• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community |OT2| I just don't know what went wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xzeon

Banned
I'll try to keep my concerns in check until the episode airs. But there is just something off putting about this
out of nowhere "Crystal Kingdom" and these "Crystal Ponies"
more so than the sudden appearance of a third alicorn.

ye, it kinda
seems like trying to push those glitter ponies, which i hope doesnt happen a lot, a little bit is ok. also im glad Cadence was mentioned, i hate one off new characters and i thought that would happen to cadence.

im a bit worried bout s3 now, but i still have faith.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I just want to have discord return.

Also I wonder which is worse, furries being associated with MLP or furries being associated with Sonic. I guess the latter is.

Cheerilee

I just want to have discord return.

Pretty sure John DeLancie said at one point that he had recorded a second appearance on the show.

That could mean that Discord will be back for another epic two-parter, or it could mean that Celestia will spend five seconds remembering some important thing that Discord said to her long ago, or it could mean that DeLancie just dropped by the studio one day to record a line for some random nameless background pony because he thought that would be fun.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty sure John DeLancie said at one point that he had recorded a second appearance on the show.

That could mean that Discord will be back for another epic two-parter, or it could mean that Celestia will spend five seconds remembering some important thing that Discord said to her long ago, or it could mean that DeLancie just dropped by the studio one day to record a line for some random nameless background pony because he thought that would be fun.

Ya, he definitely said that, I remember it as well.

From the new Season 3 clip
Boy, was this a shameless toy push, but it can't be any worse than the sea ponies, right? Though when Twilight said "Princess Cadence's magic won't last forever", I thought it meant that because of the wedding, or the love shockwave, she was losing her magic, and wouldn't be able to use it ever again.

LuffyZoro

From the new Season 3 clip
Boy, was this a shameless toy push, but it can't be any worse than the sea ponies, right? Though when Twilight said "Princess Cadence's magic won't last forever", I thought it meant that because of the wedding, or the love shockwave, she was losing her magic, and wouldn't be able to use it ever again.

It's because
all love dies.

This one concerns me. Not sure what to think.
Edit: Thought it over.
Unlike Wasn't Prepared For This,
which I listened to over and over again. I can't listen to this one again. It lacks heart and feels like hamfisted merchandise pushing, I believe we may be looking at the beginning of the end.

You may want to spoiler tag the song title.

I've got a very different opinion than you. Wasn't Prepared for This sounds terrible, while the new one is catchy, if a bit vapid. The Crystal ponies could pretty easily be a terrible merchandise cash-in, but I think the MLP team has earned the benefit of the doubt. I'm betting that whatever happens in the episode will be a cool bit of world building.

Also, I remember thinking Smile Smile Smile was the most terrible saccharine shit until I saw it in context, so I suspect it'll look better as part of a full show.

brian577

Banned
New theory for
these chrystal ponies, the chrystal ponies are the changelings (Chrysalis=Chrystal) this is a attempt by Cadence to revive their civilization and restore their original form which was lost for whatever reason and end the changeling threat. It's almost too perfect. If I'm right, it will almost makes up for how bad the song was.

Orcastar

New theory for
these chrystal ponies, the chrystal ponies are the changelings (Chrysalis=Chrystal) this is a attempt by Cadence to revive their civilization and restore their original form which was lost for whatever reason and end the changeling threat. It's almost too perfect. If I'm right, it will almost makes up for how bad the song was.

The word "chrysalis" doesn't have anything to do with crystals though. Merriam-Webster defines CHRYSALIS as:
a : a pupa of a butterfly; broadly : an insect pupa
b : the enclosing case or covering of a pupa
2 : a protecting covering : a sheltered state or stage of being or growth

brian577

Banned
The word "chrysalis" doesn't have anything to do with crystals though. Merriam-Webster defines CHRYSALIS as:
a : a pupa of a butterfly; broadly : an insect pupa
b : the enclosing case or covering of a pupa
2 : a protecting covering : a sheltered state or stage of being or growth

Fully aware of that, but you have to admit it's a pretty big coincidence.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.

Lurky

Hoooooowdy-ho everyone! It's Lurky (which you should know if you ever go into the IRC) and here's my pony list: Rainbowdash>TwilightSparkle>Fluttershy>Rarity>applejack>everyone else>PinkiePie.

Silvawuff

I liked the crystal song.
It could be the start of an interesting story arc, or the start of a frightening trend. Is it shameless advertising? I think it's way too early to tell.

If one episode out of a season needs to be sacrificed to keep the Hasbro gods happy to ensure seasons to come, so be it.

I'm more worried that S3 will only have 13 episodes.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Hoooooowdy-ho everyone! It's Lurky (which you should know if you ever go into the IRC) and here's my pony list: Rainbowdash>TwilightSparkle>Fluttershy>Rarity>applejack>everyone else>PinkiePie.

Applejack not at the bottom? Welcome :D.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
ALMOST perfect? maybe i should post a revisal for you: Celestia> the stuff i said before. Better? ;D

Luna>Rainbowdash>TwilightSparkle>Fluttershy>Rarity>applejack>everyone else>PinkiePie.

Fixed that for you.

$200

Banned
S1 ratings

---

S2E1: 4.42 (0*1+0*2+0*3+7*4+5*5)/12
S2E2: 4.80 (0*1+0*2+0*3+2*4+8*5)/10
S2E3: 3.71 (1*1+1*2+0*3+2*4+3*5)/7
S2E4: 4.43 (0*1+0*2+0*3+4*4+3*5)/7
S2E5: 3.14 (1*1+2*2+0*3+3*4+1*5)/7
S2E6: 2.86 (0*1+2*2+4*3+1*4+0*5)/7
S2E7: 3.89 (0*1+0*2+4*3+2*4+3*5)/9
S2E8: 2.88 (0*1+4*2+1*3+3*4+0*5)/8

---

S2E9: 4.30 (0*1+0*2+2*3+3*4+5*5)/10
S2E10: 3.60 (0*1+2*2+2*3+4*4+2*5)/10

Xzeon

Banned
pinkamena_by_applesarcum-d57dl9b.png

Frantic Fanatic

Neo Member
I remain cautiously optimistic that Season 3 will provide us with some classic episodes. (Or at least it'll get me to stop reading fanfiction, although I admit reading people's various interpretations of the Princesses and just how powerful they are is an exercise in fascination)

On another note, are there any notable Season 2 episodes one would consider showing a new viewer? I have friends to corrupt convert.

Kuugrr

I remain cautiously optimistic that Season 3 will provide us with some classic episodes. (Or at least it'll get me to stop reading fanfiction, although I admit reading people's various interpretations of the Princesses and just how powerful they are is an exercise in fascination)

On another note, are there any notable Season 2 episodes one would consider showing a new viewer? I have friends to corrupt convert.

Try Lesson Zero! It managed to get two of my friends into the series after we watched it together and the rest thought it was pretty hilarious.

blamite

Season 3 plot speculation:

The Mane 6 set up a Kickstarter to save the Crystal Ponies, but end up spending all their money setting up a fair as a backer reward.

Try Lesson Zero! It managed to get two of my friends into the series after we watched it together and the rest thought it was pretty hilarious.

I'll cosign on Episode Zero. One of my favorites, though it admittedly did little for a friend who categorically hates ponies. Also, first post in the thread, so, uh, High Ponygaf!

Cheerilee

Season 2 might feel "better" but it's more self-referential. In Lesson Zero for example, Twi has a breakdown because she hasn't produced her weekly letter. This has more meaning when you've seen Twilight acting normal (this is true of all the "breakdown" episodes, they're about seeing someone act out-of-character, which is meaningless if you don't know the character they're being out-of), and when you've seen Twilight actually send a new letter every week.

I don't think it's a good idea to deviate very far from the production order. People said the intro episodes weren't a good intro because they were two-part adventure while the rest of the episodes were slice of life, but then they made more two-part adventure episodes. Now people sort of complain a bit because the Nightmare Moon eps weren't as good as the Discord or Royal Wedding eps, but those weren't designed to be an introduction, Nightmare Moon was.

For the regular episodes, you can mix them up a little without harm (some shouldn't be mixed), but I don't think it's a good idea to front-load all the "good" episodes for someone to try, and get an unbalanced look at the show. And then there's always a matter of taste, and if you try to give someone "good" episodes and keep the "bad" away, they might actually like the bad more than the good, so you might be causing the opposite of the effect you intend.

IMO, the best idea is just to put the show out there as-is and let it be judged for being itself. It's also a good idea to tell people how the tone changes after two episodes, so they're likely to give it more of a chance.

Also I should mention that Jayson Thiessen has said that he worked pretty hard on giving the show a faint sense of continuity, so it's episodic, but if you watch it in the order it was laid out, there is a slow progression, and characters slowly change and learn, even if it doesn't look like they changed or learned anything.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member

Lurky was a better nick name! Welcome :D

Frantic Fanatic

Neo Member
Season 2 might feel "better" but it's more self-referential. In Lesson Zero for example, Twi has a breakdown because she hasn't produced her weekly letter. This has more meaning when you've seen Twilight acting normal (this is true of all the "breakdown" episodes, they're about seeing someone act out-of-character, which is meaningless if you don't know the character they're being out-of), and when you've seen Twilight actually send a new letter every week.

I don't think it's a good idea to deviate very far from the production order. People said the intro episodes weren't a good intro because they were two-part adventure while the rest of the episodes were slice of life, but then they made more two-part adventure episodes. Now people sort of complain a bit because the Nightmare Moon eps weren't as good as the Discord or Royal Wedding eps, but those weren't designed to be an introduction, Nightmare Moon was.

For the regular episodes, you can mix them up a little without harm (some shouldn't be mixed), but I don't think it's a good idea to front-load all the "good" episodes for someone to try, and get an unbalanced look at the show. And then there's always a matter of taste, and if you try to give someone "good" episodes and keep the "bad" away, they might actually like the bad more than the good, so you might be causing the opposite of the effect you intend.

IMO, the best idea is just to put the show out there as-is and let it be judged for being itself. It's also a good idea to tell people how the tone changes after two episodes, so they're likely to give it more of a chance.

Also I should mention that Jayson Thiessen has said that he worked pretty hard on giving the show a faint sense of continuity, so it's episodic, but if you watch it in the order it was laid out, there is a slow progression, and characters slowly change and learn, even if it doesn't look like they changed or learned anything.

You are absolutely right on Lesson Zero, and in fact, I regret not mentioning that in my original request, as it's one of my favorites but I want to show Twi acting rational, else it has no meaning. I do, however, think one needs to pick a specific episode to show to people rather then just say 'Oh hey, go watch this.' And then they find a Season 3.5 episode. Besides, that imposes effort for people, and effort is hard.

Well, I started with Season 1, episode 1 myself, so perhaps it's good enough for everyone. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom