• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia (Shonen Jump) move over pirates, ninjas, reapers, its Hero time

I currently enjoy reading MHA over OP. This is not to say OP is garbage! Personally I think MHA is better with depicting action and keeping a good pace.

Plus MHA benefits from not having power creep yet and being able to have clever solutions to fights rather than it becoming a power-move battle. One Piece's world is certainly more interesting, but I just love where MHA is at right now.

how can you say keeping a good pace with 51 chapters... If anything shows a good pace is longevity. You can't talk about pace with... 1 arc and a half? I feel it's too early to judge that. What you're probably liking is the novelty of the manga itself.

cntr

Banned
Volume 5 cover:
tHlsXqH.jpg

First to not feature Izuku.

Snakeyes

This feels a lot more tropey and predictable than One Piece, tbh. I personally still need an arc from this that changes my perception from "Average" to "Fucking masterpiece". Like Arlong Park, Alabasta, Water 7, etc.

This feels more "dynamic" from the art to the action, though it still hasn't shown a lot of how the world the heroes live in is constructed, and how it actually works.

One Piece is pretty formulaic too. There are plenty of arcs that follow a similar pattern;

1. Arrive to awesome new island.
2. Meet potential new crew member/ally.
3. Get tangled up in some conspiracy/major event.
4. Loads of running.
5. Strawhats VS the arc's villains, often one-on-one.
6. Sad flashback.
7. Everyone cheers for Luffy as he beats the boss with a new attack.
8. Party!

That being said, OP still has excellent world-building and some truly great arcs (Water 7, Impel Down/Marineford) that will be hard for MHA to top.

Anyways, character poll:

1. Deku
2. Bakugou
3. Uraraka
4. All Might
5. Todoroki

One Piece is pretty formulaic too. There are plenty of arcs that follow a similar pattern;

1. Arrive to awesome new island.
2. Meet potential new crew member/ally.
3. Get tangled up in some conspiracy/major event.
4. Loads of running.
5. Strawhats VS the arc's villains, often one-on-one.
6. Sad flashback.
7. Everyone cheers for Luffy as he beats the boss with a new attack.
8. Party!

That being said, OP still has excellent world-building and some truly great arcs (Water 7, Impel Down/Marineford) that will be hard for MHA to top.

Anyways, character poll:

1. Deku
2. Bakugou
3. Uraraka
4. All Might
5. Todoroki
Archipelago is GOAT, Marine Ford, W7 & Arlong Arc are also pretty incredible though.

Nightbird

That Chapter was great. Awesome Teamwork and a very interesting Quirk that Stain has. I hope we get more Villians like him in the Future. One is not enough :p

Also does MHA have English volume releases yet? I haven't bought manga in some time but id like to have it in the small collection i have.

Also does MHA have English volume releases yet? I haven't bought manga in some time but id like to have it in the small collection i have.

The first volume comes out in August, but early copies were available at Otakon.

I have one next to me on my desk right now. :3

New chapter was pretty good. I liked how they were able to present Stain as a match for Todoroki without getting too out-there, and his power is interesting. I'm glad that there's so much teamwork in this series, compared to the typical shonen.

Great pacing, Stain doesn't collapse and become a pushover after his quirk is discovered, and Deku putting that intellect to work. Great chapter.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's not a manga until blood types get brought up.

Ashodin

fuuuuuuu Stain is amazing guys

Dat 90s extreme at work

Also Iida (Ingenium) is gonna get up and do that work

also goddamn at Deku running Stain's face into the building

Permanently A

I just started reading this, and fuck me I want the main character to accomplish his dreams so badly. The art is really quality too.

Blues1990

I'm interested with checking out this series, given the positive response from most of the posters here. I especially like the design of the cute girl with the frog/toad super abilities.

Should I read all of the chapters, or are there more essential stories that should get me up to speed?

I'm interested with checking out this series, given the positive response from most of the posters here. I especially like the design of the cute girl with the frog/toad super abilities.

Should I read all of the chapters, or are there more essential stories that should get me up to speed?

Read them all, there's not that many

Meffer

Yes, come to the Tsuyu fan club... We got cookies.

Pappasman

Just start from the beginning. It only been running for about a year so its easy to catch up on.

Top Bottom