• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mr. Robot |OT| Byte Club - a new hacker thriller - Wednesdays on USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.Acula

Banned
It'll be a nice twist for season 2 if Elliot and Tyrell are best buds after spending the entire first season setting them up as enemies.

Did anyone else not buy the Angela character this episode? I don't know if she had a relevant degree that we weren't told about or if it was just white privilege but why did she look surprised that she didn't get a job at that law firm? I could understand asking for an internship but an actual job. Gurl please.

Watching the episode right now, but yeah, that was just dumb and lol-worthy.

Goddamn, Joanna goes from bittersweet memory to ice cold written to Tyrrell. This actress is great.

Lol, Tyrrell flipping out is just pathetic. Just utterly pathetic.

I feel bad for all the shit they're putting Gideon through.

Knockoff American Psycho and Dad Fight Club team up to destroy the System

http://abload.de/img/comment_gcgjmowwuydtkj0u1j.gif

That was a hell of an episode.

- That ending was great. Great musical choice as well. Tyrell describing murder was disturbing. I imagine he'll jump off the slippery slope sooner rather than later. But what does helping Eliot accomplish? Revenge? If they did become best friends, that'd be hilarious.

- But this ending doesn't really jive with the earlier scene of Mr Robot and Tyrell arguing in the car. What's up with that?

- Colby is a right smug prick. Like, jeez.

- Gideon is just having a crap day, ha.

- Seriously, Tyrell's scene with the CEO was pathetic. Five bucks says he'll murder him next season.

- The opening flashback was great. We need more Slater. This definitely isn't the end of Mr Robot.

- "I am Mr Robot". That was great. Was kind of hoping we'd get a series of flashbacks where Elliot is acting as Mr Robot so we can see Rami Malek flipping out and being all Slater-esque.

Siegcram

Somebody's so gonna die next week. That last shot was too on the nose.

And thanks Mindlog for posting the cover, I've been searching on youtube for a passable version.

Siegcram

Is this show like CSI: Cyber?
1039_original.gif

Siegcram

Flashback scene in the beginning. Young Elliot suggested they see the movie and his dad wondered if he could even take Elliot to that (as in was he old enough).
And on the platform later Elliot tells Angela he's "pretty fucking far from okay". Which is what Marcellus said in PF.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
- But this ending doesn't really jive with the earlier scene of Mr Robot and Tyrell arguing in the car. What's up with that?

This Explains that car ride perfectly.

It also points out the fact that the reason the dark army backed out of their part of the hack deal was elliot went along with the colby hack. He as Mr Robot had already got the dark army's backing to do the E Corp hack and fucked it up by making the whole thing a public spectacle by blaming it on Colby.

Elliot has been basically ruining his own plan since episode 1 because he forgot it was his plan.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Another amazing episode. I'm sad that the next episode is the finale. I need more.

This show. this fucking show.

It's like Esmail is perfectly aware of all the swipes this show has, and gleefully embraces them. Elliot and Fight Club. Tyrell and American Psycho. The Social Network-ness of the score. The off-kilter cinematography. And next episode is definitely going to have that Chekov's Gun moment to it all. God this show is so fucking good.

What do you guys think about the slow encroachment of the fsociety posters? The train, the station, I'm sure there are more, but those were the ones I saw.

Also, what was Joanna talking about in regards to "the girl" and the "cellphone contracts" dialogue?

This last episode freaked me out a bit because I thought it was obvious Elliot was delusional after the last episode, but they kept going with Mr. Robot is real for an entire episode and I thought they were going to make me eat crow at the end.

But nah, they're just making sure people understand he's not real.

Matticers

I feel like I'm the odd man out with this opinion but I was letdown with the direction they went in with the story. But that's mainly because I preferred the idea of him being real. I still felt deflated after the reveal after last week's ending. The stories just got weird in general too. Like Tyrell's wife saying she wanted a divorce... right after inducing labor and telling him she won't let anyone break their family apart. I know it's mind games on her part to get him going but it's still silly. Another very good episode overall but I can't help but feel a little letdown after all that build up and last week's ending. But I'll wait and see where they finish things up next week.

Certainly looking forward to season 2 big time either way.

Siegcram

I feel like I'm the odd man out with this opinion but I was letdown with the direction they went in with the story. But that's mainly because I preferred the idea of him being real. I still felt deflated after the reveal after last week's ending. The stories just got weird in general too. Like Tyrell's wife saying she wanted a divorce... right after inducing labor and telling him she won't let anyone break their family apart. I know it's mind games on her part to get him going but it's still silly. Another very good episode overall but I can't help but feel a little letdown after all that build up and last week's ending. But I'll wait and see where they finish things up next week.

Certainly looking forward to season 2 big time either way.
This episode wasn't about continuing the ambiguity whether or not MR was real. Its whole purpose was to show us why him being within Elliot was the only logical conclusion from the beginning, by retracing the events that lead to Elliot's plan and the foundation of fsociety. It is called "m1rr0r1ng" after all.

chefbags

My God, that piano cover of Where Is My Mind is perfect. How did I not know of it's existence
4TfeeGW.png

Great episode!

This show is my life. If it keeps going like this for many more seasons, it's the show that will earn Emmys.and I know rami malek at least deserves a nomination for this episode alone for next year.

I like when I can recognize a song within a second of it starting... I can't believe it's been 25 years since Kool Thing came out and Where is my Mind with the fitting homage and all. Glad for Elliot's internal fourth wall breaking dialog. The gun from episode eight still has to have a part to play.

I wonder if the hack goes through and is successful or not. Destroying a huge company like that would have major ramifications in a way I'm not sure I can see it really happening.

And did they get through a "cocksuckers"? o_O Was Blank Slate the Mr. Robot store?

This show is my life. If it keeps going like this for many more seasons, it's the show that will earn Emmys.and I know rami malek at least deserves a nomination for this episode alone for next year.

This is not the type of show that I can see picking up Emmys. It'll just get snubbed like Orphan Black did (until the recent nom).

You've missed the point entirely.

Nah.

OB gets snubbed because at it's core, it's not a great show. It has big writing problems and a supporting cast with a very shallow bench. Thus individual great performances tend to get ignored.

Mr. Robot is firing on every cylinder, impeccable writing, perfect execution, masterclass performances from even the smallest characs. It will be very hard to snub.

When people talked about OB getting snubbed, they weren't like "oh what a great show, it's such a shame, it deserves so much," they talked about a single performance.

When people talk about MR, they talk about the plot, they talk about the music, they talk about the performances, they talk about the writing.

So, no, I got your point 100%. There are many reasons OB got snubbed, and MR suffers from none of its shortcomings.

No, it's Bank of E in present day.

I wasn't sure if that was present day but going back Blank Slate also has a different street number.

EDIT: Yeah... OB's writing is pretty average, especially after the first season, they went into that show with zero planning beyond season one and it's shown. The last season was better than two though but I've never seen anyone praise anything about the show outside the acting, mostly Tatiana's.

a.wd

And just when you think "It's pretty spectacular" they go so meta, that people are going to be digesting/dissecting this for ages, and ramp up the performance from the cast to ludicrous levels.

#Teammrrobot hell yeah.

Hyun Sai

Am I the only one who LOVE Terry Colby's character ?

The actor is delivering this nonchalant douchebaggery with such ease, he is stealing every scene he is in.

Nah.

OB gets snubbed because at it's core, it's not a great show. It has big writing problems and a supporting cast with a very shallow bench. Thus individual great performances tend to get ignored.

Mr. Robot is firing on every cylinder, impeccable writing, perfect execution, masterclass performances from even the smallest characs. It will be very hard to snub.

When people talked about OB getting snubbed, they weren't like "oh what a great show, it's such a shame, it deserves so much," they talked about a single performance.

When people talk about MR, they talk about the plot, they talk about the music, they talk about the performances, they talk about the writing.

So, no, I got your point 100%. There are many reasons OB got snubbed, and MR suffers from none of its shortcomings.

That isn't how the Emmys work. Winners and nominations tend to be a mix of very popular/mainstream shows or prestige shows (weighted towards the former). In its current form, Mr Robot is neither. The awards are very much influenced by press attention. Shows like Orphan Black and Mr Robot (and you can include Hannibal too) are all shows that seem to have developed very strong cult followings, are critically well-received but aren't really taking off beyond that in terms of ratings or media attention. The voting base of the Emmys don't really pay attention beyond those types of prestige/mainstream shows, this is why shows like Downton Abbey seem to be magically nominated every year as being at the same level as Mad Men and Breaking Bad.

Maybe that will change in future seasons of Mr Robot but it won't be hard to snub a show like Mr Robot at all.

That isn't how the Emmys work. Winners and nominations tend to be a mix of very popular/mainstream shows or prestige shows (weighted towards the former). In its current form, Mr Robot is neither. The awards are very much influenced by press attention. Shows like Orphan Black and Mr Robot (and you can include Hannibal too) are all shows that seem to have developed very strong cult followings, are critically well-received but aren't really taking off beyond that in terms of ratings or media attention. The voting base of the Emmys don't really pay attention beyond those types of prestige/mainstream shows, this is why shows like Downton Abbey seem to be magically nominated every year as being at the same level as Mad Men and Breaking Bad.

Maybe that will change in future seasons of Mr Robot but it won't be hard to snub a show like Mr Robot at all.

Gotta disagree, man. Vultche is so hungry for Mr Robot clicks, they post-promoted their "Mr Robot Answers" piece from last week this morning like crazy even though there wasn't a shred of new information in it.

Airing on USA is holding it back a bit but that's just an access issue.

It's not on Mad Men level, but it won't languish like Hannibal either. It's also got a nice bonus being in a narrative with UnReal and getting ink in a billion "This Aired On WHAAAAAAAAT?" thinkpieces.

jett

D-Member
dat choice of ending music

I guess they really want to drive the point home that they really like Fight Club. :p

Great episode, this show is fantastic. I'm glad they got this particular part over with.

Dion314

Neo Member
Digging the self awareness of the show. They KNEW the viewers would pick up on Mr. Robot not being real...so the reveal being Elliott finding out is brilliant. The Pixies cover was the icing on the cake. Kudos to them for handling it so well.

Definitely glad to see Tyrell going to shit and it's a great contrast between him and Elliott. Tyrell is a "perfect" guy who is failing while Eliott is extremely flawed but still succeeding in his general goals.

This show deserves any and all awards it can get. Such a fantastic piece of work from everybody involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom