• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia (Shonen Jump) move over pirates, ninjas, reapers, its Hero time

I don't know how much of it's the translator, but I love the dialogue in this, the new chapter especially.

Kaminari: A guy like you is supposed to be a lovable idiot...! Now who'll want you!!?
Grape Kid: Oh, I dunno. The whole world.

Man, that's some vintage Bakugou. How long's it been?

And yeah, that was some vintage "fuck all y'all, but especially you" Bakugou. I still kinda like him, but he needs to start moving in more of a "jerk with a heart of gold" direction, STAT.

Pairups are hype as hell so far. This is gonna be great.

SalvaPot

I don't know how much of it's the translator, but I love the dialogue in this, the new chapter especially.

And yeah, that was some vintage "fuck all y'all, but especially you" Bakugou. I still kinda like him, but he needs to start moving in more of a "jerk with a heart of gold" direction, STAT.

Pairups are hype as hell so far. This is gonna be great.

I really enjoy Bakugou as he is, but the way he is handled in the official translation is better, less swearing more rudeness.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Normally I hate the bully character, but damn if Baku doesn't do it so well. I don't think he'll turn nicer, I kinda just want him to get more intense... Also what did he learn from Jean-hero? Hope it's some legit stuff and not just how to style all over every bodies asses.

Seesaw15

Favorite panel from this week.
KeemHgU.png

Normally I hate the bully character, but damn if Baku doesn't do it so well. I don't think he'll turn nicer, I kinda just want him to get more intense... Also what did he learn from Jean-hero? Hope it's some legit stuff and not just how to style all over every bodies asses.
Eh, I'd just like him to mellow out a little. He should stay arrogant, rude, brash, and hypercompetitive, but he shouldn't be totally devoid or redeeming personal qualities like he is now. IMO, of course.

Favorite panel from this week.
KeemHgU.png

Yup. Beautiful.

Meffer

Eh, I'd just like him to mellow out a little. He should stay arrogant, rude, brash, and hypercompetitive, but he shouldn't be totally devoid or redeeming personal qualities like he is now. IMO, of course.

Yup. Beautiful.
I wouldn't be surprised if they do have to fight against Baku at some point. The manga has made its point that he's a great fighter.

Meffer

Like, a serious fight? Maybe.

It'd just feel so... telegraphed, I guess. "Asshole turns villain, shocker!"
Now I never said as a villain. Likely he's against the leader of whatever scenario's choice or something. Just like Wonder Blue in W101. This manga is very W101-isqe.

Cosmozone

Not out in my country yet, but consider me interested. I'm always looking forward to a good shonen. If it can match e.g. Toriko, I'm in.

cntr

Banned
Bakugou works because everybody knows he's as asshole. There are too many manga where the asshole rival can just get away with awful crap and get praised, but in MHA, Bakugou is treated like he is.

Jintor

yeah this ain't sasuke syndrome.

one of my favourite things about MHA is... well I've a lot of favourite things, but I really like that it's kinda set up like "Deku is gonna be the scrub tier bullied kid in the new class!" but everyone apart from Baku is super chill. Even in the other classes the only douchebag is that class B mimic guy and he's held in check by his class prez

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Like, a serious fight? Maybe.

It'd just feel so... telegraphed, I guess. "Asshole turns villain, shocker!"

Honestly, I want some sort of morally gray scenerio where Tor and Baku have to fight Deku. Baku and Tor have to do the logically right thing. They need to work with a plan they both know will help the city. But Deku stands against them because it's not morally right. I think the only way they could really clash is if it was a conflict of morals, a lawful v. good thing.

Honestly, I want some sort of morally gray scenerio where Tor and Baku have to fight Deku. Baku and Tor have to do the logically right thing. They need to work with a plan they both know will help the city. But Deku stands against them because it's not morally right. I think the only way they could really clash is if it was a conflict of morals, a lawful v. good thing.

Now that could work. To be lawful or good is a great trope when handled properly. Would play nicely into the "what does it mean to be a hero" thread the series has running lately.

This chapter was perfect, Kaminari page on the cover (best), hilarious comments from Kaminari, and good poses. Will be sad if his fight wont be shown.
CQA8F3zWUAAZqMP.png:large

Bakugou x Midoriya teaming up wasnt that surprising as they clearly have the opposite sort of personality, but the closest friendship in the class. A Bakugou Todoroki would have been a bit more interesting, but I guess the teachers think they wouldnt work together or would fight each other, hm.

Bulzeeb

Episode 23 is up

I'm really digging the characterization of Ochako, and I never noticed her power was because of her fingerpads.

Also I like how Ice/Fire dude is starting to see Deku as a rival, proves more interesting than Kacchan. Wonder what kind of events we are going to see on the Sports Festival.
\

Also, Kouhei Hirokoshi (The author) made this:

10476661_1024056010954533_1006558080335772337_o.jpg

ahha I like how Gintoki is there not giving a fuck.

Man how I wish Saiki had a more up to date translation, its really funny. I see it as the successor of Pyuu to fuku jaguar, another series I always want more of.

Yes I love Saiki Kusuou, JET BLACK WING is best character.

Its needs an actual anime it would be great. The short anime it got was funny (though it did follow the manga)

WarRock

You may know the protagonist from the Jump games, its about a miracle boy who plays the recorder, I believe the first 100 or so episodes have been translated.

latest
Yeah, I do know Jaguar, that's why I got interested in Saiki when you compared the two =)

If you enjoy that, I would suggest you also check out Sexy Commando Gaiden Sugoiyo Masaru-san! It's by the same author with similar humor; great for a quick laugh.
Will check out eventually, thanks!

SalvaPot

Yeah, I do know Jaguar, that's why I got interested in Saiki when you compared the two =)

Will check out eventually, thanks!

Oooh I see! Yeah, sexy commando gaiden also has an anime, its on youtube x). Its from the same author of Pyuu to Fuku Jaguar.

Jintor

Bakugou x Midoriya teaming up wasnt that surprising as they clearly have the opposite sort of personality, but the closest friendship in the class.

it's kind of hilarious that that's true. solely by virtue of being bullied by bakugou throughout his school life, midoriya remains the only person in the class closest to baku. :lol

snorggy

Late to the party here... does anyone have any recommendations about how best to catch up story wise from the end of volume 1 to where the North American Weekly Shonen Jump run started? As far as I know, volume 1 is the only one available.

cHaotix8

Yeah, hopefully this exercise will be a nice reality check for Bakugo. Dude's personality is so unhealthy.

I enjoyed seeing the different team dynamics in this chapter. Tsuyu and Tokoyami seem like a strong team. Todoroki and Yaoyorozu seems like they'll have some hurdles to overcome. Looking forward to how this arc develops.

SalvaPot

Yeah, hopefully this exercise will be a nice reality check for Bakugo. Dude's personality is so unhealthy.

I enjoyed seeing the different team dynamics in this chapter. Tsuyu and Tokoyami seem like a strong team. Todoroki and Yaoyorozu seems like they'll have some hurdles to overcome. Looking forward to how this arc develops.

Yaoyorozu seemed weird, like she doesn´t want to take orders from Todoroki, was it just me?

I like how all pair ups are working together in this chapter.

Yeah, Froppy and Falco especially.

I don't think an asskicking is what Bakugou needs, that'll just make him even worse. He somehow just needs to be made to realize that he is not the be-all, end-all, and more to the point, that people weaker than him are worth saving/helping/not cursing out.

His issue with Deku seems more than that, though.

WarRock

The match ups are really well thought! Hope we see every fight to its conclusion, instead of just seeing the results of the majority of them.

Bakugou needs the daylights knocked out of him. I can't wait until he comes to the realization that Deku has the power to literally obliterate him with a single punch.

Jintor

Yaoyorozu seemed weird, like she doesn´t want to take orders from Todoroki, was it just me?

It's an extension of her self-confidence problems she developed since getting rekt in the school tournie and then not doing any actual fieldwork. Todokori basically says "okay you're gonna be our soliton radar, and then I'll be the distraction and you GTFO because I can probably hold him off" and yaoyo is a bit disappointed over it

Grexeno

Yaoyorozu was one of only two students to get in to UA on a recommendation, so I imagine she's feeling like she isn't coming close to living up to her potential.

Jintor

Especially given that the other was Todoroki, who has been putting in work. Compared to him, she has great grades but, again, hasn't done too much in the field.

Anyway now that we're in Community Hell I better sub to the thread or lose it forever

Top Bottom