• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia (Shonen Jump) move over pirates, ninjas, reapers, its Hero time

NSESN

Really? Felt longer to me.
Then i guess both S3&4 are going to be 1 cour?
If S3 is 1 cour season 4 will definitely be 2 cour. The manga is really far ahead. I honestly want S3 to finish at Bakugou vs Deku, That way S4 will be about the current arc.

Philippo

If S3 is 1 cour season 4 will definitely be 2 cour. The manga is really far ahead. I honestly want S3 to finish at Bakugou vs Deku, That way S4 will be about the current arc.

I don't remember, is Deku vs Bakugou before or after the license exam?

I don't remember, is Deku vs Bakugou before or after the license exam?

The Deku vs Bakugou fight happens after the exam.

If season 3 has 1 cour it will probably end with All might house visit, if it has 2 cour it will probably end with the deku vs bakugou fight.

I think it's best to include the license exam arc with season 3 because depending how long the current arc is, having season 4 with the license arc and the internship arc might be too long for 2 cour.

Granted that is all assuming there will be more seasons.

Philippo

The Deku vs Bakugou fight happens after the exam.

If season 3 has 1 cour it will probably end with All might house visit, if it has 2 cour it will probably end with the deku vs bakugou fight.

I think it's best to include the license exam arc with season 3 because depending how long the current arc is, having season 4 with the license arc and the internship arc might be too long for 2 cour.

Granted that is all assuming there will be more seasons.

So S3=training camp&bakugo's retrieval (1st cour) + provisional license exam (2nd cour) and S4=Overhaul arc (2 courses)? I can dig it.
But it's crazy to me that S3 would have so much good content.

NSESN

So S3=training camp&bakugo's retrieval (1st cour) + provisional license exam (2nd cour) and S4=Overhaul arc (2 courses)? I can dig it.
But it's crazy to me that S3 would have so much good content.

Part of why the camp/rescue arcs were good is that they were fast but with a lot happening,

ahdurian

oh god...i can't handle it...

DCrak08VwAAt2lv.jpg

DCrak05UAAALmaD.jpg

Vizilantes 2

I thought quirkless losers was supposed to be rare, how do we have yet another one in the heroaca universe already?

Good chapter, though could have had someone other than Aizawa, spinoff should give lesser cast members more coverage, though if we did have someone else, I guess the quirkless revelation would have been impossible?

caliph95

Vizilantes 2

I thought quirkless losers was supposed to be rare, how do we have yet another onein the heroaca universe already?

Good chapter, though could have had someone other than Aizawa, spinoff should give lesser cast members more coverage, though if we did have someone else, Iguess the quirkless revelation would have been impossible?
Not really since he's quirk doesn't work on mutation types.

I mean it's obvious reason for aizawa but he jumped the gun

Vizilantes 2

I thought quirkless losers was supposed to be rare, how do we have yet another one in the heroaca universe already?

Good chapter, though could have had someone other than Aizawa, spinoff should give lesser cast members more coverage, though if we did have someone else, I guess the quirkless revelation would have been impossible?

They're 20% of the population, though presumably weighted much more in favour of older generations than younger ones. For Deku's generation it would be rarer than that of his grandparents.

caliph95

I mean there's like what 3 or 4 that we know of if the cop friend is one plus it's illegal or at least discourage use your powers in public not like you can tell

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
New chapter is out.

Edit: We find out how Twice's power works.

Edit 2: And Toga's.

Edit 3: Daaaaaaaaamn Deku. That kick.

Edit 4: That ending. Oh shit! Mirio!

caliph95

This felt short

Glad to see more on the abilities of toga and twice, explains why he has the tape around and I do wonder what it means for camie

So magne is transgender, I know they hints of it besides magne friend and some members of the league calling her big sis think it was toga and twice or one of them

Also that smash chapter with the league is adorable and great

Lunar15

We're spending a lot of time on the villains, particularly through flashbacks. I'm not yet sure what that's adding to this arc. While not necessarily bad, I do feel that it's odd to just now learn about Toga/Twice's powers after they appear to have already done their part in this operation. Just kinda deflates the tension of the arc. The last few chapters felt a little hard to follow, even though all that's happened in the present is that toga and twice failed to do their job, pissed off the wall Yakuza guy, and then Deku was able to pinpoint where he was using his angry retorts.

NSESN

Really liked this chapter, from Toga and Twice relationship with the Yakuza, to Deku the mole opening the spot so Aizawa can stop Mimic, and that last panel with Mirio is too much, please don't die/lose your quirk.

BTW, about that guy with the quirk like Shinsou's, what if he made Ryukyu go against the girls in the entrance. I was thinking how Ryukyu was so powerful that she coud beat any thug that Overhaul would send, but if they somehow brainwashed her it would be very interesting what the 3 girls would do to stop her.

We're spending a lot of time on the villains, particularly through flashbacks. I'm not yet sure what that's adding to this arc. While not necessarily bad, I do feel that it's odd to just now learn about Toga/Twice's powers after they appear to have already done their part in this operation. Just kinda deflates the tension of the arc. The last few chapters felt a little hard to follow, even though all that's happened in the present is that toga and twice failed to do their job, pissed off the wall Yakuza guy, and then Deku was able to pinpoint where he was using his angry retorts.
It like it. The League went form a bucnh of evil kids to me to true partners in crime for me. It will make their battles against the heroes more impactful in the future.

caliph95

At least she wasn't treated as a joke

It does fit with them being bunch of outsiders
Though I have no idea how progressive the world is

Trojita

i fucking love Horikoshi's panel work. Seen specifically here in this chapter with the yakuza guy falling in between the panels.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
I can say a lot of stuff right now, but time and place and such and despite popular belief, I don't always like being a buzzkill. Anyways did anyone else think Toga's art seemed off in the first half? Her head seemed small and her body a little too slim. It reminded me of the MHA Vigilante design more than Hiroshiki's

LotusHD

Banned
I can say a lot of stuff right now, but time and place and such and despite popular belief, I don't always like being a buzzkill. Anyways did anyone else think Toga's art seemed off in the first half? Her head seemed small and her body a little too slim. It reminded me of the MHA Vigilante design more than Hiroshiki's

Huh? Just say what you wanna say lol

She also didn't have a nose for a minute or maybe she's just copying stain

Her new crush is Krillin

Trojita

It's cool man. Say what you want. I thought it was a weird chapter too. I also noticed the deformed look of Toga.

FlowersisBritish

Huh? Just say what you wanna say lol

It's cool man. Say what you want. I thought it was a weird chapter too. I also noticed the deformed look of Toga.

Alright, but I know people aren't going to like hearing it. 1. I think Menege's character has been handled pretty poorly tbh. Sure, not clad in the usual gay stereotypes you see, but they are one of the first LGBQT characters in the manga, and more importantly, one of the first characters to die in the manga, which is an issue with LGBQT characters in particular, where they're almost always the first to die to raise the stakes for the heteronormative characters. They don't get points with me if they die early on. 2. I actually think it's really shitty to reveal Menege is a "she" after they die. It just compounds and makes #1above a lot worse. 3. Part of representation is visibility, which a lot of people don't seem to get. Menege gets zero points from me because they weren't visibly trans, if anything, they weren't visible at all, with little to none feminine characteristics that could have hinted to me, they were trans. It's like the Dumbledore is gay thing, a lot of people outside of the LGBQT community championed it as great! but in the community, people were annoyed because J.K. Rowling didn't write Dumbledore as gay in her books; she just kind of said it after the fact in an outside comment. Visibility is really important to LGBQT characters. 4. This is one of those cases where I think it's a translation error tbh. Where twice tends to say the opposite of what he means so instead of calling Menege a "he" twice went with "she" which makes more sense because I haven't seen really anything that would have made me personally believe Menege is trans outside of a flashback where they talked to an actually visible transwoman. In a similar vein, calling a gay man "she" is a pretty popular joke in general (especially in Japanese media) so I wouldn't be surprised if that was a little joke said by the character that tends to tell jokes.

So sorry, but honestly Menege isn't that great or progressive in all honesty ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Her new crush is Krillin

He does get his ass beat on a lot. Also he's short. He's definitely Toga's type.

Trojita

Alright, but I know people aren't going to like hearing it. 1. I think Menege's character has been handled pretty poorly tbh. Sure, not clad in the usual gay stereotypes you see, but they are one of the first LGBQT characters in the manga, and more importantly, one of the first characters to die in the manga, which is an issue with LGBQT characters in particular, where they're almost always the first to die to raise the stakes for the heteronormative characters. They don't get points with me if they die early on. 2. I actually think it's really shitty to reveal Menege is a "she" after they die. It just compounds and makes #1above a lot worse. 3. Part of representation is visibility, which a lot of people don't seem to get. Menege gets zero points from me because they weren't visibly trans, if anything, they weren't visible at all, with little to none feminine characteristics that could have hinted to me, they were trans. It's like the Dumbledore is gay thing, a lot of people outside of the LGBQT community championed it as great! but in the community, people were annoyed because J.K. Rowling didn't write Dumbledore as gay in her books; she just kind of said it after the fact in an outside comment. Visibility is really important to LGBQT characters. 4. This is one of those cases where I think it's a translation error tbh. Where twice tends to say the opposite of what he means so instead of calling Menege a "he" twice went with "she" which makes more sense because I haven't seen really anything that would have made me personally believe Menege is trans outside of a flashback where they talked to an actually visible transwoman. In a similar vein, calling a gay man "she" is a pretty popular joke in general (especially in Japanese media) so I wouldn't be surprised if that was a little joke said by the character that tends to tell jokes.

So sorry, but honestly Menege isn't that great or progressive in all honesty ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

He does get his ass beat on a lot. Also he's short. He's definitely Toga's type.

You are getting into an area that is a little contentious; who can call themselves Trans. Or that trans people have to look a certain way. The character identifies themselves as a woman. They apparently didn't go through any sex reassignment like Tiger from Wild Pussy Cats who did.

FlowersisBritish

You are getting into an area that is a little contentious; who can call themselves Trans. Or that trans people have to look a certain way. The character identifies themselves as a woman. They apparently didn't go through any sex reassignment like Tiger from Wild Pussy Cats who did.

On one hand, you're right and that no one has to dress a certain way, and sex changes are certainly not a requirement to ones personal identity. But the fact is every single one of the many trans people I know do tend to dress and physically present themselves in certain ways. That's kind of the point. All the transmen I know either tend to cut their hair short, wear binders to hide their breasts, wear masculine clothes like flannel (or at the very least androgynous clothes). The transwomen I know try to make themselves look feminine either by buying bras and stuffing them, wearing flattering (but usually kind of flowing and hiding) dresses or other feminine clothes ( know someone who really likes scarfs because she has a long neck and is self-conscious about her adam's apple), or apply makeup to soften their masculine features. Obviously, they don't do all of these every single day, I know a transwoman who applies makeup but chose not to shave her facial hair, but the point is they do these things to make themselves more comfortable in bodies they're not normally comfortable in. I didn't really see Menege do any of these things. As a point of contrast, Tora, despite still wearing a dress, does come across as very masculine with a strong jawline and intense muscles (Though, while I think Tora is certainly better than Menege, I do have some problems, but I think that character actually benefits from the argument that not all transpeople chose to present themselves in the same way.)

Edit: I should probably clarify something because I didn't really address the whole "You are deciding who is and is not able to be trans" thing. In a real world scenario, you're right and that's super shitty, but this is fiction, and more importantly, a fictional representation of a trans character. What I'm trying to do is offer criticism of the character based off of my personal experiences and what I know my transfriends look for in their limited fictional representation. The easiest way to explain it is that there is a noticeable difference to LGBQT people between characters written by a straight person and characters written by a LGBQT person. The author's characters, while better than a lot, are still noticeably in the former category.

FlowersisBritish

Flowers, you have the enter key for a reason.

Goddamn use it.

lol I actually prefer long paragraphs :p I really dislike the look of short to mid length paragraphs on neogaf because the browser tends to be sooooo wide

And good god, Flowers, you are talking out of your ass on a subject you don't understand well enough.

I literally live with this subject. This subject we are talking about lives twelve feet away from me right now napping and every four days they come and shout about all this stuff I just typed out.

NSESN

I think Flower has a point, but I disagree with it. Not because he is wrong, but more of a case that we don't know much of Magne's life. We don't know what she did outside of and before joining the league.

I think Flower has a point, but I disagree with it. Not because he is wrong, but more of a case that we don't know much of Magne's life. We don't know what she did outside of and before joining the league.

Which to be fair, is in itself part of the problem. At the very least it's a rather awkward reveal. That said it does indicate Horikoshi is much more willing to feature trans characters than... well, basically any other shonen, and hell, a vast swathe of media in general. Hopefully that can manifest in more positive representation that ultimately isn't too obscured or after the fact, but until then it is fair to criticise what he has done so far, even while giving it some praise for the context in which it sits.

FlowersisBritish

I feel like the talk of trans characteristics did distract from my big thing of Menege being dead. A lot of any backstory is kind of mute by Menege being dead. The trans community has waaaaay too many fictional characters who don't survive to the end of the story. That said, to bring this waaaaaaaaay back always open to other possibilities.

Which to be fair, is in itself part of the problem. At the very least it's a rather awkward reveal. That said it does indicate Horikoshi is much more willing to feature trans characters than... well, basically any other shonen, and hell, a vast swathe of media in general. Hopefully that can manifest in more positive representation that ultimately isn't too obscured or after the fact, but until then it is fair to criticise what he has done so far, even while giving it some praise for the context in which it sits.

I've always been iffy about giving people credit for atleast trying, but that's more a personal thing. While representation is still pretty poor, it has improved to the point I'm hesitant to give people credit for just trying. Which, I know I'm coming across as harsh, MHA does have some good for me. Mostly, I would give more points for to the work if we doubled back to the transwoman in Menge's flashback (or if its revealed that's Tora, which would be a pretty good story turn tbh).

Edit: also the awkward reveal does lend me to think translation error (keep in mind; this is the group notorious for it these last few chapters), because I do honestly think the author is better than revealing a character is trans via someone else's dialogue.

kirblar

I literally live with this subject. This subject we are talking about lives twelve feet away from me right now napping and every four days they come and shout about all this stuff I just typed out.
We're not talking about your friend. We're talking about a fictional person who does represent a subset of older trans women who don't actively transition medically due to lack of resources/age/etc. (I can think of a few real-life examples off the top of my head.)
Given that Magne is part of the Villains group, a lack of access to medical resources makes sense as part of her background.

When you talk about "all the trans women/men" you know, you're not considering the ones you don't. You're critical of Magne's character explicitly because they're not presenting as gender-conforming, and that's not cool.

(I think you can definitely criticize Tora for being a bit ridiculous and unrealistic, even for a series as out-there as MHA (I don't think many Trans men would be comfortable going back into feminine clothes like that post-transiiton!) but the character doesn't seem to be done in bad faith.)

As a side note, I'm not surprised at the attempt at representation, considering that the author's mentioned that he wants to keep this going a long time and age them up into thornier issues. Also because I suspected he has been writing Bakugou as a gay character since at least the aftermath of the rescue arc.

I've always been iffy about giving people credit for atleast trying, but that's more a personal thing. While representation is still pretty poor, it has improved to the point I'm hesitant to give people credit for just trying. Which, I know I'm coming across as harsh, MHA does have some good for me. Mostly, I would give more points for to the work if we doubled back to the transwoman in Menge's flashback (or if its revealed that's Tora, which would be a pretty good story turn tbh).

Edit: also the awkward reveal does lend me to think translation error (keep in mind; this is the group notorious for it these last few chapters), because I do honestly think the author is better than revealing a character is trans via someone else's dialogue.

Fair points all around. We'll see when the official translation hits I suppose.

Magne gets points for being a hugely nonjudgemental portrayal of a trans person, but not a lot because it's not really explored, then loses a bunch for being disposable which is a huge problem for trans characters.

Tora's a better example, but we need it discussed on-panel to some extent to count.

FlowersisBritish

Given that Magne is part of the Villains group, a lack of access to medical resources makes sense as part of her background.

When you talk about "all the trans women/men" you know, you're not considering the ones you don't. You're critical of Magne's character explicitly because they're not presenting as gender-conforming, and that's not cool.

(I think you can definitely criticize Tora for being a bit ridiculous and unrealistic, even for a series as out-there as MHA (I don't think many Trans men would be comfortable going back into feminine clothes like that post-transiiton!) but the character doesn't seem to be done in bad faith.)

1. I need to re-emphasize this again: I am not saying trans people need to receive medical surgery/pills/or anything to truly transition. One does not need a doctor's note, a whole wardrobe, or even a certificate of approval to prove they are trans.

2. I am also trying really hard not speak for the whole trans community because you're right, gender roles are bullshit. I am simply listing off the experiences of the many trans people I've met post their transitioning. And again, you're right, a transwoman does not necessarily have to dress in traditionally feminine clothes to be a transwoman, BUT Menege never really showed themselves to be non-comforming to gender roles before, and I think that's important to the character if the point was they're a transwoman not conforming to traditonal gender roles. If there was a scene where someone tried to put Shigraki into a dress, he said he wasn't going to do that, and Menege said why not, the idea men can't wear dresses is stupid, then yeah, that's a different story but we don't have such a scene. This is kind of argument is why visibility is important.

3. I agree with you about Tora, but I was hesitant to say that because of your second point, where transpeople don't need to conform to specific styles of dress if they don't want to. The difference for me between Tora and Menge is again, visibility, where Tora is established as a transcharacter (If I remember right, in a little personal bio in the volume which isn't the best, but I think is better than with Menege), so I'm a lot more lenient to believe they're not conforming to traditional gender roles. .

Top Bottom