• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mr. Robot |OT| Byte Club - a new hacker thriller - Wednesdays on USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weekly format > dump format

At least we still get to discuss and speculate and don't have to avoid the thread for fear of spoilers and such.

i agree with you, but if this entire season was available right now, i definitely wouldn't be able to stop myself from watching all of it within a day or two

Weekly format > dump format

At least we still get to discuss and speculate and don't have to avoid the thread for fear of spoilers and such.

I disagree. I think weekly is better for discussion so you don't have people spoiling shit, but I think dump format works better from a writing standpoint in almost all cases as the writers are no longer writing around having to lead into the next episode and dealing with overly long seasons.

Weekly can work as long as writers are given those freedoms but in the US it's rarely the case, granted it's occurring more nowadays which is good because the weekly procedural style is so bad. A bunch of filler episodes and wonky writing just so they can end an episode on some stupid cliffhanger ugh.

Frog-fu

Banned
i agree with you, but if this entire season was available right now, i definitely wouldn't be able to stop myself from watching all of it within a day or two

I probably wouldn't be able to either and then feel regret afterwards. Like I always do with House of Cards.

I disagree. I think weekly is better for discussion so you don't have people spoiling shit, but I think dump format works better from a writing standpoint in almost all cases as the writers are no longer writing around having to lead into the next episode and dealing with overly long seasons.

Weekly can work as long as writers are given those freedoms but in the US it's rarely the case, granted it's occurring more nowadays which is good because the weekly procedural style is so bad. A bunch of filler episodes and wonky writing just so they can end an episode on some stupid cliffhanger ugh.

I think most cable dramas (though not necessarily only cable) nowadays are written and shot much like movies. All the episodes are written before they are shot consecutively on a strict schedule and then released using a weekly format, as is/was the case Fargo, True Detective, Game of Thrones, etc.

I agree that some shows really work with the dump format. Daredevil in particular really lends itself to the dump format, more so than anything else I can think of, and I personally have attributed that to it being a tremendous adaptation. As I've commented in the OT, watching it all in go was like reading an entire volume or run in one sitting. Having said that, as satisfying as Daredevil is, I really can't help but lament the fact there isn't much of a Daredevil community on GAF. At the start it was mostly just people racing through the episodes, giving way to a sea of black bars, and later on it became mostly people chiming in with their impressions and leaving. I'm convinced that had Daredevil been released on a weekly basis, we'd have broken the 300 page barrier. We might have even needed a second OT. And I would have loved to be a part of and share in the hype and excitement around that show.

Most procedurals are pretty shite with few exceptions, so you'll have no arguments from me on that front.

I think I like the show. I'm just afraid it will be a Fight Club clone as mentioned previously. I like Fight Club and all, but I would want something that is different as a TV show.

I'll continue watching to see how things unfold.

I think I like the show. I'm just afraid it will be a Fight Club clone as mentioned previously. I like Fight Club and all, but I would want something that is different as a TV show.

I'll continue watching to see how things unfold.

I wouldn't, I'm happy with the Fight Club vibes purely because it's untrodden ground as far as TV shows go. If it didn't have that vibe, I think it would end up as another forgettable series.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I mean the show already pays homages to Fight Club in practically every way it can. If Mr Robot himself takes a Tyler Durden twist, that's going to be disappointing. It's low hanging fruit. It would be just as easy to NOT have it be the case, and it wouldn't damage the plot or tone of the show at all.

I'd like to chime in to say I'm on team real when it comes to Mr. Robot. The rest of the crew reacts to him and the chick showed up at Elliot's apartment and didn't react as if he should know why she was there. Unless of course they are all made up, which just seems like a stretch to me.

Either way the show is great. I just hope they go with a twist that is much less obvious.

Mr. Robot is imaginary as hell. When he tells Fsociety the plan they don't look at him, steps in between Elliot and Fsociety so their gaze never changes.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
I'm surprised this thread has so few comments. The show is pretty great so far.

It annoys me that Elliot is
getting high
all the time now. We already know he's weird, so it's getting tough to know what the hell is going on or if it is even happening or not.

Finally watched the 2nd ep. Good lord, I love it.

I also like that the psychiatrist IMMEDIATELY calls Elliot out on his bullshit

They nailed the atmosphere in the pilot, fantastic direction on that end. I kept thinking they were using some classic camera tricks to pull your eyes away from some clue they're hiding in the corner of the screen like in the ending of Cache, there were just so many incongruous details like the squeaking Ferris wheel cart or the guy with the incredibly peppy walk. Didn't notice anything of course!

Edit: Rewatching the Ferris wheel scene, I noticed that the landscape behind Eliot often changes when the camera cuts back to him. He'll be at the very bottom and then it will cut to him being at the top. I don't know if this is intentional or an editing error, but it's nicely disorienting.

That would be an extreme sci-fi twist, though.

I love the idea of shit becoming real through thought, but this isn't that show.

It's essentially the same thing that was happening in Fight Club though. Tyler Durden was taking more and more control over Edward Norton throughout the film, ultimately planning to erase him.

golem

It's essentially the same thing that was happening in Fight Club though. Tyler Durden was taking more and more control over Edward Norton throughout the film, ultimately planning to erase him.

Yeah Im wondering if the drug use is a help or a hinderance for Eliot vs Mr. Robot. Maybe he has to maintain his drug use to keep him at bay (that would be an interesting twist)

Also wondering if there is any significance to the skater kids being there before Eliot falls but not there after.

I watched the first episode last night and love the cinematography. I reminds me of David Fincher sometimes.

The only thing I don't like is when they use technical terms. It's not that it doesn't make sense but every time they say something like "DNS" or "GNOME" they basically look at the camera with a dumb smile and wink at you.

Either way, I can't wait to see where the show goes. I'm hoping for something different than Fight Club or The Game. Only because we are already assuming that's what it is from the pilot and where is the fun in that?

hal9001

Banned
Wow. One of the best first episodes I've seen in ages. Kinda like Hackers meets Fight Cub and the Matrix. The themes of conspiracy, social injustice with the 1% and its take on the mental health aspect makes it very unique. The main protagonist is amazing and the actor that plays him has nailed the awkward social anxiety aspects really well. I'm hooked.

Akahige

I rewatched the first episode and watched the second episode for the first time. The second episode was as well written and acted as the first, the cinematography and editing seems to have taken a small nosedive, I see that Niels Arden Oplev didn't return to the direct the second. The pilot to full series changes to the sets are also noticeable but not a big deal. The ending was unexpected, really interested to see where this is going, I'm not sure if I'm as concrete on the idea of fsociety and Mr Robot being delusions at all.

ngower

Watched the first two and am very impressed by this show. The middle act of the second episode did drag quite a bit, and I wish they'd chill on introducing so many characters, but damn if it isn't great.

Also, the opening sequence of the second episode was brilliant.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Just watched tonight's episode.

So a lot of this episode I was wondering if the entire fsociety was a part of him rather than MR.ROBOT but as the hacker girl was confirmed real that idea is gone.

I'm now leaning more towards MR.ROBOT being an externalization of him wanting a father figure as well as an outlet for him to revenge his father.

Curveball could be MR.ROBOT is a real person. I dunno.

I think Elliot and that girl go well together. It was really great as he began to connect with her when he realized that not everything about someone can be learned from online.

I still dislike childhood friend & boyfriend.

Avinexus

Didn't the bartender look right at Mr. Robot in the bar when he said something to him? I know he hasn't directly been talked to by anyone else, but either he seems real from that interaction or they messed that bar scene up.

Didn't the bartender look right at Mr. Robot in the bar when he said something to him? I know he hasn't directly been talked to by anyone else, but either he seems real from that interaction or they messed that bar scene up.

The bartender never looked at Mr. Robot. I think the whole bar scene reinforces the idea that Mr. Robot isn't real.

They both enter bar together but Mr. Robot already has his Appletini when the bartender comes over to greet them and get Elliot's order.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter

I think the bartender's look was intended to be ambiguous. Notice Mr. Robot got Elliott to order the Apple-tini and the bartender reacted like he hadn't made one in a long time.
Definitely seems like they are setting this up for a big reveal later. Plus the the name of the show... Elliott is pretty much a robot emotionally. It all seems to fit together.

Hey at least the female hacker is real.
Damn these show and the characters keeps surprising me

I hope he doesn't fall back to his childhood friend as love interest

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Hey at least the female hacker is real.
Damn these show and the characters keeps surprising me

I hope he doesn't fall back to his childhood friend as love interest

That is the worst outcome and would be a total cop-out by the writers so it's probably going to happen.

Tamanon

Banned
No, because he's about to feel super betrayed by his childhood friend if she goes through with this blackmail thing like she's talking.

And she'll feel betrayed when he accidentally mentions that he already knew her boyfriend was a cheater.

That is the worst outcome and would be a total cop-out by the writers so it's probably going to happen.
I have a feeling it will but I hope it doesn't happen until end of season 2
I hope Elliot and Darlene's relationship developed first. Two messed up life trying console each other.

Guy from prison gets out and kills Darlene. Because of Elliot

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
I hope Elliot and Darlene's relationship developed first. Two messed up life trying console each other.

Knock on wood man, knock on wood.

Wellick is a fucking sociopath. Dude fucks another guy just to plant that spyware? on his phone.

What was exactly suppose to happen after he finished tying up his wife? Angela is goddamn fool for still being with that sleeze bag.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Wellick is a fucking sociopath. Dude fucks another guy just to plant that spyware? on his phone.

What was exactly suppose to happen after he finished tying up his wife? Angela is goddamn fool for still being with that sleeze bag.

They were going to have kinky sex brah.

The contrast between Wellick and Elliot is amazing.

On one hand you have a guy who seems to keep everything together and is perfect on the outside but on the inside he is cold and calculating and will do anything to accomplish his goals much like a robot.

Elliot on the other hand seems to not care about anything on the outside, distant and cold, but when he gets lose to people and in his internal monologue he really has some rich emotions. Non robot like.

You mean Shayla. It'd be stupid for a minor character like Vera to come back.

-BLITZ-

Is clearly that Mr. Robot is Elliot imagination. The fact that Mr.R speak loud and in that manner in AllSafe without any of the employees there to warn him about his behave it confirms what I suspected from the previous episode. More, no one could had enter random in such company dress like that and sit on Elliot chair waiting for him, the same clothes which his wearing from the first episode, same cap too. The employee that was next to Elliot desk, the girl, raised his head for a moment because of Elliot talking *alone*. Another one is the bar scene like everybody said, no eye contact there from the bartender to Mr. Robot and in the first episode, if I recall, when Elliot meets the Fsociety in the garage, no one, again made any eye contact with Mr. Robot or speak to him, however there is one thing that intrigues me is when the videoclip with the masked person was actually Christian Slater, his voice, but I do wonder what if that was actually Elliot masked with altered voice. Might Elliot be the one who is losing memories and living on two lives he created because it seems that Fsociety are waiting for him, the actual leader.

I'm guessing that Mr.R could be his father and Elliot forgot how his dad looked like when he was young.

At this point, they can't turn back on a Fight Club twist. I can't see any other explanation being narratively satisfying with all the hints they are dropping, would actually feel more cheap if it was a red herring than if they copied Fight Club. Otherwise they would have to do a lot of explaining about the same clothes Robot wears, lack of eye contact from anyone Robot meets and how Robot can just walk into a secure IT office dressed rough and sit in Elliot's chair without drawing attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom