• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia (Shonen Jump) move over pirates, ninjas, reapers, its Hero time

TheFlow

Banned
How was Baku not knocked out! that finishing move was awesome, and I am glad he is not severely hurt.

Kinda cool Baku one because I don't need a super depressed Baku running around.

Not a fan of this chapter.

He took a fist full of OfA to the face and somehow within that time grabbed him and threw him with an explosion.

Na son.

You best not be letting character popularity polls change your story Horikoshi. I don't want you turning into Toriyama.
Bakugou said he wouldn't lose to Deku again.
He's just keeping that promise up.

cntr

Banned
Like real talk, I gotta clear this up. People keep on saying that One for All will completely outclass the rest, but that ain't gonna happen. You know how Horikoshi says "quirks are trainable, like any organ of your body"? Read between the lines, and what he's actually saying is "with training, quirks are limitlessly powerful".

And we're working on shounen mechanics, people are going to tank injuries and perform feats that would be impossible in real life. One for All doesn't give you infinite durability, the implication is that Deku's body can naturally adapt on its own. Bakugou, and every character in the series, could literally train themselves into reacting fast enough.

TheFlow

Banned
Like real talk, I gotta clear this up. People keep on saying that One for All will completely outclass the rest, but that ain't gonna happen. You know how Horikoshi says "quirks are trainable, like any organ of your body"? Read between the lines, and what he's actually saying is "with training, quirks are limitlessly powerful".

And we're working on shounen mechanics, people are going to tank injuries and perform feats that would be impossible in real life. One for All doesn't give you infinite durability, the implication is that Deku's body can naturally adapt on its own. Bakugou, and every character in the series, could literally train themselves into reacting fast enough.

he got punched dead on in the face. lot of bs went down to make baku win.

cntr

Banned
It ain't bullshit, you guys are just wrong about One for All.

Also holy shit, is All Might holding the Dragonslayer? I guess we know All for One really did nothing wrong

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

Either OfA is powerful or it isn't. If a 5-8% fist to the fucking face doesn't hurt someone, how the fuck is Deku supposed to fight in the future?

And quirks definitely have limits just like the human body.

TheFlow

Banned
It ain't bullshit, you guys are just wrong about One for All.

Also holy shit, is All Might holding the Dragonslayer? I guess we know All for One really did nothing wrong

nah. quirks can be trained to more powerful just like the human body can be trained to lift or run faster. you got limits as a human being, and quirks still got limits based on the power. that is why inventions are made to assist quirks.

Baku was getting hit with 5-8 percent power and baku was eating that shit for breakfast. which got my scratching my head.

cntr

Banned
It ain't just someone, it's motherfuckin' Bakugou. And his face got swollen up from that hit anyway.

Quirks have limits, sure, but it'd be silly if that limit wasn't "insane".

TheFlow

Banned
It ain't just someone, it's motherfuckin' Bakugou. And his face got swollen up from that hit anyway.

Quirks probably have limits, sure, but it'd be silly if that limit wasn't "insane".

there is no probably lol. we have already seen limitations.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
> Be treated like shit by cocky dumbass who was gifted a super strong quirk
> Get bullied by him most of your life
> Still try to treat him nice
> Gain a quirk
> Bully gains inferiority complex, treats everyone like shit
> Cocky attitude gets him in trouble
> Save his ass because you are so nice
> Wreck your arms in the process
> Bully still treats you like a piece of shit despite saving his life
> Picks a fight with you because of his inferiority complex
> Instead of wrecking his ass you have to lmaolose because plot armor makes him take a punch to the face

cntr

Banned
And that isn't plot armor. It's an established part of the series. If you guys don't like Bakugou winning, yeah, that's one thing, but you don't need to pretend it's an asspull. Just say you don't like him.

Like, heck man, Toga/Camie literally had a ninja run ability. That has nothing to do with her quirk. If that isn't confirmation that "you can train yourself into getting superhuman powers totally unrelated to your quirk", I dunno what is.

TheFlow

Banned
> Be treated like shit by cocky dumbass who was gifted a super strong quirk
> Get bullied by him most of your life
> Still try to treat him nice
> Gain a quirk
> Bully gains inferiority complex, treats everyone like shit
> Cocky attitude gets him in trouble
> Save his ass because you are so nice
> Wreck your arms in the process
> Bully still treats you like a piece of shit despite saving his life
> Picks a fight with you because of his inferiority complex
> Instead of wrecking his ass you have to lmaolose because plot armor makes him take a punch to the face

lol pretty much. there is no saving grace to baku. deku should of just knocked his ass out with the 8 percent and called it a day. Baku still calling him shit after beating him was just icing on the cake.

I know Japan loved that

Yeah, but what kind of limits are we talking about? Everybody in the class has limits, but just like Deku, those limits can be trained away.
well I would hope since they are still teens. they aren't done growing.

Bakugou has become a very intricate character.

Not intricate or good enough to be number one in the popularity poll because I'm not a dumb Japanese teenager, but still, he has a surprising amount of depth and his development is quite good. He's never going to turn a leaf and be a "good guy" in the sense that that's not really how life works a lot of the time. Most of the time shitty kids grow up to be shitty adults because their personality is shit. People can change and turn around but at a fundamental level most people stay the same, they just shift what their traits are directed towards or how they're expressed.

So Bakugou feeling all these things, hating Deku and his own weakness and his relationship with All-Might, then slapping away All-Might's (his WHOLE REASON FOR WANTING TO BE A HERO) hand from comforting him and dropping to the ground and covering his face so it can't be seen is completely in line with his character and who he is. He can still learn how to be a real hero from Deku but he's not suddenly gonna be besties and pal around with him. Hell, he probably never will. He'll just direct his assholishness towards something else or reign it in a bit. And that's fine. As a main character in this manga he doesn't have to be likable or have some epiphany that makes him apologize and a nice guy. He just has to...grow up.

He needed the win here, it helped the overall point of the whole chapter.

Edit: Ashido getting robbed in every single popularity poll posted in here. I want names of all the people in Japan who didn't vote for her and I'll personally fight every one of them in January when I'm there.

Consider the posters in here who didn't vote for her on notice.

TheFlow

Banned

Not intricate or good enough to be number one in the popularity poll because I'm not a dumb Japanese teenager, but still, he has a surprising amount of depth and his development is quite good. He's never going to turn a leaf and be a "good guy" in the sense that that's not really how life works a lot of the time. Most of the time shitty kids grow up to be shitty adults because their personality is shit. People can change and turn around but at a fundamental level most people stay the same, they just shift what their traits are directed towards or how they're expressed.

So Bakugou feeling all these things, hating Deku and his own weakness and his relationship with All-Might, then slapping away All-Might's (his WHOLE REASON FOR WANTING TO BE A HERO) hand from comforting him and dropping to the ground and covering his face so it can't be seen is completely in line with his character and who he is. He can still learn how to be a real hero from Deku but he's not suddenly gonna be besties and pal around with him. Hell, he probably never will. He'll just direct his assholishness towards something else or reign it in a bit. And that's fine. As a main character in this manga he doesn't have to be likable or have some epiphany that makes him apologize and a nice guy. He just has to...grow up.

can you imagine the emo baku chapters if he lost. dear lord no.

cntr

Banned
Also he look a 5% punch to the face, just like Stain. And Stain was able to brush that off, so yeah that's not an asspull.

cntr

Banned
Or maybe 5% and 8% isn't that good. Maybe it'd be satisfying to have Bakugou be defeated instantly, but that'd be shortsighted shit storytelling.

e:
stain is on whole nother level. don't compare them
Yeah but I have no idea where you guys got the idea that it's enough to instantly defeat Bakugou. Literally nothing in the story implies it's gonna be that strong.

It's not like Stain trained his face to be super good at taking punches. Stain's whole vitality and resistance came from his beliefs and conviction.

In much the same way in this fight, Bakugou was 1000% balls to the wall all about winning it to prove something. He didn't tank a hit because his face is unnaturally hard, he tanked it because of sheer willpower.

It's not like Stain's face or neck is any tougher than Bakugou's. They both just fight through a lot of painful shit.

Glad Bakugou won, but I still really want him to be brought down a peg, he needs to learn that Deku isn't just a muse for him to work out his personal issues on.
But I'm sure he'll grow past that and apologize one day.

Edit: Ashido getting robbed in every single popularity poll posted in here. I want names of all the people in Japan who didn't vote for her and I'll personally fight every one of them in January when I'm there.

Consider the posters in here who didn't vote for her on notice.
Yah because only dumb people love Bakugou.
Glad he made it to number one, well deserved.

Baku winning the poll probably had a lot to do with "oh thank god we're not doing the Sasuke thing" relief, so y'all can dial the salt down.

Also, is All Might wielding the Buster Sword there? lmao

Anyway, I called this a while back. Bakugou losing the fight would've destroyed him. Dude would've gone villain, or at least hitched his star to Endeavor. This was the best outcome. And while it's definitely a swerve from what we expected at the end of the last chapter (which seemed to be telegraphing a serious injury for Bakugou), it's not an asspull, either; Deku at less than 10% power and with comparatively little training or experience was nearly enough to overwhelm Bakugou, despite (again, it's worth remembering) the latter being one of the most skilled and powerful fighters in the class. Yeah, maybe he shouldn't have been able to tank the hit realistically, but it's a cape comic. Made of Iron is a dirt standard secondary power, even for people who wouldn't normally be powered at all. You guys can't be expecting people Deku hits to just straight up fucking dissolve, that's not gonna play.

Round it out with a pretty fantastic resolution from All Might (that I assume is only going to be better written in the official release) and you're home. Great chapter.

TheFlow

Banned
Baku winning the poll probably had a lot to do with "oh thank god we're not doing the Sasuke thing" relief, so y'all can dial the salt down.

Also, is All Might wielding the Buster Sword there? lmao

Anyway, I called this a while back. Bakugou losing the fight would've destroyed him. Dude would've gone villain, or at least hitched his star to Endeavor. This was the best outcome. And while it's definitely a swerve from what we expected at the end of the last chapter (which seemed to be telegraphing a serious injury for Bakugou), it's not an asspull, either; Deku at less than 10% power and with comparatively little training or experience was nearly enough to overwhelm Bakugou, despite (again, it's worth remembering) the latter being one of the most skilled and powerful fighters in the class. Yeah, maybe he shouldn't have been able to tank the hit realistically, but it's a cape comic. Made of Iron is a dirt standard secondary power, even for people who wouldn't normally be powered at all.

Round it out with a pretty fantastic resolution from All Might (that I assume is only going to be better written in the official release) and you're home. Great chapter.
that is why I a cool with him winning or it being a tie. him losing would of been annoying to read about. Baku still complaining about that win though had me facepalming.

Deku is going to be the #1 hero so I am fine with him struggling in his teen years.

I am kinda ok with Baku taking that blow because

1.manga
2.Deku took a powerful hit straight down to the ground and looked more ok than baku.
3.they were in the air so he didn't have much weight behind his attack. the power of a punch comes from you putting your weight and using your hips.

4. yea I think him not turning into Sasuke, saying fuck the villains, and ect boosted him up. plus he is a asshole. assholes tend to finish first .

He is! Proof that All for One did nothing wrong.

And Pikachu has that ketchup bottle from the anime.

Hah, great catch. I like how the MHA polls take a second to address the "wtf" vote.

Also, GSO Mineta.

G.

S.

O.

that is why I a cool with him winning or it being a tie. him losing would of been annoying to read about. Baku still complaining about that win though had me facepalming.

Deku is going to be the #1 hero so I am fine with him struggling in his teen years.

I am kinda ok with Baku taking that blow because

1.manga
2.Deku took a powerful hit straight down to the ground and looked more ok than baku.
3.they were in the air so he didn't have much weight behind his attack. the power of a punch comes from you putting your weight and using your hips.

4. yea I think him not turning into Sasuke, saying fuck the villains, and ect boosted him up. plus he is a asshole. assholes tend to finish first .

It'd be interesting if they address that. Deku's style is going to involve more real-world technique than, say, Todoroki or Bakugou's, just by virtue of being entirely physical in nature (and not involving extra limbs). Maybe they need to stick him in a depowering ring with Muhammad Ali, Superman Style.

cntr

Banned
It'd be interesting if they address that. Deku's style is going to involve more real-world technique than, say, Todoroki or Bakugou's, just by virtue of being entirely physical in nature (and not involving extra limbs). Maybe they need to stick him in a depowering ring with Muhammad Ali, Superman Style.
Horikoshi's mentioned watching K1, the Japanese shoot boxing tournament, so yeah it has to be based on real life kickboxing otherwise Horikoshi wouldn't bother. Same goes for Ochako, Satou, and Ojiro. (judo, boxing/wrestling, karate)

heck, Bakugou just used a real life judo move there, just with more explosions

Oh yeah, no chapter next week. Christmas break.

booooo

I mean he is a asshole who kinda learns from his mistakes.

Sorta. Bakugou is kind of an interesting subversion of the classic Shonen Rival by virtue of having some of his own psychology, instead of existing mostly as a foil for the protagonist. When he gets rekt, it doesn't just trigger introspection, it gives him new insecurities.

TheFlow

Banned
I wish we got more training chapters. That's my fetish.

or least give me a panel with Deku learning martial arts or being in the gym.

Poodle: I hope Shouto Todoroki becomes his true rival. love that dude <3

So bullies are cool in Japan. Cool.

He's kind of cruising for the "he's an asshole, but he's our asshole" slot right now, tbh. Dude hasn't been a straightforward bully for a while.

hey if Mineta's angry over the poll

is he the Grapes of Wrath

The Grapes of Salt, at the very least.

I wish we got more training chapters. That's my fetish.

or least give me a panel with Deku learning martial arts or being in the gym.

Poodle: I hope Shouto Todoroki becomes his true rival. love that dude <3

Hell yeah, let's get all History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi up in this biatch.

Shouto's a much cleaner rival fo sho.

I think it makes sense for Deku to lose this fight, its been like this since day 1 Deku has the hero rescue spirit and Baku has the hero fighting drive. Deku's fighting has improved a lot more then Baku's rescue abilities, but Deku still isn't on Baku's level in a pure one on one fight. All Might made it clear they both still have a lot of learning and growing to do but they can each learn from the others strenght to be two of the best ever. This fight should have a pretty significant impact on their relationship going forward as it should.

cntr

Banned
I want Deku and Ochako to figure out that One for All + Zero Gravity is the best quirk combination in the entire class

like just have Ochako grab onto Deku, zero gravity him, and he can use One for All to jump the city

Top Bottom