• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ms. 'Splosion Man |OT| Man, I feel like a woman

panama chief said:
can i get some gamertags for multiplayer?

tag: panama chief

im on from 9am to 4pm and most nights
Gamertag: EteRnal PAL

Got up to 1-4 on single player this morning before I had to head out to work. Will be playing as much as I can tonight after work.

Just finished the first world and I'm not seeing the difficulty people are on about. Don't feel like the framerate is an issue either. It only chugs in situations where I don't have control, at least so far. It's never made me miss a jump or anything.

I'm having fun with the game and I'd maybe double dip for a steam version. I only bought on XBLA because I have so many points left over from ages ago.

daffy

Banned
DeadRockstar said:
Just finished the first world and I'm not seeing the difficulty people are on about.
If its anything like the first, the difficulty will spike up drastically closer to the end. I hope not.

Played the demo and ahah I enjoyed it! :D I'm probably gonna wait until I've heard more impressions of later levels though, finish up some other downloadable games first.

kodecraft

DeadRockstar said:
Just finished the first world and I'm not seeing the difficulty people are on about.

First world in any game will hardly ever show its true hands of difficulty...wait till you advance in the game if your rhythm and timing is off...the challenge will humble you.

Yeah, I'm sure you guys are right about the difficulty ramping up. What prompted my comment about that was really this weeks bombcast. Jeff said he'd only just started the game but it wasn't fucking around with the difficulty and it was on from the start. Brad was talking about how it was cheap difficulty as well. So far I don't agree with them but we'll see how it goes.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
One of her idle poses is the Carlton. Wow.

DeadRockstar said:
Yeah, I'm sure you guys are right about the difficulty ramping up. What prompted my comment about that was really this weeks bombcast. Jeff said he'd only just started the game but it wasn't fucking around with the difficulty and it was on from the start. Brad was talking about how it was cheap difficulty as well. So far I don't agree with them but we'll see how it goes.

Seeing Brad play it on the QL was pretty telling. He kept saying it wasn't as snappy as Super Meat Boy, but that isn't the way it's designed at all.

Sec0nd

Loved the first one, never finished it though since I couldn't figure out how to beat the final boss. Might pick this one up when I'm finished with all my games.

AEREC

Played a bit this morning for about 10 minutes, enough to finish the prologue and get to the world map. It felt exaclty like the first game with a hint of sluggish-ness but still not bad.

Looking forward to unlocking "2 girls 1 controller"

Played a bit of multiplayer.

Freaking tough.
I don't know what times I'm on but if you want to splode with me I'll splode with you.

GT: PepsimanVsJoe

Ran through the first world and most of world 2 Co-op online(4players the whole time). Minimal lag and great teamwork since we all had mics. It was great. Played from 9:30 to 3pm. I feel like a gamer again.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Played the first level over lunch. Can't wait to see more. Also, I just read what they're planning to do with the Title Update System.

Via Joystiq

"...One such indication of this is today's launch day announcement that the "TMS" (or "Title Managed Storage" system, as explained here) will add "special rules and new content" to existing levels on a rolling weekly basis. Like previous TMS-assisted titles (Super Meat Boy, Monday Night Combat), no patch or update will be required for the new content to appear in the game."

RiccochetJ said:
Played the first level over lunch. Can't wait to see more. Also, I just read what they're planning to do with the Title Update System.

Via Joystiq

"...One such indication of this is today's launch day announcement that the "TMS" (or "Title Managed Storage" system, as explained here) will add "special rules and new content" to existing levels on a rolling weekly basis. Like previous TMS-assisted titles (Super Meat Boy, Monday Night Combat), no patch or update will be required for the new content to appear in the game."

awesome. if the first world is any indication, I'll be addicted for a long while.

Crom

DeadRockstar said:

Jeff? I refuse to listen to anyone that rated State of Emergency higher than Zelda Majora's Mask.

Every single review on Ms. Splosion man is stellar thus far. It is an awesome game.

DeadRockstar said:

getting up to 1-7, I probably died about 30 times...many of those were just from not paying attention. Each level is harder than the one before, but there were only a few parts in 1-5 that were kinda cheap, but they are easy once you see what you have to do.

I think those guys generally get intimidated by harder games, don't they? I might have them confused with somebody else though.

Just got this myself for 800msp, going to be fun getting back into the Splosion-groove again!

On another note, I never considered the original any sort of legitimately hard platformer...is this one any different? Would be great if yes, I always thought the original could have used a bit more difficulty in it's level design.

I also wonder what the new "donuts song" will be...

saunderez

TheExplodingHead said:
Just got this myself for 800msp, going to be fun getting back into the Splosion-groove again!

On another note, I never considered the original any sort of legitimately hard platformer...is this one any different? Would be great if yes, I always thought the original could have used a bit more difficulty in it's level design.

I also wonder what the new "donuts song" will be...
It's definitely harder than the first one, even only a few levels in the difficulty starts cranking up. Still, it's nowhere near Super Meat Boy levels of brutality so it's fairly easy to someone who is used to that level of insanity.

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
Man this game is mentally exhausting. Just like the first one only with nonstop pop music quotes and girl rambling on top of that.

Played the trial, and Ms. Sposion Man is hilarious. All of her dancing, and quotes are great. Will pick this up as soon as I have some points.

ShyGuy

I've only finished 1-1 and 1-2, and then got "hooked" on replaying 1-2 for the speed runs.

In all that time, I *STILL* haven't found a pair of shoes...probably because I'm too busy in the speed runs haha

SO GOOD

jtrov

This game is an absolute blast to play and the whole experience is greatly enhanced with all of Ms. Splosion Man's idle dance moves and pop-culture references. I just can't get enough of what the game offers and I'm really enjoying the difficulty thus far. The game just makes me crack the biggest smile. I almost lost it when I went to take a sip of my drink and Ms. Splosion Man is saying an Ace of Base reference, followed by doing the Dougie. I just love all the attention to detail, it's amazing IMO.

If anyone wants to try some co-op later, my GT is: jtrov

Mrbob

I just played the demo, but Ms Splosion Man is crazy! Literally she is crazy. So funny watching her dance around and talk as she moves.

I might have to get this once I finish Half Minute Hero.

I loved 'Splosion Man, so I will definitely pick this up soon. Good to hear it's humorous and challenging. Just the way I like my 'splosions.

Papercuts

Hahah, Comic Jumper got a 4/5 and their review basically said it wasn't a fun game, but it was funny. That's some wonderful consistency.

xbhaskarx

Papercuts said:
Hahah, Comic Jumper got a 4/5 and their review basically said it wasn't a fun game, but it was funny. That's some wonderful consistency.
They are right, that game sucked but it was funny. Who knew that's worth 4/5. And this is a far better game and just as funny so of course 3/5 makes sense....

Nert

Different people reviewed Comic Jumper and Ms. Splosion Man on Giantbomb, one person's preferences aren't necessarily the other's, etc.

All right, I'm going to skip the "this game is amazing" for later. I just want to say...

I LOVE the music to this game. I liked Maw's music, really liked Splosion Man's music, so-so with Comic Jumper's, but Ms. Splosion Man is really excellent on the music side. Very excellent. The main-ish theme in the first word, called something "city" in the mall of downloadables, is incredibly well-done and super catchy. Is it just me? Really, well-done to the composers.

Papercuts

Man, just took 20 minutes to clear 1-12 while getting the shoes. That level was waaaay harder than anything from the first game already.

Nert said:
Different people reviewed Comic Jumper and Ms. Splosion Man on Giantbomb, one person's preferences aren't necessarily the other's, etc.

I know Jeff is different, but does 4/5 seem like a good score for a game that everyone agrees had really boring, tedious gameplay? Yeah it was funny as hell, but so is Ms. Splosion Man, and the gameplay here is solid. It just looks weird from an overall perspective.

Shurs

Nert said:

Why people still don't get this is beyond me.

zychi

Banned
So Major Nelson says there's "a treat" at the end of this game, possibly after the credits. Has anyone beaten it yet that would be willing to spoil it for me?

zychi said:
So Major Nelson says there's "a treat" at the end of this game, possibly after the credits. Has anyone beaten it yet that would be willing to spoil it for me?
Probably a clip of him setting himself on fire

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I have the first game but never finished it. Would it matter if I went straight to this game without finishing the first one?

saunderez

Wario64 said:
I have the first game but never finished it. Would it matter if I went straight to this game without finishing the first one?
You'll miss some references from the first game but I think you'll be fine.

Top Bottom