• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community |OT| We will love and tolerate the SHIT outta you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neki

Jintor said:
I8Mpc.jpg
no. please.
no.

tafer

I still don't understand why some of you feel so uneasy with some of this "human ponies" that get posted from time to time. From what I have seen most posts are usually quite harmless... am I missing something?

Neki

tafer said:
I still don't understand why some of you feel so uneasy with some of this "human ponies" that get posted from time to time. From what I have seen most posts are usually quite harmless... am I missing something?
why feel the need to characterize a pony as a human character?

tafer

Ultimoo said:
why feel the need to characterize a pony as a human character?

If an artists feels like it, why not?... and even then, the original question was: why YOU feel uneasy with human ponies? (Assuming, of course, that the representation is "harmless").

Jintor

Why feel the need to watch anime or draw any fanart at all? It's creative expressionism you idiot. God. I'm normally chill about this but this unwarrented bullshit exclusionism for no particular reason is really pissing me off.

The interpretations of the cast are actually rather neat to see. Provided they're in taste, then I think it's fantastic to witness different ways in which fans see the universe and characters.

I can understand if some fans feel threatened by any form of the universe being misrepresented, but that really isn't the case. It's not official, nor from Hasbro or Studio B, so let fanart be fanart. Fanart itself has existed in many forms for as long as other media has existed surely.

It's also slightly strange to come in and see a little aggression between you all though, considering the message of the show and the thread title ;)

Narag

I think some feel that it might lead to more questionable content that would result in the closure of the thread. I like to think the majority of the posters here are mature enough to not ruin it for anyone else though.

Dastardly Jerks said:
It's also slightly strange to come in and see a little aggression between you all though, considering the message of the show and the thread title ;)

They'll come together at the end and write a letter about what they've learned today.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Giving human characteristics to a character is pretty fine.

However, drawing them as humans makes me feel sick (and pretty much anything similar, like drawing an animal or anthro as a gijinka and drawing a human as an animal or anthro).

Neki

Jintor said:
Why feel the need to watch anime or draw any fanart at all? It's creative expressionism you idiot. God. I'm normally chill about this but this unwarrented bullshit exclusionism for no particular reason is really pissing me off.
Not sure why you're angry. I don't like human ponies, you guys don't like fan fiction. I think creative expression through writing is much more interesting than slapping the looks of a pony onto a human.

Jintor

I don't mind fanfiction, I just don't read it.

I'm not gonna get drawn into a huge debate over writing v art (I think given that I write for a living but really self-identify as an artist I have room for a view on both sides) but I deny that fanfiction is inherently any more interesting than fanart. Totally different mediums. Character design is hard, even when you have a base model to work of. What lines capture a character? Is it colour choices? The way their face is shaped, their body styles, their stance? Depicting someone isn't as simple as 'slapping their features onto a human'. Writing is easy, and drawing is easy. But good writing and drawing is much, much harder.

tafer

Ultimoo said:
Not sure why you're angry. I don't like human ponies, you guys don't like fan fiction. I think creative expression through writing is much more interesting than slapping the looks of a pony onto a human.

Ookami-kun said:

However, drawing them as humans makes me feel sick (and pretty much anything similar, like drawing an animal or anthro as a gijinka and drawing a human as an animal or anthro).

Man, if you guys just "don't like it", Why you have to be so aggressive about it? Why just not ignore it?

And now that someone mentions it, are fan fictions forbidden in this thread?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Ookami-kun said:

Come on man, really?

I should take the "furry/dangerously furry/you sick bastard" image and change it so it goes the other way. That's basically your viewpoint here.

Boss Doggie

Oh I'm fine with furry or human or whatever else, it's "turning them into something different" is the one that's making me feel weird.

Neki

ZealousD said:
Come on man, really?

I should take the "furry/dangerously furry/you sick bastard" image and change it so it goes the other way. That's basically your viewpoint here.

I don't like the transition going either way, so I'm not against specifically human ponies, just the need to characterize one species as another species.

Boss Doggie

tafer said:
Man, if you guys just "don't like it", Why you have to be so aggressive about it? Why just not ignore it?

And now that someone mentions it, are fan fictions forbidden in this thread?

You can't technically ignore it in a message board especially when you scroll :p

Ultimoo said:
I don't like the transition going either way, so I'm not against specifically human ponies, just the need to characterize one species as another species.

Holy crap we agree on something O:

Well, that and ponies

Ultimoo said:
So you hate Myke's drawings of us as ponies? The truth comes out! :p

Honestly, I can understand a dislike for gijinkas. The reactions in this thread are more like disgust, though (see Void Insanity's posts in the previous thread). You'd almost think drawing a humanized pony was man's inhumanity to man.

As for understanding the motivation to do it; like Jintor said, they clearly have value as a design exercise. But beyond that, we're talking about characters that are basically humans. (I guess until other sentient life exists, all characters are humans) They are depicted as thinking, acting and feeling like humans, so it's not really that farfetched to imagine them as humans. When we start seeing drawings of the main cast as printers, then I'll be confused.

Neki

Captain Fish said:
So you hate Myke's drawings of us as ponies? The truth comes out! :p

Honestly, I can understand a dislike for gijinkas. The reactions in this thread are more like disgust, though (see Void Insanity's posts in the previous thread). You'd almost think drawing a humanized pony was man's inhumanity to man.

As for understanding the motivation to do it; like Jintor said, they clearly have value as a design exercise. But beyond that, we're talking about characters that are basically humans. (I guess until other sentient life exists, all characters are humans) They are depicted as thinking, acting and feeling like humans, so it's not really that farfetched to imagine them as humans. When we start seeing drawings of the main cast as printers, then I'll be confused.

Well I would hate them if he took real pictures of us and then drew them as ponies, yes.

burningranger

Neo Member
Human versions of the ponies don't bother me really if done in good taste. Will definitely say I'm not a big fan of all the rule 34 stuff out there though.

Ookami-kun said:
Oh I'm fine with furry or human or whatever else, it's "turning them into something different" is the one that's making me feel weird.

In a way, I share the same feeling with shipping and Yaoi/Yuri pairings in shows unless it's heavily implied or otherwise canon somehow. But the whole "same sex rivalry/enemies = obvious romantic feelings" creed of those fans really annoy me with its absurdity. I just find it so banal.

With humanized ponies I just find it no different than the likes of artistic re-interpretation. You know like how someone might draw Marvel characters in 8-Bit Megaman style It's just a fun "what if?" Or like how in the late 90s I always loved seeing fanart interpretations of the SNES FFs since all we really had were the sprites and the bit of Amano art.

I think for some of the humanizations (like Megasweet) it just appeals to our inner schediaphile somehow. Having a character we like in a form that we associate with physical attraction. *shrug*

EDIT: Yeah Captain Fish explains it much better (and probably less creepy than I did)

Boss Doggie

Captain Fish said:
But beyond that, we're talking about characters that are basically humans. (I guess until other sentient life exists, all characters are humans) They are depicted as thinking, acting and feeling like humans, so it's not really that farfetched to imagine them as humans. When we start seeing drawings of the main cast as printers, then I'll be confused.

They're still, in a way, limited for being ponies though.

Now suddenly I want to see a Fluttershy printer.

Neki

Ookami-kun said:
They're still, in a way, limited for being ponies though.

Now suddenly I want to see a Fluttershy printer.

Fluttershy printer would take actual skill to draw.

REAL TALK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom