• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Murdered: Soul Suspects |OT| That niche cinematic ghost game no one's talking about

SDCowboy

So am I the only one loving this game? To me, it's like that bad B horror movie that you love despite, or maybe even because of all its flaws. lol Beyond that though, the concepts in this game are fantastic. I just wish they were more fleshed out. I hope we get another game out of this.

GavinUK86

Wow, this thread is pretty dead (pun intended).

Just finished it on PC and was actually quite impressed. Worth the purchase I think. Even though everything was pretty basic it all worked and nothing became tedious. Characters were great and they all felt like they belonged in that world. I also really loved the story. It had me gripped from beginning to end. I've come away fairly pleased with it on the whole.

Only real issues I had was the collectibles and side "quests".

Collectibles didn't really amount to much apart from an extra little story it told you, which most of the time turned out pretty dull. It felt like they included them just because every game seems to need them nowadays.

The game started out with a couple quite interesting side quests but then they pretty much vanished as you progressed. It's like they wrote 3 or 4 then gave up. I wandered around the town right at the beginning and completed them so the rest of the game felt really empty in that regard.

All in all, it was definitely worth the £15 I paid from GMG. Maybe I would be less kind if I paid the £50 for the PS4 or XBO versions though.

Aces&Eights

One dude saying the story sucks confirms your fears? Damn.

Not to advertise Kotaku by any means but their review was really in-depth. They go into great detail about the detective mechanics and it really is "spam all options until you get it". There are no penalties, whatsoever, for getting ANYTHING wrong. It simply crosses out the wrong choice and you now pick from the remaining ones.

I have been watching this game for a while. They really didn't have to do much for me to purchase it as I can forgive game length and fighting mechanics if there is a great story and intuitive puzzle solving. I really like the detective stuff, heck, I plat'd the last Sherlock Holmes (Testament).

So, reading that the core of the game (solving the mystery) is simply pick one until it goes green is very disheartening. As some above posters have stated, if the game were $40.00 then I could be a little more forgiving but paying $60.00 for a 5 hour game that involves zero thinking or deductions? Nope.

Parsnip

Wow, this thread is pretty dead (pun intended).

Just finished it on PC and was actually quite impressed. Worth the purchase I think. Even though everything was pretty basic it all worked and nothing became tedious. Characters were great and they all felt like they belonged in that world. I also really loved the story. It had me gripped from beginning to end. I've come away fairly pleased with it on the whole.

I'm still sitting on my pre-load, gah.

SDCowboy

As some above posters have stated, if the game were $40.00 then I could be a little more forgiving]but paying $60.00 for a 5 hour game that involves zero thinking or deductions? Nope.
Have you played that game? In my time with the game, it's not so much about actually puzzling your brain to solve the crime as it is a story driven game with you trying to find the clues. The actual solution is there to progress the story.

FatalT

Banned
Have you played that game? In my time with the game, it's not so much about actually puzzle your brain to solve the crime as it is a story driven game with you trying to find the clues. The actual solution is there to progress the story.
The problem with that is it might as well just be a visual novel. I'm sure you noticed that even if you select the wrong clue for an investigation's answer, you lose one of your three shields until you only have one left. Then no matter how many times you mess up, it just stays at one shield. No failure or anything.

The only time you can fail is if a demon eats you or the demon hands pull you down. Meh.

aravuus

Not to advertise Kotaku by any means but their review was really in-depth. They go into great detail about the detective mechanics and it really is "spam all options until you get it". There are no penalties, whatsoever, for getting ANYTHING wrong. It simply crosses out the wrong choice and you now pick from the remaining ones.

I have been watching this game for a while. They really didn't have to do much for me to purchase it as I can forgive game length and fighting mechanics if there is a great story and intuitive puzzle solving. I really like the detective stuff, heck, I plat'd the last Sherlock Holmes (Testament).

So, reading that the core of the game (solving the mystery) is simply pick one until it goes green is very disheartening. As some above posters have stated, if the game were $40.00 then I could be a little more forgiving but paying $60.00 for a 5 hour game that involves zero thinking or deductions? Nope.

I agree on the lack of need to deduct things for yourself, it's a shame

But what I meant was, I'd never heed anyone's opinion on how enjoyable a story is. Other aspects of a game maybe, if someone told me it plays like utter shit or how horrible the sound quality and voice acting were I'd be a bit wary, but people like so vastly different things when it comes to stories, I'd rather just find out by myself.

SDCowboy

The problem with that is it might as well just be a visual novel. I'm sure you noticed that even if you select the wrong clue for an investigation's answer, you lose one of your three shields until you only have one left. Then no matter how many times you mess up, it just stays at one shield. No failure or anything.

The only time you can fail is if a demon eats you or the demon hands pull you down. Meh.

