• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Multiethnic cast of Wachowski & JMS' series, "Sense8", includes transgender character

Status
Not open for further replies.
Assuming the source is legit...

http://tvline.com/2014/01/07/sense8-netflix-cast-wachowskis-spoilers/

The sci-fi drama will focus on eight people scattered around the globe who are connected by a shared — violent — vision. (Because it’s never a vision of kittens, is it?) Each episode — shot in the UK, Seoul, Mumbai, Nairobi, Berlin, Mexico City, San Francisco and Chicago — will follow the characters’ separate stories, even as one entity tries to bring the octet together and another tries to kill them.

Among the regulars (as yet uncast) are: a closeted Mexican telenovela hunk, an Icelandic party girl, a German safe-cracker, a Korean businesswoman, an African bus driver and a transgender American blogger (a la Lana?). Perhaps most intriguing, though, are Jonas, an apparently magic African-American who appears to all of the “visionaries,” and his evil counterpart, Mr. Whispers (arguably the best-named villain since The X-Files’ Cigarette-Smoking Man).

From previous reports we know the series will be "loaded with action, big ideas, some amazing stunts that no one’s done before, and play to a planetary audience."

Casting details are expected to be announced in early 2014 (I assume it is being cast right now, which is how these details were leaked) and the Wachowskis will begin pre-production this month.

Sounds bonkers.. can't wait!

shuri

Banned
Sounds interesting.. But the white folks get all the interesting jobs and prospects while the African character is a bus driver? Really?

Loona

I don't usually pay attention to TV series, but if the Wachowskis are tackling one, I'll keep an eye on this.

JDSN

Banned
Sounds interesting.. But the white folks get all the interesting jobs and prospects while the African character is a bus driver? Really?

Hey dont start with you Social justice warrior crap the series also has a latino who works as ...a telenovela actor WHAT THE FUCK? Jesus Christ, at least its not druglord.

Which of those jobs/descriptions would you have seen before "An African..." and thought "Aah, finally, the continent of Africa is getting a decent representation!" The safe cracker? The closeted Telenovela hunk? Party girl? Transgender blogger? The only relatively sane one is "businesswoman", and that character's Asian.

Chuckie

Cigarette-smoking man, what? I thought he was known as the Cancer Man?

I thought so too, but appearantly:

The Smoking Man (sometimes referred to as Cancer Man, the Cigarette-Smoking Man, CSM or C-Man) is a fictional character and the primary antagonist of the Fox science fiction television series The X-Files.

McNab

Banned
Now, are they doing it because it makes sense to the story or are they doing it just because they're trying to be ~edgy~ or ~progressive~?

Reading the brief description, it sounds like the latter.

But then again, it's sci-fi we're talking about here, weird shit happens.

Now, are they doing it because it makes sense to the story or are they doing it just because they're trying to be ~edgy~ or ~progressive~?

A transgender character makes as much sense in a story as a non-transgender character.

Oppo

Orange Is The New Black features a transgender character in the main cast too. They might be the first.

Famassu

But then again, it's sci-fi we're talking about here, weird shit happens.
Why does a transgender character have to "make sense to the story"? Why can't the character just be transgender without there having to be a huge explanation why they'd put a transgender person into the story?

A white party girl sure sounds like such a glorified & great profession for a character of the White Master Race. The most successful one seems to be an Asian business woman (or the gay telenovella actor, whatever your preference), so it doesn't seem like they are downplaying dem non-whites. I'd rather be a bus driver than some Paris Hilton/Justin Bieber like priviliged asshole.

harSon

Banned
c'mon Wachowski's.... you know I love you but a magical negro? On the plus side, they're some of the best in the business at putting together casts that aren't almost exclusively white.

Mr. Whispers lol sounds like something someone would name their cat.

Mr. Whispers sounds like Alan Wake's Mr. Scratch.
I get the impression he is going to be similar to Old Georgie from Cloud Atlas whispering to the characters to destroy one another instead of accepting their differences.

Cast Hugo Weaving and we are set for awesomeness :D

Is this the same project that we heard about awhile ago that dealt with the Iraq war or was that something different?

I still want that Will Smith "Hood" project....:)

c'mon Wachowski's.... you know I love you but a magical negro? On the plus side, they're some of the best in the business at putting together casts that aren't almost exclusively white.

Yeah, while I'm usually the first to call out Hollywood for their racist bullshit, these two are amongst a small group of filmmakers/television runners that I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt to. I expect this to be handled well. Morpheus was fine, and he would fit this trope. Come to think of it, I wouldn't be mad if Fishbourne were cast in the role.

Netflix bringing that heat yet again.

Is this the same project that we heard about awhile ago that dealt with the Iraq war or was that something different?

Different. No one wants to fund that project, but the Wachowskis said they will make it one way or another even if it means it will be in a different form. http://www.avclub.com/article/the-wachowskis-explain-how-icloud-atlasi-unplugs-p-87900

AVC: Are you planning on returning to Cobalt Neural 9, the project you were working on while waiting for Cloud Atlas funding?

AW: Yeah, we’ve got $5 million of our own money into it, so that’s definitely—we’ve made an investment. And we have an emotional investment, too, because we think the story is fantastic, and if we can’t make it in one form, we’ll make it in another form. Somehow, it will get made into some… thing. That might be a puppet show. [Laughs.]

LW: [Gestures at the office.] We’ll put it on here.

McNab

Banned
A transgender character makes as much sense in a story as a non-transgender character.

It all depends on the context, and like I said earlier, with that poor description, it sounds like they did it simply because they wanted a "taboo" and/or "progressive" character, which is just a scumbag way of getting all the sjw fedoras to watch their show.

Why does a transgender character have to "make sense to the story"? Why can't the character just be transgender without there having to be a huge explanation why they'd put a transgender person into the story?
The only reason to have a transgender character is that it is easy drama to make, considering most of the world is not accepting of transgenders.

A white party girl sure sounds like such a glorified & great profession for a character of the White Master Race. The most successful one seems to be an Asian business woman (or the gay telenovella actor, whatever your preference), so it doesn't seem like they are downplaying dem non-whites. I'd rather be a bus driver than some Paris Hilton/Justin Bieber like priviliged asshole.
Justin Bieber was not rich orginally and actually had some talents as to why he got rich, then he became an asshole, big difference. Also I'm calling bullshit on you wanting to be a bus driver than be rich, that's just idiotic.

McNab

Banned
The only reason to have a transgender character is that it is easy drama to make, considering most of the world is not accepting of transgenders.

Yes, this is what I'm trying to say.
By going out of your way to announce such a character exist instead of having the character reveal the fact through a well-written script and plot is easy bait.

By going out of your way to announce such a character exist instead of having the character reveal the fact through a well-written script and plot is easy bait.

This isn't an official reveal. It's from someone who has inside knowledge. These are likely the descriptions used for casting.

Of course the description will include she is transgender because they will likely cast a transgender actress.

Famassu

Given that one of the siblings is one herself, I'm pretty confident she can write a realistic transgendered character. And Netflix already has a Netflix original series with a well written transgendered person, no reason why they wouldn't be supportive to have something like that again.

Justin Bieber was not rich orginally and actually had some talents as to why he got rich, then he became an asshole, big difference. Also I'm calling bullshit on you wanting to be a bus driver than be rich, that's just idiotic.
Doesn't really matter, he then became rich and is now one of the biggest asshole celebrities in the world.

And yes, I'd rather be a bus driver than someone who does nothing but parties all the time. I do want to have something of essence to do and I've never given a fuck about money, just want to have enough of it for necessities (rent, bill, food) and some hobbies. I'm officially below the poverty line, yet I make due with what I have and can even support my gaming, reading, music listening etc. hobbies. I'd happily cut my future job's pay in half if that meant, say, that the school could hire another new teacher or school assistant. The only thing that sucks about my money situation, atm, is that it's so uncertain (not quite sure when I'll next get money), not the amount of money I get (which I'm pretty happy with). I really don't want a mansion. I don't want an expensive car, or any car, really (a bike works just fine). I mean, sure, I have a 42" HDTV, but I'm in no rush buying a new one (if this one lasts 20 years, then I'll keep it 20 years before buying any new 3D, 4K, 240Hz screens).

you know how nobody gives a white guy shit for including white male protagonists in their stories? nobody should give the wachowskis shit for including transgendered characters.

write what you know.

Orange Is The New Black features a transgender character in the main cast too. They might be the first.

I think Laverne Cox on OITNB might be the first transwoman actress playing a transwoman on TV as a starring role, but there have been a number of trans characters played by cis women (Rebecca Romjin as Alexis Meade on Ugly Betty is an American TV example that comes to mind, but there are others.)

And now it looks like the Wachowskis own sense8.com

It redirects to their Burlyman Entertainment comic book company... which has been rather inactive for years. But now that they have partnered up with JMS, you never know.. A Matrix comic by JMS.. I imagine some people would like that.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
So is it written by JMS and directed by the Wachowskis? Are there other directors? What's the deal?

Darklord

Banned

1365561781-0.jpg

Man, look at that shit! Just doing it for the drama. I mean a white man kissing a black woman? They clearly just want controversy.

It couldn't be because one of the Wachowski is transgender and would like you know, ONE trans character in something.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Maybe they saw Aziz's latest stand up. The part of about magic and black people spoke to them.

So is it written by JMS and directed by the Wachowskis? Are there other directors? What's the deal?

Original idea by: Wachowskis (but it stems back from a shared talk they had with JMS many years ago)

Written by: first 3 "spec" scripts entirely by the Wachowskis, then JMS joined them, but he has admitted they still do most of the writing ("Fortunately, I'm co-writing Sense8 with the Wachowskis, the smartest, most amazing writers ever, who carried most of these two scripts.")

Directors: Wachowskis & JMS & others. Main shoot is in Chicago (set, soundstage), then it will shoot in 7 different countries simultaneously, which means they will need 5 different directors (the Wachowskis and JMS being the other 2). JMS will shoot the London footage. The Wachowskis likely shoot most if not all of the Chicago footage, since it's their hometown and the town of the fictional transgender character as well.

Showrunners: Wachowskis & JMS

Production: "Studio JMS" is producing.

"Yep, I don't mind trans people, as long as they're not, you know in my face about it."

What a fucking joke. Why do gay or trans characters have to be revealed through the work naturally instead of, like other characters, simply starting who and what they are? Oh, right, because the logic is the same as above -- the thought of it being open in front of you makes your sensibilities blush.

Trans people exist in the real world, and not just "for drama." Eventually, art will have to reflect this. Get the fuck used to it.

The Wachowskis likely shoot most if not all of the Chicago footage, since it's their hometown and the town of the fictional transgender character as well.
Interesting. Explains why they shot some of Jupiter Ascending there as well, I suppose.

Interesting. Explains why they shot some of Jupiter Ascending there as well, I suppose.

They love Chicago very much.

The Matrix was originally set in Chicago, until it was changed to a fictional city called "Mega City". Some places in the movie are still Chicago named though.

They also have there since 2007 their post-production/editing facilities which is where they edit their movies or experiment (Cobalt Neural 9 test footage).

They would love to shoot all their movies there but currently this doesn't seem possible. http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...i-20121024_1_cloud-atlas-lana-wachowski-way/3

By now they look irritated and resigned again. They cycle back to Chicago. Andy says: “Someone asked if we could reincarnate, who we'd be? My first answer was Studs Terkel, who has been a huge influence on us, especially the way he drew the connections between people.” Lana says: “The point is, Chicago is influential to us. We think of ourselves as Chicago artists. We are Chicago artists. Most of our films are set here.”

But not shot here.

“There are no sound stages,” Lana replies, “not big enough ones anyway. Write that down.”

What about Kinowerks? What about expanding it?

“Kinowerks,” Andy says, pausing, “Kinowerks is as big as we can imagine this place ever becoming.”

Magical negroes are so 2013.

Less than 0.5% of the population is transgender. I know people can be extremely lucky sometimes but it's hard to believe the character was written as transgender at the mere flip of a coin.

Gannd

Banned
Magical negroes are so 2013.

Less than 0.5% of the population is transgender. I know people can be extremely lucky sometimes but it's hard to believe the character was written as transgender at the mere flip of a coin.

Why does it matter? It's a work of fiction. No character is written as a mere flip of the coin. If someone making a TV show wants to have a transsexual character why does it matter why? As long as the show is good it doesn't matter.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Original idea by: Wachowskis (but it stems back from a shared talk they had with JMS many years ago)

Written by: first 3 "spec" scripts entirely by the Wachowskis, then JMS joined them, but he has admitted they still do most of the writing ("Fortunately, I'm co-writing Sense8 with the Wachowskis, the smartest, most amazing writers ever, who carried most of these two scripts.")

Directors: Wachowskis & JMS & others. Main shoot is in Chicago (set, soundstage), then it will shoot in 7 different countries simultaneously, which means they will need 5 different directors (the Wachowskis and JMS being the other 2). JMS will shoot the London footage. The Wachowskis likely shoot most if not all of the Chicago footage, since it's their hometown and the town of the fictional transgender character as well.

Showrunners: Wachowskis & JMS

Production: "Studio JMS" is producing.
Interesting, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom