• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community |OT2| I just don't know what went wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razek

Banned
Image macros in general are best kept low key but there's nothing wrong with the occasional pony gif.

Even though that's encouraging to hear, I am still too afraid to pretty much say/do/act anything pony outside of this thread.

I think something important is that those people in the comments speak as though this is just everywhere or that we are taking over the world. It seems to me the internet did a good job of confining it into its respective dark corner and they still whine about it. Pretty much, I agree with your original statement and they won't be happy until we are all erased.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I mean, look at fans of shows like Lost, The Office, Community, and so on. They don't get shit. Even anime gifs get a better reception.

Razek

Banned
I mean, look at fans of shows like Lost, The Office, Community, and so on. They don't get shit. Even anime gifs get a better reception.

Sorry for me always being a bit timid, but I'm not 100% sure if you are being serious or not? Didn't community get pretty railed on hard here? I'm only asking because on the flip side I don't ever see anyone freak out over anime gifs.

Edit: Your new comment clears it up. Nevermind.

I don't have problems posting pony reaction images, and almost never get flack for it.

I have a license to Pony (and .gif).

Besides your E3 one that went over pretty good I'd say, I can't recall you ever posting anything pony related in OT/Gaming.

Razek

Banned
Well Community did get some flack but nowhere near as much.

It just doesn't feel fair. I don't really have a desire to post pony stuff 99.9% of the time but I feel a gif/brohoof/ect would fit here and there.

I guess I feel left out. Everyone on gaf posts things they enjoy without recourse. Panda posting wrestle gifs like a mad man in the gaf strict thread for example. No one ever complains there. I can't share the things I like because it's considered socially unacceptable. I know it's niche, but then the anime thing comes into play. I don't see anyone ever go "LOL animie gifz har har" with K-on or something.

I guess it's not really the gaf thing that's at the root of it. It's just being treated like a leper in general. Only my best friend knows about my pony obsession in real life. I have to hide it from everyone else. That's probably why I post here so much (sorry about that guys). It's my only outlet for it. You know, seeing all that hatred, people dismissing me just because of my avatar, just for who I am sometimes, it hurts.

South Park and Futurama thread recently saw Pony .gifs

Aren't those community type threads though? Well, I guess the 'Is gaf strict?' thread is kind of too in some regards. I don't know, I guess I'm not sure what I really am arguing for.

Maybe it isn't as verbally bad on gaf anymore. I still feel like everyone would hate me for it though, even if they don't type it out.

Razek

Banned
Keep in mind that just having a pony avatar is intolerable to many.

.... :D

Yeah, it's true. When I get a compliment from someone on Gaf, it feels really good because I'm not expecting it at all. Raxus's thing that he posted to me was sort of a half compliment, but it was nice to be acknowledged without being totally dismissed for once when ponies are brought up.

Razek

Banned
People are going to be assholes on the internet and hate everything you like. That pretty much sums up just about everything.

The problem I have is this is a coverup definition. It's too broad to be practical or helpful. There is no doubt pony fans (sans sonic fans but sometimes even that's not true) get it the worst here. My examples are pretty clear. Wrestle gaf doesn't get crap and they are very vocal and sizable. Anime gaf generally goes unscathed too except for the mega moe stuff. Kpop gaf seems to only be the one that gets crap, but they deserve it because they have a history of mass derailing threads.

Still, I'm not sure how much more I can ask for. We already had one 'white knighting' from the mod team before. I guess I just feel like venting today about something. I have thick skin, but having to put on a face all the time gets tiring.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I'm afraid of getting hurt though.
Staying bottled up is already hurting you.

Generally, the less you care the less others care. Just be able to provide for and take care of yourself and not have your interests be so limited you can't talk about anything else.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Stop leaning on the fence. Post a pony in a non pony thread by days end. I'm sure something appropriate will present itself.

Don't be a Fluttershy, be a Rainbow Dash.

Parfait

I have an entire repository of pony gifs I want to be able to post but I'm not a full-on member yet. I figure i'd get permad instead of warned if I go too far by accident or something.

UOyAI.gif

(it's my favorite)

Razek

Banned
Had a big long reply, but screw it.

Yeah, I'll try to take things less seriously. I generally don't take Gaf seriously though.

I won't stop myself from posting things I like, but that doesn't mean I'm going to do it today. If something like "Guilty pleasure songs/music stuck in your head" comes up again, I won't stop myself from posting an MLP song I like for example.

This isn't a dig at the moderation team but I have a feeling that if I posted pony reaction gifs as often as wrestle gaf abuses them I'd be warned/banned pretty quickly.

Bish nearly dropped the hammer on us a couple of times for the gifs, so we don't get away with it as often as one thinks.

Speaking of which, a member of wrestlegaf sent you a PM asking about synchtube, Hito.

Razek

Banned
Did something happen to SalsaShark? What's with the hardhats?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=493911

CHEEZMO™;42776362 said:
Take Hito-sama's advice. Not giving a shit was the best thing I ever did (didn't do?).

That doesn't really seem fair though when you want somebody you love to understand you, but know they wont. My dad would shoot me if he found out I was a brony (or other stuff). He'd say he would be okay with it, but deep down I know he'd want me dead. I kinda can't stop caring that my parents wouldn't accept me.

I took this out of my last post because it's borderline blogging now, so I won't continue with it. I just think showing that angle to the 'stop caring' issue is important. AKA, it's not always so easy.

Had a big long reply, but screw it.

Yeah, I'll try to take things less seriously. I generally don't take Gaf seriously though.