Well if course it's going to let you keep guessing. What punishment could there be? The game and the story has to be able to be continued. Do you want a game over for guessing wrong? Then all you have to do is reload and it is the exact same thing. Again, IMO, this isn't about the player solving the puzzles as much as it is discovering the clues, and from those, experiencing the story.

GavinUK86

Like everything Telltale makes.

It's basically a visual novel and the Telltale games are very similar. The only caveat is there is more of a illusion of choice and consequence in Telltale when in reality, there isn't much of one. You'd think Telltale games were highly replayable because of that but unless your really into the story, not so much. Sure there is the difference of pricing, I'll give the telltale games that for sure, yet also Murdered Soul Suspect runs much better then any of the console releases of the Telltale games from all my experience. Sadly.Bottom line, people that enjoy those games should find a lot to enjoy with Murdered. Sure it has it's differences but still very similar in idea and story telling through gaming medium.

SDCowboy

Just beat the game. It definitely is on the shorter side which I think ok for this game. IMO, it had it's issues, but was a fun experience overall. Would have made a good rental if those places still existed anywhere near me. Anyway, I give it a solid 7.5/10.

Just beat the game. It definitely is on the shorter side which I think ok for this game. IMO, it had it's issues, but was a fun experience overall. Would have made a good rental if those places still existed anywhere near me. Anyway, I give it a solid 7.5/10.

How far am I? I just got the part with the Cat. I've played a little over an hour or so.

Lijik

So am I the only one loving this game? To me, it's like that bad B horror movie that you love despite, or maybe even because of all its flaws. lol Beyond that though, the concepts in this game are fantastic. I just wish they were more fleshed out. I hope we get another game out of this.

Thats the vibe I got from the little footage I saw and the cat gifs.
Got a steam key on the cheap (25 bucks!) and saving it to play through it with a friend later this month, we're hoping for a good dumb time.

Menome

My copy arrived early through the post today, so put in a couple of hours this evening. Enjoying it so far and I quite like the 'scoring' system for investigations. No game-over penalty for getting it wrong, but you know you got it wrong. You know and it bugs you into thinking it through more for the next one.

morpix

I'm picking this up after work. Preordered and everything. Reviews be damned, this game looks like a new take on the adventure genre with crime solving things. Right up my alley.

Zukuu

Banned
Finished the game. Was incredible hooked. While the ending wasn't really satisfying to me, in fact, a huge let down, I overall had much fun for the few hours it took me to beat it. Played more like a visual novel with more freedom than anything else, but I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing. Now I seriously want to play Ghost Trick. Need to find a cheap 3DS somewhere. It has already quite a few games I want to play. Then again, this summer is packed with games I look forward to to play (mainly RPGs). Get the game when it's a bit cheaper and you won't regret it.

BTA

I'm enjoying the game so far, but I'm disappointed that wasn't as charmingly bad as I expected and ended up just being sorta bland, to the point where I'm surprised I'm still having fun with it. So much of it seems lazily designed, like the developers didn't care about it. The demons are an obvious issue; this game didn't need stealth gameplay forced into it for no real reason. The collectibles that are supposed to tell you more about the serial killer and their victims show absolutely no sign of coming together to something interesting and are just there for the sake of having tons of collectibles, which is weird when most of the other collectibles at least actually contribute something to the story. There is somehow no in-game map system, and the pre-order bonus map that could make up for that is an utterly bizarre mess- it has an account system with social network integration out the whazoo but most of the collectibles aren't even marked correctly, sometimes being in the entirely wrong game area, among several other issues that prevent it from being actually helpful. There's also the blatant "references" (if you can even call them that) to other games SE has published in the form of PC monitors and poster without any effort at all to make them realistic easter eggs (you could at least not stick those in a police station). And that's just what I've noticed at this point.

But I'm really loving the unlockable ghost stories, at least, and those flickering ghosts you see all over the place sometimes scare me more than anything else has. Honestly, I just wish more of the game was actually about the ghost side-quests and not the relatively boring serial killer story, because those have been pretty interesting so far. And I think my game time's going to be longer than what a few others have said thanks to trying to find all the collectibles, but it's also going to be thanks to dealing with that map.

Oh, and Joy's an amazing character who might be what ends up saving the game for me. I'd appreciate if someone could tell me her voice actress; she sounds incredibly familiar and I'm embarrassed that I don't know who it is, but I don't want to risk spoilers trying to correct that.

Dominator

I am really enjoying this. I fear I'm going to miss some items that I won't be able the Platinum unless I restart the entire game. The actual town you can roam around before going to different linear sections is actually quite large. Much larger than I expected.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
How well does the game perform on consoles specifically XB1? I noticed some screen tearing in a PS4 video.

I'm interested in the game but I don't know about full price. May wait for a sale.

Anung

Un Rama
I got this yesterday but had some real life stuff to do. Looking forward to sitting down with this today :D

Autofokus

How well does the game perform on consoles specifically XB1? I noticed some screen tearing in a PS4 video.

I'm interested in the game but I don't know about full price. May wait for a sale.

Afaik, XB1 is 30fps locked, PS4 60fps (unlocked).

Dominator

When playing on PS4, the framerate is ALL over the place. Almost every time I walk through something I get a stutter, and even when just plainly walking around it's quite unstable.

kuppy

Exploring the beautiful concept art of Murdered: Soul Suspect
1401995714-murdered-soul-suspect-concept-art-1.jpg

1401995717-murdered-soul-suspect-concept-art-2.jpg

1401995718-murdered-soul-suspect-concept-art-3.jpg

1401995716-murdered-soul-suspect-concept-art-4.jpg

1401995721-murdered-soul-suspect-concept-art-5.jpg

1401995705-murdered-soul-suspect-concept-art-6.jpg

1401995721-murdered-soul-suspect-concept-art-7.jpg

Autofokus

When playing on PS4, the framerate is ALL over the place. Almost every time I walk through something I get a stutter, and even when just plainly walking around it's quite unstable.
Yeah, it jumps wildly between 30 and 60. In this case, they should have locked it down or at least give the option.

flyover

I cant believe how short this game is.

Weirdly, this is actually one of the main draws for me. After investing hundreds of hours into RPGs for my last few games, I want something I can finish in a couple of sittings over a weekend.

Sometimes, that's exactly the right length. Games like Portal 2 and Heavenly Sword came out at just the right time for me. And now this game has, too.

Was kind of hoping it'd be a budget title, though.

Dominator

Weirdly, this is actually one of the main draws for me. After investing hundreds of hours into RPGs for my last few games, I want something I can finish in a couple of sittings over a weekend.

Sometimes, that's exactly the right length. Games like Portal 2 and Heavenly Sword came out at just the right time for me. And now this game has, too.

Was kind of hoping it'd be a budget title, though.
Yeah its not incredibly long, but if you search for all collectables and side stuff, its probably a solid 10 hours. I'm not finished yet and I just hit about 8 hours.

Dominator

10414474_10152437649317410_1356488892031043591_n_zps6a82b448.jpg

So close... I beat the game so theres no way to go back. Maybe I'll do another play through to complete the 3 I didn't finish. Definitely need a guide though.

Nemesis_

So guys I am on the first investigation and paranoid to go forward in case I miss anything.

It's the one in Apartment 1A, about the girl who wants to know where her body is. The apartment has old people in it.

I complete the quest but it says I have 6/7 clues. Where is the 7th? I've searched the entire floor. Or is it discoverable on the later floors even after I've solved it?

Dominator

So guys I am on the first investigation and paranoid to go forward in case I miss anything.

It's the one in Apartment 1A, about the girl who wants to know where her body is. The apartment has old people in it.

I complete the quest but it says I have 6/7 clues. Where is the 7th? I've searched the entire floor. Or is it discoverable on the later floors even after I've solved it?
Any area that has an investigation part, should show the counter on the bottom. If you leave the area, that counter disappear so its usually a contained area. Just keep looking around. Clues are obscure sometimes.

Aspiring

Man was hoping this would come today but didn't. Looks so good, just a shame there is no penalty for wrong clues or something but still should be great hopefully the story is strong!

Nemesis_

Any area that has an investigation part, should show the counter on the bottom. If you leave the area, that counter disappear so its usually a contained area. Just keep looking around. Clues are obscure sometimes.

I swear I've looked everywhere.

I'll spoiler it but this is the FIRST investigation that you have to do that isn't Ronan's death.

These are the clues I've found:

Final Resting Place
The Old Man's Secret
The Old Woman's Secret
Newspaper Clipping
Gardening Tools
A Mysterious Murder

I just noticed when I find four clues, I put them together and pick the three correct clues. Before I do this, it says 4 of 5 clues found. Then I solve the investigation. Then in the pause menu (the one with the CLUES and SIDE CASES tabs) it all of a sudden says 6/7. Even after handing this quest in, it still remains at 6/7 with the above clues listed.

Am I missing one or has the game fucked up or what? I can't find anything :| The counter no longer exists anywhere besides the case file menu either.

ST2K

I swear I've looked everywhere.

I'll spoiler it but this is the FIRST investigation that you have to do that isn't Ronan's death.

These are the clues I've found:

Final Resting Place
The Old Man's Secret
The Old Woman's Secret
Newspaper Clipping
Gardening Tools
A Mysterious Murder

I just noticed when I find four clues, I put them together and pick the three correct clues. Before I do this, it says 4 of 5 clues found. Then I solve the investigation. Then in the pause menu (the one with the CLUES and SIDE CASES tabs) it all of a sudden says 6/7. Even after handing this quest in, it still remains at 6/7 with the above clues listed.

Am I missing one or has the game fucked up or what? I can't find anything :| The counter no longer exists anywhere besides the case file menu either.

You're missing
the handwritten note. It's on a stand.
I don't know if you can get it now that it's solved though.

Nemesis_

You're missing
the handwritten note. It's on a stand.
I don't know if you can get it now that it's solved though.

How the hell did I miss that? I even picked it up before my game crashed too! I must've just forgotten it later on.

But yeah, surprised at how simple this one was. Hoping they get a little bit more complex in the future. I assumed all evidence would be linked to the crime, but apparently not.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Can't believe they used FMV for every cutscene. Which is anything not gameplay related and what's worse is the graphics aren't on par with the PS4 in game graphics, interesting game though.

Zukuu

Banned
Can't believe they used FMV for every cutscene. Which is anything not gameplay related and what's worse is the graphics aren't on par with the PS4 in game graphics, interesting game though.

I didn't even notice lol. On max settings they look identical on PC.

Haunted

It's linear, some of the investigations don't feel like you're actually thinking about your answers but are just a series of "find the spot where you can press "X" Like modern-day pixel hunting. Since it's essentially just connecting hints together, there's little thinking required to reach the correct conclusion based on the hints you're given.

Useless collectibles hidden in every level that don't really make sense and are clearly just put in there to extend your playtime somewhat - and still, it's really short and small.

Graphically, it's a game that should've come out 6-7 years ago, it's firmly settled as a mid-tier last gen title.

The story is fairly engaging and even with some cliché elements and an expected twist, it keeps being a solid whodunnit throughout. The murder mystery and crime solving "genre" is so damn underused in gaming that fans of it (like myself) really take anything they can get at this point - and this definitely managed to scratch that itch.

Re-reading my comments, I do come across as a bit harsh, but despite standing by my criticism, I think it's worth checking out if you're a fan of crime fiction.

Haunted

There's also the blatant "references" (if you can even call them that) to other games SE has published in the form of PC monitors and poster without any effort at all to make them realistic easter eggs (you could at least not stick those in a police station). And that's just what I've noticed at this point.
Haha yeah, noticed that too.

Half the police offers in the station are playing Deus Ex: Human Revolution. :lol

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I didn't even notice lol. On max settings they look identical on PC.
Perhaps they are real-time on PC, PS4 definitely has compressed video that's is just below the PS4's in-game graphics.
Even when you ask a question it switches to video.

Dr Dogg

Perhaps they are real-time on PC, PS4 definitely has compressed video that's is just below the PS4's in-game graphics.
Even when you ask a question it switches to video.

Nope still prerendered. Telltale signs are not at the resolution I'm playing at, aliasing, compression artifacts but more over the fact GPU usage drops off to next to nothing. As you say though there seems to be a lot of them as well which is a teeny bit jarring for me.

Saying that, there are some nice little touches so far like light shafts shining through Ronan's gunshot holes.

Welp, that was a pretty crappy game all in all. It started off satisfactorily, but tedium and repetition reared its ugly head about halfway through and stuck around until the end. Not to mention that the world itself is so utterly lifeless, the core detective work requires very little thought with no penalty for getting it wrong, the act of avoiding/exorcising demons is a joyless one, and the final revelation is too limp to make any impact.

Killer spoiler -
When you're making a whodunnit, having the murderer turn out to be such a minor character like Abigail is too anti-climactic to have any real payoff. There were so few developed characters in the main cast that the only two actual suspects boiled down to Baxter and Rex, and both were too obvious to work, so the writer had to resort to pinning the murders on someone way off in the background to actually surprise the player.

And I've never seen so many collectables in a game. That's what the foundation of Murdered: Soul Suspect really is. It's not a mystery game where you investigate your own murder, it's a collectathon in the vein of Banjo & Kazooie, where you spend 80% of the time scouring the environment for one of the 10 different types of pointless shit to add to your stats page.

Good news is that I managed to sell the game on Amazon almost straight away, and made a whopping £4 in profit in the process!

The only reason why I wasn't interested in this game is because of his character design

I didn't want to play as him

So sorry guys

I'm one of the guys who ignored this.

BTA

Haha yeah, noticed that too.

Half the police offers in the station are playing Deus Ex: Human Revolution. :lol

See, if they actually were playing it, it wouldn't bother me- when I saw it on someone's screen for the first time I thought it was actually pretty funny. Then I realized the person using that computer still had the generic cop thoughts and were acting like they were working, and then I saw it blatantly on every other screen...

And if anyone cares about that collectibles map (like I still do, for some reason), they're actually making some effort to at least fix the markers, but haven't said when that'll happen.

Top Bottom