• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community |OT| We will love and tolerate the SHIT outta you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

Even more TF2 madness

Also

G8Ito.jpg

Jintor said:
awwww yeah
Hahaha Jintor.

Really though, I don't get all the people speculating on thread lockdown and whatnot. The thing had multiple warnings, was behind a spoiler tag and linked instead of embedded. It not like anyone was forced to see it. I don't see the reason for the huge blowup.

Either way, I still stick by the idea that based on the reaction to something that is on the tamer side of tasteless, if some of the more out there stuff were ever posted in here then the thread would have a true meltdown. I don't think anyone where would be stupid enough to do something like that though.

tiff

Banned
Nishastra said:
Yeah, by the time I got there it was full and stayed that way for some time. Then I went to play Magicka :p
Plus it didn't really help that just by skimming the player list I saw someone on my ignore list :/

Oh well, need to finish up Jagged Alliance 2 anyway.

SirSwirl said:
I can get behind that.

And for the uninformed, what poll?

After we watch an ep, and sometimes after certain things in eps, Aero will throw up a poll for synchtube viewers to vote on. He is keeping track of results w/ a list of all the eps and the average vote they received.

Jintor

Where are you all based? Anywhere in the states is going to give me 300+ ping. Which is playable... if I'm a medic.

Calpain

TouchMyBox said:
Yo guys... Ponies

Discuss.

Um, I'm guessing there isn't much to discuss right now. I thought we might have gotten some discussion over the Feeling Pinkie Keen moral, but I guess we all kind of got that out of our system when we first saw it long time ago. Personally, the moral doesn't even bug me that much anymore and the episode has started to grow on me more.

Narag

Episode has an entirely different feel than the others, I thought. That was my first time seeing it and while it was nice for Pinkie and swinging doors, it felt off to me!

PBalfredo

So watching the synctube today got me wondering. How important is the fact that all the MLP episode are freely available on Youtube to the rather unprecedented growth of the fandom?

Quick survey, how many here got their first taste of MLP on youtube as opposed to catching it on TV? I expect it would be the grand majority, if not everyone.

Which would stand to reason. If someone were to ask "What's the deal with all these ponies" and the answer is "Well, if you have cable, watch channel X at time Y and etc" then the person's interest is unlikely to be sustained long enough to make the effort to catch the show when it is on. However, when the answer is "click this link" and the person is taken immediately to an ep on youtube, then that person is already on the road to bronidom.

If youtube is a big contributor to the growth of MLP fandom, could the same be applied to increase the fanbase of other shows? Even if it could, how would a show translate internet fans watching free episodes into an income source. MLP is a unique case because the show is Hasbro's vehicle for advertising their toy line, rather than aiming for ad revenue like most shows (even then I wonder how many bronies are going out and buying pink Celestia dolls).

Calpain

Narag said:
Episode has an entirely different feel than the others, I thought. That was my first time seeing it and while it was nice for Pinkie and swinging doors, it felt off to me!

I think it might be because it has a slightly more Looney Tunes feeling than most episodes? For instance it is certainly one of the more slapstick episodes in the series so maybe that could be why it feels a bit off.

So watching the synctube today got me wondering. How important is the fact that all the MLP episode are freely available on Youtube to the rather unprecedented growth of the fandom?

PBalFredo said:
Quick survey, how many here got their first taste of MLP on youtube as opposed to catching it on TV? I expect it would be the grand majority, if not everyone.

Which would stand to reason. If someone were to ask "What's the deal with all these ponies" and the answer is "Well, if you have cable, watch channel X at time Y and etc" then the person's interest is unlikely to be sustained long enough to make the effort to catch the show when it is on. However, when the answer is "click this link" and the person is taken immediately to an ep on youtube, then that person is already on the road to bronidom.

If youtube is a big contributor to the growth of MLP fandom, could the same be applied to increase the fanbase of other shows? Even if it could, how would a show translate internet fans watching free episodes into an income source. MLP is a unique case because the show is Hasbro's vehicle for advertising their toy line, rather than aiming for ad revenue like most shows (even then I wonder how many bronies are going out and buying pink Celestia dolls).

I know I first saw it on Youtube thanks to links on a forum I used to frequent back in February. And you bring up an interesting point that I myself have contemplated. I really do believe Youtube has played a vital role in getting the pony word out. The reasoning behind this is simply that most are going to be VERY skeptical about watching a show called My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic in the first place. Any extra effort on their part to find and watch the show is going to easily deter them from watching while a Youtube link right in front of their face with the option to watch the show whenever they please is a much more inviting alternative.

As for using the same tactic for other shows, I'm not sure if it would have the same success rate considering, as you mentioned, that most shows are meant to generate advertising revenue for their networks instead of selling toy merchandise. Oddly, and in perhaps in favor of MLP and its fanbase, toy sales trump the actual advertising revenue concerning the show (though I bet Hasbro would like to make money on ads as well). Also, you'd be surprised how many fans actually have gone out and bought the small molded figures of the ponies so far.

Narag

Calpain said:
I think it might be because it has a slightly more Looney Tunes feeling than most episodes? For instance it is certainly one of the more slapstick episodes in the series so maybe that could be why it feels a bit off.

Very well could be. Much more reliant on the visual gag, I suppose.

Jintor

PBalfredo said:

It's really just an extension of link culture. Lowering the barrier to accessibility, etc.

PBalfredo said:
I don't get The Hub here and would have had no way to officially watch it without YT, so you can put me down on this list.

PBalfredo said:
It is done already for many shows via company sponsored Youtube uploads of episodes w/ 1 or 2 brief ads in them or partnerships w/ sites like Hulu. They get $ from ad revenue and get to expand the fanbase.

brian577

Banned
PBalfredo said:

I saw it on TV, watched Over the Barrel when it first aired. I was quickly laughing at Applejack babying Bloomburg and immediately knew I was going to like it.

brian577 said:
I saw it on TV, watched Over the Barrel when it first aired. I was quickly laughing at Applejack babying Bloomburg and immediately knew I was going to like it.

Funny enough, I had the same reaction but I saw that on the Hub's site after being linked there from the first thread's OP. I decided to watch 5 min of an ep and after the first few min of that ep I knew I would enjoy the show.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I just realized that in both episodes involving AJ+ another pony involves the other pony being a shitty person towards her, yet she has to get her "just desserts" when she wasn't even bothering anyone.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Ookami-kun said:
I just realized that in both episodes involving AJ+ another pony involves the other pony being a shitty person towards her, yet she has to get her "just desserts" when she wasn't even bothering anyone.
you applejerkers will say anything to help yourselves sleep at night, its really kinda sad.

twilight and big mac were clearly being such jerks telling her to put her ego aside for a minute and ask for help.

Neki

Pandaman said:
you applejerkers will say anything to help yourselves sleep at night, its really kinda sad.

twilight and big mac were clearly being such jerks telling her to put her ego aside for a minute and ask for help.

twilight is a shady character, maybe applejack was afraid of her magic.

Whogie

PBalfredo said:
Having had seen a bunch of avatars/macros of the show online, I found the animation appealing so I reluctantly added an episode to my DVR queue. It was the Diamond Dogs episode, and I couldn't make it through the whole thing. The dogs were so annoying and stupid it was pretty much what I expected out of a show with "little kid humor," so I gave up on it.

Then I stumbled across the MLP thread here, and thought, "okay, one more chance." Someone linked to "Suited for Success" on Youtube. It was a good recommendation ^^

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
After noticing the first thread and really liking the art style of those gifs, I watched Episode 1 and got hooked after ~2 minutes.

I really think this show is kinda hit/miss, and I really, really think a LOT of people who condemn it over the net actually wanted to watch on, because their initially thought was "hey, I like this, BUT...". And then they thought too much of other people's opinions instead of their own.

Boss Doggie

Pandaman said:

I was talking about the pony + AJ eps not counting Applebucks Season - I was talking about Rainbow Sue and Rarity.

Orcastar

Thanks to Aero and everyone else too for making my first synchtube event as a (junior) member of PonyGAF a fun one! Excellent episodes for it too. I like Feeling Pinkie Keen even though the moral can be seen as a bit dubious; the great humour makes up for it and the whole episodes centers around my two favourite ponies, so you won't hear any complaints from me.

TF2 was fun too, even though I suck at it, my ping was hovering around 150-200 the whole time, my aging laptop drops to around 10 FPS whenever the action heats up, and Steam didn't want my money for some reason so I couldn't buy any ha- erm... better weapons. Also, would have been fun to see more PonyGAFfers in the games. A dedicated server would certainly be a great idea.

Also, that Meet the Brony parody is hilarious.

PBalfredo said:
I got my first taste of MLP when the Ponycraft 2 video was linked to Kotaku, so yeah. If I had first run into MLP when the show eventually comes here, I probably wound't have given it a second glance, seeing as how Finnish dubbing tends to ruin everything. Overall, I think Youtube has been instrumental in the show's success; just look at the episode stats on Youtube and you'll see that a lot of views come from countries where the show isn't officially shown yet. I just hope Hasbro realizes this and continues to let people ulpoad the episodes when season 2 starts.

Boss Doggie

ruby_onix said:
Calling Rainbow Dash a Mary Sue only proves your closet love for her.

Fine, not a Mary Sue, but still has those elements, especially with the self-insert thing. I mean, even Hermione wasn't this bad!

Cheerilee

Ookami-kun said:
Fine, not a Mary Sue, but still has those elements, especially with the self-insert thing. I mean, even Hermione wasn't this bad!
I can't see Rainbow Dash as being significantly more amazing or perfect or as much of somebody's self-insert than any pony, short of Applejack or Luna.

Celestia is Lauren Faust? Check.
Twilight can beat Goku + Superman and she's super-smart? Check.
Rainbow Dash is like Top Gun but 20% cooler? Check.
Rarity is more beautiful and classy than royalty and all men love her? Check.
Fluttershy can make you dead of cute? Check.
Pinkie-Pie, well, Pinkie-Pie? Check.

Applejack is the most grounded of the bunch, but she's still pretty awesome and I'm sure the writers intend for her to be about as great as every other character. It's just that each one has their own flavor of greatness.

And I didn't see Hermione as being a problem. Yeah, she's partly a self-insert of JKR, and she's a know it all, but she has genuine failings, serves the plot, and isn't just there for the author's self-indulgence. IIRC, just about everyone of any importance in the Potter books draw from important people in JKR's life. Lots of writers do that, JKR's simply open about it, which might be a bad thing because that knowledge seems to prevent some people from enjoying her work.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Ahahaha, let me guess: "Secret of the magic crystals" was the prize for this synchtube contest? :D

Just saw it on my Steam friend list ^^

Cheerilee

Ultimoo said:
Prince Blueblood disagrees.
Of course, in that same episode, Rarity batted her eyelashes at some random guys and they agreed to pull her vehicle to another city. And Spike (who also loves her) absentmindedly whipped those lovestruck guys, and they barely let it slide because Spike is favored by the mistress.

Also, it's a common element of the Mary Sue trope that she is loved by all, and someone not loving her is a hint that they might be a villain.

OMG Aero

Calpain said:
Hmm, sorry I couldn't join you guys for TF2. I kept getting an error saying the server was full. Hopefully I might be able to join in next week then.
Yeah, I had to keep retrying the server for ages before I could finally get in. At least the NeoGAF server has replays enabled though so I was able to record this footage of me being an idiot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QARGWmIHig
Next week maybe we should look for another server instead. It would be awesome if we could get a password protected PonyGAF server, but I have no idea how you'd go about doing that and setting up a server costs money.

Anyway, time for the ratings since I fell asleep last night before I posted them, and a few of you might be surprised.
For Feeling Pinkie Keen: 3 people voted 5, 16 people voted 4, 7 people voted 3, 2 people voted 2, and 3 people voted 1, giving it an average of 3.45
For Sonic Rainboom: 19 people voted 5, 4 people voted 4, 2 people voted 3 and no-one voted 2 or 1, giving it an average of 4.68
Which means that the current standings are:
1. Suited For Success - 4.73
2. Sonic Rainboom - 4.68
2. Dragonshy - 4.68
3. Winter Wrap Up - 4.54
4. Swarm of the Century - 4.28
5. Bridle Gossip - 4.07
6. Friendship is Magic Part 1 - 4.06
7. The Ticket Master - 4.05
8. Griffon the Brush-Off - 4
9. Look Before You Sleep - 3.81
10. Friendship is Magic Part 2 - 3.71
11. Fall Weather Friends - 3.69
12. Applebuck Season - 3.67
13. Boast Busters - 3.58
14. Feeling Pinkie Keen - 3.45
15. Call of the Cutie - 3.15
Sonic Rainboom ties for second with Dragonshy! That's a good result if you ask me, I don't consider Sonic Rainboom to be the best episode but it's certainly good enough to be up there with Dragonshy. Next week's poll results are going to be interesting because the next stream is a CMC double bill with Stare Master and The Show Stoppers.

Now on the topic of the contest, I got 12 entries and while I was waiting to get in the TF2 server I gave each entry a number and put them through a random number generator to determine a winner and the number that came up was 7 which means that Calpain wins the prize which is a Steam copy of Puzzle Agent! I already sent you a friend invite on Steam Calpain, so as soon as you accept I can send you the game.
PBalfredo said:
I don't live in America so Youtube is heavily reliant on why I like this show. Had the episodes not been on Youtube then the only way I would have seen them would be through downloading them and I don't think I would have given MLP that much effort before I knew what the show was actually like. I have no doubt that the reason FiM is so popular is because you can easily say to someone "Hey check this out" and give them a Youtube link and they can be watching in seconds, but if you had to tell someone to start downloading 30 minutes of video they might not like or tune in at a certain time to a channel they might not even get, they probably aren't going to do it unless they were already interested to start with.

PBalfredo said:

I opted for a shadier option than Youtube as there's no good way to watch it legit in Canada, and I'm put off by inconsistent quality.

Jintor said:

A non-rhyming Zecora? What is this nonsense? (okay, she just rhymed, but still, there is definitely a lack of rhyming)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom