• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mr. Robot |OT| Byte Club - a new hacker thriller - Wednesdays on USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtcn63

That is some

latest

shit. You know.

I admit, the show is still pretty damn good.

Tugatrix

Oh my fucking god the score of this show is nailing it, piano where is my mind was the perfect homage to fight club.

Elliot and Tyrel team up, what good could come from this

chefbags

The preview for the finale looks like all this buildup is going to insane levels. I mean the past 9 episodes are chaos but I think shit goes down even more.

someday

Banned
So wait you're telling me there's a connection between Ben Elliot and Glory Mr. Robot?
lol

This show is pretty awesome. Much better than Humans turned out to be too considering I started watching them around the same time. I also love the fact that the Elliot was in Twilight.

Komo

Banned
I just...

What the heck does Elliot get out of Tyrell joining him? Dude's got nothing to his name asides from being a burgeoning serial killer.

Arguably it would be better than nothing at all. I'm actually quite happy to see that kind of connection between him and Elliot, even if it probably won't end well

When my friend brought up the gun in the Popcorn machine, my mind instantly thought "Oh no, the gun's gonna go off and shoot Tyrell!" ... That would actually be hilarious though, tbh.

Still, I've grown to really like Tyrell and I hope he doesn't get killed off anytime soon. The series is peaking and I'm absolutely loving the direction it's going. The last episode was so heavy, and so well written. I love this series!

Dare I say that it's the new Breaking Bad?

Frog-fu

Banned
I'm having a hard time imaging Elliot as Mr Robot in those scenes where he goes on a mad tirade, puts a gun to another man's head and uploads videos of himself monologuing to the world. I'mma have to see him do it to reconcile the fact he is Mr Robot.

jett

D-Member
I'm having a hard time imaging Elliot as Mr Robot in those scenes where he goes on a mad tirade, puts a gun to another man's head and uploads videos of himself monologuing to the world. I'mma have to see him do it to reconcile the fact he is Mr Robot.
Elliot is on dat Tyler Durden thang.

Snow

Did anyone else not buy the Angela character this episode? I don't know if she had a relevant degree that we weren't told about or if it was just white privilege but why did she look surprised that she didn't get a job at that law firm? I could understand asking for an internship but an actual job. Gurl please.
So I kind of took it as her thinking she could 'help out' and just hoping it might lead to a job, but the lawyer lady immediately seeing through her and shutting her down.

She apparently does have a law degree though. I don't remember if it is mentioned in any episode, but I was randomly going through Mr. Robot interview videos on youtube and the character's actress mentioned Angela went to law school.

Love how Elliot brought the viewers to along as "you knew all along. Didn't you?"

Damn I was expecting more from Tyrell even the wife wants to dump him.
But then that end Tyrell being part of the team. I was expecting Elliot vs Tyrell during the series

I do hope Angela joins the company just to have a perspective within

Also love every intro credit scene

I loved when Elliot was getting angry. You could see the sheer rage boiling over, and he wasn't being all socially awkward anymore, that was something else coming out.

awp69

Just finished this week's episode. Amazing stuff. Rami Malek totally rocked.

I need that piano cover at the end. Actually got goosebumps when that came on.

It's actually been years since I last watched Fight Club. I think after next week's finale, I'm going to re-watch it. That, and probably this whole season again.

Amir0x

Banned
That whole scene leading up to that simple, explosive line "I felt wonder" and the piano of Where Is My Mind was just genius grade television.

This show is...damn, I'll be fucking morose as fuck if it gets cancelled in under 3 seasons.

Nyx

Watched 7 episodes in 2 evenings, holy shit man! This show is amazing!

Read that it's the best rated series since Breaking Bad and I can definitely agree.

Dilly

Banned
I'm catching up to this great show. I can't help but wonder how great a Max Payne movie/series would be made by these people.

Just watched the last 2 episodes. This show is so well executed. I'm in a constant state of surprise at how good it is while watching. To think I thought it was some dumb WWE production or tie in at first when USA was showing the ads months and months ago. I hope it can remain this good moving forward into season 2+ as they're under the pressure of a tighter schedule.

Also, random observation: Tyrell was shot way tighter and shakier than anyone else in episode 8, and when he steps off the elevator it felt so similar to something I'd seen before, then it hit me with the last close-up of the scene- It's a less extreme take on 2 shots from The Insider trying to physically put you into his headspace.

229c261.gif

UsojwS9.gif

fB9245.png

5xotcX.png

sirap

the problem is that Elliot was in the building getting a tour while Slater was in the van with the two other guys. That's why I said I'm my previous post that Slater may be talking to them, but the other people don't see him, because he's not there.

What if the other members of fsociety are also constructs of his mind, and the only real person is Elliot and his sister. Highly unlikely but at this point who knows how fragmented his mind is.

8bit

Knows the Score
My god, just when I thought the soundtrack couldn't get any better, they go and use a haunting piano version of one of my fav Pixies songs. Outstanding.

The music has been incredibly well chosen (Kool Thing!, FKA Twigs!), although there is a weird coincidence from a few weeks ago that I wanted to mention.

The use of Lee & Nancy's Some Velvet Morning opened one episode, but and it closed with Tangerine Dream's Love On a Real Train. I was initially mistaken to think the TD track was on their album Phaedra, the name of the subject of Some Velvet Morning. Anyway.

That Where Is My Mind cover is here, BTW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NZdggNUvq0

UrbanRats

I just...

What the heck does Elliot get out of Tyrell joining him? Dude's got nothing to his name asides from being a burgeoning serial killer.
Well technically he's still *just* a murderer, i don't think he killed other people (yet).

I'm looking forward to him teaming up with Elliot, and i assume he can share some insights in the inner workings of E corp.
Love how Elliot brought the viewers to along as "you knew all along. Didn't you?"
Yeah that was a nice and honest way to handle it, without pretending it was some huge plot twist from the left field.

-griffy-

Banned
Just watched the last 2 episodes. This show is so well executed. I'm in a constant state of surprise at how good it is while watching. To think I thought it was some dumb WWE production or tie in at first when USA was showing the ads months and months ago. I hope it can remain this good moving forward into season 2+ as they're under the pressure of a tighter schedule.

Also, random observation: Tyrell was shot way tighter and shakier than anyone else in episode 8, and when he steps off the elevator it felt so similar to something I'd seen before, then it hit me with the last close-up of the scene- It's a less extreme take on 2 shots from The Insider trying to physically put you into his headspace.

229c261.gif

UsojwS9.gif

fB9245.png

5xotcX.png
Nice connection. I was randomly thinking of watching The Insider again this morning coincidentally. Wonder if Mr. Robot activated something in my brain subconsciously.

That whole scene leading up to that simple, explosive line "I felt wonder" and the piano of Where Is My Mind was just genius grade television.

This show is...damn, I'll be fucking morose as fuck if it gets cancelled in under 3 seasons.

I had to roll out my Xfinity app to watch those last two minutes again (and again and again). The USA app and website have the absolute worst streaming I've ever seen.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
What was the not wanting to go home, and don't worry she's not there anymore exchange about. Was there some issue with his mother that I have forgotten about? Is it something with Darlene?

What was the not wanting to go home, and don't worry she's not there anymore exchange about. Was there some issue with his mother that I have forgotten about? Is it something with Darlene?

They've shown a few scenes and hinted multiple times that his mother was very cruel.

Siegcram

I am so impressed they managed to do the Fight Club thing without it feeling like a rip-off.
Because they didn't make it the central mystery of the show.

The whole nature of Elliot and MR never was that important in the grand scheme of things. It didn't really matter if you guessed it beforehand (which a lot of people did).
It's a distraction to make things like the Darlene revelation that much more impactful.

We have to remember that according to the Esmail this whole season is just set-up for the actual plot.

Amir0x

Banned
I had to roll out my Xfinity app to watch those last two minutes again (and again and again). The USA app and website have the absolute worst streaming I've ever seen.

This series is just filled with virtuoso film making. And the music selections... has there been a sour note yet? Every selection seems pitch perfect. It's always so good.

I am in love with this show.

Siegcram said:
The whole nature of Elliot and MR never was that important in the grand scheme of things. It didn't really matter if you guessed it beforehand (which a lot of people did).
It's a distraction to make things like the Darlene revelation that much more impactful.

On top of that, the whole set up means that every season, no matter how much we know Mr. Robot isn't real (as was obvious from the start), is from the perspective of an unreliable narrator. Every season it's possible we can encounter characters, scenes that are hazy, open to interpretation, featuring unreal creations of Elliot's mind. We are completely untethered to reality as we follow Elliot. THAT is what makes the show captivating, not the reality-or-not of one specific character.

UrbanRats

Yeah. His mom was terrible to him in his flashbacks throughout the show.

To a comical degree i might add.
I know this show isn't one for super subtlety, but still, some of those scenes were pretty over the top, even for this show.
That one vision/flashback Elliot had at Steel Mountain rubbed me the wrong way, in this sense.

Siegcram

On top of that, the whole set up means that every season, no matter how much we know Mr. Robot isn't real (as was obvious from the start), is from the perspective of an unreliable narrator. Every season it's possible we can encounter characters, scenes that are hazy, open to interpretation, featuring unreal creations of Elliot's mind. We are completely untethered to reality as we follow Elliot. THAT is what makes the show captivating, not the reality-or-not of one specific character.
I wholeheartedly agree.
The unreliable narrator and fourth wall breaking, when done right, are among the most engrossing tools a show can use. If you're lazy, you get shit like House MD or House of Lies, but when done right, you get a show that manages to surprise its viewers in an age of instant screen-caps and Twitter.

I'm really curious as to how far they can push dissociative disorders and audience involvement when pretty much everyone watching is "in on it".

kingkitty

caught up with this show, it's pretty good. I figured Mr. Robot was the dad, but I didn't bank that he was Elliot's imagination as well. Also Elliot having a sister really threw me for a loop.

Hope we get to see more of Christian Slater.

Give Malek an emmy nom please.

Dalek

I think one of my favorites moments in the series so far is in the most recent episode. In the flashback to his childhood, Elliott and his dad exit the store and the camera pulls back for the title sequence, but this time the "Mr. Robot" title card is on the store awning and it's the same typeface/logo-and then the other credit appears. That's confidence-brilliant, brilliant stuff.

Curufinwe

I think one of my favorites moments in the series so far is in the most recent episode. In the flashback to his childhood, Elliott and his dad exit the store and the camera pulls back for the title sequence, but this time the "Mr. Robot" title card is on the store awning and it's the same typeface/logo-and then the other credit appears. That's confidence-brilliant, brilliant stuff.

I agree. That was perfectly done.

I loved that, it's not often that the credits themselves play a part in a shows story like that.

chefbags

I chuckled when I saw that. Pure brilliance.

JDSN

Banned

It was great, for a show that plays with an unreliable narrator seeing the actual logo assured me that this segment was 100% real.

aku:jiki

Why isn't this show on every day? I think my heart might break if this show turns to shit, especially so soon after Orphan Black did. I can only handle good shows going bad ever so often.

It also fully addressed the nagging thought I had that "Mr Robot" was a really cheesy name for a super hacker to call himself.
It is, but I mean, it's also accurate. People did have handles like that back in the day and Slater's character is, what, 50 (if he were real)? Makes sense he'd still have the same handle as he did when BBSes were still a thing.

He would also still use the term "handle"!

I'm an avid media consumer and with so many good shows on television right now I can say every week that "this" or "that" show is one of the best things I've seen on television but I don't think I can do that anymore with Mr.Robot airing. It really is the best thing on television right now.

Everyone saw the Fight Club twist coming and I was no different. I figured I would be in line for a small let down no matter how they handled it after it being telegraphed all season long. When everyone knows a surprise is coming it's hard to be too excited. Boy was I wrong.

This show continues to blow my mind. Making the viewer complicit in the deception about his father with the "you knew all along" comment. Acknowledging the Fight Club similarities with the beautifully played piano rendition. The way they played that scene so self reverentially made us understand it was less about the "twist" and more about how Elliot arrived where he is (Elliot's motive for the Hack and wanting to "save the world" by showing the crippling guilt he feels about his father)

I'll add that for the most part I think this show is beautifully shot, well acted, excellent score and a wildly entertaining plot that constantly keeps me coming back for more but not so much an emotionally charged show. For myself at least. That all changed with this episode. Remi Malek just sold it. The rage and despair he still feels over his father. The total feeling of helplessness when he realized that his father is dead and he still hasn't let go. Haunting stuff. He had me all choked up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom