• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community |OT2| I just don't know what went wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.

blamite

mlp__kid_icarus_by_skyfinder-d4nalf1.png

Xzeon

Banned

Every time I see a pic I like I immediately have the urge to 'Like' it or give it an Upvote, my cursor frantically tries to find something to click and then I realize I am on Gaf.

Its become like an instinct, I have a problem lol.

Gonna take some time to get used to being on a forum.

Chuck

Still without luck
Welcome, Prade! Now, go make yourself useful and help me with finding good pony anthro art >.>

A day (or two, depending on your timezone) late is better than never, right? Here's what I drew for ChuckNoLuck's birthday.

D:

I love it! :D Thanks!

blamite

What? No, the episode's time travel worked perfectly fie as it's presented. The time travel used in the episode seems pretty similar to Lost's "Whatever happened happened" time travel, where everything that happens as a result of time travel has already happened before the person goes back in time. The first event that happens is Twilight being visited by herself from the future, therefore she will go back in time to deliver the massage no matter what, because she has to, because she did. No alternate timelines or anything. The thing about this is that it requires a sort of "destiny" element, where Twilight was always supposed to go back in time even before any of the events had started.

... that makes sense, right?

Chuck

Still without luck
What? No, the episode's time travel worked perfectly fie as it's presented. The time travel used in the episode seems pretty similar to Lost's "Whatever happened happened" time travel, where everything that happens as a result of time travel has already happened before the person goes back in time. The first event that happens is Twilight being visited by herself from the future, therefore she will go back in time to deliver the massage no matter what, because she has to, because she did. No alternate timelines or anything. The thing about this is that it requires a sort of "destiny" element, where Twilight was always supposed to go back in time even before any of the events had started.

Yep. Here's your reward

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer

WHERE IS THE CAUSALITY?

The issue isn't just where Twilight learned about the spells, it is that she had no reason to go back in time were it not for her having already done so somehow. This can be addressed in two ways:

1. While the time loop is presented as stable, it started using a different course of events. The previous comic is one version of this.
2. Tara Strong trolls so much her character infinitely trolls herself and everyone else using a troll time loop.

I think we all know which one is more likely.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
WHERE IS THE CAUSALITY?

The issue isn't where Twilight learned about the spells, it is that she had no reason to go back in time were it not for her having already done so somehow. This can be addressed in two ways:

1. While the time loop is presented as stable, it started using a different course of events. The previous comic is one version of this.
2. Tara Strong trolls so much her character infinitely trolls herself and everyone else using a troll time loop.

there is no causality in ponyville, all things are predestined and causeless.
the train does not move because ponies are pulling it, if you deleted the ponies from reality it would still move.

blamite

Yep. Here's your reward
Sneaky, sneaky. Someday.
WHERE IS THE CAUSALITY?

The issue isn't where Twilight learned about the spells, it is that she had no reason to go back in time were it not for her having already done so somehow. This can be addressed in two ways:

That's where the predestination stuff comes in. Twilight always came back in time, because she was going to later on. Everything that happened in the episode was predestined to happen before it did. So as soon as she saw herself from the future, she was destined to complete the circle. Because reasons. And magic.

... I'm confusing myself. And I'm not sure this even makes sense anymore, but I want ti too...

Cheerilee

So here's an interesting theory about the last episode:

Twilight was stuck in what's called a "predestination paradox", as evidenced by the fact that Future Twilight's speech to Past Twilight was identical the second time around.

The speech that caused the event is the speech that Future Twilight makes when she's intending to stop Past Twilight from worrying. If Future Twilight was intending to prevent a catastrophe, her speech would logically have been different.

A predestination paradox has no beginning. That's why it's a paradox. Time travel happens because time travel.

Although it is theoretically possible for a time loop with a logical beginning to settle into an infinite loop which is indistinguishable from a predestination paradox.

Edit: Also, Fluttershy being at the party doesn't mean that Cerberus would have wrecked the town and Twilight would have lost a fight with him and that monsters beyond Celestia/Luna's ability would have rained out of Pony Hell. Because Twilight would have been busy scheduling. No comment on the blasphemy that Celestia/Luna would've needed to have Twilight use the time travel reset button for a simple Pony Hell uprising.

Edit2: And this writer assumes that Twilight needs Celestia/Luna to tell her where the time travel scrolls are, because those two knew Starswirl the Bearded, but all we know is that this particular wing of the library is called the "Starswirl the Bearded wing". Maybe it doesn't contain his research, it's just dedicated to him. It's locked, and although Twilight never went in there before (assuming she wasn't allowed), she's abundantly qualified to be in there.

Xzeon

Banned
Sneaky, sneaky. Someday.

That's where the predestination stuff comes in. Twilight always came back in time, because she was going to later on. Everything that happened in the episode was predestined to happen before it did. So as soon as she saw herself from the future, she was destined to complete the circle. Because reasons. And magic.

... I'm confusing myself. And I'm not sure this even makes sense anymore, but I want ti too...

Ah so basically, it happens just cuz, no reason, it just does. And you say they did this on Lost? That explains it.

blamite

Twilight was stuck in what's called a "predestination paradox", as evidenced by the fact that Future Twilight's speech to Past Twilight's speech was identical the second time around.

The speech that caused the event is the speech that Future Twilight makes when she's intending to stop Past Twilight from worrying. If Future Twilight was intending to prevent a catastrophe, her speech would logically have been different.

A predestination paradox has no beginning. That's why it's a paradox. Time travel happens because time travel.

Although it is theoretically possible for a time loop with a logical beginning to settle into an infinite loop which is indistinguishable from a predestination paradox.
THANK YOU, this is exactly what I'm trying to describe, only it makes sense.

Time travel is fun.

McNum

Speaking of which... If you have a 3DS and Nintendo Video installed, you might want to see the new Kid Icarus short. It has ponies, kind of. Giant wooden mechanical ponies, referred to as such.

Palutena does make for a pretty awesome pony, though. And of course she'd be an alicorn. She is a goddess, after all.

What I don't get is how Twilight DIDN'T know about the time spells.
She basically lived in the Canterlot Library.
And she loved Starswirl.
She obviously wasn't banned from that wing of the library.
Yet she acted like she had never been there before.

Either the writers got lazy, or Twilight has some serious memory gaps.

Orcastar

And she loved Starswirl.

That bothered me too. Not the fact that she didn't know about time spells specifically, but that she though it necessary to sneak into the archives. She's a student fer chrissakes, and not just any student either, but Celestia's star pupil! The fact that the guard she ran into knew her makes it even more strange.

Though I guess you could explain it all by saying she was sleep-deprived and not thinking clearly.

Theonik

So here's an interesting theory about the last episode:
Oh and welcome, Prade.
That's actually my theory more or less minus the whole extrapolation of Cerberus part.
Edit: Also Twillight could have possible have figured out the location of the timespells on her own on the first loop. She might have known that if such a spell existed it would be in the locked starswirl the bearded wing.
That bothered me too. Not the fact that she didn't know about time spells specifically, but that she though it necessary to sneak into the archives. She's a student fer chrissakes, and not just any student either, but Celestia's star pupil! The fact that the guard she ran into knew her makes it even more strange.

Though I guess you could explain it all by saying she was sleep-deprived and not thinking clearly.
It doesn't have to be just sleep deprivation, she may have thought that she had no access to that wing, tried to get there when she was younger and knew it was "the forbidden wing" the guard obviously knew Twillight and assumed that given the sense of urgency she had it must have been a mission for Celestia. After all, Twillight is well known for stopping Discord and saving Luna.
Editd2: And she reacted in a similar way about the philomena thing

Bakphoon

I agree with the sleep deprivation. That would be the most logical. I doubt she would have looked through the telescope at the sun if she wasn's sleep deprived.

Cheerilee

And she loved Starswirl.

Twilight's a spaz. I'm guessing that previously she saw the lock on the door so she always kept her distance, avoiding eye contact with the guards for fear that they'd suspect her of snooping and attack her.

The guards seem to know her quite well, and know that she's a (former) student, and that she has clearance, so apparently they'd gladly open the door for her if it looked like she wanted in, but I'm thinking she always made it look like she was doing something else and wasn't interested (even though she was really, really interested).

Plus the whole "forbidden" thing might have made Starswirl seem even cooler to her. And it's not like the "Starswirl wing" of the archive would be the only place to learn about him. It's possible that none of the reading materials in that wing were contributed by Starswirl, he just made a financial contribution and got a wing named after him.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
And she loved Starswirl.

she though it necessary to sneak into the archives. She's a student fer chrissakes, and not just any student either, but Celestia's star pupil! The fact that the guard she ran into knew her makes it even more strange.

I still think the better explanation about Twilight sneaking around is that her having freak outs and doing strange stuff is pretty normal for her, hence why the guard and Celestia didn't think twice about it.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Wouldn't it be awesome if the introduction and explanation of Tartarus turned out to be a Chekhov's Gun for some future episode?

CHEEZMO™;36052044 said:
Isn't that the Alex Jones show?

No, "Coast to Coast" is hosted by George Noory and is about Time travel, alternate universes, aliens, ghosts, etc etc.

Alex Jones' "Prison Planet" is about politics.

Better than what I found at my Walmart, some ass hole came in and slashed all the blind bags open and took all the ponies, it was about 8 of em.

Every Walmart I go to never has the Blind bags, so we resorted to just buying the whole box on-line. =D

As for the slash & grab, what kinda of Brony does that? Its not very pony. :(

ok I have two ways of explaining this.

1. time isn't cause and effect. it's just there. twilight knew because twilight told her where to go. it's as simple as that. how did twilight know in the first place? because twilight told her.

2. twilight said good spells are in canterlot. she wasn't looking for the back time spell. she was looking for a high level time spell. "by my calculations, the spell room (she doesn't say starswirl) should be around here somewhere." pinkie says "did you try that place over there? the starswirl the bearded area?" twilight looks and goes duh. she doesn't go there becaus twilight told her. she goes there because it's a big locked up room and assumes the spell she needs (not the time back spell) will be in there. so yes, she learns what to tell herself later and she didn't go there because of that information either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom