• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Murdered: Soul Suspects |OT| That niche cinematic ghost game no one's talking about

Dr Dogg

Blimey there seems to be a fair old bit of side content and there's collectables galore. Also didn't expect Salem to be this open. Well I say open, it's still pretty small but at least it's nice to go have a poke around and not be railroaded from pillar to post.

Getting very much mid to late 90's adventure game feel to this. Probably why I'm getting quite a kick out of it to be fair.

Ricker

Just Cause posters all over lol...I like this game so far,just got out of the police station heading to the next area...

To the guy asking about the cat thing,you are probably not even halfway through I guess...

Gvaz

Banned
ipkQdhU.png

nowthatswhatimtolkienabout.jpg

bryanee

I just started and I'm very much liking the setting an atmosphere so far. The story and characters so far seem pretty good as well.

Haunted

See, if they actually were playing it, it wouldn't bother me- when I saw it on someone's screen for the first time I thought it was actually pretty funny. Then I realized the person using that computer still had the generic cop thoughts and were acting like they were working, and then I saw it blatantly on every other screen...
I see it more like an easter egg, it doesn't have to be integrated terribly well.

What did bother me is that this is one of those games where the world completely revolves around your character. Basically, every NPC on every street in the whole city only thinks about your death or the latest plot point in the ongoing story. Big mistake in world building 101. LA Noire did the same and it was similarly stupid.

Locust

10414474_10152437649317410_1356488892031043591_n_zps6a82b448.jpg

So close... I beat the game so theres no way to go back. Maybe I'll do another play through to complete the 3 I didn't finish. Definitely need a guide though.

I ended up with a similar count, missed 3 Julia/murderer collectibles (plus somehow all of the ghost graffiti except for one). Backed up my save before starting the last bit but I don't think I'm going to bother. Just a completely pointless endeavor without any sort of map or per-area statistics.

Ape

Banned
Almost bought the game today, then saw $59.99 - nope. Hope it comes down soon I don't want to spend that much on such a short game.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Almost bought the game today, then saw $59.99 - nope. Hope it comes down soon I don't want to spend that much on such a short game.

You can get the game for $25 here: http://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/murdered-soul-suspect-pc-cd-key-steam (only PC though)

Can get it for $24 if you like them on Facebook and use the 5% coupon you'll get for liking them on Facebook.

The key did work for me, and is how I got the game. It's a key reseller but I decided to use them from recommendation from friends, positive reviews online, and some Steam GAF'ers saying they've used the site before, and it usually works, and when it doesn't, customer service is good and they'll refund you. Also will mention I live in the Us, as the key you'll get it a European key, but it isn't region-locked.

Corpekata

Banned
There really seems to be a lot of cut content. Like the first couple levels and the hub have a sidequest in them. A few hours in they disappear. There even appear to be remnants of the quests. There will be things you can examine that have no connection to anything.

The game just kinda feels empty and basic. The Julia and murderer collectables are okay but everything else, let me look at it guys! If I collect a book, let me see the book, even if it's just flavor text. I feel like I'm just collecting crap so Ronan can solve it, and not actually solving it myself. When they do try to involve the player it's frankly kind of hilarious. Match the emotion of the terrified little kid guys! Is she happy, or scared?

And having a murderer's identity being a central mystery when your cast has MAYBE 5 characters with names is not a great idea.

Big Nikus

The game stutters a lot for me, it's unbearable. I'm playing on 360. It feels like the game is constantly loading something and the lag is horrible. Next time i play I'll uninstall it to see if it's one of those few games that should be played from the disc only.
Otherwise I really liked the two hours I played, but the constant stuttering got on my nerves.

Corpekata

Banned
Perhaps they are real-time on PC, PS4 definitely has compressed video that's is just below the PS4's in-game graphics.
Even when you ask a question it switches to video.

No, it looks bad on PC too. The in-engine stuff is MUCH better. It was extremely distracting switching back constantly.

Got my platinum this morning. I really enjoyed it for what it was and its a nice change of style game compared to most releases. The combat/demon crap was annoying but overall a solid game.

I rented this game via Redbox for 2 nights and completed 2 playthroughs, including all collectibles and 1000 GS. For anyone considering buying it, I'd recommend waiting for a sub-$20 price. It's not a terrible game, and you may even enjoy it if the concept interests you, but it's not a title you'll play again when you're finished.

Haunted

I'm enjoying the game but I'm having a hard time finding clues. Any general hints?
The investigation areas where you can find clues are usually very small and confined; two or three rooms at the most. Honestly, it's just a lot of looking around and pressing X to inspect points of interest (usually highlighted by some sort of visual aid: a light shining on something, something being rendered at higher resolution than neighbouring textures, police markers).

If it's a specific example, I'm sure someone can help out. Also, don't forget that sometimes you can't get all the clues at first, you need to move forward in the investigation and make a connection between hints you've already found to unlock the option to get the last couple clues.

I'm not even as big a fedora hater than others here, but I honestly prefer this understated design over the tattooed fedora faux-30s outfit detective Ronan we got.

BTA

I see it more like an easter egg, it doesn't have to be integrated terribly well.

What did bother me is that this is one of those games where the world completely revolves around your character. Basically, every NPC on every street in the whole city only thinks about your death or the latest plot point in the ongoing story. Big mistake in world building 101. LA Noire did the same and it was similarly stupid.

The death thing isn't exactly surprising, because you were killed only a few blocks away or so from most of the people you're possessing, but the random thoughts about witches seem weird (I know it's Salem, but it's a bit much). I appreciated the joke about the plaques that pops up every now and then, too. Regardless, LA Noire's annoyed the hell out of me, so I can definitely see where you're coming from.

There really seems to be a lot of cut content. Like the first couple levels and the hub have a sidequest in them. A few hours in they disappear. There even appear to be remnants of the quests. There will be things you can examine that have no connection to anything.

The game just kinda feels empty and basic. The Julia and murderer collectables are okay but everything else, let me look at it guys! If I collect a book, let me see the book, even if it's just flavor text. I feel like I'm just collecting crap so Ronan can solve it, and not actually solving it myself. When they do try to involve the player it's frankly kind of hilarious. Match the emotion of the terrified little kid guys! Is she happy, or scared?

And having a murderer's identity being a central mystery when your cast has MAYBE 5 characters with names is not a great idea.

just finished the game, &, yeah, there seemed to be a whole lot of stuff missing. weirdest thing for me:
all the hiding spots throughout the city. i have to believe that, originally, there were supposed to be demons scattered throughout - which would've sucked, btw - & that they just opted to pass on it, because, as is, they serve no friggin' purpose whatsoever :)

very reminiscent of remember me: big, sometimes interesting, vision brought down by lack of technical know-how & budget. not worth full price, but worth the ride (& i definitely didn't see the twist at the end coming, so that's something :) )...

I want to get this game but the price is a little high, I'll get it when its on sale. Or as soon as I build my pc, I'll find it cheap for sure.

Montresor

This game looks like it has an assload of missable achievements. Is there any way to keep track of that spoiler-free? I already accidentally spoiled locations (like the
the museum
) and abilities (like
teleport
) while looking up missables.

No way around that, is there? I will probably just say fuck it and dive in without worrying about the missables and save that for a second play through.

I like the art style of the game so far, and on xb1 the game looks very nice. I'm excited for some sleuthing.

Hide in a hiding spot or person. Bound around between spots if they're looking for you.

I've never found bounding between spots really helpful. They'll just check your spot eventually.

I'm at the point where, if a demon sees me, I just resume from checkpoint. It wastes less time than trying to wait for them to cool down.

Heretic

I've never found bounding between spots really helpful. They'll just check your spot eventually.

I'm at the point where, if a demon sees me, I just resume from checkpoint. It wastes less time than trying to wait for them to cool down.
I'm almost at that point too. They can see you no matter where you're hiding even in people.

I'm having trouble recognizing whether they're facing me or if they're facing away. That's just my horrible vision though :p

Just finished it, but it walks a fine line between what a game is due to is very limited gameplay. Enjoyed it but def a purchase at a cheaper price.

Corpekata

Banned

Really? I've found they'll check like 4 spots max so I just zipped along between them.

Though if you manage to aggro more than 1 it's probably a different story, but I only had that happen once and I died.

