• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mr. Robot |OT| Byte Club - a new hacker thriller - Wednesdays on USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamanon

Banned
Just wrapped up Episode 2. Completely in, on both the show, and the Mr Robot in his head theory. The fact that the other hackers seemed to only respond when he was near Elliot, and the conversation before the final event, just seem too much like competing personalities.

Zoe

Wait a minute. I just have USA playing in the background right now (already watched earlier), and they let his second "fuck" slip through.

Tempted to go back and check his first one :lol

Seesaw15

I definitely felt Niels Arden Oplev's absence this episode. The show still looks great but man was Oplev's direction/cinematography gorgeous in the pilot.

I really liked how they're developing Elliot's character and his struggle with being highly moral yet selfish . Great 2nd episode and I'm glad they're not waiting till season 2 to bring up the withdrawal story arc.

Firehead

Oh, damn. Forgot to post during the first episode. Just wanted to say, the first episode sold me so hard on this show.
Just finished the second episode. It wasn't as impacting as the first episode; but I did enjoy it a lot.

USA found something very special. I just hope they let it continue to be itself.

Wait a minute. I just have USA playing in the background right now (already watched earlier), and they let his second "fuck" slip through.

Tempted to go back and check his first one :lol
Weird, because I noticed they bleeped "shit" in the first airing of Episode 2. Went back a few times and even turned the captions on to make sure.

TripOpt55

Another great episode. Elliot makes for such a compelling centerpiece especially with the whole aspect of things from his mind seeping into what we see on screen (as others have suggested, I would be shocked if Mr. Robot isn't just in his head). Loving the music so far too. What a pleasant surprise this show has been so far. Hope it can keep it up.

Really enjoying it so far. The ending bit with him sitting on the edge with Mr Robot was a little obvious what was gonna happen next given the story about his dad. But I'm excited to see how this all unfolds.

Frog-fu

Banned
I have a feeling Mr Robot may have originally been all inside Elliot's head but later became real throughout the creative process, like the Janitor from Scrubs. Could be interesting either way.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I love this show but I'm going to feel super betrayed if Mr. Robot is Tyler Durden. They can't possibly make it this obvious from episode 1 and make it actually be the case.

Enjoyed the second episode. Show is very good. Hard to believe it's a Network show, especially when you consider the themes featured and the language used.

Anyone else notice they changed his lastname from Rodgers to Alderson? Most likely to avoid confusion with the sick son of a bitch from the Isla Vista killings.

I didn't even make that connection, that's a damn good reason to change his last name.

Another clue that Mr. Robot is in Elliot's head was when Robot was in front of Elliot while talking to the other hacker girl.

I guess Elliot just jumped from the railing because he was in withdrawal?
Or he didn't actually jump and was just a visual representation of Mr.Robot taking over. There was no splash sound...

Frog-fu

Banned
tbh I don't think that will be the case. Unless Elliot has some kind of split personality, I just don't see him creating fsociety, and thus far I have no reason to think that is the case. Further, we've seen Mr Robot interact with others, and we know those people are real, so that would suggest they're all real and not just in Elliot's head.

I didn't even make that connection, that's a damn good reason to change his last name.

Yeah, I recalled it being a weird choice for a name in the first episode, though I couldn't place it at the time, but then I heard the new name in episode 2 and the connection became obvious.

Definitely a good reason, indeed.

Nocebo

I like the Tyrell Wellick character. I wonder what the deal is with him. He is apparently foreign that is not interesting in and of itself though. But the way he reacted to Elliot rejection and saying Elliot belongs there with him. Maybe he feels like a loner too even though he has a seemingly perfect life. Perhaps he thinks Elliot is like him and wants companionship, or maybe I'm reading too much into things.

CRS

tbh I don't think that will be the case. Unless Elliot has some kind of split personality, I just don't see him creating fsociety, and thus far I have no reason to think that is the case. Further, we've seen Mr Robot interact with others, and we know those people are real, so that would suggest they're all real and not just in Elliot's head.
We're shown Mr. Robot speaking to the rest of the hacker group but if you notice the positioning of Elliot and Robot, the hacker group could just be talking to Elliot.

No one outside of Elliot actually acknowledges Mr. Robot. In the first episode when they first open the arcade, the guy opening the door doesn't look at Mr. Robot. And in the latest episode, Robot was in front of Elliot when he was spoken to.

There have only been what, two cases of Mr. Robot interacting with 'the real world'? Mr. Robot panhandling Evil Corps goons and the Anonymous-esque video of him.

It might be a possibility that the entire hacker group doesn't even exist and all of them are inside Elliot's head. The hacker chick finding out where Elliot lives and taking a shower there might a hint towards that.

Quixzlizx

Or he didn't actually jump and was just a visual representation of Mr.Robot taking over. There was no splash sound...

In the next episode preview, you see him lying in a hospital bed all scratched up.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
tbh I don't think that will be the case. Unless Elliot has some kind of split personality, I just don't see him creating fsociety, and thus far I have no reason to think that is the case. Further, we've seen Mr Robot interact with others, and we know those people are real, so that would suggest they're all real and not just in Elliot's head..

No we haven't, also I'm thinking none of fsociety are real.

the general look of this show is more impressive to me than anything i've seen on Hannibal

best shot composition i've seen on TV in a while

I actually saw a teaser for this at the theaters, and I kept wondering if it was a movie or not.

This pilot has a hell of a lot of buzz on the interwebs

there’s something undeniably electric about being jolted when you least expect it. And that’s precisely what made the arrival of Mr. Robot feel so revolutionary last week. Though by no means unpromoted — billboards were visible in Manhattan for weeks; the pilot was posted on Facebook in May — the USA drama nevertheless sneaked into most people’s lives like a thief. It went from something seemingly forgettable — an unheralded cyberthriller burdened with a dopey title and marooned on an unlikely network — to unmissable in a matter of hours. The morning after its premiere, mentions of the show began to metastasize on my social media feeds like a virus. The avalanche of messages I received over the past week weren’t so much laudatory as they were bewildered: Have you seen this? Is it really that good? When is this thing on? TV viewers are used to dipping a toe into a warm, comfortable bath of curated discovery: The arrival of Mr. Robot, by contrast, was like being splashed with a bucket of cold water. Finally, the shock of the new!

So let me say, definitively, to everyone asking: Mr. Robot is plenty good, especially the pilot. But more importantly, Mr. Robot is genuinely exhilarating. Here, at last, is a show that doesn’t care one whit about our expectations or our skepticism. There’s no hand-holding, no patience. The series doesn’t begin so much as it explodes with an almost messianic confidence: a black screen, a voice inside our head calling us “friend” and warning of slippery slopes, of conspiracies “bigger than all of us.”

Frog-fu

Banned
We're shown Mr. Robot speaking to the rest of the hacker group but if you notice the positioning of Elliot and Robot, the hacker group could just be talking to Elliot.

No one outside of Elliot actually acknowledges Mr. Robot. In the first episode when they first open the arcade, the guy opening the door doesn't look at Mr. Robot. And in the latest episode, Robot was in front of Elliot when he was spoken to.

There have only been what, two cases of Mr. Robot interacting with 'the real world'? Mr. Robot panhandling Evil Corps goons and the Anonymous-esque video of him.

It might be a possibility that the entire hacker group doesn't even exist and all of them are inside Elliot's head. The hacker chick finding out where Elliot lives and taking a shower there might a hint towards that.

No we haven't, also I'm thinking none of fsociety are real.

I dunno, most people ignore bums. And I think the video of Mr Robot is really the guy..

Mr Robot introduced the rest of fsociety and Drug Dealer Chick acknowledged Hacker Chick standing in the hall waiting for Elliot, so I'm assuming they're all real.

It'd be a stretch if only Mr Robot was in Elliot's head at this point.

CRS

That's the one scene I want to rewatch is when Elliot is dropping off the dog. Does his drug dealer actually look towards/at hacker girl?

Wulv

Neo Member
I still think Mr. Robot is in his head.

Reason- Elliot hates physical contact from others. Two times that I can recall him not recoiling from physical contact: after his bedroom scene in the first episode and his hug with his coworker/lady friend.

2nd episode Mr. Robot comforts Elliot on the pier, pats/rubs his back and Elliot does nothing. No recoil, nothing.

USA seems to have stumbled onto a good one here. A lot of it is pretty on the nose and typical cyberpunk stuff, but the execution is compelling. Beautifully shot and edited with a great old school synth heavy score giving some flair to the tense scenes, plus Rami Malek and Christian Slater are perfect in their roles.

~Kinggi~

Banned
USA seems to have stumbled onto a good one here. A lot of it is pretty on the nose and typical cyberpunk stuff, but the execution is compelling. Beautifully shot and edited with a great old school synth heavy score giving some flair to the tense scenes, plus Rami Malek and Christian Slater are perfect in their roles.

Yeah im definitely loving it. Hope it finds a crowd. Critics certainly love it.

Macnair

Waiting for weekly episodes is hard. I got used to Daredevil and Sense8 with the full season available on day one.

Frog-fu

Banned
Waiting for weekly episodes is hard. I got used to Daredevil and Sense8 with the full season available on day one.

Weekly format > dump format

At least we still get to discuss and speculate and don't have to avoid the thread for fear of spoilers and such.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Weekly format > dump format

At least we still get to discuss and speculate and don't have to avoid the thread for fear of spoilers and such.

With you there, even if 9 times out of 10 I end up missing/skipping a few weeks and then binging to catch up. Netflix style dumps really cater to the instant gratification generation but I hope they don't replace weekly trickles.

Silkworm

I really really love this show

Same here. I'm glad that NeoGAF clued me in to trying out this show. I haven't really considered shows on USA in the past assuming they won't be that good (uninformed, biased opinion, I know) but I've really enjoyed Mr. Robot so far. :) Likewise I decided to give Humans a chance on AMC and like what I've seen so far (in the US so have only watched the 1st aired episode).

Yeah.

He's not a good guy at all. I mean, E-Corp isn't much better, but Mr. Robot is a delusional fuckstick. Oh, and a psychopath.

Am I the only one that thinks he's the real villain?

I agree. Mr Robot is probably the most dangerous character in the entire show. Evil Corp is probably evil how sociopathic corporations are evil, but Mr Robot is basically a psychotic terrorist.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'm not sure I trust the main characters hacking, though. He's able to get on Twitter/Facebook/et. al. easily with no Two-Factor Authentication from some people, really?

I mean the show is good and all. But that's kinda blowing my disbelief: "All these people are just completely insecure? Especially the netsec worker former girlfriend of his?"

Frog-fu

Banned
This is very true

With you there, even if 9 times out of 10 I end up missing/skipping a few weeks and then binging to catch up. Netflix style dumps really cater to the instant gratification generation but I hope they don't replace weekly trickles.

I agree, less black bars in the thread too.

Brethren.
NtIr0bi.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom