• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community |OT2| I just don't know what went wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
So, Euro-Ponygaf:

MLP Convention 2012 in Hamburg or Galacon in Stuttgart?
Both are in Germany, the first one, at September 15th, is an established MLP meetup in General (and it shows, sweet Celestia, it shows!) with a lot of hardcore G1+ collectors in a (seemingly) very small location, more like one day of an indoor flea market with a bit of program built around it. There will be a Brony table though (not really a clue on what's going on there), and they are officially supported by Hasbro - maybe there will even be a Con pony. So even if they claim to try appealing to the brony audience as well (and frankly, they seem much more curious about us than we are about "them" ^^), this collection of pics of a former Ponycon kinda scares me off a bit.

On the other side of the ring: The Grand Galloping Gala, or Galacon, which is a newcomer I know very little about. It's planned for August 4th and 5th, and the location seems to be far greater than the Ponycon one, and they're aiming for the whole european Brony audience. There will be an artists' alley, is basically the only actual fact I remember right now. They're trying to get all kinds of guests of honor, so I guess that's another plus in comparison. Other than that, it's all in the dark as of yet.

Alright, that's it. Anyone planning to go to either one of them?

The first one does indeed to be targeted towards a much wider audience. Only reason I would think to go to that one is to see how previous MLP fans feel about the G4 reboot and its fan base.

Orcastar

So, Euro-Ponygaf:

MLP Convention 2012 in Hamburg or Galacon in Stuttgart?
Both are in Germany, the first one, at September 15th, is an established MLP meetup in General (and it shows, sweet Celestia, it shows!) with a lot of hardcore G1+ collectors in a (seemingly) very small location, more like one day of an indoor flea market with a bit of program built around it. There will be a Brony table though (not really a clue on what's going on there), and they are officially supported by Hasbro - maybe there will even be a Con pony. So even if they claim to try appealing to the brony audience as well (and frankly, they seem much more curious about us than we are about "them" ^^), this collection of pics of a former Ponycon kinda scares me off a bit.

On the other side of the ring: The Grand Galloping Gala, or Galacon, which is a newcomer I know very little about. It's planned for August 4th and 5th, and the location seems to be far greater than the Ponycon one, and they're aiming for the whole european Brony audience. There will be an artists' alley, is basically the only actual fact I remember right now. They're trying to get all kinds of guests of honor, so I guess that's another plus in comparison. Other than that, it's all in the dark as of yet.

Alright, that's it. Anyone planning to go to either one of them?
I might just be crazy enough to give Galacon a shot.

tumblr_m0r9l6XRAR1r97thgo1_1280.jpg

$200

Banned
Apparently ponies have made it to the front page of the biggest gaming site in Taiwan. We can probably expect a large wave of new chinese bronies emerging in the next few weeks.

Untitled.png

Article

blamite

Woah, Lyra is canon now? Was not expecting that. Honestly Heartstrings is a much more creative name, but it's cool Hasbro's adopting some fanon names I guess.

blamite

Yeah how did they manage to make Fluttershy even worse than before? Quit messing with the best pony already. >.> Unless I'm missing something, it seems like the only version of her that've been remotely show-accurate are the McDonalds toys. But anyway...
4Fn7Q.gif

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Hahahah palette swaps.

To be fair, the wigs do a good job of covering their human ears (except RBD), so ears and horns are fine. No self-respecting cosplayer would ever resort to decals.

Cosplayers tend to pretty much put self respect on the line by being cosplayers.

It borders from pony-themed fashion to horrible implications of a nekomimi shit.

Orcastar

Yo Lyra I'm really happy for you, and Imma let you finish, but what the hell's wrong with Fluttershy

It's not even that she's using Rainbow's mold - that's old news. It's more the odd art on the card, and the completely off-model coloring on the toy.
That Fluttershy might be a glow-in-the-dark version. It's hard to be sure from that pic, but all the other glow-in-the-dark blindbag ponies have been single-coloured. The art on the card is unchanged from previous blindbags.

The real crime here is Luna.

Quick to accept Lyra into your heart eh? Don't be pulled by the strings of the fanbase.

n7BtY.png

-source
They're fake? Aww. :(

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Was just at McDonald's Drive Through. Saw Pinky Pie, and said, "ahhh!" lol what's the promotion?

That Fluttershy might be a glow-in-the-dark version. It's hard to be sure from that pic, but all the other glow-in-the-dark blindbag ponies have been single-coloured. The art on the card is unchanged from previous blindbags.

The real crime here is Luna.

They're fake? Aww. :(

Actually, the person who shouted fake basically retracted his argument as "not definitive evidence"

I have to say, for a fake, it's very VERY elaborate, unless everything BUT Trixie and Lyra's names were real and that their names were shopped in.

Xzeon

Banned
Just had a thought, does the fact that everypony gets cutie marks mean the pegasi and earth ponies have the possibility for magic manipulation? Cuz it happens naturally, so wheres the source of magic come from that triggers the marking? is it external? is there like a mana well in Canterlot castle where all ponies derive magic from? Is magic just part of nature? Is it like in DBZ where everyone has the potential for powers but you just have to awaken them? You could also cite Pinkie Twitch as being a magic power, which blurs the line even further.

I AM STARTING A NERD DEBATE, THIS WILL END WELL I KNOW IT.

tldr, why errone get cutie marks, a magical phenomenon, when only unicorns have the ability to use magic.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Just had a thought, does the fact that everypony gets cutie marks mean the pegasi and earth ponies have the possibility for magic manipulation? Cuz it happens naturally, so wheres the source of magic come from that triggers the marking? is it external? is there like a mana well in Canterlot castle where all ponies derive magic from? Is magic just part of nature? Is it like in DBZ where everyone has the potential for powers but you just have to awaken them? You could also cite Pinkie Twitch as being a magic power, which blurs the line even further.

