• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mr. Robot |OT| Byte Club - a new hacker thriller - Wednesdays on USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoe

While having an unreliable narrator is fun (it worked awesome in Silent Hill 2), I worry they may OVER USE it.

I mea right now a theory is that Tyrell is the real and Elliot is another personality of his.

Or that Elliot's sister and/or his best female friend are one and the same person.

Or it's all taking place in his head.

How far down does the rabbit hole go? Especially when it's been shown that say Tyrell and Elliot are 2 different people but again what's to say what's a delusion and what isn't?

It's nice and easy when it's Elliot/Mr. Robot but I fear that the writers may try to get to clever and ruin it. Especially if they do the whole "It was all a dream!" ending.

Now that we know what Mr. Robot is, how much are we meant to keep questioning the reality of things? We have other people referring to Evil Corp in scenes that Elliot isn't in. Where do you draw the line so the audience doesn't just question everything? Or should they be? Is that what you want?

Sam Esmail: No. It's not what I want. That could get really frustrating. I want us to be tethered. For me, it's about the authentic experience of what Elliot is going through. For example, when we make the reveal to Elliot that Mr. Robot doesn't exist, that hits home to him, and the goal was for that to hit home for the audience, and we accept it and believe it. When Darlene comes out and says she's his sister, that hits home to us, and if we go back and rewatch the episodes, hopefully that all makes sense. Those are things we can grab onto and believe. Yet there are still more questions. Hopefully, we've been very good about showing where those questions still linger. Not just the reality of things, but the loyalties of people, where people might go left instead of right. Those are things that we definitely hope to direct the audience in. And I've noticed that, too. For me, if I were an audience member, and I couldn't buy into anything or hold onto anything, and that would get extremely frustrating, and you wouldn't be able to connect or relate or engage with any of the characters if that were really indeed true. We definitely do not want that.

Read more at http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-wa...o-telegraph-the-big-twist#FeHEu5H5wKBTgO7E.99

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I'm going to put these "fan theories" directly on the nut jobs putting them together, the fans. I don't think the show is purposefully or accidentally leading anyone astray or down the wrong rabbit hole. It's all been quite clear and any sort of fear of the creator/writers going to far down that direction is just being fed by fan theories and hysterics over nothing.

The finale was exactly what I wanted. They don't need to focus on the fallout because the show was never really wholly about the hack and what happens after. They've told us what is supposed to happen after the hack since episode one. The season (series) is about Elliot. I'm far more interested to know where he's going and who was at the door. Everything else is a playground for Mr. Robot/Elliot, EvilCorp, And Tyrell.

Curufinwe

If Tyrell and Elliot aren't two separate people I will be surprised and disappointed.

If Tyrell is dead I will not be surprised but I will be very disappointed.

wenis

If Tyrell and Elliot aren't two separate people I will be surprised and disappointed.

If Tyrell is dead I will not be surprised but I will be very disappointed.
He did say they know who did this and that they know how to handle it. I wouldn't be surprised if for a portion of Season 2 - Episode 1, we get Tyrells side of the story and it leads to him coming to Elliot's door.

otapnam

He did say they know who did this and that they know how to handle it. I wouldn't be surprised if for a portion of Season 2 - Episode 1, we get Tyrells side of the story and it leads to him coming to Elliot's door.

Placing bets on tyrell getting a safe copy of the data and getting back into evil corp. Question is double cross elliot or what

UrbanRats

Tyrell isn't dead, obviously.

-

Season was very good, finale was merely alright.
Some clumsily written scene (shoe store one, or anything involving Angela, except for the suicide itself) and didn't really go into anything interesting in and out of itself.

I'm not as sold on this show as some of you seem to be, and i still got the feeling that sometimes it plays straight some elements that i assumed weren't, making some scenes very cringe worthy (that Mr. Robot rant in Time Square comes to mind) but the confidence with which it sells everything, makes it worth it in the end.

rexor0717

Thought it was a good episode, not great. Liked the Evil Corp fallout, Angela's spine slowly growing, and the Mr.Robot sequence. I feel like Mr.Robot's ramblings were supposed to seem a bit off the rails, and not exactly reflective of the Elliot we know. I'm curious about what happened to Tyrell, I liked how they faked him being dead in the trunk. On that note, his wife is seriously intimidating. That scene with Elliot getting worked by her was great.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
This isn't just something you could stick onto a flash drive.

Yeah, but Elliot said they encrypted the data with 256 AES.
This still means they overwrote the data, which means they could've wiped it instead of encrypting - thereby, i consider the encryption thing a chehkov's gun.

It looks like several people in this thread (and other internet communities) don't trust Sam Esmail enough. We've been given a GREAT debut season of television, and both endings of the finale make me confident that this showrunner knows exactly what he's doing.

Those of you who are saying that the episode didn't feel like a finale need to realize that we're in an era of television wherein showrunners and writers don't need to conform anymore. As Esmail himself said, season 1 is just the first act of a larger story. Would you complain about the lack of finality in the first act of a book or film?

As for my own thoughts on the episode:

Even after the "big reveal" last week, the internet cafe scene was quite shocking, particularly the shot of Elliot choking himself and being pounded to the floor. I felt scared for him, and it was the first time I fully accepted what little control he has over his actions. It put me in his headspace.

The scene between Joanna and Elliot? Fucking fantastic. Everything from the music to the acting to the deliberate dialogue filled me with dread. The entire episode did, in fact. And as much as I love Tyrell Wellick, I must say his absence in the episode gave the finale a big boost; the man is an enigma.

Phillip is the most inhumane character on the show, and Angela is just starting to see firsthand how despicable these people are. What she's going to do from here on out is another intriguing mystery I can't wait to see unfold.

Overall, a 10/10 first season. I trust Esmail as much as I trusted Gilligan, Weiner and the guys behind The Knick.

Curufinwe

It's a very good interview. I wish Greenwald could do a similar interview with the GoT show runners since he spends a lot of the season making inaccurate claims about what they've done.

Ruruja

Didn't really like this episode much, worst of the season maybe.

At least the post-credits scene was intriguing.

Elliot's the guy in the fsociety videos behind the mask, right? It seemed like they zoomed in on the eyes to make that clear.

I got the impression that it was Tyrell in the latest episode.

otapnam

Didn't really like this episode much, worst of the season maybe.

At least the post-credits scene was intriguing.

I got the impression that it was Tyrell in the latest episode.

I got the same impression too. Wernt the eyes blue behind the mask? The voice seemed different too

I also felt a little underwhelmed. And I felt some of the time stuff was rushed. This episode would've made a fantastic season 2 premiere though, I just felt for a finale it was a bit off. Would've preferred a finale ending on a cliffhanger of him executing or about to execute the virus and then coming into this episode in season 2. Just seemed like a lot happened in 3 days.

Retrocide

Yeah, I also have the impression that it was Tyrell, the mannerism and cadence...not to mention the blue eyes are seemed like Tyrell...

Future

back then yes, but this episode made it look like Tyrell took over the persona

Damn good point.

Good episode, but not very "satisfying". Just a bunch of questions setting up the future

Debt erased? Financial collapse?
Evil corp future?
Tyrell?
Secret society?
What will fsociety do?
What did mr robot do?
What are Amanda goals now?

That said all in next season!

Wife scene was awesome. Her stepping forward into the sun looked like it just scared Elliot away. Anyone translate what she said?

Damn good point.

Good episode, but not very "satisfying". Just a bunch of questions setting up the future

Evil corp future?
Tyrell?
Secret society?
What will fsociety do?
What did mr robot do?

Wife scene was awesome. Her stepping forward into the sun looked like it just scared Elliot away. Anyone translate what she said?
Angela*

Silkworm

Damn good point.

Evil corp future?
Tyrell?
Secret society?
What will fsociety do?
What did mr robot do?

What Joanna (Tyrell's wife) said to Elliot

via reddit

In danish: "Hvis du har gjort ham noget, så slår jeg dig ihjel."

"If you have done something to him (implying harm), I will kill you"

Double post HYPE

Chilling >:)

Amir0x

Banned
Ehhhhhhh.

I didn't love it, and I honestly thought this was one of the weaker episodes of the season. Blowing past the actual hack and immediate fallout felt like such a narrative cop out, and blowing past that moment robbed so much of the momentum of the season. If we're going to deal with Elliot's headspace since then, do that during. Or in season 2. It just felt like something huge that we've been building to all season was missing from this episode.

Even if there's a longer term pay off, it really felt short changed watching this episode.

See I don't have a problem with this for a few specific reasons.

1. I do not need to see every 'major' event in a story in order for it to have impact. See for example how many major battles where not even written in the Song of Ice of Fire series, despite the huge repercussions that often resulted from them. The impact was in understanding the reverberations, not in seeing something as simple as "a battle took place and it was bad" or in this case "a hack too place and the world went to shit."

2. This show has already made a small habit of time gap moments where Elliot suddenly appears somewhere, and then he's rushing to figure out what happened and eventually we see what happens or hear what happens in explicit detail. This disjointed approach to the narrative is part of what makes the show appealing, because we don't actually know what's real or not. In this case, it's clear Esmail has something in mind for why we didn't see what happens. It's why Elliot spends his time trying desperate to bring back out Mr. Robot and was starting to be unsure if even Tyrell was real.

We the audience are also in his head, and when he has time gaps, we have time gaps. He asks us what happened, but we don't know either. He even says he doesn't trust us anymore. Part of the allure is slowing seeing him piece together what happened, as it's usually never quite what people expect because his reality is so fractured.

3. I don't even think the moment is resolved. It's clear we're going to be returning to what happened once he finds Tyrell. I don't think the finale needed that resolution to be effective, because it was laying track for what is going to happen in season 2 and had some spectacular moments all its own. It's mystery expansion, not a cop out.

Priz

I never saw Eyes Wide Shut (only read the Something Awful review of it and that was more than enough for me) but it sounded like Calliope music to me when I heard it making it seem like it was a giant 3-ring circus the way everyone was running around frantically trying to make sense of things over at Evil Corp and that made me smirk.

Noticed this in the signs in Times Square and had to take a pic of it - not sure if anyone else noticed it. WE DO NOT COMROMISE!
CN8w4ruUEAAx6GH.jpg

Great job overall. Well done for a new series. Hopefully season 2 will maintain the quality.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Placing bets on tyrell getting a safe copy of the data and getting back into evil corp. Question is double cross elliot or what

That makes sense. I wonder why they encrypted the data at all. Makes sense for ransomware, but if there's no intention to ransom it, why lock it up? As a plot point with Tyrell it makes sense.

Plus it allows the world to go back to normal and sets up the rest of the series in the context of Elliot failing, and thus needing to change the world in a more drastic manner.

It also ties into Philip Price's confidence over being able to fix everything in his "people did this" speech, implying that fsociety moving numbers around is simple enough to fix by EvilCorp just moving numbers around themselves.

wenis

Happy Gideon made it through the first season. Had some fear about the only true good guy in this series.

who knows what being broke and without a business will do to him though... although it hasn't been hinted at what his own technical history is programming wise or if he's just a suit.

Noticed this in the signs in Times Square and had to take a pic of it - not sure if anyone else noticed it. WE DO NOT COMROMISE!
CN8w4ruUEAAx6GH.jpg

Great job overall. Well done for a new series. Hopefully season 2 will maintain the quality.

I caught that as well, seemed like a pretty glaring mistake for how prominent the sign is in the scene.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
That makes sense. I wonder why they encrypted the data at all. Makes sense for ransomware, but if there's no intention to ransom it, why lock it up? As a plot point with Tyrell it makes sense.

Plus it allows the world to go back to normal and sets up the rest of the series in the context of Elliot failing, and thus needing to change the world in a more drastic manner.

It also ties into Philip Price's confidence over being able to fix everything in his "people did this" speech, implying that fsociety moving numbers around is simple enough to fix by EvilCorp just moving numbers around themselves.

I prefer to think that was Tyrell's plan until Mr Robot got through with him and threw his body over the docks.....

The voice was modulated, but it was still different. In the past they probably had Christian Slater doing it, and in the Allsafe video it was obviously Darlene's voice.
My crazy theory is that the guy behind the mask was Tyrell. I imagine him and Mr Robot going on a 3 day hacking bender and them recording a video for kicks. What if the intro to season 2 is a Hangover like flashback of what they were up to during the 3 days. Probably not.

CRS

Hopefully they edit out the Tom Brady cheated stuff in the pilot for the Blu Ray.
Thanks .
Him getting the ban lifted doesn't mean he didn't cheat. :p

People not being satisfied with the finale are basically the fsociety team: Romero, Trenton, and Mobley during the finale. Pist that they weren't around for the big moment and are just around for the aftermath/cleanup. It's pretty amusing since Darlene is basically talking to those viewers as well, 'Isn't this what you all wanted?'

rtcn63

Felt like a GoT season finale, where the best stuff happened before the last episode. Or in this case, between episodes.

I think they played it safe, knowing that it would be extremely easy to fuck things up, and leave a bad taste in people's mouths who've really enjoyed the show so far.

It's like- it could've been worse.

-griffy-

Banned
It makes sense in the context of what the show is purportedly about, as Sam Esmail has explained in several interviews today. It's not really about the hacking of Evil Corp. Another show would find some way to delay the actual hack in order to prolong the drama. The fact the show actually skipped the "Big Hack of the Season™", and that it was successful, is a big exclamation point and clue about what the show is interested in exploring.

It's really about Elliot's journey. This first season is essentially act 1 of the overall story. His realization that he is Mr. Robot is the inciting incident. This finale is in essence the first taste of what the overarching narrative of the show will be, which is Elliot trying to grapple with the difficulties his mental illness creates, whether that's the repercussions of actions he doesn't remember committing, the fallout in his relationships with those around him, or trying to come to terms with the relationship he has with himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom