• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community |OT2| I just don't know what went wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razek

Banned
I know, that's why I put that warning there. I know how you feel about the show (and Twilight) so I suspected you wouldn't want to read the comic. Still, I don't think it's that bad though since it's pretty much a "that's what she said"-joke, where something is misinterpreted into a completely different (and sexual) meaning than what was intended. If it makes you feel better I guess you could say Twilight was innocent in the comic and Rainbow Dash was the real culprit.

Don't really know if this is what you're getting at with the paragraphs above, but I want to say this anyway. I can like comics like the one I posted above because it's just a joke and they don't try to portray the characters in a sexual manner outside of the joke. And as I said, I see it as just a joke and leave it at that. However, I find fanart where ponies are drawn in a clearly suggestive or sexual way much more creepy and scary, because someone somewhere is feeling attracted to it. I won't judge anyone since you can't really decide what you're attracted to, but I still find it a bit unsettling. I don't know if this is the double standard you're talking about, but I can laugh at sexual jokes and cringe at sexual fanart because they're in two completely different categories for me.

I've actually been wondering about their age for a while (this is btw completely unrelated to what I've written above). I mean, they have their own houses, moved away from their parents and some of them have a job so they can't be that young, but to have young adults as leads in a show for little girls seems a bit... off, for some reason.

EDIT: Not good to press quote, go grocery shopping and then answer. Thread moves too fast for that.

I think I have to agree. I really don't have an issue with any of this that you wrote. While the comic stuff can bother me, I don't think it should be censored. I'm the outlier. When I spoke of the double standard stuff, it was more of *Draw twilight in a compromising position+bed eyes* (so it's SFW (Tara's tweet is a good example)) and then people getting defensive with responses like "They are young adults you know, it's just a joke." It really doesn't seem like an excuse to me, because:

I think I have to agree. I really don't have an issue with any of this that you wrote. While the comic stuff can bother me, I don't think it should be censored. I'm the outlier. When I spoke of the double standard stuff, it was more of *Draw twilight in a compromising position+bed eyes* (so it's SFW (Tara's tweet is a good example)) and then people getting defensive with responses like "They are young adults you know, it's just a joke." It really doesn't seem like an excuse to me, because:

There is where it gets really complex. At what point do we cutoff the appropriateness of expressing sexuality? Is it age, how they act, how they look, ect?

To me, it's clear the characters in this show have the emotional maturity of ~12 year old females. From that, I can't conclude that these characters would make very informed decisions on anything related to that nature. That's where my stance on 'It's still basically little girls though, regardless of age' comes from.

In the end of it all though, I'm not a really good candidate for this defensive side. I feel our stances all rely on one key aspect, does it exist in the show? I have a very strange feeling I might be one of the very few who believes that to be no. Of course though, the large amount of ambiguity that was there throughout S1 was dashed apart in S2. I won't lie, S2 felt like a lot of fan-fiction at times.

Disclaimer: I had to think about these responses a lot. We all know my extreme stances here, so I'm trying my best to analyze why I'm biased.

I definitely see where you come from and agree with most of it, except for this paragraph:
To me, it's clear the characters in this show have the emotional maturity of ~12 year old females. From that, I can't conclude that these characters would make very informed decisions on anything related to that nature. That's where my stance on 'It's still basically little girls though, regardless of age' comes from.

I never got the impression that they're that emotionally immature, just compare them to the CMC to get a reference point for how young girls are. It might just be an in-universe thing that everyone is a little bit "silly", for lack of a better word. Just look at Luna, she's over a millenium old and still acts a bit immature sometimes. And for what it's worth, I have friends that are around 20 that I wouldn't call "emotionally mature."

I think this is the cause for how you feel, I know that if I felt the same way as you about their maturity I would think the same as you too. However, I do think of them as young adults so I have to agree with LuffyZoro on that point. I also find the "compromising position+bed eyes" pictures creepy, but that has more to do with them being ponies than anything else.

You're of course free to believe whatever you want, I'm just trying to explain my view and maybe helping you understand why you feel as you feel.

EDIT: Just remembered that I worked as a sub teacher last spring and had several classes with pupils that were around 12 years old, and none of them were anywhere close to the mane 6 in maturity.

Razek

Banned
I definitely see where you come from and agree with most of it, except for this paragraph:

I never got the impression that they're that emotionally immature, just compare them to the CMC to get a reference point for how young girls are. It might just be an in-universe thing that everyone is a little bit "silly", for lack of a better word. Just look at Luna, she's over a millenium old and still acts a bit immature sometimes. And for what it's worth, I have friends that are around 20 that I wouldn't call "emotionally mature."

I think this is the cause for how you feel, I know that if I felt the same way as you about their maturity I would think the same as you too. However, I do think of them as young adults so I have to agree with LuffyZoro on that point. I also find the "compromising position+bed eyes" pictures creepy, but that has more to do with them being ponies than anything else.

You're of course free to believe whatever you want, I'm just trying to explain my view and maybe helping you understand why you feel as you feel.

Fair enough, I suppose it could be construed as silliness as well. Unfortunately, that's my inner feelings on this whole thing skewing that for me. That's why this discussion was good to have. It's nice to hear another opinion on the matter.

akira28

To me, it's clear the characters in this show have the emotional maturity of ~12 year old females.

I guess this is the differing point right here, because I don't think they're young kids, say 12, or even teenagers. I see them as being full blown adults in their world. I just see that as the intended context, so I don't end up seeing the pedophilia angle, it just seems like blue humor to me. Just like when Looney Tunes would have inside jokes that were clearly adult, because they were actually the primary audience, there is a tradition of subverting the imposed "innocence" of a thing for sake of a joke or a gag. I can appreciate it. I don't really like the X rated stuff, but there is a level that can be pretty amusing in a way, or interesting in a non-threatening way, with made up adult situations. But of course, when you feel like you're watching people act out their fantasies with 12 year old girl ponies, I can certainly see why that would be extremely uncomfortable.

I guess perception is such an interesting thing, not only in how it affects how we see things, but how those perceptions can be so different, and the way it affects how we receive that common thing.

Razek

Banned
I guess this is the differing point right here, because I don't think they're young kids, say 12, or even teenagers. I see them as being full blown adults in their world. I just see that as the intended context, so I don't end up seeing the pedophilia angle, it just seems like blue humor to me. Just like when Looney Tunes would have inside jokes that were clearly adult, because they were actually the primary audience, there is a tradition of subverting the imposed "innocence" of a thing for sake of a joke or a gag. I can appreciate it. I don't really like the X rated stuff, but there is a level that can be pretty amusing in a way, or interesting in a non-threatening way, with made up adult situations. But of course, when you feel like you're watching people act out their fantasies with 12 year old girl ponies, I can certainly see why that would be extremely uncomfortable.

I guess perception is such an interesting thing, not only in how it affects how we see things, but how those perceptions can be so different, and the way it affects how we receive that common thing.

Yeah, perspective is definitely huge in this discussion. Like I mentioned before, I'm horribly biased because of my asexuality, so it's hard to relate to people sometimes. I don't mind a bit of dark humor here or there. I think my ultimate frustrations lie with all the rule and stuff, and how it blurs into the regular "take a jab" humor. I see things that probably aren't there, like feeling threatened every time it's brought up.

My Little Pony Friendship is Magic is a show about grown ass women.

efc4ba81218b083a8d54955d94c36c69.jpg

Orcastar

Some actual discussion for once? I'm shocked.

From what I understand, if someone goes to the post office and sets up a USPS international envelope, they should be able to set it up with correct postage (stamps will be about $1.50) so that the company can just stick it in their bulk mail and all will be well. The only issues arising from that I can see are fitting the international envelope into the initial envelope.

Anyone willing to do this for me? I'd pay for the envelope and stamps of course.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, perspective is definitely huge in this discussion. Like I mentioned before, I'm horribly biased because of my asexuality, so it's hard to relate to people sometimes. I don't mind a bit of dark humor here or there. I think my ultimate frustrations lie with all the rule and stuff, and how it blurs into the regular "take a jab" humor. I see things that probably aren't there, like feeling threatened every time it's brought up.

It's interesting that you take the opposite stance as Pandaman on this issue (who if I recall correctly has identified himself as asexual). I would have figured a desire for modesty stemmed naturally from shame felt when a person wishes to suppress overt sexuality (socially labeled as a taboo) to prevent it from invading their own.

Hmm... I don't think the above statement makes sense. It's hard to transmit my thought into words.

Razek

Banned
Some actual discussion for once? I'm shocked.

Anyone willing to do this for me? I'd pay for the envelope and stamps of course.

I can do it Monday. It says it can be postmarked till the 22th, so I think that should be alright time wise if that's okay.

It's interesting that you take the opposite stance as Pandaman on this issue (who if I recall correctly has identified himself as asexual). I would have figured a desire for modesty stemmed naturally from shame felt when a person wishes to suppress overt sexuality (socially labeled as a taboo) to prevent it from invading their own.

Hmm... I don't think the above statement makes sense. It's hard to transmit my thought into words.

I think I see where you are coming from. In nearly all cases strangely enough, I'm fine with whatever people want to do. Extreme rule, fetishism, and other crazy things don't really bother me at all. People are people. It's only when the injection of these elements into MLP, a universe I believe to be sincerely devoid of them, starts to gets my goat, which I assume stems from my personal reasons. Humanity has everything to sexualize, why can't we have just one thing without it?

While the issue is incredibly complex, and I don't want to really insinuate anything, I can only assume Panda maybe doesn't care for the show and its characters the way I do. (Not level of caring, method of caring)

Edit: Though I have to admit, I had no idea he was asexual either. I'm most certainly not the first on these boards then (going by Mumei's talk with me earlier)

LuffyZoro

I can do it Monday. It says it can be postmarked till the 22th, so I think that should be alright time wise if that's okay.

While that might be alright time-wise, they said that demand was higher than they expected (obviously), so it'll just be as supplies last.

I like how Youtube nowadays bottoms out my 2.8Ghz CPU and causes playing errors with 480p content, and sticks pop-up ads over the humorous subtitles, but if I cheat and just download the 720p version and play it in Media Player instead of a Youtube window, it glides along effortlessly and only uses about 20-30% of my CPU. Progress!

Youtube's tech is terrible. God, I hate the iOS app.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom