• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia (Shonen Jump) move over pirates, ninjas, reapers, its Hero time

Alright, since the manga is getting a popularity contest and we are getting out our opinions on best girl, might as well make a popularity contest too! If you want to participate just post your votes in the following format and I´ll count them up.

sounds cool.

1) All Might
2) Uraraka
3) Deku
4) Tsuyu
5) Hatsume

Alright, since the manga is getting a popularity contest and we are getting out our opinions on best girl, might as well make a popularity contest too! If you want to participate just post your votes in the following format and I´ll count them up.

Okay, I'll do this. :)

1)Deku
2)Hatsume
3)All Might
4)Bakugou
5)Ochako

This is some pretty vanilla taste, but every character is so good so it's hard to settle for just 5!

Be happy I considered gravity girl over Frog girl.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Do my votes count if I don't remember their names?

1)Deku
2)Evil Hand guy
3) fire/ice kid
4)Baron von Explodikill
5) Gravity girl

gngf123

1) Deku
2) All Might
3) Stain
4) Tokoyami
5) Hatsume

It's really hard to settle on just 5. There are a lot of characters I really like.

Qurupeke

~~~First NeoGAF Popularity Contest for "My Hero Academia".~~~
1. Bakugou
2. Hatsume
3. Ochako
4. Deku
5. Kendou

Bakugou is just so awesome and everyone else isn't.

Kansoku

tumblr_nf3xp4jIkl1u1wamvo8_250.png

1) Uraraka
2) Uraraka
3) Uraraka
4) Uraraka
5) Uraraka

Just kidding,
1) Uraraka
2) Deku
3) Slain
4) Todoroki
5) Tsuyu

Meia

I remember what people said in general when
Luffy saved Ace
in the Marineford arc of One Piece: too predictable.

Yeah, arc isn't done yet, and nobody at all there is out of any kind of immediate peril. If anything things still aren't good since parts of the arc were narrated by the MC until this confrontation started in a past tense way...

ANYHOO, this manga is great, and here are my favs(again don't know names, so will go by power unless I DO know the name):

1) Frog girl
2) Gravity girl
3) Main character
4) All Might
5) Fire/Ice guy

I'll make sure by the next "poll" to have the names down. :p

How popular is this thing becoming? It feels weird seeking out a new manga once Naruto ended, finding this when it was early, and thinking it may be becoming popular.

How popular is this thing becoming? It feels weird seeking out a new manga once Naruto ended, finding this when it was early, and thinking it may be becoming popular.
Hopefully very popular. This and HxH are the only mangas that made me feel like I did when I first got into manga/anime ten years ago.

Nightbird

Hopefully very popular. This and HxH are the only mangas that made me feel like I did when I first got into manga/anime ten years ago.

It's pretty popular. For Reference, here are the average Rankings of the current Jump Series from Issue #1-#28 of 2015

1º - One Piece(1.65)
2º - Assassination Classroom(2.21)
3º - Boku no Hero Academia(2.44)
4º - Haikyuu!!(3.68)
5º - Shokugeki no Soma(4.00)
---
6º - Black Clover(4.33)
7º - Toriko(6.00)
8º - Hinomaru Zumou(6.18)
9º - Gintama(6.76)
10º - Saiki Kusuo no Sainan(7.38)
---
11º - Kagamigami(7.78)
12º - Nisekoi(8.47)
13º - World Trigger(8.74)
14º - Bleach(11.00)
15º - Kochikame(11.21)
---
16º - Ultra Battle Satellite(11.71)
17º - Takujou no Ageha(12.53)
18º - Gakkyuu Houtei(13.00)
18º - Judos(13.00)
SPECIAL - Isobe Isobee Monogatari(13.36)
---
21º - Hi-Fi Cluster(13.71)
22º - E-Robot(13.75)
23º - Kaizou Ningen Roggy(14.00)
24º - Sporting Salt(14.38)
---
25º - Devilyman(0.00)
26º - Dance-bu(0.00)
27º - Naruto Gaiden(0.00)
28º - Lady Justice(0.00)
(Got the Data from another Board, Wich got the Data from MH)

As you can see One Piece, Assassination Classroom and Hero Academia are the current Big 3 in the Jump Magazine. It may look different if we consider Manga Sales, but looking at this, we can be 100% sure that Hero Academia is shaping up to become one of Jumps important Series when the Quality stays the same

For clarity, while the Jump Table of Contents is mostly ranked by popularity, some stories, particularly one-shots and miniseries, are not ranked. That's why Naruto is unranked.

Probably uncontroversial opinion: this manga is better than One Piece

Come on, MHA has been running for a year now and One Piece is over 18, it has a long time to catch up to come close to the affection people have for One Piece and the world that has been built up

SalvaPot

Woahwoahwoahwoah

It may be true that the First 50 episodes of Boku no Hero > First 50 of One Piece, but only time will tell if its going to reach the pure ambition of One Piece.

One Piece has pacing issues, but Oda's been doing that shit since 1997.

Can you imagine doing the same thing every week for 18 years and keep that quality up?

But yeah, Boku no Hero is my first read every week.

1) Deku
2) Uraraka
3) All Might
4) Tsuyu
5) Crotch Laser

Honorable Mention: Mineta

This feels a lot more tropey and predictable than One Piece, tbh. I personally still need an arc from this that changes my perception from "Average" to "Fucking masterpiece". Like Arlong Park, Alabasta, Water 7, etc.

This feels more "dynamic" from the art to the action, though it still hasn't shown a lot of how the world the heroes live in is constructed, and how it actually works.

Grexeno

One Piece and My Hero Academia aren't even the same type of shounen. Even 52 chapters in One Piece arcs are significantly longer than MHA arcs.

Basically, One Piece is "long-form" shounen, and My Hero Academia is "short-form" shounen.

ss-hikaru

So happy I could vote in an official character popularity poll XD Although I don't really know any of the characters very well so I just went with Deku LOL. I'm guessing SJ Alpha will have a separate set of results to the WSJ results, will be interesting to see how different they are.

1º - One Piece(1.65)
2º - Assassination Classroom(2.21)
3º - Boku no Hero Academia(2.44)
4º - Haikyuu!!(3.68)
5º - Shokugeki no Soma(4.00)
---
6º - Black Clover(4.33)

Nice, those are well-deserving titles. Very happy Black Clover is doing pretty well, I'm enjoying it a lot surprisingly XD

Better than current chapters of One Piece? Yeah I'd agree. I much prefer reading MHA in Alpha than OP. But I do like One Piece up to the time skip. I like how ambitious it is story wise, but actually reading it week by week is kinda boring...Guess I'm just used to reading OP in tankobon format since I got into it so late.

even with its long and ardous sagas, i'd still say One Piece has some of the most consistent quality volumes of manga i've read.

let's give MHA a few more volumes before we jump the gun.

i felt the same about Bleach once upon a time...

rrc1594

even with its long and ardous sagas, i'd still say One Piece has some of the most consistent quality volumes of manga i've read.

let's give MHA a few more volumes before we jump the gun.

i felt the same about Bleach once upon a time...

Bleach was sooo good. The fall breaks my heart

Sagroth

I wanted to thank you all at GAF for the recommendation. Read all 52 chapters in one evening. Great manga.

Also, Froppy is #1.

Opto

Banned
You like MHA more than OP's 51 first chapters? or the almost 800 it has?

I currently enjoy reading MHA over OP. This is not to say OP is garbage! Personally I think MHA is better with depicting action and keeping a good pace.

Plus MHA benefits from not having power creep yet and being able to have clever solutions to fights rather than it becoming a power-move battle. One Piece's world is certainly more interesting, but I just love where MHA is at right now.

I currently enjoy reading MHA over OP. This is not to say OP is garbage! Personally I think MHA is better with depicting action and keeping a good pace.

Plus MHA benefits from not having power creep yet and being able to have clever solutions to fights rather than it becoming a power-move battle. One Piece's world is certainly more interesting, but I just love where MHA is at right now.

I'm excited to see where MHA goes as the world evolves.. So far it is my fourth favorite current manga, after one piece, dorohedoro, and ansatsu kyoushitsu, in that order. Actually I lied, dorohedoro might be first, but that belongs in another thread.

Seesaw15

Far too early to tell. Its a fun take on a familiar concept but it hasn't done anything really daring yet. Either way I'm glad the author finally a hit on his hands.

I just hope that this gets animated by a decent studio when the time comes. Keep it far away from studio pierrot, they're still releasing naruto fillers even though it ended like a year ago :/

Anyways, this manga is just awesome and still has a lot of potential.

cntr

Banned
This feels a lot more tropey and predictable than One Piece, tbh. I personally still need an arc from this that changes my perception from "Average" to "Fucking masterpiece". Like Arlong Park, Alabasta, Water 7, etc.
Cliché tropes aren't bad if executed well. Consider The Belgariad, which is considered one of the best fantasy series around, despite -- or because of -- intentionally using as many cliché tropes as possible.

1)Deku
2)Ochako
3)All Might
4)Todoroki
5)Iida

At this point in One Piece we were around Sanjis arc so i still prefer one piece if we are looking at the same time stamp or currently. MHA is a very respectable second for me tho.

Yes! Popularity poll!

I'm sort of surprised Deku is topping so manu people's list!

1) Fumikage Tokoyami (Tsukuyomi)
2) Shouto Todoroki
3) Ochako Uraraka (Uravity)
4) Toshinori (All-Might)
5) Izuku Midoriya (Deku)

Raxus

I'm sort of surprised Deku is topping so many people's list!
I can see why. Most of Shonen Jump was dominated by idiot protagonists for the longest time so when Deku (and Soma) came on the scene they were a breath of fresh air since they subverted expectations. Deku is a smart nerdy type who works hard to earn his power and Soma is a cocky (to a fault at times) protagonists with the skills to back up that confidence.

Anywho my list

1) Deku
2) Ochako Urakara (Gravity Girl)
3) Shoto Todokiri
4) Tsuyu Asui
5) Fumikami Tokoyami

On the record, I love almost all the characters in the series aside from Bakugou who I have been warming up to recently. Since there haven't been any major arcs apart from Deku's progression this is mostly off a character design and power set standpoint. That being said my favorite villain by far is Tomura Shigaraki. LOVE love love his design. Perhaps one of my all time favorite villain designs. His presence is just plain creepy.

Quick explanation for everyone.

1) Obvious, albeit too easy, first choice. Deku has received the most development, has one of the best powers in the series and has a great cast to bounce off of. I already highlighted above why his character is great but his power is mysterious and I am intrigued to learn more about it. The only thing I have to knock against the character is his full hero design is strictly a joke at this point and I would like a better costume for him in the future. Especially that cowl which serves to be a joke once and then is subsequently blown off and never worn again. I really enjoy him in the standard school uniforms though.

2) Another easy choice for me. Ochako is one of my favorite females in a running manga to date. She is bubbly but dead serious about wanting to become a pro hero. Meeting her equally upbeat parents says a lot to and only endears me to her character more. Her power is a unique one with tons of utility the series seems invested in proving. I love these technical fights in manga (see Shikamaru from Naruto) so I look forward to seeing how her power is used in the future. If the Bakugou fight is any indication then I can't wait what else she has in store. In terms of design I simply like her hero costume. It has a nice space suit vibe to it.

3) I didn't want this list dominated by obvious choices but here we are. Shoto is on here because he is simply OP. 2 really powerful superpowers in one guy and he has had some interesting development to boot. He skyrocketed up my list because he has had a lot of development alongside Deku and recent chapters have me frothing at the mouth in excitement to see the interactions these two get. In my head canon they become BFF's in the manga. I like his design too even if he looks like a straight copy and paste of Zuko from Avatar. But if you accidentally (or purposely) copy from anything at least it was a good design to go off of.

4) Made the list for 2 simple reasons despite having little time spent with her. Great personality and easily in the top 3 character designs in the series. Frog Girl seems to be the first to start to piece together Deku is related to All Might and further showcases her smarts in the villain invasion. Her hero costume is equally inspired and really nails that 'Toad' look. The only problem I have with her is because she has a specific power set I don't know if she can be taken further. Either way it is nice to see a Shonen manga with several notable female characters already. Now we just need a female supervillain...

5) My 'surprise' choice. He mainly makes the list for one main reason. I LOVE his design and power set. He is (almost) inexplicably a bird and his powers have interesting (and funny) effects depending on the lighting around him. Much like Ochako, I look forward to seeing his powers used in creative fights. From what little we have seen of him he seems pretty smart as well, saving his teams but in the second round of the festival. Wish I had more to say about this guy but we will have to wait and see where the series goes from here.

Cliché tropes aren't bad if executed well. Consider The Belgariad, which is considered one of the best fantasy series around, despite -- or because of -- intentionally using as many cliché tropes as possible.

Clichés =/= tropes. They're different things.

Maedhros

It really is. It does have a killer pace and a better cast than One Piece (as in, they're much better used).

I'm pretty burned out on One Piece and I feel that every arc now is like Marineford, with one hundred characters and almost no focus on the main ones, just glimpses and glimpses... meh.

Arabesque

Popularity poll:

1-Todoroki
2-Uraraka (Uravity)
3-Shinsou (Mind Control)
4-Ashido (Ant-Girl/Alien Queen/Pinky)
5- Izuku (Deku)

You guys can also vote in this week's official survey in English shonen jump

http://shonenjump.07-27-weekly-shonen-jump-survey-for-members.sgizmo.com/s3

Kind of a hard choice, given just how many likeable characters this series has. But after the last arc, it's easy to go for any of Todoroki, Deku or Ochako for the no1 pick. They were the characters with the greatest yield of development and great moments all throughout it.

That said, I voted for Hagakure/Invisible Girl in the official poll because I want to see what the author will draw if she's in the top 10 lol.

2) Another easy choice for me. Ochako is one of my favorite females in a running manga to date. She is bubbly but dead serious about wanting to become a pro hero. Meeting her equally upbeat parents says a lot to and only endears me to her character more. Her power is a unique one with tons of utility the series seems invested in proving. I love these technical fights in manga (see Shikamaru from Naruto) so I look forward to seeing how her power is used in the future. If the Bakugou fight is any indication then I can't wait what else she has in store. In terms of design I simply like her hero costume. It has a nice space suit vibe to it.

I really liked what I seen from Uraraka's character throughout the manga, but it was her match with the Bakugo that elevated her higher in my list. When she showed that much tenacity and desire for victory, while also keeping a brave face when she lost. I really hope we get to see more of those types of fights involving her in the future now that she decided she wanted to be more battle ordinated.

3) I didn't want this list dominated by obvious choices but here we are. Shoto is on here because he is simply OP. 2 really powerful superpowers in one guy and he has had some interesting development to boot. He skyrocketed up my list because he has had a lot of development alongside Deku and recent chapters have me frothing at the mouth in excitement to see the interactions these two get. In my head canon they become BFF's in the manga. I like his design too even if he looks like a straight copy and paste of Zuko from Avatar. But if you accidentally (or purposely) copy from anything at least it was a good design to go off of.

The way I see it, Todoroki and Deku would make the best of friends going forward. Deku really helped Todoroki break free from his father's hold and realise that he needs to aim to be the sort of hero he wishes to become. Not the one his father is trying to make him into.

Also, the moment when he went to visit his mother really got me. Beautiful stuff.

I really liked what I seen from Uraraka's character throughout the manga, but it was her match with the Bakugo that elevated her higher in my list. When she showed that much tenacity and desire for victory, while also keeping a brave face when she lost. I really hope we get to see more of those types of fights involving her in the future now that she decided she wanted to be more battle ordinated.

I love her but i sincerely hope she's able to shine later on the fights, and actually wins some. You know, it'd have been so amazing if she actually beated Bakugou that time, so i'm really hoping the female characters can actually have some relevance here so we can break a little the shonen formula. I have faith in this manga, don't know why.

Nightbird

What I liked the most about her fight with Bakougu is that she didn't wanted help from Deku. Remember how he offered her to help in developing a Strategy against him? She declined and wanted to do it on her own, and I have mad Respect for that

I can see why. Most of Shonen Jump was dominated by idiot protagonists for the longest time so when Deku (and Soma) came on the scene they were a breath of fresh air since they subverted expectations. Deku is a smart nerdy type who works hard to earn his power and Soma is a cocky (to a fault at times) protagonists with the skills to back up that confidence.

Nail on the head. I generally dislike protags, and usually always love many of the supporting characters. Deku I actually kind of like. A relatable egghead.

Top Bottom