I won't stop myself from posting things I like, but that doesn't mean I'm going to do it today. If something like "Guilty pleasure songs/music stuck in your head" comes up again, I won't stop myself from posting an MLP song I like for example.

Yeah, just post little things like that. With my brother, when he did those Halo/MLP mini-figures, no one really said anything negatives to it. They predicted shit, but it never came (well, besides the Lego-supremacist, but that another story.)Of course, we are also working on Dark Souls themed one too. I don't expect anywhere near the amount of shit or reaction save the the Hollow looks fat, even still that's my own criticism.

Anyway, just post what you shall in due time. As long as you are spammy-lammy, it'll all work out!

And yeah! Finally new MLP in November! I have Regular Show to occupy me for now, so I don't mind the wait.

Kuugrr

Razek

Banned
I try not to swear...

Fucking people...

You were beaten last page. I was going to comment but I got caught up in the other stuff. I don't really see what's so bad? They are clearly actors, but it seemed supportive and way more tame than I was thinking.

That's how doc is feeling.

--
Also, yes, those videos are amazing. The AC one was kinda meh because it was in game stuff but the Portal one was class.

Cheerilee

So, basically most of Gaf then?

From my experience wandering into those kinds of threads in the OT, I would have to say that the vast majority of NeoGAF either doesn't care one way or the other about MLP, or that they're tolerant of differences.

It's a small minority that can't handle living in a world where bronies exist. I'm pretty sure that PonyGAF is bigger than the haters (assuming you include everyone on GAF who enjoys the show, not just those who identify themselves with the community). It doesn't always look that way because when those guys start one of their rage threads, the whole army of PonyGAF doesn't come crashing down on their heads, so it looks like a one-sided overwhelming wave of hate. Most of the community doesn't even jump in to try and counter it. Most bronies aren't looking to antagonize anything. Let them have their hate thread. Sometimes a few bronies can't help themselves, so they jump in swinging, and some other bronies who were watching might step in to try and settle things down, but most bronies aren't even watching, because those threads are really toxic, and I'd suggest you should stay clear of them. Don't allow haters to provoke you. It's not worth it.

Honestly, I would think that the "I gave this show a chance just to see what the buzz was about, and I'm just not feeling it, but hey, more power to you" crowd is bigger on NeoGAF than the haters.

It just doesn't feel fair. I don't really have a desire to post pony stuff 99.9% of the time but I feel a gif/brohoof/ect would fit here and there.

I guess I feel left out. Everyone on gaf posts things they enjoy without recourse. Panda posting wrestle gifs like a mad man in the gaf strict thread for example. No one ever complains there. I can't share the things I like because it's considered socially unacceptable. I know it's niche, but then the anime thing comes into play. I don't see anyone ever go "LOL animie gifz har har" with K-on or something.
They don't post without recourse. They're walking on a knife edge, because they're not afraid of getting cut. Panda famously almost got PonyGAF destroyed completely with one single post.

Everyone dies. Not everyone truly lives.

Don't get yourself banned trying to imitate a pro though. Bide your time and push the boundaries only when you feel that getting banned as a consequence would be worth it.

Razek

Banned
From my experience wandering into those kinds of threads in the OT, I would have to say that the vast majority of NeoGAF either doesn't care one way or the other about MLP, or that they're tolerant of differences.

It's a small minority that can't handle living in a world where bronies exist. I'm pretty sure that PonyGAF is bigger than the haters (assuming you include everyone on GAF who enjoys the show, not just those who identify themselves with the community). It doesn't always look that way because when those guys start one of their rage threads, the whole army of PonyGAF doesn't come crashing down on their heads, so it looks like a one-sided overwhelming wave of hate. Most of the community doesn't even jump in to try and counter it. Most bronies aren't looking to antagonize anything. Let them have their hate thread. Sometimes a few bronies can't help themselves, so they jump in swinging, and some other bronies who were watching might step in to try and settle things down, but most bronies aren't even watching, because those threads are really toxic, and I'd suggest you should stay clear of them. Don't allow haters to provoke you. It's not worth it.

Honestly, I would think that the "I gave this show a chance just to see what the buzz was about, and I'm just not feeling it, but hey, more power to you" crowd is bigger on NeoGAF than the haters.

They don't post without recourse. They're walking on a knife edge, because they're not afraid of getting cut. Panda famously almost got PonyGAF destroyed completely with one single post.

Everyone dies. Not everyone truly lives.

Don't get yourself banned trying to imitate a pro though. Bide your time and push the boundaries only when you feel that getting banned as a consequence would be worth it.

Eh, I dono. There are plenty of people I see in my gaf travels that say things like "...I skip anything anyone says against sony outright without a reason or has a pony avatar..." that are being serious but don't show up for those threads either. I think there are a lot of haters too that don't take the time or see those threads for their brief existences. I'm pretty sure they are afraid to get banned after the last incident. To be fair though, neither of us really have proof besides anecdotes.

The biggest thing I remember was actually what got me into the show. The "What's with the pony avatars?" thread last spring. That thing was going so fast with sooooo much hate it was unreal. Like half of gaf posted how they hate the bronies and the pony stuff should be erased from existence. I was really proud of ponygaf and how they handled themselves in it, so I decided to give the show a shot even though I really knew nothing about it.

We certainly do have a lot of tolerant people on here too. Most of them I remember when they speak out. Merrec in particularly is one of my favorite posters for standing up for ponygaf in a random unrelated thread once in a pretty aggressive manner.

As for the hate threads, I generally don't say much in them except to joke around. I said my piece way way back before I had joined ponygaf in one and felt that was good enough.

Razek, join us in IRC, we don't bite
hard

I tried but I wasn't really a fan. Also, nobody is like ever on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom