• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia (Shonen Jump) move over pirates, ninjas, reapers, its Hero time

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
In other news

W9LASud.jpg

Trojita

Rereading it, the one redeamable part of this chapter, which will hopefully be better expanded on when the Viz translation comes out, is the last three pages

ZlgRupE.png

cntr

Banned
6 chapters is nothing, yo. You can spend years without seeing main characters in other manga. (Looking at you, One Piece and Jojolion.)

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Rereading it, the one redeamable part of this chapter, which will hopefully be better expanded on when the Viz translation comes out, is the last three pages

Legit, i think Bakugou needs to find his own teacher. Some guy who likes the cut of his explodey jib and devotes some actual time to training him or something. I think that would help a lot of his insecurities. Hopefully someone not Endevour.
Pleaaaaaaase not Endevour

ZlgRupE.png

I like how this is like Bakugous way of encouraging Deku like "my idols helping you dont be losing to me now"

Trojita

That was a good moment.

I like how this is like Bakugous way of encouraging Deku like "my idols helping you dont be losing to me now"

It was also cool to have All Might see and say that Baku has always been afraid of Deku's spirit. I wonder if that will be translated as "courage" in the Viz translation.

Also Baku still thinks he himself is weak.

It will be nice to see Viz's translation to see if it's different or there is more depth.

They are either setting it up for Deku and Baku to be teammates or real rivals. We'll have to see if Bakugou extend his hand for either.

Legit, i think Bakugou needs to find his own teacher. Some guy who likes the cut of his explodey jib and devotes some actual time to training him or something. I think that would help a lot of his insecurities. Hopefully someone not Endevour.
Pleaaaaaaase not Endevour

I actually think Gran Torino would have been a good teacher for him. I'm not sure he needs someone on his level of personality or likes the cut of his explodey gib. He just needs someone that can channel that energy.

cntr

Banned
It will be nice to see Viz's translation to see if it's different or there is more depth.
Yeah, the Viz version is going to be better. The fan translations always miss a lot. Remember the whole thing with Venom Chainsaw? Traitor Hagakure? e: And the One Piece translation this week had Nami call Luffy a "fucking twat", lol

They are either setting it up for Deku and Baku to be teammates or real rivals. We'll have to see if Bakugou extend his hand for either.
Bakugou's going to be a rival and they'll occasionally fight together. Not for a while though, Bakugou doesn't have his provisional license.

I actually think Gran Torino would have been a good teacher for him. I'm not sure he needs someone on his level of personality or likes the cut of his explodey gib. He just needs someone that can channel that energy.
I'm expecting Aizawa to start dealing with Bakugou and Todoroki. They're getting personal training from him, and he can't just ignore it when their issues nearly screwed things up twice, right?

Trojita

All it is was an anecdotal observation. I mean, that's all that statement could have been anyways.

Trojita

Not when you spout a conspiracy theory about Bakugou winning because he got first in the poll.

Conspiracy? lol wut. The character polls are known to get a fraction of the readers to participate, with certain subsets of very enthusiastic fans that participate. One of these subsets are known as Fujoshi in Japan. It's why King won the Seven Deadly Sins popularity poll and got 3 times the amount of votes as the 2nd place Ban. Fujoshi LOVE King.

cntr

Banned
If we're going for anecdotal evidence, I know plenty of people who think Bakugou's great who aren't "fujoshi". Me included.

...also writing off people as "fujoshi" is pretty silly. DTL isn't everybody.

Grexeno

Conspiracy? lol wut. The character polls are known to get a fraction of the readers to participate, with certain subsets of very enthusiastic fans that participate. One of these subsets are known as Fujoshi in Japan. It's why King won the Seven Deadly Sins popularity poll and got 3 times the amount of votes as the 2nd place Ban. Fujoshi LOVE King.
The conspiracy you posted is that Bakugou only won because he won the poll.

Trojita

The conspiracy you posted is that Bakugou only won because he won the poll.

I just know Shounen Jump editors and management too well.

I think Horikoshi's better than that. At least I hope so. That was just me letting off steam.

cntr

Banned
It's a dumb conspiracy since this chapter would've been written and submitted a few weeks before the poll results were tabulated.

Veelk

Banned
Cntr, your not accounting for the shonen illuminati using their pieces of eden to time travel back so Horikoshi can write the popular winner.

Trojita

It's a dumb conspiracy since this chapter would've been written and submitted a few weeks before the poll results were tabulated.

True, I even thought of that when I posted it lol.

That's an interesting point though, anyone know what the actual deadlines are for mangaka in a weekly publication? I know their deadlines are always terrible, but how ahead of time are they submitted? Are they submitted in more than just 1 chapter format? I thought unlike TV (except for South Park) that managaka are on a much tighter schedule. We know they obviously have to have them in before the week before a chapter due to needing to print the Korean and Japanese publications, and because that's when the leaks come out. The submissions need to be in on time for editorial to look over everything and then combine all of them together with any supplementary material that groups like Shounen Jump include.

cntr

Banned
They don't need to do anything so complicated, they can just cast Kubo's Infinite Bankai on the moon and make us believe the chapter was always about the winner.

It's a well known fact that this was the real reason Bleach was allowed to run for so long.

True, I even thought of that when I posted it lol.

That's an interesting point though, anyone know what the actual deadlines are for mangaka in a weekly publication? I know their deadlines are always terrible, but how ahead of time are they submitted? Are they submitted in more than just 1 chapter format? I thought unlike TV (except for South Park) that managaka are on a much tighter schedule. We know they obviously have to have them in before the week before a chapter due to needing to print the Korean and Japanese publications, and because that's when the leaks come out. The submissions need to be in on time for editorial to look over everything and then combine all of them together with any supplementary material that groups like Shounen Jump include.
From what I know, Jump typically asks you to submit a chapter three weeks ahead, so there's a three week backlog of chapters. I assume Horikoshi's taking a break this/next week, but if he wasn't, he'd be working on Chapter 203 and 204.

King is the best part of 7taizai, his chapters are always even better written than the others.

SalvaPot

Yeah, I would REALLY like Baku to win this one, mostly because I feel he is still ahead of Deku (Last time Deku won because of the game rules) and also because it will make for interesting writing, depending on the context of the victory.

Yeah, Bakugou is surprisingly calm for someone who just picked a fight. He is challenging Deku not for spite, but for peace of mind.

His whole world view is changing. Been "Awesome" is not enough, he doesn't always win, and meanwhile Deku is succeeding. He challenges Deku because he feels that will make him understand what he needs to be closer to his ideal of All Might.

Tooting my own horn and saying I called it. Baku winning was not Horikoshi rewarding his assholishness, it was sticking to the natural progression of the growth of both Deku and Bakugou as rival. Its still a bit early for Deku to win, and Bakugou winning, as you can see, is not something that proves anything yet. That is why All Might speech is so damn good, because it gives perspective to both of them. Even if Bakugou "rejects" it, chances are he will understand when the time is right.

Also, I get the whole "bullies have to get punished" angle, but I am like Deku in that I don't let the pass allow me to get grudges. I was heavily bullied in Middle School and now that I am a grown-ass man I have had chances to meet with the people that used to bully me and talk with them and when they apologized I accepted that apology, but not without letting them now how much of a piece of shit they were and how it affected me at the time, even if now I am doing fine. They felt terrible but I hope they realize the past is the past and I don't hold a grudge anymore.Holding into a grudge just makes you a worst person a think, its just not worth it.

RainForce

Banned
Also, I get the whole "bullies have to get punished" angle, but I am like Deku in that I don't let the pass allow me to get grudges. I was heavily bullied in Middle School and now that I am a grown-ass man I have had chances to meet with the people that used to bully me and talk with them and when they apologized I accepted that apology, but not without letting them now how much of a piece of shit they were and how it affected me at the time, even if now I am doing fine. They felt terrible but I hope they realize the past is the past and I don't hold a grudge anymore.Holding into a grudge just makes you a worst person a think, its just not worth it.

I appreciate you mentioning this, but you sound like a stable person. It isn't as easy to let go when you have severe depression and was nearly bullied to the point of suicide several times. And since this is Japan, where that's a regular occurrence, AND marketed to the age group that would actually be susceptible to it, it just ends up not being a plot point I can support when the character isn't portrayed as the despicable piece of shit he is.

But yes, Bakugou apologizing would do wonders.

The popularity poll results literally makes no sense from reader engagement I've seen here in Japan.

Aizawa at 4 and All Might at 6? I like Aizawa, but what.

Jirou at 7, Ochako at 10 and Tsuyu at 9.

The frog girl that has a ridiculous fan following got only 309 votes.

The fuck happened here? Fujo votes and spoil votes?

Bakugou #1? Plz no. I don't need a Sasuke-like takeover of My Hero Academia.

Tsuyu and Ochako ranks are a crime.

SalvaPot

I appreciate you mentioning this, but you sound like a stable person. It isn't as easy to let go when you have severe depression and was nearly bullied to the point of suicide several times. And since this is Japan, where that's a regular occurrence, AND marketed to the age group that would actually be susceptible to it, it just ends up not being a plot point I can support when the character isn't portrayed as the despicable piece of shit he is.

But yes, Bakugou apologizing would do wonders.

I guess I am mostly stable, but I get fits of depression every now and then. I was not able to go to school for almost 2 weeks because I was feeling very inadequate. Kind of failed one of my classes because of it, lol. I was also suicidal when the bullying was at its highest point, I can tell you about the time I was made to stand in the middle of a circle while everyone around me threw peanuts with sauce at me. It sucks and it was terrible at the time, and talking about it still stings a little, but I just don't let it bring me down, its been more than ten years, I am what I am, maybe even because of it. It teached me compassion and to rely on myself, and that anyone can be horrible if they are caught up in the moment. But that it doesn't define them as a person. Maybe I am too optimistic, but I like to think the best in people, even when they have done horrible things.

I don't know man, I just don't like to entirely blame others. Like Deku, I was bullied because I kept trying to stand my ground and don't give up on my dreams even when I had people putting me down. Maybe that is why this manga is so personal to me.

Story-wise, Deku is believable to me because I've been there. Bakugou is believable to me because I have seen it. I have seen the horrible kids become great guys because they realized their way of life was wrong. Thinking about it, I think they now feel far worse of what they did that I do. They have to live with the weight in their hearts that they made my life a living hell. I don't have to live with that, because I was in the right the entire time.

Bakugou's punishment is not an asskicking or karma. His punishment its Deku succeding. Deku is the embodiment of what proves he was wrong all along. Is the proof that his life has been a delusion he let himself buy. And its not too late for him, even if he has not realized it entirely yet, but he can get there. He can become a better person and atone for what he did. If the end game of the manga is what I believe, Bakugou will realize he doesn't deserve Deku´s kindness and he will have to live with that. Believe it or not, that is far heavier than getting his face punched.

Deku and All Might destroyed his way of life.

The only good creator's pet in shounen that gets a lot of focus that also won popularity contests is Kumagawa.

Kumagawa was the only reason to read Medaka Box, he was that good.

cntr

Banned
pls guys, Bakugou isn't going to take over the series because of a poll.

Like...think about it. Tsuyu got fourth place and second place in the first Japan and US polls. But Tsuyu still became a background character for the last several arcs. The most she got out of it was that extra chapter about her in middle school. If Horikoshi's editor cared that much about polls, would he let that happen?

Even if Horikoshi wasn't a planner, this chapter would've taken weeks of discussion and planning ahead, and it's consistent with Deku and Bakugou's arcs. If Horikoshi's editor really was the type to make sudden changes, wouldn't we have noticed it before? But I've never gotten that impression from the series, so it didn't happen.

And at the risk of giving OniBarubary another aneurysm by talking about Naruto again, the real reason Sasuke became so prominent in Naruto was because Kishimoto "liked drawing Sasuke". Yeah.

RainForce

Banned
I guess I am mostly stable, but I get fits of depression every now and then. I was not able to go to school for almost 2 weeks because I was feeling very inadequate. Kind of failed one of my classes because of it, lol. I was also suicidal when the bullying was at its highest point, I can tell you about the time I was made to stand in the middle of a circle while everyone around me threw peanuts with sauce at me. It sucks and it was terrible at the time, and talking about it still stings a little, but I just don't let it bring me down, its been more than ten years, I am what I am, maybe even because of it. It teached me compassion and to rely on myself, and that anyone can be horrible if they are caught up in the moment. But that it doesn't define them as a person. Maybe I am too optimistic, but I like to think the best in people, even when they have done horrible things.

And that sucks what happened to you and I'm really sorry to hear it. But you made it to adulthood and you're clearly a very strong person, especially for not holding grudges.

Some aren't so lucky. Some don't make it out alive. I made it to adulthood and am relatively happy, but I see red every time I think about my childhood bullies. Not to downplay your bullying (seriously, what happened to you sucks), but I'd take getting peanuts and sauce thrown at me over being buried up to my head in a cemetery overnight, and that wasn't even the worst of it. And the adults did fucking nothing, just like they do fucking nothing with Bakugou. You know what I did when I found out one of my childhood bullies was in jail a few years ago? I fucking celebrated. I'd like to think it doesn't make me a worse person for doing so.

I don't know man, I just don't like to entirely blame others. Like Deku, I was bullied because I kept trying to stand my ground and don't give up on my dreams even when I had people putting me down. Maybe that is why this manga is so personal to me.

It's personal to me as well, but my issue isn't with it happening, it's that no one else seems to care. People encourage Bakugou to try harder while not really pushing him to not be a dick or care about the fact he told a powerless kid (at the time) to commit suicide and destroyed his property. No one is being a responsible adult toward the guy. And that's another problem I have, the completely dropped plot point of quirkless people. That kind of discrimination being widespread would have actually made Bakugou's bullying and the muted reaction from everyone else a really good plot thread, but we get nothing on that front even though All Might was quirkless at one point.

If the end game of the manga is what I believe, Bakugou will realize he doesn't deserve Deku´s kindness and he will have to live with that. Believe it or not, that is far heavier than getting his face punched.

And that would be great, but do you honestly think that's where things will go? The guy who's being encouraged by All Might to "prop up" the guy that got his powers? If it does go in that direction, I'll gladly eat crow, but everything from the story to the art to the composition of the very panels makes it clear to me they'll be friends with Bakugou not abandoning his asshole personality nor ever apologizing for the 11 years of torment he put Deku through.

cntr

Banned
How did Bakugou win? He actually tanked a punch from Deku? I'm calling shenanigans.
Yes, that's how One for All works.

Think about it, if five percent was that good, Izuku would be hilariously overpowered. Like series derailing powerful.

If it seems implausible, that's because you're overestimating how good 5% is. It's perfectly consistent, heck, it literally already happened once with Stain.

Meffer

Yes, that's how One for All works.

Think about it, if five percent was that good, Izuku would be hilariously overpowered. Like series derailing powerful.

If it seems implausible, that's because you're overestimating how good 5% is. It's perfectly consistent, heck, it literally already happened once with Stain.

Exactly. If it was the other case, the manga would've have an instant powercreep this early in the series. And that be terrible.
And let's not forget, Stain was defeated by three people not just one.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Some users brought it to my attention, and just wanted to do a quick apology for this post It was meant to be a funny anecdote about me being an asshole but I acknowledge it might have been in bad taste. Again, sorry if it upset anyone.

Bakugou #1? Plz no. I don't need a Sasuke-like takeover of My Hero Academia.

Tsuyu and Ochako ranks are a crime.

When I saw Baku at #1, I wanted to make a pic of Sasuke doing his dramatic Mr. Burns style finger thing with the caption, "It begins" but was too lazy.

RainForce, I just want you to know, I feel for you, relate, and completely agree with everything you're saying.

And at the risk of giving OniBarubary another aneurysm by talking about Naruto again, the real reason Sasuke became so prominent in Naruto was because Kishimoto "liked drawing Sasuke". Yeah.

Actually, Sasuke was an editor thing. They said Naruto needed a rival (and I kind of agree, rivals are a good source of long-running tension and antagonism), so Kishimoto put him in, but really he just wanted to tell the story of just Naruto (the series was supposed to be way shorter, but that sweeeeeeet money). Then Sasuke got popular and he had to give Sasuke more story and things just kind of spiraled from there. Not saying that will happen here as Baku is clearly meant to be part of the story.

This also isnt first time hes taken a ofa punch from deku to the face.

This was also after all might punched bakugou right in the gut making him throw up

You guys forgetting?¿

Eeeeeeh, the physics of Deku's punches are kinda inconsistent so I try not to worry about actual damage. He also blasted through like three floors of concrete with a punch, busted up a robot with his first punch, and that's not even taking into account we all have more leg muscles than arm muscles (Kickboxing is OP against boxing), also I'm sure Baku's bones aren't made of either metal or concrete (Here's a twist, all the kids are robots, this is all a computer simulation). Anyway the real point I'm trying to make here is does Deku melt steel beams?

Maybe...

cntr

Banned
Sasuke was created when the editors asked for it, yeah, but that was back in Part 1. When he continued after the timeskip, Kishimoto started giving Sasuke so much focus on his own and did literally say that he liked drawing him

that's the reason this exists

Eeeeeeh, the physics of Deku's punches are kinda inconsistent so I try not to worry about actual damage. He also blasted through like three floors of concrete with a punch, busted up a robot with his first punch, and that's not even taking into account we all have more leg muscles than arm muscles (Kickboxing is OP against boxing), also I'm sure Baku's bones aren't made of either metal or concrete (Here's a twist, all the kids are robots, this is all a computer simulation). Anyway the real point I'm trying to make here is does Deku melt steel beams?

Maybe...

Blasting through 3floors and punching the robot were done without full cowl as in when his limbs turned to mush

The punch to bakugou was with Full Cowl 5% to the face before so taking another 5% to the face and 8% to the arms isnt going to destroy him

Top Bottom