Word of Faust is that all ponies have magic. Only unicorn magic manifests in an obvious visible way. Pegasus magic helps them fly (do you think those tiny wings would be enough to raise a horse?), and Earth Pony magic manifests subtly through their special talent.

Orcastar

tldr, why errone get cutie marks, a magical phenomenon, when only unicorns have the ability to use magic.
I'm pretty sure Faust herself said at some point that all ponies have magical abilities, but only unicorns can control it, while earth ponies and pegasi have more passive magic. For earth ponies, this would be an affinity to the earth and plants while pegasi have cloudwalking, for example. So basically magic is a fundamental force in the ponyverse, which can be controlled with the right kind of focus or catalyst, such as a unicorn's horn.

What I wanna know is if it's possible for ponies to make "artificial unicorn horns", or wands if you will, which would enable earth ponies and pegasi to control magic too.

Xzeon

Banned
Word of Faust is that all ponies have magic. Only unicorn magic manifests in an obvious way. Pegasus magic helps them fly (do you think those tiny wings would be enough to raise a horse), and Earth Pony magic manifests through their special talent.

So errpony gets like the base magic stats for cutie marks and special talents, but then it goes like Pegasi are second tier and have enough magic for flight and cloud walking, and then Unicorns are top tier and can cast spells and shit. And of course Alicorns sit at God tier.

So, earth ponies and pegasi have a loop hole to where they may be able to use magic. Maybe they need a prosthetic horn lol, someone should try that in the show.

Xzeon

Banned
I'm pretty sure Faust herself said at some point that all ponies have magical abilities, but only unicorns can control it, while earth ponies and pegasi have more passive magic. For earth ponies, this would be an affinity to the earth and plants while pegasi have cloudwalking, for example. So basically magic is a fundamental force in the ponyverse, which can be controlled with the right kind of focus or catalyst, such as a unicorn's horn.

What I wanna know is if it's possible for ponies to make "artificial unicorn horns", or wands if you will, which would enable earth ponies and pegasi to control magic too.

Yeah just like in DBZ, you can be taught how to use your powers, like everyone has the ability but you have to awaken it and harness it.

Oh man, Pinkie as a unicorn... I would love to see that.

She gets a fake horn, bad things happen, she has it taken away to protect everyone lol.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
As powerful as Pinkie already is, I think she'd have trouble fusing a horn into her own nervous system as to gain the magic-focusing abilities it would theoretically bring.

Besides, doing normal magic would be boooooring.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
For earth ponies, this would be an affinity to the earth and plants while pegasi have cloudwalking, for example.
My personal theory is that Earth Pony magic manifests itself by subtly influencing reality so that events and results related to the pony's special talent tend to be positive, even if the conditions and probabilities were not initially favorable. It amplifies their talent by making nature and the environment work for it. Just call it magical serendipity.

Cheerilee

I suspect that the Element of Harmony talismans can do that (or maybe that they could have done that before all but Twilight's were broken and reshaped into lesser talismans).

Also, I'm pretty sure that pony magic is exclusive to ponies, but there are other kinds of magic in the MLP world, like Zecora's science-based voodoo, which can be used by anyone who knows how to use it, regardless of the rules of pony magic.

Orcastar

My personal theory is that Earth Pony magic manifests itself by subtly influencing reality so that events and results related to the pony's special talent tend to be positive, even if the conditions and probabilities were not initially favorable. It amplifies their talent by making nature work for it.
The implications of this are pretty interesting. Take Pinkie Pie for example: maybe she's not really that good at planning parties, but ponies just magically have a better time at her parties than anyone else's. The music just seems a bit more catchy when it's her party, the food and drinks just seems to taste a bit better, even if there is a baby alligator swimming in the punch. It's kinda unsettling when you start to think about it.

I suspect that the Element of Harmony talismans can do that (or maybe that they could have done that before all but Twilight's were broken and reshaped into lesser talismans).

Also, I'm pretty sure that pony magic is exclusive to ponies, but there are other kinds of magic in the MLP world, like Zecora's science-based voodoo, which can be used by anyone who knows how to use it, regardless of the rules of pony magic.
It seems to me that the other five elements are more like amplifiers that extract and feed energy to Twilight's big crown thingie, which would mean that they were always supposed to work as a set.

As for Zecora, her voodoo doesn't really seem to be magic, but rather alchemy that utilizes magical ingredients. Plants like the poison joke would certainly seem to indicate that certain plants are themselves magical.

Xzeon

Banned
The implications of this are pretty interesting. Take Pinkie Pie for example: maybe she's not really that good at planning parties, but ponies just magically have a better time at her parties than anyone else's. The music just seems a bit more catchy when it's her party, the food and drinks just seems to taste a bit better, even if there is a baby alligator swimming in the punch. It's kinda unsettling when you start to think about it.

It seems to me that the other five elements are more like amplifiers that extract and feed energy to Twilight's big crown thingie, which would mean that they were always supposed to work as a set.

As for Zecora, her voodoo doesn't really seem to be magic, but rather alchemy that utilizes magical ingredients. Plants like the poison joke would certainly seem to indicate that certain plants are themselves magical.

Orcas got this shit down man.

I agree with him.

As powerful as Pinkie already is, I think she'd have trouble fusing a horn into her own nervous system as to gain the magic-focusing abilities it would theoretically bring.

Besides, doing normal magic would be boooooring.

Pinkie would become like a less evil Discord lol.

Friendship.

It's magic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom