• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia (Shonen Jump) move over pirates, ninjas, reapers, its Hero time

cntr

Banned
I wouldn't worry unless it actually happens.

Deku's going to improve his technique before gaining more control, methinks. He can't do a proper 8% since his arms are healing.

cntr

Banned
It's not even not having faith, this chapter is consistent with the setting and story arc -- but it's suddenly a sign that Bakugou's taking over? What? Like damn, you guys need to take a break, because this is one of the silliest overreactions I've ever seen.

TheFlow

Banned
It's not even not having faith, this chapter is consistent with the setting and story arc -- but it's suddenly a sign that Bakugou's taking over? What? Like damn, you guys need to take a break, because this is one of the silliest overreactions I've ever seen.
Maybe you should take a break from the thread. You are having an outrage everytime someone post something about Baku

It just seems like everyones jumpy....
Over nothing?
Misunderstanding or misremembering parts and having conspiracy theories from a popularity poll 😅😅😅

I just find the reactions really confusing.

TheFlow

Banned
Over nothing?
Misunderstanding or misremembering parts and having conspiracy theories from a popularity poll 😅😅😅

there is like 2 jumpy people here. everyone else is in line. Hell you better not go into the one piece thread then. They break down each panel and everything. ODA the GOD

We need a little Christmas
https://twitter.com/mjr_gff/status/812659693931806720
C0ckf-IVQAAB_aT.jpg:large

Yes, that's how One for All works.

Think about it, if five percent was that good, Izuku would be hilariously overpowered. Like series derailing powerful.

If it seems implausible, that's because you're overestimating how good 5% is. It's perfectly consistent, heck, it literally already happened once with Stain.

Exactly. If it was the other case, the manga would've have an instant powercreep this early in the series. And that be terrible.
And let's not forget, Stain was defeated by three people not just one.

I'm not talking about anything drastic. I just thought it'd be enough to knock him out. Whatever.

Over nothing?

The polls are the real shenanigans. You trying to tell me Yaoyorozo dropped and Kyouka is that high up? I REFUSE TO BELIEVE IT!1!1!1!

cntr

Banned
There has to be a proper fighting arc where the villains are about as strong as the class, right? If Deku can knock Bakugou out with a single punch, that screws things up.

And Jirou's legit. I'm glad she's getting recognition.

Not more legit than Yaoyorozo 😤😤

Yaoyo's costume will always bring her down a little bit in my eyes. Like, yeah, I get the reasoning there, and it's excused very neatly by her powers, but it's still a highschooler running around with Absolute Cleavage and it's open all the way down the back. Super fanservicey.

cntr

Banned
Yeah it's silly, but I'm not as bothered by it as I usually would be. She's a legit character, and the shots and framing don't play it up.

it's not open on the back, though

Yaoyo's costume will always bring her down a little bit in my eyes. Like, yeah, I get the reasoning there, and it's excused very neatly by her powers, but it's still a highschooler running around with Absolute Cleavage and it's open all the way down the back. Super fanservicey.
Oh, yeah you're right. I like her character personality but my favorite is Mei Hatsume. Unfortunately, she didn't even chart so...

Yeah it's silly, but I'm not as bothered by it as I usually would be. She's a legit character, and the shots and framing don't play it up.

it's not open on the back, though

Huh, you're right, I was misremembering that.

You're also right that it's not something that's really played up for titillation (other than the occasional "Yaoyo's printing something really big avert your eyes" gag), but it's still a couple points off. Still, I'd say that the female characters are underranked in the poll as a whole anyway- even the most popular ones are all clustered right at the bottom of the top 10.

cntr

Banned
I appreciate that they didn't play up Tsuyu's dress on the poll for fanservice, it's pretty common for that outfit to be

Over nothing?

Man makes a comment about a character winning a popularity poll and y'all act like I'm falling out beside myself.

Chill.

there is like 2 jumpy people here. everyone else is in line. Hell you better not go into the one piece thread then. They break down each panel and everything. ODA the GOD

No lies detected. Goda indeed.

Mei didn't chart? Wow, even after her new appearances... girl is great.

Ochako best though.

Not sure why i was quoted ��

Were you commenting on people expressing concerns about Bakugou, which stemmed from my comments about the popularity poll? If not, my apologies. If so, I think it's rather clear why you were quoted.

Some folks get weird about speculation and extrapolation. It's rather normal. We'll survive.

TheFlow

Banned
Crazy fan theories, speculation, and intense discussion of a characters worth is what makes these threads. Example see the Jojo thread, Steven universe thread, or one piece thread. You would think phd scholars were talking over there.

Crazy fan theories, speculation, and intense discussion of a characters worth is what makes these threads. Example see the Jojo thread, Steven universe thread, or one piece thread. You would think phd scholars were talking over there.

I read the One Piece thread, but never participate because they're so far above me.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Bakugou should have been killed by Deku turning him into a villain where he abuses the power of One For All.

Bakugou should have been killed by Deku turning him into a villain where he abuses the power of One For All.

It's clear that Deku-Bakugou is supposed to be this generation's All Might-Endeavor. The last chapter pointed at them being somewhat more friendly that the previous versions.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
It's clear that Deku-Bakugou is supposed to be this generation's All Might-Endeavor. The last chapter pointed at them being somewhat more friendly that the previous versions.

I honestly don't really get the Baku = Endeavour parallels that keep popping up mostly because I don't think we've seen nearly enough of Endeavour to get a good handle on him. Besides disliking All Might and getting reeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaally excited at Icey shooting flames, I don't feel like we know that much about him.

Is it really? Bakugou being like Endeavor is the last thing that crossed my mind. Bakugou is sort of a wild card for me in terms of his future.

I honestly don't really get the Baku = Endeavour parallels that keep popping up mostly because I don't think we've seen nearly enough of Endeavour to get a good handle on him. Besides disliking All Might and getting reeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaally excited at Icey shooting flames, I don't feel like we know that much about him.

Endeavor is a bad "face" for the heroes and a bad father, but up until the recent arc, he was the #2. He's very good at his job. He's a great hero who simply couldn't match up to the #1 and became consumed by anger and resentment at that gap.

Hence why people keep pointing out the Bakugou parallels. Again, I think Bakugou and Deku will have a friendly version of that rivalry.

I don't think endgame Bakugou's supposed to be the new Endeavor, he's supposed to be the guy who avoided becoming Endeavor.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was saying.

cntr

Banned
I don't like the One Piece thread that much. They have no chill. Even if we explode from time to time, the JJBA thread and this thread's a lot better.

Is it really? Bakugou being like Endeavor is the last thing that crossed my mind. Bakugou is sort of a wild card for me in terms of his future.
Endeavor's a guy who's focused on power, right? And his goal was to become No. 1, beating All Might. But he got so angry and focused on winning over All Might that he ended up corrupting himself into a villain.

Bakugou's character is based on rage and power in the same way, and his self-esteem got demolished once Deku started doing things better than him. So if he hadn't started changing the last few arcs, he would've ended up corrupting himself the same way Endeavor did, yeah? That's where the comparison comes from.

I don't think endgame Bakugou's supposed to be the new Endeavor, he's supposed to be the guy who avoided becoming Endeavor.

Bakugo and Kirishima in both top 10 polls!

Great stuff voters, great stuff.

Wondering if the Bakugo artwork in the top 10 is supposed to be a callback to the lion guy from crazy zoo.

The rising of certain characters makes me wonder if the new fans the anime brought in might have been a factor. I know Bakugo and Aizawa's seiyuu are fairly popular, but....yeah, Jirou's rise is an absolute mystery to me.

It kind of feels like Kirishima's been pushed since he first showed up, so I can't say I'm too surprised by him.

cntr

Banned
Jirou's probably because of MHA Smash, where she shows up a lot. She's cool.

She's like that music nerd punk kid who's chill and leans against walls while wearing headphones, except Jirou doesn't need to

cntr

Banned
well, your face is a non-character :mad:

Everybody in the class has a lot of character. Only Satou and Kouda don't yet, but that's just because they haven't shown up enough.

Verelios

Okay, who here voted for Toga? Ya'll know yourselves.

New chapter was pretty good, I especially liked the moment of calmness exhibited by Bakugou after the fight where he seems conflicted on where to go from there.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Okay, who here voted for Toga? Ya'll know yourselves.

I consider this a victory for crazy everywhere. Just you wait, all we need is one chapter where she's lazy in bed, looks at a clock, and goes "I'm not going to be a person today" and crashes into her pillow pulling the covers over her head. Then you all will be on the Toga train!

But for real, I adore her disheveled design. I have never seen such a "I go through long bouts of depression" look in awhile.

Top Bottom