• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia (Shonen Jump) move over pirates, ninjas, reapers, its Hero time

Mh? Since when is this a thing? I haven't noticed it.

Some people thinks this because Bakugou's most healthy relationship so far is with Kirishima and Mineta made a joke about him swinging the other way. I personally would really love it if Bakugou was LGBT plus Kiribaku is cute (Tho this is a shonen so that's unlikely)

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
The Kirishima liking "manly men" doesn't help but I doubt it what hiroshiki meant

From what I've heard, liking "manly men" in Japan is seen as a homoerotic thing, like the Cho Aniki games. Brooding characters are seen as heterosexual.

Though that was years ago, values may have changed.

From what I've heard, liking "manly men" in Japan is seen as a homoerotic thing, like the Cho Aniki games. Brooding characters are seen as heterosexual.

Though that was years ago, values may have changed.

It can also be seen as being traditional, something which Kirishima's character is wholly wrapped in. He has a traditional power set (being super tough), a traditional idol, and interned with a traditional hero.

I mean, I see some promise in the pairing - there's certainly some degree of friendship there, given the focus in the rescue arc - but unless anything solid is confirmed, it could go either way.

Why make a poster of when my Todoroki isnt at his best, dissapointing :(

DJHOR3FUMAA9_Cs.jpg

The Kirishima liking "manly men" doesn't help but I doubt it what hiroshiki meant

The fact that on Kirishima's Japanese bio page his favorite thing is apparently Kouha. I had to look this up and this is what I found.

Kōha in Meiji student culture referred to the faction of students who were showing their "toughness" by wearing the more casual, rough, and traditionally Japanese bushi style of clothing, compared to Nanpa who were dandies affecting an elegant, European-style fashion and enjoyed courting girls. Many of the Kōha students, especially those from southwest Japan, took up the nanshoku culture from the Tokugawa period and engaged in male-male sexuality since they believed that relationships with females would feminize them and make them "soft".

so that probably doesn't help.

NSESN

My mood was destroyed more than I thought it would be. And there is OP today to improve it.
Hope Deku defeats the beaten up Overhaul quickly so we can know what will happen to Mirio.

As expected Mirio lost his quirk but the guy is still a badass. I wonder if we are going to get a chapter of Deku contemplating giving One For All to Mirio but not doing it in the end
because he will fight for both of them or something like that.

wwm0nkey

As expected Mirio lost his quirk but the guy is still a badass. I wonder if we are going to get a chapter of Deku contemplating giving One For All to Mirio but not doing it in the end
because he will fight for both of them or something like that.

You know that is exactly how it's going to go

NSESN

I hope Hatsume gives Mirio some support items to Mirio and he becomes number 1 quirkless. That or Tamaki becomes the top hero.

Dynasty

Those bullets are going to be very important in the future, the Heroes are going to save the girl, stopping the villains for making more. Overhaul will escape with the bullets and they will be a major plot point in the future. Kind of like Supernatural with
the Colt when the bullets were limited, except the villains will have it.

Also going to be interesting if there are some darker parts of the goverment who would want to use the little girl to make more quirk destroying bullets and drugs. In this chapter they mention the Yakuza dont have the resources to mass produce this but the goverment could.

Those bullets are going to be very important in the future, the Heroes are going to save the girl, stopping the villains for making more. Overhaul will escape with the bullets and they will be a major plot point in the future. Kind of like Supernatural with
the Colt when the bullets were limited, except the villains will have it.

Also going to be interesting if there are some darker parts of the goverment who would want to use the little girl to make more quirk destroying bullets and drugs. In this chapter they mention the Yakuza dont have the resources to mass produce this but the goverment could.

That'd be an interesting point, not sure if the series would tackle it. After all, on paper that would potentially be a way of ensuring dangerous villains don't retain their quirks. On the other hand, that could also be a gross violation of civil rights, and it's unclear where the line would be drawn on what crimes are applicable for such. Plus, well, what it could mean doing to Eri...

Dynasty

That'd be an interesting point, not sure if the series would tackle it. After all, on paper that would potentially be a way of ensuring dangerous villains don't retain their quirks. On the other hand, that could also be a gross violation of civil rights, and it's unclear where the line would be drawn on what crimes are applicable for such. Plus, well, what it could mean doing to Eri...

Yep, it would be really interesting, I definetly want them to talk about it at the very least, if they dont tackle it heavily.
Another plot point they could do is some sort of anti-quirk movement that want to eliminate all quirks. Think Amon and the Equalists from The Legend of Korra. Now that we know quirks can be destroyed they could have so many interesting plot points.

Fuck this chapter was amazing, Mirio loosing his quirk but still being a Hero like Midoriya in the beggining.

Meffer

This is a really interesting comparison to Deku during the Camp Arc. He fought a guy, the strongest guy out of the bunch, and even protected a little kid then went above and beyond despite his injuries and helped his fellow students.

NSESN

This is a really interesting comparison to Deku during the Camp Arc. He fought a guy, the strongest guy out of the bunch, and even protected a little kid then went above and beyond despite his injuries and helped his fellow students.
Mirio went beyond tho. He was 4 vs 1, got his quirk erased and still was able to defend her for more 5 minutes.

Mirio went beyond tho. He was 4 vs 1, got his quirk erased and still was able to defend her for more 5 minutes.

I think in that case that's just to show how deep the parallel runs. Either of these kids could have been a damned good successor to All Might.

NSESN

And can tank a punch from All Might (Shiggy wasted him)

Still Mirio unlike Deku was Quirkless and was fighting Overhaul who is quite strong in a fight

This is what I meant. He didn't stop to think: I am quirkless now what I do. He just and went attacking Overhaul because he knew that if he left an opening he and Eri would be fucked,

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
There's no real way to draw a direct comparison between what Mirio is going through here and what Deku dealt with. Deku's opponent was ridiculously strong serial murderer that wanted to murder the kid Deku was trying to help. It was a seemingly hopeless uninitiated encounter by someone with the strength and agility that absolutely outclassed the power Deku was so far able to harness. Mirio's facing multiple enemies; one that cripples your sense of balance, a guy with a useful non-offensive quirk shooting a gun, an aide, and the most dangerous guy that you are fucked if he even gets a chance to touch you with his hands and can reform the ground your are standing on to fuck you over.

Once depowered Mirio throws the aide at Overhaul, a useful attack tactic that Deku also employs. From the distraction Mirio is able to get a solid job powered by his own normal powered muscles on Chisaki's right arm. Overhaul tries to get his left hand on Mirio, which he dodges. During the dodge Mirio is able to get a left uppercut on Overhaul. This is all overwhelmingly a solid effort from someone that lost an ability they relied on for virtual immunity while still supposedly under the effects of the imbalance quirk. Mirio was likely absolutely fucked near the end. Overhaul was able to get a spike to impale Mirio in the chest and likely would have been done for soon if not for Deku busting through the wall right next to Overhaul.

They are both amazing achievements in their own right. The only discrepancy is with "manga" time where somehow the fight lasted five minutes since he was dequirked, but the movements seen in the panels would take a span of less than a minute.

NSESN

I think the next chapters are going to be very divisive.
I have seen some people saying that if Mirio stays quirkless it would be shitty writing because Deku would have a clear path to become number 1.
I also have seen people saying that if Mirio recovers the arc will have no meaning because there won't be any loss in the side of the heroes. Specially because they already think the yakuza weren't a big threat so far.
I am of the opinion that Mirio should not recover his quirk, and if he recovers, it should be a long recover that would take until Deku graduation to complete.

caliph95

I have seen some people saying that if Mirio stays quirkless it would be shitty writing because Deku would have a clear path to become number 1.
I also have seen people saying that if Mirio recovers the arc will have no meaning because there won't be any loss in the side of the heroes. Specially because they already think the yakuza weren't a big threat so far.
I am of the opinion that Mirio should not recover his quirk, and if he recovers, it should be a long recover that would take until Deku graduation to complete.
How ? he is not even the best in his class and there is still Suneater and Nejire who are better than most pros and the top ten ranked heroes especially Endeavor

Plus I doubt Todoroki and Bakugo will be far behind

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Clear path to number 1? There is a bajillion heroes still ahead of him. Mirio was regarded as being better than a lot of pro heroes, but that includes a lot of the less remarkable heroes we've seen introduced.

Squishy3

They are both amazing achievements in their own right. The only discrepancy is with "manga" time where somehow the fight lasted five minutes since he was dequirked, but the movements seen in the panels would take a span of less than a minute.
I'm pretty sure that the bit after he uppercuts Overhaul, the part where it says "5 minutes have passed since he'd been shot" that time has progressed off panel between that page and the next, as the next panel shows him being impaled through the lag and pierced in the stomach and all the spikes on the ground.

NSESN

How ? he is not even the best in his class and there is still Suneater and Nejire who are better than most pros and the top ten ranked heroes especially Endeavor

Plus I doubt Todoroki and Bakugo will be far behind

Clear path to number 1? There is a bajillion heroes still ahead of him. Mirio was regarded as being better than a lot of pro heroes, but that includes a lot of the less remarkable heroes we've seen introduced.

I agree, just saying what I've saw some people saying in other forums.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Just waiting for the author to introduce the quirk-bender character.

I'm actually waiting for something like an Akira or a Mob Psycho 100 level quirk user who is basically so powerful they are a threat to everyone around them just by being there even if they aren't a bad person.

I have seen some people saying that if Mirio stays quirkless it would be ****ty writing because Deku would have a clear path to become number 1.

Seems like all outcomes are a lose lose outcome. Im surprised so many people looked up to Rock Lee when even he recovered, Ichigo as well, so the path is clear that recovery ought to take place.

The first situation is weird, I mean, Midoriya is already going to become the number 1 hero...

Linari

Neo Member
I guess I'm the only one who doesn't like this chapter at all...

First it was All Might not dying and now this, really wished that the author would pull the trigger, but I guess it's really just a shonen thing.

Really disappointed at the moment.

Top Bottom