• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mr. Robot |OT| Byte Club - a new hacker thriller - Wednesdays on USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
damn that's how they start the episode. Now I'm worried about season 2 on how they can top season 1. that one shot end makes season 2 promising

that suicide shot. pretty disturbing I've seen on tv so far.
I bet its Tyrell that knocked, and speaking of Tyrell. his wife is hotter with the new look.

excellent season 1

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Stephanie Corneliussen

Tyrell is Mr. Robot is Elliot confirmed.

zFMXzpv.png

Edit out the word "fuck", keep "bullshit", "asshole" and a guy blowing his brains out. America ladies and gentlemen.

That was seriously one of the most brutal and realistic looking suicides I've seen in any show or movie.

I'm surprised they got away with it.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I thought he was playing a transwoman in this.

Check the after credits scene and check the credits for the episode. It's Whiterose/BD Wong 100%.

Part of a secret society with the E Corp president.

Yes, but he also runs the Chinese Dark Warriors or whatever that hacker group is called. So... why is he with them?

Oh, someone on Reddit figured out it was Big Mac.

I figured "hamburger" but that wouldn't make sense with the line.

I must be ignorant in current events but why did this episode get delayed again?

People are saying this is similar to Bud Dwyer or whatever, which seeing the video of that, it is. BUT, that happened YEARS ago, what event happened recently?

Virgina Newscaster murders that were shown live and "first person." The shot is similar despite being a nod (reference) to Bud Dwayer in the 1960's(?).

Yeah it was pretty obvious they added that in way after the fact but it didn't seem to stand out as "HEY IT'S ADR" audiowise or anything though.

I dunno. That broke in July (the 20th, anyway) wouldn't that at least give them enough turnaround time to shoot with a script and then get it on air?

jtb

Banned
This show needs to be careful with its mythology; it's already moving at a breakneck pace creating a dangerously convoluted maze... I love it, but I've seen way too many shows crumble beneath the weight of its own infrastructure. Not unlike Fight Club, which starts out as this brilliant cultural satire before it gets too caught up in its own inertia and spins out of control into a pretty incoherent and weightless rush to wrap up loose ends. (And I say that as a huge fan of both Fight Club and Mr. Robot).

Biggest complaint this season is that the show, stylistically, just doesn't quite feel the same as it did in the pilot, which was much more deliberate, much more myopic and surreal (as opposed to outright fantastical, which is kind of where we're at now). A lot of that is to be expected, given the way the scope of the show has unfolded and expanded, but some of that is a sligh drop in production quality/value and (!!!!!) no more synth music. Huge disappointment. The licensed music is usually pretty good but the tone for the show was defined by that synth of the pilot. I hope they get Mac Quayle on board for a full season's worth of music next season instead of just two or three tracks or, if he's not up to the job (I know there was some creative differences along the way), then find somebody who can get the job done.

KHarvey16

They certainly modeled the suicide scene on Dwyer and got the details right, if memory serves. The tone of this finale reminded me a bit of the final season of Breaking Bad in a way, where what came immediately before was more like the height and this was the coming down in its wake. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

What a great season of television.

jtb

Banned
Also, while I like how they handled the hack, albeit a bit predictable... it also had the side effect of meaning that a lot happened in this episode without anything actually happening in this episode. Anticlimactic is one thing, boring is another.

Didn't like the season finale. Outside of the hack going off it doesn't appear anything happened. Show needed a way to make Christian Slater relevant in season 2 and that's what it did.

The only thing I'm curious/worried about is I wonder if Esmail actually believes any of the shit that Mr. Robot said in that speech or if he means it to be purposefully ridiculous?

Outstanding finale! (as if there was ever any doubt) And the week delay was definitely justified now having seen THAT particular scene!!

Is Tyrrell's wife the most terrifying character on television? The actress does an amazing job at playing her. She's fucking frightening lol. The music in that scene was godly too.

The time jump was a great idea. Really unexpected and sets up a mystery for next season. There were lots of loose threads actually, so they've plenty of material for another equally brilliant season. Unfortunately the after-credits scene was spoiled slightly by BD Wong's name being in the opening cast roll so I knew he was gonna be in the episode and he hadn't shown up by that point.

I'm so glad Micheal Cristofer is sticking around. What a great actor. Loved him in Rubicon and love him in this. He has such a wonderful way of speaking. I'm always surprised that he's American, he has a voice like he's from Germany or something.

Overall, a 10/10 for the season as a whole. The best new show I've seen in years and years. The fact that more people here aren't watching it is criminal.

ivysaur12

Banned
Ehhhhhhh.

I didn't love it, and I honestly thought this was one of the weaker episodes of the season. Blowing past the actual hack and immediate fallout felt like such a narrative cop out, and blowing past that moment robbed so much of the momentum of the season. If we're going to deal with Elliot's headspace since then, do that during. Or in season 2. It just felt like something huge that we've been building to all season was missing from this episode.

Even if there's a longer term pay off, it really felt short changed watching this episode.

Dr.Acula

Banned
That Ashley Madison adr tho

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-wa...-power-to-telegraph-the-big-twist/single-page

Hitflix: Leaving aside yesterday's tragedy, what has the experience been like having real events so quickly parallel stories you told on the show? It got to the point where you had to make a last-minute to the finale scene between Krista and Lenny so he could acknowledge the Ashley Madison hack's effect on his life.

Sam Esmail: It's strange. And just to speak to the specific Ashley Madison line. That was originally in the script. If you remember from the pilot, that's one of the things Elliot hacked about him, and one of the things Elliot used to manipulate him. When I wrote that in the season finale, I went, "Well, I'm kind of overdoing this," referencing Ashley Madison. I wound up cutting it before we were shooting it. And then literally, the news happened again. This is too much. It's almost as if the world wanted me to keep the scene as intended. It was actually purely a plot point. It wasn't that Elliot had released that information, but that these other hackers who hacked Ashley Madison did it, and that's why Lenny was at this desperate point of his life. The whole thing about our show continually having things as a mirror reality, I can only say that it's strange. A lot of people bring it up as some talent I have in being on the zeitgeist of what's going on in the current events. I don't think that's true at all. I just think that hacking is becoming a lot more prominent in the news. Hackers are obviously getting a lot of the spotlight now since the Sony hack. For whatever reason, we've been step in toe with that. We even got picked up on the day the Sony hack happened. That's just stuff I can't predict. In general, the feeling is incredibly surreal.

So at the end of the ep when Phillip Price says he knows who's responsible for the hack, he's saying he knows at the very least it came from Allsafe, if not Elliot directly, which is why he is so focused on having Angela around. He's planning on using Angela to get to Elliot somehow.

yoplay

Outstanding finale! (as if there was ever any doubt) And the week delay was definitely justified now having seen THAT particular scene!!

Is Tyrrell's wife the most terrifying character on television? The actress does an amazing job at playing her. She's fucking frightening lol. The music in that scene was godly too.

The time jump was a great idea. Really unexpected and sets up a mystery for next season. There were lots of loose threads actually, so they've plenty of material for another equally brilliant season. Unfortunately the after-credits scene was spoiled slightly by BD Wong's name being in the opening cast roll so I knew he was gonna be in the episode and he hadn't shown up by that point.

I'm so glad Micheal Cristofer is sticking around. What a great actor. Loved him in Rubicon and love him in this. He has such a wonderful way of speaking. I'm always surprised that he's American, he has a voice like he's from Germany or something.

Overall, a 10/10 for the season as a whole. The best new show I've seen in years and years. The fact that more people here aren't watching it is criminal.

Please don't remind me. Rubicon deserved better than what it got. That show was going to be the next great thing, but was cut short by AMC of all places.

We only got the fallout but I'm fine with it, that Joanna though...

My guess is that s2 is essentially mgs2
MGS2 popped in my head during that post credits scene.
I can definitely see why they pushed this back. Holy shit...

They went for the full Bud Dwyer on that one.
Nah, I figured he was like "we're all fucked, so might as well burn the entire building down."

Didn't expect that. But I can see why USA waited a week. That seems similar to the Bud Dwayer suicide.
Not that I've seen that video, so I can't say how accurate that is.

Bud was a politician but yeah it kind of was from what I remember. Even without the news of last week I think I would've saw that coming when he lashed out about not having his bag near him and "Hey Man, Nice Shot" by Filter started playing in my head.

I can recognize the back of BD Wong's head a mile away :lol
Yeah, I didn't notice his name on the credits but yeah, knew right away it was him.
Yeah it was pretty obvious they added that in way after the fact but it didn't seem to stand out as "HEY IT'S ADR" audiowise or anything though.

Apparently that was originally in the pilot script as one of the sites Elliot hacked to get info on the guy but Esmail took it out.

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-wa...-power-to-telegraph-the-big-twist/single-page

So at the end of the ep when Phillip Price says he knows who's responsible for the hack, he's saying he knows at the very least it came from Allsafe, if not Elliot directly, which is why he is so focused on having Angela around. He's planning on using Angela to get to Elliot somehow.

I think he's talking about Tyrrell. It seems like the most logical line of thought for him.

Would also explain what happened to Tyrrell.

Impulsor

I literally had no effing idea about this show, stumbled upon it yesterday, watched an episode... needed more.

Loving it so far.

Amir0x

Banned
This fucking show. What an astonishing freshman season. I need time to digest it all, but right now I feel confident saying that was one of the best first seasons of any show.

And that tantalizing final after credits scene. The wait is already too long.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I think he's talking about Tyrrell. It seems like the most logical line of thought for him.

Would also explain what happened to Tyrrell.

I considered Tyrell too, but he seems to have a keen interest in Angela, and AFAIK she and Tyrell don't have any kind of relationship.

I hope Tyrell is in a more interesting place than a shallow grave.

Ehhhhhhh.

I didn't love it, and I honestly thought this was one of the weaker episodes of the season. Blowing past the actual hack and immediate fallout felt like such a narrative cop out, and blowing past that moment robbed so much of the momentum of the season. If we're going to deal with Elliot's headspace since then, do that during. Or in season 2. It just felt like something huge that we've been building to all season was missing from this episode.

Even if there's a longer term pay off, it really felt short changed watching this episode.

This about sums it up for me.

What Joanna (Tyrell's wife) said to Elliot

In danish: "Hvis du har gjort ham noget, så slår jeg dig ihjel."

"If you have done something to him (implying harm), I will kill you"
via reddit

Double post HYPE

I can't believe Angela and her heel turn. It looks like CEO of Evil Corp is the true villain. Now I'm curious is to who whiterose is outside of him being a hacker.

dork

Banned
I loved the coffee shop scene, I want to see a scene where they show all the clips of Mr Robot and Elliot. So the scene when Elliot is inside steelmountain...and his dad was in the car? Did they ever actually talk to his dad in that scene?

thenexus6

I watched Eyes Wide Shut for the first time last weekend, enjoyed hearing one of the songs in the scene where Elliot is walking around the office looking for Tyrell.

thenexus6

Bf started humming the song instantly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmCnQDUSO4I

Ha me too. There was quite a few Kubrick references in this episode.

party flyer:

Z18EZj4.jpg

Camera during the TV interview looked like HAL from 2001.
Heart shaped sun glasses from Lolita
Speech and post credit scene had a Eyes Wide Shut vibe.

I completely forgot that Rami Malek played Snafu in The Pacific until one of the reviewers mentioned it yesterday.

n7nHooQ.jpg

Thats what I recognise him from the most. I didn't really like this character on that show for a long time. He has such a sketchy look to him.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Eh, i think they should've left the fallout as S2 opener, if they didn't want to tie up any loose end in this.
Really doesn't feel like a finale.

Eliot==Tyrell just doesn't fit, he can't be working at both Allsafe and Evil Corp. Gideon's interactions prevent that, plus the secretary, plus the wife, plus the ex-CTO, plus... got the deal.

Pilgrimzero

While having an unreliable narrator is fun (it worked awesome in Silent Hill 2), I worry they may OVER USE it.

I mea right now a theory is that Tyrell is the real and Elliot is another personality of his.

Or that Elliot's sister and/or his best female friend are one and the same person.

Or it's all taking place in his head.

How far down does the rabbit hole go? Especially when it's been shown that say Tyrell and Elliot are 2 different people but again what's to say what's a delusion and what isn't?

It's nice and easy when it's Elliot/Mr. Robot but I fear that the writers may try to get to clever and ruin it. Especially if they do the whole "It was all a dream!" ending.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom