• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Murdered: Soul Suspects |OT| That niche cinematic ghost game no one's talking about

How terribly? I'd pick it up on Xbone, but it's almost $80 here in Ontario after tax. 360/PS3 is $10 cheaper.

Anyone play it on PS3?

As in don't bother running in the game unless you want it to stutter every 2 seconds. It's a mess. Jumpy as hell. Get the XBox One version, or wait.

I'd recommend the game at 40$, and definitely at 30$. Not at 60$ or 80$.

The stealth seemed to be going for an Arkham gargoyles type of thing.

Rented this from GameFly on Thursday and finished it yesterday. I loved the setting and atmosphere of the game as well as the collectibles. I enjoyed that the collectibles had stories behind them and that made it worth looking for them. Overall, I enjoyed the story as for the ending
I wasn't a big fan of it being a supernatural killer. I felt they were going that way early on, and it does fit with the story, but I was hoping for a single human killer

It's a fun game, but it definitely feels incomplete/rushed in certain parts. I found one ghost who had no dialogue when talked to, there are certain "clues" you can find in buildings that are outside of an investigation and serve no purpose, Exit the attic was set as my objective for the entire game, some side quest characters seem off, etc. Mostly, it's minor things, but it does feel like this was originally meant to be a bigger game. I enjoyed it and would recommend it. It's worth a playthrough.
I had the 'exit the attic' objective for the rest of the game as well. And met that ghost who was clearly bugged (with dialogue options but no dialogue).

Big Nikus

How terribly? I'd pick it up on Xbone, but it's almost $80 here in Ontario after tax. 360/PS3 is $10 cheaper.

Anyone play it on PS3?

360 version is absolutely terrible. The worst case of frame drop/stuttering I've ever seen in an official release. I would really enjoy the game otherwise. I feel robbed. And angry. I'll wait for a patch, right now the game is an unplayable mess.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Here it was a long-time coming, my full thoughts and review on Murdered: Soul Suspect.

header_292x136.jpg

Murdered: Soul Suspect is detective-ghost story told through the interactive-medium of gaming. Murdered is kind of like a combination between a TellTale game, LA Noire, and Alan Wake... But honestly the game is more often than not more like an interactive movie, and I think it's with these expectations that you best experience Murdered.

Murdered: Soul Suspect tells the tale of a man named Ronan, who at the game's start experiences his own death. He is pushed out of the window by a notorious murderer, who is known as the Bell Killer, who then commences to shoot him seven times in the chest. Ronan grew-up as a criminal in Salem, but changed his ways late in life to become a detective, partially for the woman he loved, Julia. However, he was torn apart a few months earlier, when Julia's life was taken at the hands of a street mugger. At death's door, Ronan discovers he is a spirit to this world, trapped here until he can move on from something that's keeping him bounded here. He finds out that he can be with Julia again in the world beyond our own if he can resolve whatever is keeping him here, so he goes out to try and solve the case of his own murder.

ss_b1bd50a27f82ac5983446e50beebd924277f97cd.600x338.jpg

Gameplay is rather simplistic in Murdered. You will spend most of your time exploring around, using your ghost powers, and looking for items and clues in the environment. As a ghost, you can freely pass through human-world objects, which essentially makes clipping a gameplay mechanic, but you might be surprised how natural it ends up feeling and due to some good visual cues and sounds it ends up not looking or feeling weird, and makes sense with everything else built up with the game. The only objects you can't pass through are ghost-world objects (relics from the past which are present in the ghost world, and tell-able they're ghost world as they glow with a blue aura), and into or out of buildings freely (ghosts can only enter or exit buildings through open doors or windows). Other powers at your disposal include the ability to possess people, to either read their minds or influence their thoughts, to poltergeist and make objects (mostly machinery) act up, to teleport around by choice, and a few other underutilized but still interesting powers.

The game splits-up between 'stages' (bigger interior areas usually), and a Salem hub-world. The stages I thought generally got better as the game went on, and Salem was a joy to explore... At first. The problem is that not much really happens in Salem, it stays the same mostly for the whole game so you can literally almost do everything in it the first time you enter the hub-area (with only a few things you can only do once you gain the teleportation power).

As you explore, there's a variety of content to immerse yourself in the world. There's a lot of side areas and areas off the beaten path. You can approach living people to listen in to conversations they're having with each other, made more amusing you can then possess them and see what they're REALLY thinking. You can approach ghosts, and either talk to them briefly, question them about something they're up too, and very occasionally help them via a side-quest to move onto from this world to the next. However, there are literally only about 3-4 side-quest in the game, and there is obvious content and characters that were left around for more side-quests, but were left-out as cut content. Things like items you can observe for no real reason, characters it looks like you would be able to help but then they cut you short from actually helping them.

And then there's the collectibles. This game kind of goes overboard with it's collectibles, but they're pretty enjoyable and expand a lot on the plot, the lore, Salem's history, character background's, additional cinematics, and my personal favorite, ghost stories. Extended from this, the investigation scenes usually have you looking for and going about collecting clues, and then putting together the clues that matter to a particular solution or outcome. These typically were rather simple, and sometimes felt more like sort of mindless collecting to get to the point. However, other times they actually felt kind of rewarding. None were really 'puzzles' I would say, but were a mixed bag.

ss_4ce384e13e414e41a90c4eff7e3e255192bedf13.600x338.jpg

The only other real gameplay mechanic is demons, which are rather underutilized. I didn't find them offensive, and I'll admit there was a few times when their screeches or them detecting me legitimately startled and scared me. However, there's only one type of demon in the game, you only face a few of them in the game, and their encounters are often brief and they're easy enough to deal with (you sneak up behind them to execute them, otherwise they spot you and chase you down, where you hide in things until they lose interest).

They're also made less threatening because of how much this game does not punish you for failure. Dying will only set you back right before the encounter, even with collectibles you've collected still being obtained. Failing in investigations is the same deal, you lose some 'detective's honor', but all you will get for failing is a low grade on that investigation, and honestly the grades do absolutely nothing I could discern.

But then this is a game I'd argue isn't really about winning or losing, it's an interactive film essentially, and on that account it pulls some things off really well.

Firstly, the audio design is fantastic in this game. The voice acting for the main characters are all well-done and performed, and even most minor characters are rather well-voiced (though you'll find a few reoccurring VAs). The ghost stories you can get via collectibles deserve particular praise, as the acting done here really adds a lot to the story, and honestly are really well-done.

But it's not just the voice acting. The music is very good too, with some good creepy vibes, emotional melodies, and songs to go well to the mystery. The ambiance of sounds in the environment also add a lot, with a lot of attention to detail to help bring the locations alive. And even the game sounds, for solving cases, getting clues, etc., are all satisfying and fitting.

ss_107666e81f151ba1f74a9994526abdc89d8bd544.600x338.jpg

The story is quite good, especially if you like detective-ghost stories, ala' The Frighteners, Sixth Sense, or the like. While the writing can be a bit hammy at times, they do have some believable dialogue between characters, the story has interesting developments as it goes on, and there are some rather well-done plot twists throughout.

CIneamtics deserve special mention. The cinematography is really well-done, with fantastic angles, focus, artistic direction, and were a joy to watch.

And the characters are well-realized, trope-ish, but manage to be developed and become more than their tropes and have rather realistic relationships with each other. They have fights and don't agree, but come together (sometimes reluctantly), and there are a few heart-warming moments and real development with each other as it goes on.

The game has a good balance between being more lighthearted, and being darker. There are certain ghosts you'll encounter, and specific scenes that go in deliciously dark directions but the game doesn't go over-the-top with it and balances it out with some lighthearted moments, which for the sort of story they try to tell is appreciated (all-dark works in some places, I don't think the story of a ghost cop should be one of them).

Graphically it looks good for the sort of niche budget title it is. Some nice attention to detail in environments, some good art direction, and some of the models are rather well poly'd. There's some visual quality dips in certain areas, textures... But not a bad looking game at all.

600x340.resizedimage

Because of all the extra content, peoples time playing the game will greatly differ. If you just go through the story and don't partake really in the world built here or additional story, the game can easily be beaten in 3-5 hours. But take part and really delve into the world constructed here, and your game time may be much closer to 9-13 hours (I spent 13 hours personally and almost got all collectibles).

Generally, I would label this as a game for gamers who like story, exploring, and world-building above all else. Gameplay really takes a step-down to the game's other elements, and it will definitely strike with its niche. But its lack of action, focus on making what is usually the 'extra' parts of games the main part, and just the general styling and minimal gameplay make it lack that mainstream appeal. I'd also say it isn't worth its $50 pricetag, but felt it was worth it for the $15-25 range.

I'd say if the game interests you, it is worth experiencing... Just maybe not at full price. It is different than your typical budgeted game in this day and age, and is sure to find a cult audience. In some aspects, it's a bit disappointing or under-cooked, but as a whole, this may be one of the best realized classic-styled ghost stories to appear in the gaming medium for years. Like the Fedora or not, Ronan is the perfect tour guide into a very different look at ghosts, Salem, and games with a budget.

When you "poltergeist" stuff, is that a giant ghost hawk that flies into what you are targeting? If you blink you will miss it. I absolutely love games like this. Strange, niche, ghost game that are Japanese produced.

Harlequin

When you "poltergeist" stuff, is that a giant ghost hawk that flies into what you are targeting? If you blink you will miss it. I absolutely love games like this. Strange, niche, ghost game that are Japanese produced.

Uhm...I'm pretty sure this is a Western production.

Tizoc

Slowly plowing through the game but so far getting the hang of it. It does feel like an Adventure game but I do not like
the demons and their 'stealth' sections.
Made it to the Church, but i think I'll focus on the main plot and help out the ghosts. I'll leave collectibles for last if I even bother to do them

AkuMifune

Banned
Slowly plowing through the game but so far getting the hang of it. It does feel like an Adventure game but I do not like
the demons and their 'stealth' sections.
Made it to the Church, but i think I'll focus on the main plot and help out the ghosts. I'll leave collectibles for last if I even bother to do them

I like those sections, actually. Adds a bit of conflict where otherwise there'd be none.

Dusk Golem summed up my impressions quite well. It's a solid interactive story/adventure game that's not difficult, cheesy in parts, but surprisingly well done and definitely recommended to anyone who likes adventure or mystery games, especially like the Sherlock Holmes games. Has a bit of Beyond: Two Souls in it as well, which I personally loved. Probably helps I got it for cheap, and yeah, sub $30 is worth it.

Having a weird issue (PC, Nvidia) where the achievements flicker...? Tried to enable triple-buffering but didn't help. Anyone have any ideas? But I'm more than half way anyway, only a minor annoyance.

bryanee

FUCK YEAH FOR GAME ENDING GLITCHES.

I have to leave the museum but can I? Nooooooo. All the floors outside the museum has fucking gone. Even after reloading. I am pissed because I was enjoying it.

Bpt_4JZIYAA6bnK.jpg:large

The game will not let me continue.

Montresor

The collectibles in this are killing me. Way too many.

Vanquish collectibles also left a disgusting taste in my mouth - and that's a game-of-the-gen calibre shooter. I hate collectibles achievements in LINEAR games.

Menome

In the unlikely event we get to OT2, surely the subtitle needs to be "Exit the Attic"?

Finished the game about half an hour ago, and enjoyed it about as much as I was expecting. A short, but sweet game with a couple of niggles here and there, but worth the £30 I spent on it.

I'm guessing the little glowing symbols around town were supposed to be "reveal-spots" for the writing collectable? After the one I came across in the attic, they just stopped working and I couldn't even target them, so I missed out on getting those during the game.

AkuMifune

Banned
In the unlikely event we get to OT2, surely the subtitle needs to be "Exit the Attic"?

Finished the game about half an hour ago, and enjoyed it about as much as I was expecting. A short, but sweet game with a couple of niggles here and there, but worth the £30 I spent on it.

I'm guessing the little glowing symbols around town were supposed to be "reveal-spots" for the writing collectable? After the one I came across in the attic, they just stopped working and I couldn't even target them, so I missed out on getting those during the game.

Not sure, they never worked for me either. I assumed it was post-game, but then I got one to work right before the end of the game.

Also finished it last night. Loved it at $20, would have liked it for $30, meh at $60.

It is short and easy and rough around the edges, but the voice acting and story are both really well done, worth playing if you find that stuff important. Which I do! And is why it'll be on my GOTY list somewhere.

Tizoc

About to leave
The Museum, how far am I from the end of the game? I hate this forced stealth section ugh

Tohsaka

Finished this last night with the platinum trophy on PS4. I actually liked the fact that there were so many collectibles because they had information about the history of Salem, which I used to go quite often when I was younger, and backstory on the game's characters. If the game had a bigger budget and was perhaps a bit longer, I think it could've gotten more attention from gamers and the press. I enjoyed it for what it was, overall, and don't regret buying it.

Been watching the lady play this for the last couple days, I can't speak for the gameplay but it's been fun to watch. She's been really enjoying everything but the "combat" which she thinks is the worst shit ever.

I love how the game varies between truly awful writing and truly hilarious dialog.

OT title should either be, "what if you have to pee in the pillory" or "my mom gave me that gun"

Menome

I agree, definitely the worst part of the game.

I ended up going on the aggressive with the demons. Wait a few seconds for them to turn around and ensure that no others are looking at me, then run up and exorcise them all in a chain to get it over and done with. I ended up needing to hide twice through the entire game.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Anyone play it on PS3?

I've played a few hours on PS3. I can't say I encountered a single glitch or any notable frame rate hitch, the game ran fine enough, the only judder is when you're running through walls indoors, but its not a 'slow down' judder, its like a nano second pause then "whaam" ghostly noise and you're in the other room.

flyover

How creepy/scary/gory is this game -- if at all? My wife and I often play console games together, but she has a low tolerance for that stuff, especially if it has a weird, David Lynchian bent to it. She couldn't do Silent Hill, Fatal Frame, or Deadly Premonition (because of the bent-over-backward ghouls), but she handled The Last of Us pretty well (because it's more straightforward and tense than creepy).

How creepy/scary/gory is this game -- if at all? My wife and I often play console games together, but she has a low tolerance for that stuff, especially if it has a weird, David Lynchian bent to it. She couldn't do Silent Hill, Fatal Frame, or Deadly Premonition (because of the bent-over-backward ghouls), but she handled The Last of Us pretty well (because it's more straightforward and tense than creepy).
Creepy - somewhat, you see ghosts and stuff all over
Scary - not really, there are orange demon ghost things that can kill you but the screen just goes black
Gory - not very, they show or allude to people getting killed but it is never gory except for some blood maybe

Let's just say I showed the game to my wife who got nightmares after seeing Shaun of the Dead, and she was fine with it.

Just finished it.

Gave me vibes of this

big.jpg

Was a good story and entertaining. As a "game", not so great though.

Well worth a rental in my view.

Tizoc

Dat plot twist. Good story and voice acting but overall gameplay...leaved much to be desired.

Nah the game isn't scary. There are 'demons' though in certain sections that you need to avoid or get rid of, at that point the game becomes a stealth segment. You either disperse the demons or avoid being caught by them to progress in a chapter. You'll know you've reached a demons section when you hear their high pitched scream tho :p

Marjar

Banned
Beat this the other day.

Honestly, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Good story with a twist that I wasn't expecting (that admittedly feels a bit rushed at the end) and gameplay that while minimal is still fun because of the exploration and discovering the history of Salem, Ronan's past, and the ghost stories.

The combat is of course the worst part, but it does add a bit of variety and it's not difficult to get by. You can actually easily just sneak past the demons and not even attempt to kill them.

Overall I think it's a pretty good game. Much, much better than the reviews led me to believe.

One thing I found disappointing.

Any of the parts where you had to escort someone. You had to distract the guards, turn off cameras etc. Where was the skill? It was just find the right thing to interact with and the magic happens.

There was no risk of being caught at all.

And the ending with a time limit was crazy.

It was good to see someone make something a bit different, just a shame it lacked polish.

CyReN

FUCK YEAH FOR GAME ENDING GLITCHES.

I have to leave the museum but can I? Nooooooo. All the floors outside the museum has fucking gone. Even after reloading. I am pissed because I was enjoying it.

Bpt_4JZIYAA6bnK.jpg:large

The game will not let me continue.

I got that, you have to go back a bit and it "reloads" the demons then you go by them and it should be fine.

Beat the game yesterday, solid 7.5/10.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
This hilariously enough became our first Platinum trophy. Anyone who cares about such things should at least rent this, we did it without even trying.

Getting a platinum/all achievements in this game basically amounts to getting all the collectibles and beating the game.

glaurung

I finished this game during the weekend.

It is an unbearably broken, shitty game that flushes itself down the drains with poor choices and unimaginative puzzles.

Dreadful. My most regrettable PS4 purchase so far.

Crispy

Reviewed this game for a Dutch website. I liked it, but there are too many things dragging it down, especially the 'stealth' sections and awkward targeting controls. I'd recommend it for a budget price though.

Top Bottom