.

I've been thinking for a long while how much this seemed like a cross between Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and Fight Club.

And...holy shit!

By the way, Carly Chaikin (who plays Darlene) is amazing.

Here she is on Suburgatory with amazing burns.

I love her in this show, and I thought she was amazing in Suburgatory, haha.

As his sister, she also probably had a spare key to Elliot's apartment if you think about how she got in so easily in one of the earlier episodes where she's basically there and seemingly intruding.

Did you forget about when Elliot picked the lock of the bathroom door in Shayla's apartment, and mentioned how the lock pick is every hackers favorite sport? She broke into his place twice. They never really show the first time (only that she was there without him being aware of it), but they had her holding a dismantled door knob the second.

Clipjoint

I was always team imaginary, but now I'm starting to doubt it. Mainly, it was Darlene's scene with Mr. Robot in the bar that showed her act completely differently with him than she acts with Elliot. I might be starting to drift over to #teamreal.

Honestly, I thought it was so obvious Mr Robot was a manifestation of Elliot's dead dad, and there was no way Esmail would be able to make that surprising or any type of compelling twist. Boy did he prove me wrong. Darlene was such a curveball and the ultimate mindfuck.

I'm up to the 6th episode now. Really enjoying it, Elliot continues to be the lifeblood of this series but i also gotta say christian slater is surprisingly...good. between curb and this his career has kinda resurged on TV now. Also impressed with the diversity on display in the cast. That's very refreshing and makes it feel almost like a UK show more than anything else

I have to say though that this bootleg patrick Bateman character is awful. Him and his wife are so dull and cliched. Please don't tell me this is our series villain. Feels like he belongs on orphan black or a CW adaptation of American Psycho. Yikes.

Aegus

Is anyone else becoming some kind of evangelist for this show? I've been raving about it to my friends all the time. Might as well hand me a mr robot bible and I can preach the gospel of robot to everyone.

Gorger

I'm up to the 6th episode now. Really enjoying it, Elliot continues to be the lifeblood of this series but i also gotta say christian slater is surprisingly...good. between curb and this his career has kinda resurged on TV now. Also impressed with the diversity on display in the cast. That's very refreshing and makes it feel almost like a UK show more than anything else

I have to say though that this bootleg patrick Bateman character is awful. Him and his wife are so dull and cliched. Please don't tell me this is our series villain. Feels like he belongs on orphan black or a CW adaptation of American Psycho. Yikes.

Being Norwegian I find their scenes fun cause they speak Swedish and Danish. It's almost impossible to understand the Danish cause it sounds like incoherent mumble, but it's pretty interesting seeing Scandinavian villains that are actually native speakers.

jett

D-Member
Just caught up with the show. I had just finished watching Halt And Catch Fire and needed another dose of computer fiction!

It started iffy at first for me, I was kinda over shows that revolve around conspiracies and secrets since the LOST debacle, but it won me over rather quickly. DAYUM at the dual twist of the last episode.

And of course I get here and see that all anyone talks about is #TEAMREAL and #TEAMCG. :p

Honestly I'm not sure myself, but I don't think this show is airtight enough to pull off a Tyler Durden, definitely not over the course of a single season, much less multiple seasons. If they're going Full Durden here, they need to make the reveal ASAP.

He will always be bootleg Cillian Murphy to me.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Is anyone else becoming some kind of evangelist for this show? I've been raving about it to my friends all the time. Might as well hand me a mr robot bible and I can preach the gospel of robot to everyone.

yeah I told my friends but I think the fact the show isn't on a normal prestige drama channel like HBO, Showtime, or AMC has made them hesitant to believe me. USA really lucked up on something special with this show. If it was on one of the 3 channels I mentioned earlier it would already be the show everyone was talking about. I hope USA eventually puts season 1 on Netflix this feels like the type of show that could thrive there and pick up a lot of fans.

Tyrell is my favorite character! The American Psycho homages are not hackneyed at all, and he is augmented by a Macbethian desperation. Reminds me of Pete Campbell from Mad Men, without being a pathetic failure.

Link

The Autumn Wind
092YhMh.png

Y5k6UOF.png

"Erased... from existence."

Damn, this show is amazing.

I caught up to the 8th episode.
whoo.png

that last 5 minutes was shyamyalan-esque (during his good years). fantastic, i loved it. i'm not sure where they're going with this now. if they're smart they'll subvert our expectations of this being a tyler durden persona and perhaps elliot and christian slater are both tangible and exist. and elliot is just suffering from schizophrenia and is blurring his reality.

or maybe not I dunno. that kid in the picture can't be elliot though right? he's so white.

Future

I caught up to the 8th episode.
whoo.png

that last 5 minutes was shyamyalan-esque (during his good years). fantastic, i loved it. i'm not sure where they're going with this now. if they're smart they'll subvert our expectations of this being a tyler durden persona and perhaps elliot and christian slater are both tangible and exist. and elliot is just suffering from schizophrenia and is blurring his reality.

or maybe not I dunno. that kid in the picture can't be elliot though right? he's so white.

The beautiful thing about the episode is that it revealed tons of mysteries.... While still keeping a few in the back pocket for next episodes / seasons. Can't wait for the conversation with mr robot next episode.... Although I can see them pulling some shinanigans to extend it through flashbacks or some roundabout way to get to the conversation at the end of the ep

Akahige

That fucking reveal, not expecting Darlene to be his sister at all. This episode had really fantastic direction and camera work, I was not a fan of the kinetic editing when he was piecing it all together though.

And goddamn did Tyrell's wife stab her vagina to induce labor or to kill her baby?

actually hmm..ending might be more cut and dry than i realized. christian slater is prolly his dad and is dead too. it made no sense that they all attributed the hacks and plans to elliot always reminding him "you did it, this is all you etc." when you had such a big player in the room like slater.

and the chinese would have wanted to meet with him, not elliot right?

the two images in the last page kind of push forward that theory that he's Christian Slater's son. Doc Brown halloween costume....

the kid looks so white though. and also what did young elliot look like when he reminisced? (not that his thoughts are at all reliable lol)

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
actually hmm..ending might be more cut and dry than i realized. christian slater is prolly his dad and is dead too. it made no sense that they all attributed the hacks and plans to elliot always reminding him "you did it, this is all you etc." when you had such a big player in the room like slater.

and the chinese would have wanted to meet with him, not elliot right?

the two images in the last page kind of push forward that theory that he's Christian Slater's son. Doc Brown halloween costume....

the kid looks so white though. and also what did young elliot look like when he reminisced? (not that his thoughts are at all reliable lol)

Am I the only one who thinks maybe Mr. Robot is his step father? and the that Darlene is a step/half sister? or is the ages of everyone involved make that impossible.

I've been an avid fan of this since the first episode. A few mins into the first episode I knew I stumbled across a true gem.

But I caught up with episode 8 yesterday and

FoolhardySmartDobermanpinscher.gif

I did not see that coming. In fact, I don't really know what I saw but I'm hooked!

Wait, why are you guys still going on about Christian Slater and Tyler Durden stuff? I've only seen episode 1 and haven't caught up yet, but if the show has become more of that boring mystery and less of a show about hacking or the more fun intrigue stuff, then this show isn't for me anymore :(.

Wait, why are you guys still going on about Christian Slater and Tyler Durden stuff? I've only seen episode 1 and haven't caught up yet, but if the show has become more of that boring mystery and less of a show about hacking or the more fun intrigue stuff, then this show isn't for me anymore :(.

I'd watch the rest of the episodes before you read anything else in this thread.

Seriously GO WATCH IT its soooooo gooood :D

Film as well.

blackhat did it just as good. there's articles out there affirming it's authenticity too.

a lot of people hated it (probably in this thread too) but i loved the film. good year for computers in the media tbh. sadly aside from these properties it's still the usual dumb shit.

UrbanRats

I'm catching up on this show (just finished Ep.5) and i'm really enjoying it, sort of feels style over substance, but it's a lot of fun.

However i had to post and say how much i hate when they use original music from other film/tv show, it's one of my pet peeves, but it drives me nuts.
As much as that Risky Business music fit the scene, i couldn't help but feel distracted and pulled out of the scene.

I hated KOYAANISQATSI's music in Watchmen, i hated Sunshine's music in Kickass, i hated 2001's music in Godzilla and i hated this.
It's like stealing someone's identity, it just feels wrong to me.

I know most of you probably don't give a shit, and i'm coming off as crazy, but just wanted to vent about it ;P.
Especially because the rest of the soundtrack in the show is so good, why would you even need that?

blackhat did it just as good. there's articles out there affirming it's authenticity too.

a lot of people hated it (probably in this thread too) but i loved the film. good year for computers in the media tbh. sadly aside from these properties it's still the usual dumb shit.
The love story was the worst part about Blackhat.
I liked it though, but i also liked Miami Vice and i'm in minority with that, too.

miami vice is top 3 mann for me and i put it above collateral so you're not alone on that brah.

same goes for the other music in things. it was fine in here though tbh, but in some cases it feels kind of sloppy like in kick ass for sure.

rexor0717

I haven't seen blackhat, but the trailers made it seem like there was a hacker that was more proficient at action and shooting guns than actually hacking. I'll probably watch it once its on a streaming service I use.

Drencrom

Started watching this show last week and just caught up with episode 8.

Holy mother of fuck...

Brilliant show, loving every second of it! I was a bit skeptical at first when I heard the hacker synopsis, but the show completely hooked me on the first episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom