• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia (Shonen Jump) move over pirates, ninjas, reapers, its Hero time

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I love this sketch.

LLSXm4y.png

cntr

Banned
iirc, they're getting hype at appearing in the next episode

That Uraraka vs. Noumu image is great because I can't wait for it to actually happen in the manga

Trojita

I think we'll be waiting till tomorrow for anything. Been spoiled with the recent Wednesday releases.

Cerium

Oh my. I'm looking at the spoiler pics and it seems Horikoshi managed to create a rival for Todoroki that can make even him feel small. Inasa is intimidating as fuck. And the Endeavor speculation is looking pretty good now, so it's not like we can even blame Inasa for being pissed. Great character, thoughtfully designed.

Philippo

Oh my. I'm looking at the spoiler pics and it seems Horikoshi managed to create a rival for Todoroki that can make even him feel small. Inasa is intimidating as fuck. And the Endeavor speculation is looking pretty good now, so it's not like we can even blame Inasa for being pissed. Great character, thoughtfully designed.

I haven't even seen these spoiler pics, but it's not hard to imagine what happened, poor guy is probably some Endeavor "failed" project.
Dude's running for worst father in manga ever.

cntr

Banned
Chapter 109

'Hey, hey. You guys wanna hear something good?'
'What's the rating?'
'R-Rated!'
'Lets hear it then.'

What a weird occupation. Ochako progressing some plot, Cousin Itt joining the party, and Inasa/Todoroki rivalry hype. Appreciate the focus on "being heroic"!

Relaxed chapter compared to last week, but greato.

Trojita

Holy shit, I did not expect them to have the other students imply that Deku was fugging slime girl during the first part of the exam.

Horikoshi, you fucking mad man.

Ooooooh this is going to make it so difficult to pick best girl for October now.

Philippo

This is too good, i went from laughing (the deku/slimegirl scoop), to hyped (beginning of the test, shiketsu confrontation), to empathic towards Ochako.

Based Horikoshi and all of that.

Good chapter that had a lot of development for a bunch of characters. I'm liking a lot of the buildups and interactions and gotddam I didn't realize that Wind Kid was that huge.

I am starting to want a little more than "Ochako gets two panels of blankface when it comes to Deku interacting with other girls" though in this one we got a whopping four panels and "I'm a kid so I don't emotion good" and then actual development, so that's alright. But honestly her "love" is maybe the least interesting ongoing storyline to me.

Lotta good funny moments including the cartoon fight cloud with Deku, Bweeehhhh and Mineta in the background.

Lunar15

This kind of reflects more poorly on UA than it does their actual abilities? Sounds like they were never taught what to do in this kind of situation.

I feel like, in terms of things you could actually easily teach kids at a school for superheroes, how to act as a first-responder and provide aid in an emergency would be pretty simple and well documented.

If I ever had one problem with this manga, it's that the exams and events the kids are required to participate in never seem to reflect the lessons we've actually seen. They always seem outrageously under-prepared for the "standard protocol" parts of tests, and have to make up for it through sheer skill and willpower.

cntr

Banned
I mean, they keep getting interrupted by asshole villains. They don't reflect the lessons we've seen because the relevant lessons were all interrupted.

Ascheroth

Wasn't the USJ basically supposed to be their rescue training? Look at what happened to that. I think due to the constant villain interruptions their curriculum shifted more towards combat.
Aizawas short remark this chapter makes it pretty clear that he knew that this would happen, which implies that they simply didn't have the time to thoroughly prepare them for this part of the hero duty.

Trojita

At least hopefully the villains aren't fucking with this exam too.

U.A. pretty much has savagery levels of battling people with powers in life and death situations, but saving people they are novice tier.

Ascheroth

The Forest Lodge was meant to train rescue too, wasn't it?

Nah, it was combat training.
But they mentioned that it was combat training because of the repeated encounters with villains, and the other classes went somewhere else, so there's a good chance it would have been another type of hero training originally.

Spinx

I hope the villains drop in on this thing too. All the other schools need to see what kind of shit the U.E first years have to go through.

"We're Shiketsu, we're the best." Shut the hell up ! Here's All for One, go get him tough guys.

I'd much rather see heroes interfering and playing villains. Get like Kamui or Miss Midnight to make it hard for them to rescue people.

I'd kill for another "villain" All-Might like in the Deku/Bakugou teamup

cntr

Banned
oh yeah btw

I really like how the rescue test was more complicated than we expected last week, it's an accurate description of real life first-aid and rescue
I'd much rather see heroes interfering and playing villains. Get like Kamui or Miss Midnight to make it hard for them to rescue people.

I'd kill for another "villain" All-Might like in the Deku/Bakugou teamup
That's exactly what they teased at the end, isn't it?

Cerium

At least hopefully the villains aren't fucking with this exam too.

U.A. pretty much has savagery levels of battling people with powers in life and death situations, but saving people they are novice tier.
The last panel seems to imply they're bringing in mock villains to try to mess with the rescues.

I wonder how long Ochako and Midoriya are going to be dancing around each other. Get it over with! There's no harm in having them hooked up for most of the manga.

cntr

Banned
Ochako just accepted she loves Deku, and then decided to deal with it later

So maybe expect something to happen at the end of the arc??

Ochako keeps being best girl, as always. I wonder what horikoshi will do with her, and that plot thread.

And how todoroki will continue to deal with his family ties, when there are things he can't really change...

Cerium

What if there's a twist and right before Ochako decides to confess, the slime girl asks Midoriya out?

RomCom in my Hero Shonen.

cntr

Banned
The way Ochako/Deku's being written reminds me a lot of romance manga, actually. But not shounen romcoms, the stories where they get together very early on. Deku/Ochako's relationship arc is structured in the same way.

Lunar15

Pacing of this series is phenomenal, by the way. It's said over and over again, but I can't stress enough how every chapter seems to be "just enough" in terms of content.

Top Bottom