Gvaz

Banned
Good:
- Ghost Trick + LA Noire
- Audio
- MC is a ghost detective, and seems levelheaded and cool
- setting is cool
Bad:
- "Combat" is a qte that keeps changing
- Textures on max are AWFUL and inconsistent
- Level design is lame
- Have no idea what the MC's name is
- "puzzle" answers are so obvious that I tend to go "no it can't be that" and frequently get them wrong, until I get the right one and realize I was thinking too hard
- Investigation is kind of overly tedious, Phoenix Wright did this better years ago. This is like Miles Edgeworth investigating.
- Can't seem to get steam screenshots to work properly and I'm not sure why.

Got it for around $22, I feel like I paid a little bit too much. Absolutely not worth $50+

This game looks like it has an assload of missable achievements. Is there any way to keep track of that spoiler-free? I already accidentally spoiled locations (like the
the museum
) and abilities (like
teleport
) while looking up missables.

No way around that, is there? I will probably just say fuck it and dive in without worrying about the missables and save that for a second play through.

I like the art style of the game so far, and on xb1 the game looks very nice. I'm excited for some sleuthing.

Looks like you've already been spoiled on everything related to missable achievements. Basically, the only missables are collectibles, and only the ones in the single area you mentioned. Get them all the first time you're there.

Furthermore, there's a point of no return before starting the final mission, but the game explicitly warns you about that with a message.

The "current objective" thing in the pause screen and after loading is bugged, saying to leave the attic, a thing I did hours ago.

Locust

- Can't seem to get steam screenshots to work properly and I'm not sure why.

The overlay/recording app that comes with MSI Afterburner blocks Steam overlay from working at least. Basically, if you are running anything that has an ingame overlay (even if it's not visible) you should try starting the game without it.

Montresor

Looks like you've already been spoiled on everything related to missable achievements. Basically, the only missables are collectibles, and only the ones in the single area you mentioned. Get them all the first time you're there.

Furthermore, there's a point of no return before starting the final mission, but the game explicitly warns you about that with a message.

Excellent, thanks.

Gvaz

Banned
The overlay/recording app that comes with MSI Afterburner blocks Steam overlay from working at least. Basically, if you are running anything that has an ingame overlay (even if it's not visible) you should try starting the game without it.

Yeah, I have to launch Fraps AFTER the steam overlay, but then it means steam screenshots have the fraps counter...

AHA-Lambda

From the looks of things, I'm about halfway through so far, it's definitely a short campaign.

The gameplay is very limited, moreso like a simplified LA Noire, where you just walk around a crime scene waiting for the pop up icon until you've found everything. But I must say I've been enjoying the story, and the acting is pretty good, especially on Ronan.

It's definitely worth a playthrough I'd say if you can get it cheap if you like games of the Telltale ilk certainly. It's a B tier affair and some things can stand out resulting from that but I don't think it has deserved the metascore it got. In fact I'd rather play this than something like Watch Dogs, at least this is trying something different.

Brew124

Just finished it last night. I was a fan of L.A. Noire, so I enjoyed this game as well.

There really wasn't a whole lot to do outside of exploring Salem for collectibles. Once you were in the designated spot for each particular chapter, it was just about moving from one scene to the next, and still finding collectibles.

I didn't use a walkthrough or guide, and ended up getting the Platinum trophy fairly easy. I think there was only 3 or 4 things I had to go back and search for.

I would definitely recommend playing through the game if you have access to rent it or a way to purchase it cheaper than full retail. As was stated, the acting was decent enough, and the story was fairly good.

Finished it.

I'd say it was fairly decent if you like murder mysteries, but it certainly has a lot of issues too. With regards to the story, the ending felt fairly rushed.
Baxter goes to get Joys mother and then you never see him again? And I felt that there could have been a bit more build up towards the reveal at the end, the resolution also felt somewhat anticlimactic.
But overall I'd say I enjoyed it.

The gameplay was a bit more hit and miss. I enjoyed the investigations, but they could have done with being a bit more complex, there were way too many collectibles just scattered about with no real thought and the stealth/combat bits were just bad. I might have enjoyed them a bit more if executions weren't so random, but they really added nothing to the game whatsoever.

I would like to see a sequel to expand on the ideas a bit, it certainly feel like the basis for a really good game, they just need to work out what to do with the mechanics and not rush it so much.

I am really enjoying this game. Taking my time, and savoring everything. I love how when you "poltergeist" stuff, a ghost hawk flies into the object you are targeting. I like playing more than i like playing watch dogs. I took a break because i dont want to beat it all at once. So glad i bought this game.

Parsnip

I played a bunch yesterday and hit what seemed like a pretty annoying bug at the 4th floor.

Influencing the policeman to lift the folder with obscured pictures just wouldn't trigger. I must have tried 20 times to load the checkpoint, doing the minimal in the room to get to that point and have that bug out again and again. And then when it finally triggered, I didn't do anything different from before. :(
Hopefully that's the only progress impeding bug I come across.

That aside, kind of liking it so far. The constant switching between 30fps bink and 60fps in-game is a little jarring for sure. At least the binks are 1080p and not compressed all to hell. They are still binks, but they could be worse.

Brew124

Finished it.

I'd say it was fairly decent if you like murder mysteries, but it certainly has a lot of issues too. With regards to the story, the ending felt fairly rushed.
Baxter goes to get Joys mother and then you never see him again? And I felt that there could have been a bit more build up towards the reveal at the end, the resolution also felt somewhat anticlimactic.
But overall I'd say I enjoyed it.

Baxter is actually in the final cutscene inside the Police Station I think. When it cuts to it, and you see Joy sitting in the background on the bench before her mom walks in, there's a ghost officer standing in front of her that I assume was Baxter, unless it was someone else.

Robert7lee

Neo Member
Trying to play this'll pc but I keep getting out off by the stuttering when entering a new area, just keeps happening. This is with nvidia vsync and in game vsync off.

Same thing happens on lowest settings

AHA-Lambda

Just finished it, man is it short! But I stand by my earlier statements, it's flawed but definitely worth a look if you get it cheap. Reviewers were too harsh on this imo.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Just starting up! So far so good.

Are there multiple endings?
And is it true Airtight shut down?

I love the writing in this game. I love the ghostly burning buildings. So dark. Its short, so savor this game on your play through. Find everything. Read everything.

Montresor

Why don't artifacts have a "new" tag next to them? I cant keep track of what I have and have not read.

XB1 version has annoying frame rate hitches.

The game seems really unpolished. Tons of obviously re-used citizen character models. Tons of re-used citizen "mind-read" thoughts. And why cant I cancel out of a mind-read? It's annoying cycling through "mind-reads" then finding out Ive already listened to one, but Dispossess is greyed out so I cant cancel out....

So all of the above makes for what is an unpolished experience. I probably wont rate the game more than 3/5, likely I'll give it a 2.5/5 when I'm done. That's still worth a play through, especially considering the genre the game is in.

This game is like an open-world telltale game, with actual game play. The product just lacks a little polish. I'm always open to any excuse to play another game in the vein of Walking Dead, Ghost Trick, Hotel Dusk, 999, etc... This game does not come close to the upper echelon of this genre, but it still satisfies the need to play a point-and-click adventure game.

Beat it last night off a Redbox rental.

Short, but good. Doesn't overstay its' welcome on the adventure part, ABSOLUTELY does on the stealth demon part though. Uggh.

Knew Rex was Willingham just based off the face and voice, but it was still funny to see him in the credits.

360 version runs TERRIBLY. Play it as a last resort. But play this game. It's worth your time.

Rented this from GameFly on Thursday and finished it yesterday. I loved the setting and atmosphere of the game as well as the collectibles. I enjoyed that the collectibles had stories behind them and that made it worth looking for them. Overall, I enjoyed the story as for the ending
I wasn't a big fan of it being a supernatural killer. I felt they were going that way early on, and it does fit with the story, but I was hoping for a single human killer

It's a fun game, but it definitely feels incomplete/rushed in certain parts. I found one ghost who had no dialogue when talked to, there are certain "clues" you can find in buildings that are outside of an investigation and serve no purpose, Exit the attic was set as my objective for the entire game, some side quest characters seem off, etc. Mostly, it's minor things, but it does feel like this was originally meant to be a bigger game. I enjoyed it and would recommend it. It's worth a playthrough.

Top Bottom