• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mr. Robot |OT| Byte Club - a new hacker thriller - Wednesdays on USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frog-fu

Banned
I'm an avid media consumer and with so many good shows on television right now I can say every week that "this" or "that" show is one of the best things I've seen on television but I don't think I can do that anymore with Mr.Robot airing. It really is the best thing on television right now.

It's crazy how good TV has been these past few years, and particularly in 2015 in terms of new shows. Discussion threads are coming to be fun come this December/early 2016.

Dr.Acula

Banned
It is, but I mean, it's also accurate. People did have handles like that back in the day and Slater's character is, what, 50 (if he were real)? Makes sense he'd still have the same handle as he did when BBSes were still a thing.

He would also still use the term "handle"!

It's an alias yo. And Mr. Robot is cooler than Acid Burn or Zero Cool :)

Anyhow, my alias from the mid-90s was Dr.Acula, so whatevs.

And Christian Slater's gravestone would make his character his own age -45.

I don't think anyone else on the show called anyone Mr. Robot, that was just how Elliot regarded (did he, or was it like The Narrator in Fight Club, but in reverse, where the character is never given a name?) Christian Slater because he blocked out the store they had.

Omzz

Alright I'm all caught up now. Really loving the show a lot. Never been hooked to one like this a long time. Hyped for the finale next week

ARK322

Neo Member
I'm curious, has anyone gone back to previous episodes to see if the Mr. Robot character is used a consistent way -- as in, all of his actions and interactions with people fitting into the fact that he's not real?

dominuece

This is great television. I love the
unreliable narrator
aspect of this show.

So many nods to movies/tv I like: Pulp Fiction, The Matrix, American Psycho, Breaking Bad, Fight Club, etc.

The characters keep developing and Darlene is <3

Plus the music.

I want seasons of this!

Elliott's delusions have been present in some form or other, both in presentation and in narrative, since the very first episode and are a major motif of the show. How is that in any way cheating unless you just inherently cannot handle the idea of a story told from the perspective of someone who is unstable?

I may be wrong but I think he meant for that to come out like he, the poster, was an unreliable narrator. AKA screw the cheating (but not really cause I can't be believed to tell the truth)

Fret

Great show but I'm a bit concerned where they'd go in a second season - seems to have a good basic "idea" that can only really last one season (mainly the
unreliable narrator aspect surprising the audience with twists, could get frustrating
). They'll probably make it work for season two, but still

I enjoy the show a lot, so I'll forgive it, but I do think it's trying to have its cake and eat it too.

On the one hand we have a plot that's clearly shown through Elliot's warped perception. Names are changed, people are invented whole cloth, and we have Elliot's monologue throughout.

On the other hand, we're constantly seeing scenes that Elliot would have no idea about, like most of Tyrell's story. It's not consistent. When Tyrell and Elliot are together, whose perspective are we supposed to be seeing it from?

But, again, I think the unorthodox approach can be forgiven because I like that the audience isn't being patronized, and I enjoy the superb writing and acting. This show is incredible.

Fret

I enjoy the show a lot, so I'll forgive it, but I do think it's trying to have its cake and eat it too.

On the one hand we have a plot that's clearly shown through Elliot's warped perception. Names are changed, people are invented whole cloth, and we have Elliot's monologue throughout.

On the other hand, we're constantly seeing scenes that Elliot would have no idea about, like most of Tyrell's story. It's not consistent. When Tyrell and Elliot are together, whose perspective are we supposed to be seeing it from?

But, again, I think the unorthodox approach can be forgiven because I like that the audience isn't being patronized, and I enjoy the superb writing and acting. This show is incredible.

Doesn't Elliot say at one point
"Do you know more than me? I created you, that isn't fair."

Elliott's delusions have been present in some form or other, both in presentation and in narrative, since the very first episode and are a major motif of the show. How is that in any way cheating unless you just inherently cannot handle the idea of a story told from the perspective of someone who is unstable?
The scene with him in the car with the guy trying to be CTO was cheating. Because of how the CTO-less guy acted later in the same ep telling Elliott he knew he was behind it all. So Mr Robot isn't always Elliott from what they show us.

The unreliable narrator is just annoying by default.

Yea it's sorta nice that his imaginary friend is the audience but I dunno. I still only liked 3 characters the entire time. Shayla, Trenton and Vera

The scene with him in the car with the guy trying to be CTO was cheating. Because of how the CTO-less guy acted later in the same ep telling Elliott he knew he was behind it all. So Mr Robot isn't always Elliott from what they show us.

Honestly, this is the most intriguing mystery. It seems like the show is pretty intricate with what they're trying to do. There must be a reason that scene is there. I really wanna know.

Honestly, this is the most intriguing mystery. It seems like the show is pretty intricate with what they're trying to do. There must be a reason that scene is there. I really wanna know.
The only reason I can think of is to cheat the reveal later by making you question the speculation all along that he was Mr Robot. Also I just remembered the popcorn gun scene as well doesn't fit. Things not narratored by Elliott has to be assumed as reliable as he's the only one unstable mentally and remembering. Everyone else is just "boring" unstable

chefbags

The only reason I can think of is to cheat the reveal later by making you question the speculation all along that he was Mr Robot. Also I just remembered the popcorn gun scene as well doesn't fit. Things not narratored by Elliott has to be assumed as reliable as he's the only one unstable mentally and remembering. Everyone else is just "boring" unstable

I guess to each their own then.

I'm all in with the narrative being focused on a single person because it's something I haven't seen on TV and a perspective like that is fresh to my eyes.

I like the show but some stuff just seems to not be addressed:

- Prisoners all escape, nothing on that
- Elliot would be suspect number one since Vera's brother is shot dead outside the prison so they'd look into who visited him
- Elliot seems OK with Shayla being dead for some reason like he has no desire to find Vera

Basically anything associated with Vera is not addressed. He's by far more interesting than the other antagonists as well.

squidyj

I like the show but some stuff just seems to not be addressed:

- Prisoners all escape, nothing on that
- Elliot would be suspect number one since Vera's brother is shot dead outside the prison so they'd look into who visited him
- Elliot seems OK with Shayla being dead for some reason like he has no desire to find Vera

Basically anything associated with Vera is not addressed. He's by far more interesting than the other antagonists as well.

Yeah that's the one thing. Two prisoners escaped and it was a massive manhunt and in the news all the time IRL.

EVERYBODY gets out in Mr Robot's world and nothing happens. It's weird.

Yeah that's the one thing. Two prisoners escaped and it was a massive manhunt and in the news all the time IRL.

Probably meant more threads to handle so they just ended it. It's as if those parts of the series don't exist anymore. Anything happening in current episodes isn't affected by those incidents.

I guess to each their own then.

I'm all in with the narrative being focused on a single person because it's something I haven't seen on TV and a perspective like that is fresh to my eyes.

but the show isn't about a single person. At worse it's 2 people with mental issues. Elliot and Tyrell. At best it's 5 people with issues.
You can't trust anything Elliott narrates which is ok. But then you can't really just have your season/world revolve around that then lie about certain things. You might as well as not bother building up these other characters outside of him if nothing can be trusted for what you see. At least Scream has a excuse for it as that's it's source material/genre tries to make you disbelieve everyone's motives

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air

There was a month long time jump. Which we the viewers have no idea what happened during. The police could of caught the majority of them and Eliot just didn't tell the audience. Add to the fact Mr Robot might of taken over as the dominant personality to cope with Elliots guilt and there is a decent chance Elliot doesn't really know what happened either.

On another note I am ok with Vera and the other prisoners escaping and it not being the main topic for the rest of the season. It gives the writers something to return to later since I doubt we'll never see the repercussion of a bunch of criminals escaping into the night due to Elliot's hack.

I'm curious, has anyone gone back to previous episodes to see if the Mr. Robot character is used a consistent way -- as in, all of his actions and interactions with people fitting into the fact that he's not real?

if you go back you can see the scarf and maybe tghe jacket on the hooks in Elliott's apartment.

UrbanRats

Screw the
unreliable narrator
trope use and storytelling cheating

That's the best trope there is.
Humans are inherently biased, they twist reality in their own heads all the time, so it's a very natural thing, which is why i like it so much.
Even when it's mixed in with mental illness, like in this case.

Enco

Humans are inherently biased, they twist reality in their own heads all the time, so it's a very natural thing, which is why i like it so much.
Gotta agree.

Movies/TV shows need more misdirection, lies, and unreliable story telling.

chefbags

Gotta agree.

Movies/TV shows need more misdirection, lies, and unreliable story telling.

Yeah I think nowadays there's a certain type plot you can always tell on film/tv and with a show like mr robot, p misdirecting is in a way that's surprising but also not utilized in a way just for shock factor but for the sake of character development as well as plot is something so unique to see and have it unfold.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

It shares that with a lot of good shows though. Breaking bad had a character that people in the show knew deliberately collide two planes and it was barely mentioned again. It would be world news for months.

rtcn63

It's going to depend on the execution really. Using it to gloss over a minor continuity error or two? No biggie, it's TV. But if they start doing it haphazardly, then I think it'll hurt the quality of the show. Let's hope it doesn't become an issue during later seasons.

Snow

That month long gap and something so impactful only being referred to in episodes post Shayla's death with some oblique references to Elliot 'having a shitty/rough month' seem too deliberate to not come back at some point. I'm willing to bet that something happened to him while processing that trauma.

On a slightly different note, one thing that has been going through my mind over these last two episodes is something from the first episode: Elliot reprogramming himself to see, hear and read 'Evil Corp' wherever 'E Corp' pops up in the world. Which at the time seemed like a cute gimmick, but thinking about it you realize what an insane, extreme thing that is to do to yourself. And to pull it off so completely. To quote Elliot (using transcripts from here):
E Corp, the largest conglomerate in the world... they're so big, they're literally everywhere. A perfect monster of modern society. The E might as well stand for Evil. In fact, after a thorough, intensive self-reprogramming, that's all my mind hears, sees, or reads when they pop up in my world. Evil Corp.
Him being able to change what his mind "hears, sees or reads" through "a thorough, intensive self-reprogramming" makes you wonder if some of the craziness he's experiencing (hallucinating his dad, forgetting large chunks of his childhood) is through deliberate action by his past self. Him finding that disc with personal info he had forgotten certainly fits with that.

Also, I think that the Evil Corp stuff pops up in scenes where Elliot isn't there, possibly hinting that the unreliable narrator stuff and his self deceptions reach further than just scenes he's in. And it might hook into the meta-narrative aspects of the show where the viewer/his imaginary friend are mentioned and are part of the narrative.

squidyj

It shares that with a lot of good shows though. Breaking bad had a character that people in the show knew deliberately collide two planes and it was barely mentioned again. It would be world news for months.

that's not how it worked though.

He didn't do it on purpose, it was an accident after his daughter's death
It was totally on the news

I'm re-watching it right now with my wife (it's her first run through) and yeah, they're very careful about it. We're up to episode 5 and some scenes take on a completely different meaning upon seeing them a second time. The last scene of episode 2 where Mr. Robot "pushes" Elliot off the pier makes total sense knowing what we know now. Also, in the scene where all of Fsociety are together in the arcade and Elliot comes up with the plan to hack Steel Mountain, Mr. Robot interrupts a conversation and steps right in front of Elliot when doing it so everyone is still looking at Elliot as if he was still doing the talking. There's a lot of careful framing like that.

As for the other revelation, for example, when Darlene breaks into Elliot's apartment and he questions her about how she knew where he lived and she is almost baffled and says "why wouldn't I?" At the time we assume she hacked him but in hindsight it's obvious. I've noticed lots of scene like that with Elliot and Darlene.

My wife doesn't read forums or anything so she has no idea still that there's even a suspicion of something like this going on. Her mind is going to be so blown in a few episode's time. I can't wait to see her reaction.

Omzz

Ok it's been bugging me, what does Mr. Robot say at the end of episode 2 when he pushes Elliot off? I still can't make it out

WTF, no he didn't. He was distraught over his daughters death and wasn't paying attention and thats what caused the plane crash.

I wonder why that lady told Angela that she couldn't work in the office.

Because she didn't have a law degree for starters or experience in the field.

That scene annoyed me so fucking much, then Angela was actually shocked the woman said no, asking why. Ugh, if you ever wanted to see entitlement/privilege in action, that scene encapsulated it.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
ypJG10K.gif

Siegcram

still a privilege move
and Angela is the worse character on the show. at least Vera had a code
am i getting that reference right? I never watched The Wire
I didn't get any sort of privilege or expectation from that, rather her just being closely working on this for many years and having a huge personal and emotional investment in the outcome.

She is the official counterpart to Elliot's conspiratorial, anarchist approach. And far from the worst character on the show. Her and Darlene both started out as underdeveloped and superficial and have both been narratively redeemed, imo.

Herbs

Banned
I loved that Elliot pointed out that we knew all along. The writers knew that twist had already been used to full effect in Fight Club and just anticipated everyone figuring out but said fuck it, we've got more story to tell and that's a small part of what we're building. Enjoy the ride.

ivysaur12

Banned
Just finished episode 106.

Besides the unbelievably amazing eggroll scene, MY GOD. That ending. Rami. Fuck. What a fucking fantastic episode of television but good god Rami Malek is a fucking phenomenal actor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom