• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia (Shonen Jump) move over pirates, ninjas, reapers, its Hero time

Meffer

tumblr_oisfeaqXe91vx5pe4o1_1280.png

Philippo

I admit it: even if the pacing of the series is exceptional, the only regret i have is that we have almost no time to breathe and see the characters go through everyday life. I'd love to see some moments where they just hang out wasting time like the kids of their age are supposed to do. Like, the first image is great but we've never seen the trio being so friendly that they would invite each others to their home, but we only assume it even if we've hardly seen them together outside of class.
But hey on the other hand we get great arcs abd moments one after the other.

cntr

Banned
I hope Horikoshi does more mini-arcs like the dorm room visits.

The series cast is great, since you can infer so much from their body language and interactions. I know what the friendships and cliques in the class are without needing the manga to tell me. It kinda feels like a real school. And thanks to the rotating cast system, I don't have to worry about them being ignored forever, like most shounen casts are!

I'm doing a Naruto reread 'cause some of my friends can't shut up about Boruto and I want to be able to tell them how wrong they are about stuff, and it's really made me appreciate MHA a lot more. I see more strongly the structural similarities between the two series, but MHA does it all with hugely more thought; just a wildly superior execution, in a ton of ways.

Female representation is the big one for me at the point I'm at. Sakura's buttmonkey status is well established, but it's a huge problem for the rest of the female cast as well. They're just weaker (and generally not as well written) as their male counterparts, with very few exceptions. Like, to the point that it's starting to grate. Ino's the only one of the focus-Genin whose special justu apparently doesn't get ANY stronger post-timeskip.

SalvaPot

I'm doing a Naruto reread 'cause some of my friends can't shut up about Boruto and I want to be able to tell them how wrong they are about stuff, and it's really made me appreciate MHA a lot more. I see more strongly the structural similarities between the two series, but MHA does it all with hugely more thought; just a wildly superior execution, in a ton of ways.

Female representation is the big one for me at the point I'm at. Sakura's buttmonkey status is well established, but it's a huge problem for the rest of the female cast as well. They're just weaker (and generally not as well written) as their male counterparts, with very few exceptions. Like, to the point that it's starting to grate. Ino's the only one of the focus-Genin whose special justu apparently doesn't get ANY stronger post-timeskip.

Just skip to Boruto, no need to waste your time with the last part of the series. They pretty much explain what happened.

It's your time and sanity.

How can I properly vent my salt about the ending if I'm pretty sure I never actually got to the ending?

Read One Piece or JOJO, its for your own good!

Or Gintama.

I'm mostly caught up on One Piece. JoJo's on The List. Gintama... idk. I bounced off it the last time I tried it, but I didn't get very far in, and apparently there's a thing about it changing somewhat later on...?

Veelk

Banned
I keep meaning to do a Naruto re-read...but honestly, I have so much actual good stuff to read and watch and play, it seems hard to work up the energy to waste time on pure shit.

SalvaPot

How can I properly vent my salt about the ending if I'm pretty sure I never actually got to the ending?

I'm mostly caught up on One Piece. JoJo's on The List. Gintama... idk. I bounced off it the last time I tried it, but I didn't get very far in, and apparently there's a thing about it changing somewhat later on...?

Gintama has a slow start like One Piece, and it goes from serious to comedy back to serious and then a mix of both and then serious and then comedy and then mix and then comedy... you get the idea. I'll actually recommend the anime for this one, it lets the characters breath.

Its also a series that gets better the more you know about japanese culture / the more manga you have read.

It also has the best female characters in all of Shonen, by far. I mean actual characters.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Gintama is the most "I missed that train" series for me. I know I would love it, but fuck there is just so much fucking there to go through. I barely have enough time in my life for short series.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'm not at all surprised Toga is higher than most of the other female characters. People love crazy.

Bakugou #1? Plz no. I don't need a Sasuke-like takeover of My Hero Academia.

Tsuyu and Ochako ranks are a crime.

Is it actually happening? I would love for Bakugou to get exposure like Sasuke did.

pls guys, Bakugou isn't going to take over the series because of a poll.

Like...think about it. Tsuyu got fourth place and second place in the first Japan and US polls. But Tsuyu still became a background character for the last several arcs. The most she got out of it was that extra chapter about her in middle school. If Horikoshi's editor cared that much about polls, would he let that happen?

Even if Horikoshi wasn't a planner, this chapter would've taken weeks of discussion and planning ahead, and it's consistent with Deku and Bakugou's arcs. If Horikoshi's editor really was the type to make sudden changes, wouldn't we have noticed it before? But I've never gotten that impression from the series, so it didn't happen.

And at the risk of giving OniBarubary another aneurysm by talking about Naruto again, the real reason Sasuke became so prominent in Naruto was because Kishimoto "liked drawing Sasuke". Yeah.

Sure but Sasuke was also an incredibly popular character. Sales of the Immortal Arc was down and as so Kishi changed to Sasuke's journey which led to an immediate increase.

Lies. Ino does get much stronger. The biggest female improvement is of course Sakura but in general K11 take a bit of a backseat later on.

Veelk

Banned

I just realized. Momo has a little bit of fat on her.

I mean, she still has an ideal figure and all that, but look. It's actually there.

Man, I love a lot of things about this series, but the thing I keep coming back to is how real it consistently feels while still being super progressive. And while most people will not catch this, I appreciate that the most conventionally attractive girl of the main cast is one that is still depicted realistically.

Edit: actually, I should link the place where this was pointed out to me. Here.

It even has canonical support, since her quirk comes from her fat.

Lies. Ino does get much stronger. The biggest female improvement is of course Sakura but in general K11 take a bit of a backseat later on.

"Biggest female improvement is Sakura" is uh not saying much as of chapter 518. Like, that's actually a damning indictment of the rest of the female cast.

Also, Bakugou is better written than Sasuke on basically every level, so I would be sort of okay with him getting more focus; one of the best parts of MHA is the way the cast rotates in and out of focus, though, so I definitely don't want him to become a second protagonist.

Although he and Todoroki have as many shonen protag tropes as Deku, if not more. lol.

I have too much fanart saved.

Yeah, but it was a lot of things that made Sasuke: Shippuden happen, is what I mean.

Did that get you to change your avatar? Nice.

Sasuke: Shippuden kicked off way back. I would say at least as far back as the Chunin Exam, where he got his own special rage-based upgrade to compete with Naruto (Curse Seal).

LotusHD

Banned
I just realized. Momo has a little bit of fat on her.

I mean, she still has an ideal figure and all that, but look. It's actually there.

Man, I love a lot of things about this series, but the thing I keep coming back to is how real it consistently feels while still being super progressive. And while most people will not catch this, I appreciate that the most conventionally attractive girl of the main cast is one that is still depicted realistically.

Edit: actually, I should link the place where this was pointed out to me. Here.

It even has canonical support, since her quirk comes from her fat.

Yea I've noticed that as well with Ochako. (I knew for sure the author was cool when he handled her fight Bakugou spectacularly) The girls are all cute and all, but their bodies don't come off at all as being this super unattainable ideal, as opposed to something like say Fairy Tail, which is all about that T/A, or One Piece, that normally gives their women similar features, only really bothering to occasionally subvert the trend with "ugly" designs like Big Mom or Brulee.

cntr

Banned
I'll be forever impressed that Horikoshi managed to create a cast of attractive boys and girls while still making them all distinct

"Biggest female improvement is Sakura" is uh not saying much as of chapter 518. Like, that's actually a damning indictment of the rest of the female cast.

Also, Bakugou is better written than Sasuke on basically every level, so I would be sort of okay with him getting more focus; one of the best parts of MHA is the way the cast rotates in and out of focus, though, so I definitely don't want him to become a second protagonist.

Although he and Todoroki have as many shonen protag tropes as Deku, if not more. lol.

Sasuke: Shippuden kicked off way back. I would say at least as far back as the Chunin Exam, where he got his own special rage-based upgrade to compete with Naruto (Curse Seal).

You've got some way to go still.
I would hugely disagree. At this point Byakugou doesn't even have the development of part 1 Sasuke.

See, having a rival become a second protagonist is actually a great thing. Not only do you attract a greater audience from those wanting a different perspective, it allows the exploration of many plot lines simultaneously and the dynamic becomes far more volatile than the usual I need to surpass my rival.

Thats one of the best things about Sasuke: his character arc not only goes throughout the manga like Naruto's but his ambitions and path is independent, creating a character that does not feel like a simple stepping stone for the MC that so many shounen rivals have become. Also respect for Kishi in maintaining their power levels as equal.

This mangaka has taken big inspiration from Naruto so I am now curious to see how he handles the relationship.

Veelk

Banned
As always, there is never any such thing as an inherently wrong concept. A secondary character becoming a protagonist is a fine thing on it's own. And given the quality that Horikoshi has handled every other trope thus far, if Bakugou were to receive his own storyline, I have confidence that it would be handled well.

Sasuke was bad because everything in Naruto is shit. He starts off being grossly overpowered relative to Naruto because apparently Naruto did jack shit with his time with Jiraiya to actually get stronger, forcing him to get several training arcs post time skip just to catch up to Sasuke, whose inexplicably getting more powers as the series goes on and somehow slaughtered Orochimaru in their fight without a sweat. He forms his own poor man's team 7 out of a bunch of rejects, before going literally insane and taking actions that are not only reprehensible but also nonsensical.

Sasuke's storyline isn't bad because it became it's own thing, it's bad because Kishimoto is a shitty writer. He overpowered and took the characterization of Sasuke off the fucking rails. There's a much greater chance that given the same task, Horikoshi would do it much better with Bakugou. That said, I doubt that's going to happen.

You've got some way to go still.
I would hugely disagree. At this point Byakugou doesn't even have the development of part 1 Sasuke.

See, having a rival become a second protagonist is actually a great thing. Not only do you attract a greater audience from those wanting a different perspective, it allows the exploration of many plot lines simultaneously and the dynamic becomes far more volatile than the usual I need to surpass my rival.

Thats one of the best things about Sasuke: his character arc not only goes throughout the manga like Naruto's but his ambitions and path is independent, creating a character that does not feel like a simple stepping stone for the MC that so many shounen rivals have become. Also respect for Kishi in maintaining their power levels as equal.

This mangaka has taken big inspiration from Naruto so I am now curious to see how he handles the relationship.

Part 1 Sasuke was an overpowered edgelord whose character motivations come and go as the plot requires. Part 2 is the same but he's also insane, and seems to be going through as series of increasingly ridiculous asspull powerups. Bakugou has a consistent motive, method, and powers that allow for interesting and dynamic fights.

Having a rival become a second protag can be a good thing, certainly; like Veelk says, tropes are tools. Anything can work in the right story. I think that elevating Bakugou in that way wouldn't be a good fit for MHA, though. Like I said, one of the strengths is the large cast, and the way most everybody gets a chance in the limelight. Splitting primary focus between two parties makes that harder to manage, since you've got a lot fewer panels to spare. Bakugou vs. Deku is already a great deal more interesting than Naruto vs. Sasuke, since the former seems to feel very little but contempt for the latter (barring the occasional spurt of goodwill that really seems to come out of nowhere; he's really very inconsistently written), and the former wants nothing more than to "save" the latter despite all of Sasuke's predicaments being the result of a series of incredibly boneheaded moves for power and being a general sucker. So I don't think you gain anything there. Sasuke's second protag status also resulted in the Uchiha Plot Tumor and all that implies, so that's another good reason to stay away from that model.

I'd also point out that we got a Bakugou storyline of sorts, in the kidnapping arc; he wasn't the primary focus, but we did get some great scenes with him as the perspective. I feel like that was a much better way of handling things.

Veelk

Banned
Part 1 Sasuke was an overpowered edgelord whose character motivations come and go as the plot requires. Part 2 is the same but he's also insane, and seems to be going through as series of increasingly ridiculous asspull powerups.

Okay, this is gonna come off as weird since I just said everything in Naruto was shit....it is, just comprehensively, rather than literally. So Sasuke, as a whole, is shit, but he wasn't shit at different points of the manga. And I think there is a distinct difference between his power in Part 1 vs Part 2.

In the first real arc, in the Land of Mist, Sakura mastered tree walking much faster than either Sasuke and Naruto and even when he mastered it, it was roughly at a similar time as Naruto, when Kakashi and Sakura had expected Sasuke to smoke him. Then, later in the fight, Sasuke may have outlasted Naruto, but he was still trumped by Haku, showing that for all his talent, he was no less a novice than Naruto was. Edit: And before that, Naruto was the primary mover of freeing Kakashi. It was his idea, that Sasuke understood instinctively, and all he really did was throw the Windmill Shuriken, while Naruto did all the work of shadow jutsuing and transforming and throwing the kunai in the midst of all that.

In the Chunin arc, he showed he was also vulnerable to the same basic fears everyone else was, with how he froze up against Orochimaru and Naruto had to be the one to shake him out of it. Then of course there's the Gaara fight, which he ultimately lost to, while Naruto won, and then he got out sharinganed by his brother Itachi.

While Sasuke was always a powerful character in Part 1, the perception of him being the best was shown to be just that, a perception. People saw the Uchiha emblem on his back and immediately assumed he was the shit. And because of his heritage, he has privileges to be better. His family taught him fire jutsu, which genin weren't supposed to be taught at the time, Kakashi decided to train him personally while he dumped Naruto with the loser chunin Konohamaru's teacher, and everytime he entered a fight, everyone held their breathe expecting to see something glorious, while when Rock Lee and Naruto showed up, they just thought "eh, scrub about to lose to the real fighter". There was a sense of societal bias that elevated the perception of the talents of the 'genius' beyond what they actually were, and similarly undermined the talents of the 'losers'.

Then Part 2 happened and Sasuke no-selled Naruto, Sakura, and then slaughtered Orochimaru offscreen. Bah.

cntr

Banned
Speaking of, the first Naruto episode of 2017 on Toonami is going to be the one where it all went wrong(er).

Specifically, Tobi explaining Itachi's motivations to Sasuke.

Part 1 Sasuke was an overpowered edgelord whose character motivations come and go as the plot requires. Part 2 is the same but he's also insane, and seems to be going through as series of increasingly ridiculous asspull powerups. Bakugou has a consistent motive, method, and powers that allow for interesting and dynamic fights.

No they did not. He has a clear and obvious progression and the edgelord nick is just silly. Sasuke's motive actually progresses in the light of events, as does his powers. In fact the progression of Sasuke's skill in part 1 is far more rewarding than Bakugou's.

Having a rival become a second protag can be a good thing, certainly; like Veelk says, tropes are tools. Anything can work in the right story. I think that elevating Bakugou in that way wouldn't be a good fit for MHA, though. Like I said, one of the strengths is the large cast, and the way most everybody gets a chance in the limelight. Splitting primary focus between two parties makes that harder to manage, since you've got a lot fewer panels to spare. Bakugou vs. Deku is already a great deal more interesting than Naruto vs. Sasuke, since the former seems to feel very little but contempt for the latter (barring the occasional spurt of goodwill that really seems to come out of nowhere; he's really very inconsistently written), and the former wants nothing more than to "save" the latter despite all of Sasuke's predicaments being the result of a series of incredibly boneheaded moves for power and being a general sucker. So I don't think you gain anything there. Sasuke's second protag status also resulted in the Uchiha Plot Tumor and all that implies, so that's another good reason to stay away from that model.

The reason Naruto and Sasuke end fight was so iconic in anime is due to the very fact of its animosity. That was a massive surprise, especially Naruto losing at such a crucial climax of the story.

I'm getting the feeling you haven't really payed attention to Sasuke's character at all, for labelling him as power hungry would be overlooking the massive plot point of his character duality, something that remains as a memory for Naruto and Sakura throughout the show.

I'd also point out that we got a Bakugou storyline of sorts, in the kidnapping arc; he wasn't the primary focus, but we did get some great scenes with him as the perspective. I feel like that was a much better way of handling things.

Literally minuscule to the exposition Sasuke had in part 1.

As always, there is never any such thing as an inherently wrong concept. A secondary character becoming a protagonist is a fine thing on it's own. And given the quality that Horikoshi has handled every other trope thus far, if Bakugou were to receive his own storyline, I have confidence that it would be handled well.

Sasuke was bad because everything in Naruto is shit. He starts off being grossly overpowered relative to Naruto because apparently Naruto did jack shit with his time with Jiraiya to actually get stronger, forcing him to get several training arcs post time skip just to catch up to Sasuke, whose inexplicably getting more powers as the series goes on and somehow slaughtered Orochimaru in their fight without a sweat. He forms his own poor man's team 7 out of a bunch of rejects, before going literally insane and taking actions that are not only reprehensible but also nonsensical.

Sasuke's storyline isn't bad because it became it's own thing, it's bad because Kishimoto is a shitty writer. He overpowered and took the characterization of Sasuke off the fucking rails. There's a much greater chance that given the same task, Horikoshi would do it much better with Bakugou. That said, I doubt that's going to happen.

Jesus christ the hyperbole. You're also wrong on many things.

1) Sasuke was shown numerous times to be a far quicker learner than Naruto and Sakura even speculates Sasuke was using drugs (Oro actually makes Sasuke's body immune to poison this way).
2) Oro was at his weakest state.
3) Insanity is what one would expect when you've lived your life as the consequence of trauma only to discover everything was a lie.

Veelk

Banned
1) Sasuke was shown numerous times to be a far quicker learner than Naruto and Sakura even speculates Sasuke was using drugs (Oro actually makes Sasuke's body immune to poison this way).
2) Oro was at his weakest state.
3) Insanity is what one would expect when you've lived your life as the consequence of trauma only to discover everything was a lie.

I'm not gonna go down the rabbit hole with you, partially because Naruto Shitpooden was a long time ago and partially because this is the MHA thread anyway, but to quickly just address these points

1 and 2 are just limp plot devices to try and justify an absurd skyrocket in power that doesn't really accomplish anything except to overemphasize how powerful Sasuke is, which doesn't take away from the problem that Sasuke is just flat out overpowered.

3. No, it's not, but even if it were, merely being realistic doesn't mean it's compelling or meaningful. Anakin was provided pretty realistic reasons for why he'd slaughter the sand people in Episode 2, that doesn't make it good writing.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique

To prove my consistency. I actually really like Sasuke's brief spell of "haha kill everybody!" That was a fun way to end what was, in retrospect, kind of a neat fight with Danzo or whatever his name was despite various flaws leading up to it (mainly the guy just kind of appears as a villian and doesn't really establish himself well). Let it be known! I always like crazy, no matter where I find it! Everyone is welcomed to my asylum!

Top Bottom