• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Muslim migrants from Libya throw Christians overboard on boat to Italy

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

I know some people are real shitheads, but please try to resist the urge to quote and reply to obvious derails and trolls over and over. :(

Jonnax

What is the plan once they get into one of those boats? Hope that they land on part of the coast where nobody is looking?

Is it really? That looks so unsophisticated, like they just got a boat and said "we're fleeing thataway!"

Do they just wind up on the shores of Italy and say "hey guys, can we join the party"?

They pay smugglers for passage. The smugglers basically don't care if they die and pack as many people as possible onto whatever boat they have. The Italians often have to rescue them at sea.

Riposte

Is someone with something like "ultimate" or "conclusive" in their name also going to share their views?

Kurdel

Banned
CNN article In op said:
The original group of 105 people left Libya on Tuesday in a rubber boat. Sometime during the trip north across the Mediterranean Sea, the alleged assailants -- Muslims from the Ivory Coast, Mali and Senegal -- threw the 12 overboard, police said.

Wow they really left Libya on a rubber boat, crazy

Brakke

Banned
lede on this story is weird I'm still stuck on " -- killing them -- " that should be right there in the sentence not set off all parenthetical-like

Violet_0

Banned
What is the plan once they get into one of those boats? Hope that they land on part of the coast where nobody is looking?

they get to stay (at least for a while) once they reach the mainland or one of the Italian islands. If they are political refugees, they get asylum

cm osi

i honestly don't know what the trafficants tells them before leaving but i'm pretty sure you can watch italian tv in lybia so i guess they know its "let's wait, they'll save us"

way more

I wonder who prosecutes them? I guess they will be sent back to be tried in their origin country. What a confusing international legal problem.

I do wonder what the procedure is for these people though. Try them in Italy or ship them back? If so how?

I cant speak for Italy but in Germany they are first sent to some shelter for political refugees while some special refugee office checks if they are really chased because of political reasons.
Often thats not the case, so they are sent back to their countries, but it can take up to four 2-3 years or more.

Is it really? That looks so unsophisticated, like they just got a boat and said "we're fleeing thataway!"

Do they just wind up on the shores of Italy and say "hey guys, can we join the party"?

Almost 10000 migrants have reached the shores of Italy since Monday, as of yesterday.

The immigrant reception centres are collapsing. It's a disaster, and it's not looking like it's slowing down.

It's going to get even worse during the summer.

At least they got caught right after arriving.

His last post was just as disgusting, so not surprising.

Edit: edited the actual quote to avoid any further derailing.

Skyzard

Banned
12 christians killed.
15 muslims arrested.
105 people originally on the boat.

The original group of 105 people left Libya on Tuesday in a rubber boat. Sometime during the trip north across the Mediterranean Sea, the alleged assailants -- Muslims from the Ivory Coast, Mali and Senegal -- threw the 12 overboard, police said.

Other people on the voyage told police that they themselves were spared "because they strongly opposed the drowning attempt and formed a human chain," Palermo police said.

Religious hatred was the motive according to Italian police.

Is that 90 christians (who strongly oppose drowning) vs 15 muslims?

Arials

Is that 90 christians (who strongly oppose drowning) vs 15 muslims?

Reads like a mixture of Christians and moderate Muslims with the majority being Muslims. Islam is the dominant religion in the countries mentioned (except for Ivory Coast which is more evenly split).

Skyzard

Banned
Reads like a mixture of Christians and moderate Muslims with the majority being Muslims. Islam is the dominant religion in the countries mentioned (except for Ivory Coast which is more evenly split).

Actually reads as if the remaining survivors - christians - had to form a shield to protect themselves from the muslims - who hate and kill christians (but not if they strongly oppose drowning).

The way the article is written is fucking awful for how little concrete information there actually is and is clearly trying to promote further religious hatred.

Kurdel

Banned
To be fair, group think and social psychology is always super fucked up, and I think religion is just the delineator in this us vs them situation.

If the world was only atheists, it would have been something like crunchy vs smooth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom