• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia S2 |OT| This is Going to Stain my Hero Record. No Manga Spoilers!!!

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
If there are no spoilers involved, can anyone remind me who the students that got in by recommendations are? I remember Todoroki and Yaoyorozu, but not the others. I guess they're class B?

The other one I know of was Juzo Honenuki from Class 1-B.

NEO0MJ

2 Per class.

Wonder who they might be. I've been rewatching the first season recently and it's funny noticing some stuff now, like who got the most rescue point in the entrance exam. Other than Deku and Uraraka, the only other person with a high rescue score was Kirishima, which actually makes a lot of sense considering his caring personality. The other two students who got a high rescue score were from Class B which were (not sure if these are spoilers since we already saw them but keeping it safe
plant hair lady and giant fists girl.

Nightbird

Hopefully this tread ends

It doesn't lol (not totally at least)

XeG8dY0.jpg

Finally caught up with the anime and damn am I enjoying it alot. Tournament arcs are always exciting but I particularly enjoyed the obstacle race where Deku improvised a flying explosion. Not only did it look amazing but it shows cleverness on the part of his character which I hope continues.

As for the upcoming fight scenes, I'm guessing Deku's first opponent is a dude who wipes memories away? Weird power/Quirk but kinda looking forward to beyond that particularly Bakugou vs Uraraka. Betting the reason why Bakugou is set so far away from Deku is that a Deku vs Bakugou fight will be the final battle of this third challenge. Kinda sad that Todoroki is Deku's 2nd opponent, was hoping he will be later on for him.

The anime continues to lose viewers even with a low threshold last week, it still couldnt rank in the top 10 like the first three episodes did. I guess kids want their kids animes back.

The anime continues to lose viewers even with a low threshold last week, it still couldnt rank in the top 10 like the first three episodes did. I guess kids want their kids animes back.

Is this true? That's so bizarre. MHA S2 has been fantastic thus far; the rest of the series airing this season don't seem that strong either.

SoulUnison

Banned

I don't get it.

I like the character designs for the most part, it's been entertaining so far, the animation has been comfortably above-average to fantastic, and the soundtrack is absolutely stellar.

It's shounen as fuck, so what's with the ratings?

How worried should we be

It seems MHA isn't a successful multimedia franchise (DVDs, ratings and videogames didn't do well) but its definitely a mainstay mangawise.

I would think further seasons are guaranteed but apparently Bones was already working on S2 when S1 aired. Expect a new timeslot, don't know how production will be handed.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.

Man wtf went wrong here? did they not promote the anime good enough, bad time slot?

it's hard to understand this since season 2 has been absolutely fantastic so far and from the next episode's preview it looks like it will just get better and better.

I'm curious how a long running series like Naruto or One Piece did at the very beginning, like were those numbers also that low? is this normal in the beginning? how did My Hero's season 1 do?

Tace

I think it could use more exposure. It's only a matter of time until Toonami starts airing it, right? I really hope the anime continues, it has been a fantastic adaptation so far. Would be such a shame if it doesn't get to cover the entire manga

Man wtf went wrong here? did they not promote the anime good enough, bad time slot?

it's hard to understand this since season 2 has been absolutely fantastic so far and from the next episode's preview it looks like it will just get better and better.

I'm curious how a long running series like Naruto or One Piece did at the very beginning, like were those numbers also that low? is this normal in the beginning? how did My Hero's season 1 do?

Ratings across the board were higher back in those days:

Sanze - 19.6
Chibimaruko - 14.4
Detective Conan - 9.9
Doraemon Special - 9.9
Pokemon DP - 8.1
Yes! Precure 5 - 7.7
One Piece - 7.7
Kekkaishi - 7.6
Naruto Shippuuden - 7.2
アニメメジャー/他 - 7.2

Bear in mind Naruto also had a spin off show that had decent ratings and its Cartoon Network run placed it as one of the most watched shows for young boys. OP continues to be in the top 10 to this day.

Ascheroth

I think S2 has a killer time-spot. Dunno what's the problem.

I feel like MHA is one of those series that's more popular in the West.
The manga is regularly in the top 3 of the Weekly Shonen Jump ToC and gets lots of color pages so I doubt it.
It looks like it's just the anime.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I don't think the success of a show like this is determined solely by TV ratings.

No offence dude but your "I don't think" doesn't concern me any less, if you really know your stuff and you could confirm it's not all about the TV ratings then i would be more relieved.

As of now i'm pretty concerned and hope the next episode brings it back on the top 10 list.

I just love this show so damn much. The voice acting is phenomenal, the animations are great, the music is freaking epic. I couldn't change to the manga, it's just not the same.

PLEASE JAPAN WATCH BOKU NO HERO ACADEMIA

No offence dude but your "I don't think" doesn't concern me any less, if you really know your stuff and you could confirm it's not all about the TV ratings then i would be more relieved.

As of now i'm pretty concerned and hope the next episode brings it back on the top 10 list.

I just love this show so damn much. The voice acting is phenomenal, the animations are great, the music is freaking epic. I couldn't change to the manga, it's just not the same.

Manga sales and Oversea popularity are surely major factors in MHA's case. It's been pretty clear that licencor like FUNimation are ready to pay lots and lots of money for a show like MHA. They use the series for lots of their promo. The one going on right now(or was going on?) is the BE A HERO event. France(one of the biggest anime consumer in the wrold after Japan) has agenda's, calendars and lots of other MHA stuff. And yes if Manga sales show growths, more anime is assured.

Puruzi

Banned

It's not about ratings.

jett

D-Member
I don't understand why you people concern yourselves with ratings. Have you even seen what the top 5 consists of? It's counter to anything that is popular in this forum. I doubt MHA dropping out of that top 10 matters much.

icedragon08

Neo Member
I don't understand why you people concern yourselves with ratings. Have you even seen what the top 5 consists of? It's counter to anything that is popular in this forum. I doubt MHA dropping out of that top 10 matters much.

Yes, I don't understand this discussion. Its not like other successful anime of this season show up in the ranking.
What matters for BnHA are sales, merc and how much the manga sales get boosted by the anime.

People on this forum don't pay the anime publishers or anime staff. Manga sales usually go to a different publisher. TV ratings are important, however if other merch is selling well due to the anime than it can be overlooked.

jett

D-Member
People on this forum don't pay the anime publishers or anime staff. Manga sales usually go to a different publisher. TV ratings are important, however if other merch is selling well due to the anime than it can be overlooked.

There are a gazillion anime shows out there. Not being in the top 10 means dick.

People need to chill. Remember that DVD and Blu-Ray sales are also important.

You never see Gintama on the top 10, yet guess what? Almost the whole series has been adapted, along with several OVAs. I don't think the manga's sales are that crazy either.

It's all thanks to the DVD/Blu-Ray sales. I don't think MHA Season 1 had bad sales at all, so as long as season 2 has good sales, I'm sure it'll be fine.

I don't expect it to return to that golden timeslot, though...

cntr

Banned
Anime adaptations are judged by how much they increase interest in the manga and how much the merchandise and disc releases sell. Ratings don't really matter.

The manga is ridiculously popular in Japan, so the worst thing that could happen is that they deem BONES' adaptation a failure and try again a few years later with another studio. But it'll get an anime either way, and the manga's not ending anytime soon.

Manga sales and Oversea popularity are surely major factors in MHA's case.
This series might be different, but probably not. Japanese companies generally don't care how popular a series is in the West. like a recent example, Keijo's one of Crunchyroll/Funimation's most popular series in the US, but it flopped so badly in Japan that the manga was cancelled.

There's rare exceptions like FLCL and The Big O, but that's only because they're backed by companies like Adult Swim.

This episode......holy shit how could they make everything look so COOL!? I MEAN DAMN!
-----------------------
My Hero Academia 20

OH SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!!! THIS WAS SO GOOOOOOOOOOD!
That Shinso fight, I never expected so much highlight animation from it...YOOOO! AND man do I love the way they animate OfA...it's crazy good. Kind of sad for Shinso though, but I really liked the *You can be a hero* moment too at the end. It was super emotional.

And also TODOROKI!!!! I mean damn...DAMN! This was aboslutely insane!

NEO0MJ

Speaking of Todoroki, the way his dad talked about his other children was freaky. Like, he kept having offspring until he got one that combined their quirks in just the right way.

Also, poor Shinso. Mind control/telepathy powers are some of the more annoying powers to deal with. By their very nature they're some of the most invasive and agency robbing around, and are super easy to misuse.
Do his powers work regardless of if he wants them to? It seemed from his conversation with Deku after the match that people fall under his spell automatically.

Top Bottom