• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia (Shonen Jump) move over pirates, ninjas, reapers, its Hero time

NIce, Todoroki and Midoriya.
DI_SNVWUQAAvPwj.jpg

Moaradin

Gotta say, I'm really liking how the anime is doing the Exam arc. Could be a pretty nice improvement by the end. Seeing the anime willing to make pretty big changes to the structure of this arc has me hopeful for some of the later manga arcs that could use some expanding.

caliph95

Gotta say, I'm really liking how the anime is doing the Exam arc. Could be a pretty nice improvement by the end. Seeing the anime willing to make pretty big changes to the structure of this arc has me hopeful for some of the later manga arcs that could use some expanding.
*cough*Kirishima *cough*

Kirishima mini arc have all the right pieces built. It just needed to be assembled better. The flashback just need to be moved to before he jumps in front of Fat or after Fat defeats Rappa.

Perhaps during the internship? Like Fatgum asks him why he got into heroics, which could then be used as a callback for why Fatgum is so proud about their heroic spirit.

kirblar

Ran across the Kaminari traitor theory yesterday - and one thing that just hit me that points towards it (or really, any male 1-A classmember) is that having a student heel-turn on them would open a spot for Hitoshi to take his place. (and be a parallel - student with "heroic" powers goes bad, replaced by a student w/ "villainous" ones.)

MrCinos

Ran across the Kaminari traitor theory yesterday - and one thing that just hit me that points towards it (or really, any male 1-A classmember) is that having a student heel-turn on them would open a spot for Hitoshi to take his place. (and be a parallel - student with "heroic" powers goes bad, replaced by a student w/ "villainous" ones.)

After seeing him with Aizawa, I'm pretty sure he's already working on his transferral with some help from the teacher. When 2nd year starts it'd be the best moment to bring him in A class and I really doubt that we are going to get traitor revealed before that.

kirblar

Yeah, filler arcs aren't needed, they just need to let the show be a 1/2 quarters per year thing and not overdo it like they did w/ AOT. Single-episode extra content fleshing out the side characters would be welcome though.

The author is definitely a fan of foreshadowing, which makes it a lot of fun to think over. Stuff like Bakgou's sexuality, Deku's potentially stolen original Quirk, evil Kaminari - you can see the tracks being laid down well in advance.

caliph95

Yeah, filler arcs aren't needed, they just need to let the show be a 1/2 quarters per year thing and not overdo it like they did w/ AOT. Single-episode extra content fleshing out the side characters would be welcome though.

The author is definitely a fan of foreshadowing, which makes it a lot of fun to think over. Stuff like Bakgou's sexuality, Deku's potentially stolen original Quirk, evil Kaminari - you can see the tracks being laid down well in advance.
I feel like we should wait before we say stuff like this

Veelk

Banned
I'm gonna chime in with the unpopular opinion and say that filler arcs, done well, would be pretty good for MHA. Sort of.

In other shonen, I feel like Filler content would be easier because none of the characters of, say, bleach, matter enough for it to be bad if their characters are messed with. MHA is different in that the major draw is the characters, so if you fuck them up, that's gonna be bad.

However, whats the one thing we ask more of in MHA if not "Can we see more of Character X?"

That's where filler can shine. It can give characters more of these kinds of small moments we are drip fed in the manga. Something utterly inconsequential like...idk, how about Ochako wants to do a small business sort of thing on the side to make some more cash, like helping citizens transport things. Deku and some others come help out. That sort of thing would fit in perfectly provided the characters were written well and with the charm of their canon depictions.

Veelk

Banned
But if it ain't canon, and presumably isn't really needed due to it being a seasonal anime, why would I want it? :p

I hate the canon argument. I strongly argue against the concept of canon as a whole, but even if you want to be a stickler for it, there are so many delightful things that are not produced by the original creator or even a related publisher of any sort, that the world would be worse for it not existing.

Don't desire canon material, desire good material.

kirblar

Alright, catched up until Chapter 120 for now, loving this.

Why wouldn't the traitor be one of the teachers though?
From a mechanical storytelling perspective, a student makes more sense. If a teacher is revealed as a bad guy, it won't cause a lot of angst from either the reader or the student characters. We (and the main characters) aren't emotionally attached to them. If it's a student, though, you get to upset the audience and explore how your characters deal with a more personal betrayal.

In MHA, filler makes sense for two big reasons. The first, like Veelk said, is that MHA characters are actually REALLY GOOD, but generally lack screentime, so filler can make that up. I'd have loved to have gotten something that fleshed out that ending bit with all the girls, for instance.

The second is that it's BREAKNECK fast, and a lot of really cool moments can end up getting passed by, so there's some natural addition points. They kinda screwed it up with the one they had, but if they'd done something that wasn't so Tsuyu-centric, that would've been fantastic.

Take the upcoming Forest Lodge arc. You could totally do an episode expanding on the trek to the lodge from the bus.

BlizzKrut

Banned
In MHA, filler makes sense for two big reasons. The first, like Veelk said, is that MHA characters are actually REALLY GOOD, but generally lack screentime, so filler can make that up. I'd have loved to have gotten something that fleshed out that ending bit with all the girls, for instance.

The second is that it's BREAKNECK fast, and a lot of really cool moments can end up getting passed by, so there's some natural addition points. They kinda screwed it up with the one they had, but if they'd done something that wasn't so Tsuyu-centric, that would've been fantastic.

Take the upcoming Forest Lodge arc. You could totally do an episode expanding on the trek to the lodge from the bus.

By the way, would Season 3 be Forest Lodge + Rescue Arc or just the first? Imagining it has 25 episodes of course.

I can't wait to see Deku vs Muscle Guy animated, it's going to be dope.

Also loved that arc in general, the horror vibe was really well done.

LotusHD

Banned
I hate the canon argument. I strongly argue against the concept of canon as a whole, but even if you want to be a stickler for it, there are so many delightful things that are not produced by the original creator or even a related publisher of any sort, that the world would be worse for it not existing.

Don't desire canon material, desire good material.

What if I only desire good canon material? ;D

Also I don't hate filler or anything (I like the non-canon One Piece movies for example :p), I just uhh, notice its poor track record quality-wise when they go all in on it, as opposed to what MHA is mostly doing, which is changing things up here and there in order to suit the anime better. And then of course, quality-wise, if they go all in, and it's like, actually good, then it's gonna be in the back of my head that they likely won't make any callbacks to it.

Veelk

Banned
What if I only desire good canon material? ;D

Also I don't hate filler or anything (I like the non-canon One Piece movies for example :p), I just uhh, notice its poor track record quality-wise when they go all in on it, as opposed to what MHA is mostly doing, which is changing things up here and there in order to suit the anime better.

Well, that's the actual problem. Not that the material isn't canon, but that's it's not good. So canoncy does not bear any weight in that.

If I was in charge of an anime studio adapting a major work like MHA, I would be in contact with Horikoshi and have ask him to coordinate between the filler writers (as well as making sure I hire good writers for the filler) so that I could fill out episodes that contribute to the MHA as a whole.

LotusHD

Banned
Well, that's the actual problem. Not that the material isn't canon, but that's it's not good. So canoncy does not bear any weight in that.

If I was in charge of an anime studio adapting a major work like MHA, I would be in contact with Horikoshi and have ask him to coordinate between the filler writers (as well as making sure I hire good writers for the filler) so that I could fill out episodes that contribute to the MHA as a whole.

Well for you, but not me.

Veelk

Banned
Well for you, not I.

For you too, actually. After all, you said...

Also I don't hate filler or anything (I like the non-canon One Piece movies for example :p),

So you do agree with the principle of my argument. Filler is just often bad in comparison to canon material that you don't want to bother with it, but that's an issue of how the system is currently implemented resulting in bad content.

By the way, would Season 3 be Forest Lodge + Rescue Arc or just the first? Imagining it has 25 episodes of course.

I can't wait to see Deku vs Muscle Guy animated, it's going to be dope.

Also loved that arc in general, the horror vibe was really well done.

At 25 episodes, I'd say both, with a little room to spare.

LotusHD

Banned
A filler episode sucking is whatever, I can always skip a filler arc. For me, it's simply another reason to frown upon them. And it goes without saying that filler being good is obviously preferable. It's just disheartening in the sense that they rarely if ever do callbacks to filler material, which is my "actual" problem. As you said, I'm a stickler.

Like back on the OP movies, the recent one, Film Gold was a good example of this. Loved the movie, namely it's setting. Now I gotta live with the fact that that obviously won't ever be in the manga itself, that there will be no callbacks to the setting or prominent new characters within that movie. Again, I loved the movie, but ya, it nags in the back of my mind nonetheless.

In the context of MHA, they do a bad filler episode, that's "great", one less episode to care about this season. They do a good filler episode, cool. Them maintaining that character development that happened, or us getting to see that badass filler-exclusive character again one day? Unlikely.

NSESN

Camp + Kamino can be done in 12 episodes. License + Deku vs Bakugou can fill another 13 to make 25.

A filler episode sucking is whatever, I can always skip a filler arc. For me, it's simply another reason to frown upon them. And it goes without saying that filler being good is obviously preferable. It's just disheartening in the sense that they rarely if ever do callbacks to filler material, which is my "actual" problem. As you said, I'm a stickler.

Like back on the OP movies, the recent one, Film Gold was a good example of this. Loved the movie, namely it's setting. Now I gotta live with the fact that that obviously won't ever be in the manga itself, that there will be no callbacks to the setting or prominent new characters within that movie. Again, I loved the movie, but ya, it nags in the back of my mind nonetheless.

In the context of MHA, they do a bad filler episode, that's "great", one less episode to care about this season. They do a good filler episode, cool. Them maintaining that character development that happened, or us getting to see that badass filler-exclusive character again one day? Unlikely.

Or they can do a filler with things that actually happenned in the manga but are not shown. We know Selkie exists in the manga.
Or like the girls squad vs the Banelike yakuza.

LotusHD

Banned
Camp + Kamino can be done in 12 episodes. License + Deku vs Bakugou can fill another 13 to make 25.

Or they can do a filler with things that actually happenned in the manga but are not shown. We know Selkie exists in the manga.
Or like the girls squad vs the Banelike yakuza.

I wouldn't mind that.

Philippo

I wonder how much longer the current arc is going to be, it feels like all the arcs are pretty much framed into being the lenght for 13 anime eps.

I'm really rooting for the lgbtq couple but even then, it's shonen jump. I'd really love that the medium and genre i love so much finally gives me some representation... would be a cool message for the kids and teens reading, even better with the quality of Horikoshi's writing.

Whatever, in terms of filler, i liked the froppy one, but i don't know if i want a filler arc, specially with how shit and low quality they can get. Even then, doubt it's going to happen with this season release scheme.

Philippo

Mh? Since when is this a thing? I haven't noticed it.

Top Bottom