• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia (Shonen Jump) move over pirates, ninjas, reapers, its Hero time

Crocodile

If Bones does it we're probably getting a single 2-cour show with an anime-original ending. Put Bones on the shit-list as well.

Or they could just do what Soma is doing and end after a major arc and leave room for a future adaptation down the line. Don't be so pessimistic :)

At least if it was Bones it means Toei couldn't do it :)

Grexeno

Or they could just do what Soma is doing and end after a major arc and leave room for a future adaptation down the line. Don't be so pessimistic :)

At least if it was Bones it means Toei couldn't do it :)
Or they could, you know, not.

At least Toei would have a greater chance of not doing an anime-original ending.

Mailbox

At least Toei would have a greater chance of not doing an anime-original ending.

to be completely fair, I think doing an anime original ending is infinitely better than what most any do ( No ending at all).

Personally, if bones did an adaptation, i wouldn't be mad (anyone but toei tbh).

But we probably won't have to worry for a couple of more years.

Crocodile

Anime Original Ending (which we are ASSUMING will be bad) > Shit animation, shit choreography, shit music, shit pacing, shit backgrounds, shit coloring, etc.

Meffer

I'm not a fan of anime original endings from adaptions because most of the time they miss the point of what the manga was intending (FMA as an example).

Moaradin

Last two chapters were pretty awesome. Starting to get the big picture and I can't wait to hear more about All for One. This training is gonna be pretty cool to see how the class progressed since their internships. I hope Ochako becomes a total badass lol

Anime Original Ending (which we are ASSUMING will be bad) > Shit animation, shit choreography, shit music, shit pacing, shit backgrounds, shit coloring, etc.

For sure. I'll take another Soul Eater (which was fucking awesome until filler ending happened) over a mediocre adaption and a non-ending.

cntr

Banned
Deku, you're real cool right now.

Thoughts: The yandere villain girl won't fall for the main character Deku, like it usually goes, but for Bakugou.

For extra misery.

Great chapter for us Kaminari fans he got lots of lines.(though most hilarious was Bakugou just saying Deku in last place, I laughed so much)
CO48qw4WoAQVcOE.png
CO49NwvW8AEGzk4.png

I do wish Bakugous hair style lasted longer than one panel. It was kind of funny and nice change. Entertaining chapter.
CO48JC8XAAAzBzE.png

Big One

Banned
Recent chapter was awesome. We're finally setting up for an endgame of some sort
(hope the manga doesn't end as soon as All for One is defeated though).

Meffer

Recent chapter was awesome. We're finally setting up for an endgame of some sort
(hope the manga doesn't end as soon as All for One is defeated though).
I don't think so. It's really popular so I can imagine it having a good length in story.

Grexeno

I don't think so. It's really popular so I can imagine it having a good length in story.
Even if All for One is dealt with within, say, 5 years, you could always ask "where did Quirks spring up from in the first place?"

Space Aliens, leading to The Wonderful 101

#59 was legit. So
each successive One for All user gets more power than the last?
Man, Deku's gonna be nuts by the time the final showdown rolls around.

Also, MHA's world is surprisingly dark, in the background.

Sounds like it was a pretty shitty time overall to be around when Quirks first began appearing.

Yeah. Civil unrest was a given, but a genuine supervillain takeover was... unexpected.

I do wish that global affairs got a nod somewhere, though. I get that it's manga, but still.

Big One

Banned
Even if All for One is dealt with within, say, 5 years, you could always ask "where did Quirks spring up from in the first place?"

Space Aliens, leading to The Wonderful 101
That's what I'm thinking too but if this manga doesn't keep it's momentum you know how easy it is for WSJ to cancel it like many others, which I don't want to see happening.

I find it reasonable that around the time Quirks started to appear there was someone with an extremely powerful one who blindsided everyone.

Well, yeah, but most superhero 'verses operate on a Superman-esque model where the first major powers are heroes, or at least heroes strong enough to stand toe-to-toe with the villains.

Jarmel

Banned
All Might jacked that guy up.

At least we have solid confirmation know that the strength is passed down from user to user. Thus Deku's peak should be higher than All Might's.

Raxus

We still don't know the big downside of One for All.

Nice to see more big bads emerge. Makes me wonder how big he is planning on making this story.

Grexeno

I'm starting to get sick of Mineta's schtick. The constant perv is a character who seems to be in every single anime that I'm finding I have less and less patience for.

I'm starting to get sick of Mineta's schtick. The constant perv is a character who seems to be in every single anime that I'm finding I have less and less patience for.

He makes for a pretty funny butt monkey in my opinion. I'm all for him keeping this role if it means he's gotta deal with the consequences as well.

SalvaPot

No I'm serious. It's like if people could suddenly do magic and were learning it but some guy lucked into time control or another bullshit thing, what would you even do

This is actually a pretty good point and its something very refreshing.

The setting we have right now for MHA is that, when quirks came up, the normal population was against them, so, for starters, people with quirks got ostracized. In the confusion, this evil guy who had a quirk that can absorb and grants other quirks takes the chance to take those bullied quirk users and rob them or subdue them under his power, gets strong enough to take over japan from the shadows.

Now, what does this mean for the current world? Today, the regular population is in majority quirk users, but the quirkless people live in relative equality, so quirks are not only accepted but encouraged. Why the switch? Well, there are a few theories.

Theory 1, Heroes came up to protect the town from people who abused their quirks. But, if there was a major evil organization pulling the strings then it would make sense that they control the government, and if that is the case, then how farfetched would it be to say that, at least for a moment, heroes worked under orders of this shady organization, maybe without them knowing?

Theory 2, the city was in chaos and lost, until the little brother got stronger and together with allies, fought back on the evil organization. Making them lose their grip on their control over the city. This one makes more sense with the story, since heroes nowadays work for the good of the people.

And here comes another thing I was thinking about, in the context of this story, generations doesn´t necessarily means gaps of father-son, like, say 30 years. In a quirk like One for All it would make sense that the generations could be anywhere from 5 to 20 years between heroes, and since the profession is so dangerous, it make sense it would be inherited early, so its entirely possible that the first generation One-For-All was a friend of Gran Torino, if we assume we got a next generation every few years.

tenchir

We still don't know the big downside of One for All.

Nice to see more big bads emerge. Makes me wonder how big he is planning on making this story.

The downside is that eventually you will hit a point where the successor is not able to handle the power of One for All even if you were using a fraction of it's power.

There is like only 6-7 previous users of OfA, but doesn't it seem like the power increases a lot every time OfA is passed on? Deku is only capable of using 5% of HIS OfA potential, not All Might's potential. Would Deku be able to handle 100% of OfA at his peak if he can only currently do 5% now? Now imagine what his successor will have to go through with even more power added to it once it's passed on.

cntr

Banned
Reminder: everything we've seen All Might do has been at 1/60th of his prime strength, due to the injury he got against TV sensei.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet

I usually dislike that character as well, but something about Mineta is cute and not as weird...I think it's the age (it's usually old men), and the fact, at least to where I'm at, it's subtle and not in your-face.

Meffer

I usually dislike that character as well, but something about Mineta is cute and not as weird...I think it's the age (it's usually old men), and the fact, at least to where I'm at, it's subtle and not in your-face.

He also always gets his come-uppence when he does so it works for me fine. I'm sure he'll get his moment in the spotlight.
Great chapter too. Lots of stuff happening with an awesome backstory! And summer trip! Love how it doesn't get stuck in it's story and moves along.

WarRock

The downside is that eventually you will hit a point where the successor is not able to handle the power of One for All even if you were using a fraction of it's power.

There is like only 6-7 previous users of OfA, but doesn't it seem like the power increases a lot every time OfA is passed on? Deku is only capable of using 5% of HIS OfA potential, not All Might's potential. Would Deku be able to handle 100% of OfA at his peak if he can only currently do 5% now? Now imagine what his successor will have to go through with even more power added to it once it's passed on.
Deku also was not prepared to receive the power, only to not to die, so his current handicap is lower than it should be.

upandaway

Next chapter will definitely be about Bakugou in denial that he has to work together with deku to do anything. This matchup writes itself from start to end

WarRock

A tournament arc against the teachers?
fuck
yes

Every character was so good at this chapter too. Class A girl, Mineta, Kaminari, invisible girl... This cast is good. Hope this manga gets a Biscuit Hammer ending and not a usual-shonen-jump-ending.

Jintor

oh man i thought i was up to date last night but I guess not.

fuck man this shonen is so gud

/edit wow i'm glad this class b kid got called on his bullshit

//edit OH SHIT YES

if there's a crit to be made about this series it's that I keep getting lost in some of the action panelling, it's not always the clearest.

Top Bottom