• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia (Shonen Jump) move over pirates, ninjas, reapers, its Hero time

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
I feel that just because Magne is trans doesn't mean she should gain the immunity of dying in the story.

Yeah but there is a really bad habit of media killing off its one lgbqt characters for dramatic effect. While leaving the 20 dozen straight characters to live and grieve for the character. You're right, it shouldn't give them immunity, but it would be nice to have one live till the end for change.

Little aside: if you want to see a show doing a lot of good LGBQT representation to get an idea of how to do this stuff right, watch Black Sails, shit's great
except for the pretty iffy stuff about race.

I feel that just because Magne is trans doesn't mean she should gain the immunity of dying in the story.

Immunity, no, but trans people being disposable or being violence magnets is a major trope, and problematic as hell.

It's not the end of the world in and of itself, but it's not in and of itself. Hardly a damning indictment of the series, mind, but not great either.

Veelk

Banned

And black people shouldn't get immunity to liking fried chicken or watermelon in stories either, but if you're not smart about it, doing that is going to send the wrong message.

FlowersisBritish

Kay but no guys, you all need to shut up because FA did some translations of some bonus panels where the VA do some training on an island and it is cutest thing I've seen all day. THIS is the dumb meaningless VA adventures I've been wanting to see!

caliph95

Kay but no guys, you all need to shut up because FA did some translations of some bonus panels where the VA do some training on an island and it is cutest thing I've seen all day. THIS is the dumb meaningless VA adventures I've been wanting to see!
I wish more are talking about that

That was hilarious

Regarding Magne, isn't Magne a pun in Japanese, with the "ne" part being sister? If so, then Magne being transgender was kind of there from the start. I thought that's why Viz's translations were always kind of weird because they translated the pun.

I would still think bakugou would end up with ochako. Todoroki and midoriya are more of the gay and bi (mido) characters. Kirishima seems written that way too, and kaminari.

??? Uravity's development of feelings for Deku is one of the best parts of the manga for me personally.

The fact that Toga has her blood makes intrigued on how the author will use that down the line and if Uravity will continue to deny her feelings for the sake of their profession.

I prefer to refer to the characters by their hero names. Makes it easier to keep track of them. Some of them have similar sounding names so its easy to mix them up.

caliph95

??? Uravity's development of feelings for Deku is one of the best parts of the manga for me personally.

The fact that Toga has her blood makes intrigued on how the author will use that down the line and if Uravity will continue to deny her feelings for the sake of their profession.

I prefer to refer to the characters by their hero names. Makes it easier to keep track of them. Some of them have similar sounding names so its easy to mix them up.
82d.png

Puruzi

Banned
I would still think bakugou would end up with ochako. Todoroki and midoriya are more of the gay and bi (mido) characters. Kirishima seems written that way too, and kaminari.

But Deku very clearly likes girls(Gravity), we've seen as much from the 3rd chapter, and she likes him back.

I know about your bait and all but even this is too much.

But Deku very clearly likes girls(Gravity), we've seen as much from the 3rd chapter, and she likes him back.

I know about your bait and all but even this is too much.

Just... don't.

-

Bakugou/Kirishima is something I could actually see happening if MHA manages to get to editor-proof status and Horikoshi is allowed to have them graduate highschool and move into more mature themes like he's talked about.

Bakugou acknowledging ochako is someone not clicking in people's minds, or him using her name? I dont think people should close their minds to this outcome, its not like writers havent blindsided and tricked people, see sasusaku, or angry vegeta ending up with someone or even ichigo not bring with rukia.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

Toga mentioned she hadn't gotten much blood off of Uraraka, so I wonder much she even has left after the license exam.

Bakugou acknowledging ochako is someone not clicking in people's minds, or him using her name? I dont think people should close their minds to this outcome, its not like writers havent blindsided and tricked people, see sasusaku, or angry vegeta ending up with someone or even ichigo not bring with rukia.

Thats a bit of reaching imo but lesser ships have happened with no evidence. You do you I say.

I find Bakugou and Uravity a bad couple because it reminds me too much of Orihime and Grimmjow pairing or any kind of pairing where the male is a rude ass bitch with a mostly sweet girl that has to go out of her way to find his "golden heart" under his cruddy personality. It could happen but the author would have to develop it well.

In the mean time, I'm rooting for Deku and Uravity to at least go out and see if it works out. I think it was set in stone when she changed the meaning of Deku and pretty much gave him his hero name.

I also support the idea of Bakugo and Red Riot being more than friends but thats if the author wishes to add a gay couple.

The manga isn't about romance but it is fun to discuss this stuff as long as it doesn't get out of hand and into shipping wars.

As for the latest chapter, liking that Lemillion has found the big bad and that annoying maze dude has been defeated after a betrayal. Can't help but think that Toga and Twice are planning something extra as revenge for their comrade's death and Toruma will appear to gloat after this is all over.

LotusHD

Banned
So the next Splatfest for Splatoon 2 is flight v. invisibility, and a lot of people are assuming those that would pick invisibility would be total creeps about it, and be inclined towards other malicious actions. Reminded me of that one guy with the power to brainwash people, where people assume that he's gonna grow up to be a villain. D:

Found it amusing lol

NSESN

So the next Splatfest for Splatoon 2 is flight v. invisibility, and a lot of people are assuming those that would pick invisibility would be total creeps about it, and be inclined towards other malicious actions. Reminded me of that one guy with the power to brainwash people, where people assume that he's gonna grow up to be a villain. D:

Found it amusing lol

Yep, it is just like the people thinking that Tooru is the traitor just because she is invisible.

caliph95

Actually you're right for introverts (like me) that's great

Though flying is still better

But I guess I learned my lesson Thanks Shinso

LotusHD

Banned
Actually you're right for introverts (like me) that's great

Though flying is still better

But I guess I learned my lesson Thanks Shinso

Lmao, nice.

That is a good point you just touched on though. Flight is basically a power for extroverts, while invisibility is definitely something an introvert would want to have.

caliph95

Probably the intentio of the event

Which is funny considering Tooru is the opposite of that

Also Btw unless that wasn't a quirk the crow guy of the yakuza was using how did twice and toga fooled him

Found it amusing lol

I actually think the brainwashing guy is the top guy for being a traitor. Its basically the author putting attention away from him by making his past sympathetic to the reader using his fight with Deku and how people make assumptions based on quirk powers.

I know Denki is a top favorite for traitor and so is Tooru due to their powers and the speculation people have about them.

But to me, its very unlikely that Denki could predict everything for the Villains and send GPS to them based on his quirk powers at all times.

That moment when Shinso was walking with Eraserhead down the hall and walked past Deku had me super suspicious. It was right before the camping trip too.

I like the exposition of the league. You know, make the villains less disposable and more important, i love it.

And Twice and Toga are really memorable, so i'm pretty fine with how everything's going down now.

FlowersisBritish

Regarding Magne, isn't Magne a pun in Japanese, with the "ne" part being sister? If so, then Magne being transgender was kind of there from the start. I thought that's why Viz's translations were always kind of weird because they translated the pun.

Since I brought it up, I just want to briefly touch on that being really good! That being the kind of visible sign I really wish they brought up in translations but alas! sometimes the world fails you in small ways

Hypron

I don't think so. Nee (long e) can mean sister, but magne's name is just magune (short e) written in katakana.

something something horikoshi is a westaboo

I mean if you wanna get technical Japan's been doing this for decades.

1447203602592-1.gif

Man, I know the series' big inspiration is western cape stuff, but I do wonder if a proper toku hero will show up at some point. Closest thing I can think of is Mount Lady with the Ultraman approach to fighting bad guys.

Meffer

1447203602592-1.gif

Man, I know the series' big inspiration is western cape stuff, but I do wonder if a proper toku hero will show up at some point. Closest thing I can think of is Mount Lady with the Ultraman approach to fighting bad guys.
The PussyCats. They have a theme.

Philippo

1447203602592-1.gif

Not the kick, but the composition and the giant SMASH behind it.

NSESN

I think I understand what is the meaning of Mirio wanting to talk witth Overhaul. Remember when Overhaul asked both him and Deku to talk with in the alley but he backed out? Well now he is basically saying that he wants to have that talk. Basically Mirio is sorry for baking out before and is trying to correct his mistakes.

caliph95

Heroes in Mha at least in Japan are glorified cops or civil servants (skilled ones) who can use their powers and more freedom to operate with goofy customes and nicknames

Plus more marketable and popular which Mount Lady loves

Bowl0l

I think I understand what is the meaning of Mirio wanting to talk witth Overhaul. Remember when Overhaul asked both him and Deku to talk with in the alley but he backed out? Well now he is basically saying that he wants to have that talk. Basically Mirio is sorry for baking out before and is trying to correct his mistakes.
We already seen Mirio's fighting strength, so now the focus might be in his resolve to save another person. Or probably he's trying to gauge Overhaul and Eri's state of mind to see what moves he couldn't use, e.g. Eri will consciously stay out of the battlefield, Overhaul doesn't use a human shield.

Top Bottom