• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community |OT2| I just don't know what went wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember that survey awhile back from Build-A-Bear asking about My Little Pony plushes? Well, it's official now:

https://www.facebook.com/Buildabear/posts/10151726706055166

Granted, this can only be a good thing, in terms of selling to the girl market, BUt my concern is the following: 1. Quality. Build-a-Bear is somewhat hit and miss when it comes to licence property, speaking from experience taking mys sisters there. The fur friends and outside are no issue, but matching the look is what I am anxious to learn more about.

2. Price. This is a biggie too. Granted, going into those places, you know you are at minimum spending 30 something bucks on the cheapy bears, but what would a pony (or pony bear?) cost? Did those place do Spongebob, or some other character before? I recall something was sold, but the premium was not too absurd (like $5-10 over a standard bear, plus accessories of course)

We shall see. Any excuse to visit my local mall that has a Lego store is ok by me.. ;p

n8

Unconfirmed Member
Wait...
TTZrW.png

I can't have this happen. All the other things don't matter. Damn automation.

Cheerilee

Wait...
TTZrW.png

I can't have this happen. All the other things don't matter. Damn automation.

That really sucks.

For those who want to read up on it...
http://www.reddit.com/r/mylittlepon...bro_starts_to_take_down_friendship_is/c7y2l9j
https://twitter.com/SherclopPones/status/291812187306094592

TLDR: Hasbro did an automated purge of MLP episodes on Youtube, and it took out some fan-content as collateral damage. At which point Sherclop (among others) made some appeals claiming fair use, so Youtube sent the appeals to Hasbro, and Hasbro didn't read them. They just called the appeals garbage and threw them into the trash en-masse. Youtube sides with Hasbro, and if Hasbro says that parody is copyright violation (by virtue of tossing out claims to the contrary), then Youtube upholds the ban on Friendship is Witchcraft.

Bad move if true, Hasbro.

Edit: The next FiW should be done in "cat watches TV" visual-copyright-detection-avoidance style.

Link Man

Banned
That really sucks.

For those who want to read up on it...
http://www.reddit.com/r/mylittlepon...bro_starts_to_take_down_friendship_is/c7y2l9j
https://twitter.com/SherclopPones/status/291812187306094592

TLDR: Hasbro did an automated purge of MLP episodes on Youtube, and it took out some fan-content as collateral damage. At which point Sherclop (among others) made some appeals claiming fair use, so Youtube sent the appeals to Hasbro, and Hasbro didn't read them. They just called the appeals garbage and threw them into the trash en-masse. Youtube sides with Hasbro, and if Hasbro says that parody is copyright violation (by virtue of tossing out claims to the contrary), then Youtube upholds the ban on Friendship is Witchcraft.

Bad move if true, Hasbro.

Edit: The next FiW should be done in "cat watches TV" visual-copyright-detection-avoidance style.

Welp, might be time to leave the fandom.

judhudson

I am not sure if Hasbro is to be blamed, or YouTube. I have a feeling its still being automated somewhere along the process, and that no-one is taking the time from Hasbro to actually watch them, and rather just click an pre-set default option that YouTube has set up to remove videos.

I really think its YouTube and their shitty system of copyright detection, lumping all videos together, and Hasbro selecting a 'Mass Remove' option instead of checking out each individual episode.

A brief comment on the loss of FiW. I was iffy on recent episodes, but overall liked the series. I was expecting Hasbro to come down on them eventually, as it is a parody using heavy amounts of clips from episodes.

Was only a matter of time, sadly. This is NOT a Sega situation though, so be thankful for that (in which any little reference that is made is subject to copy-right infringement claims.)

So why are all the episodes still on Youtube?

Um, well.... hmm. Ahh, because, they are Door Lords! Seriously, probably an algorithm that treats parodys or non-episodes as a way of "hurting the brand." Although if they wanted to protect the brand, there are FAR WORSE things on youtube...

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Popular comic artist J. Scott Campbell, creator of "Danger Girl" and "Gen13" and a staple artist at Marvel and DC, is drawing one of the alternative covers for MLP:FiM #3.

F3hHe.jpg

Danger ponies!

akira28

Popular comic artist J. Scott Campbell, creator of "Danger Girl" and "Gen13" and a staple artist at Marvel and DC, is drawing one of the alternative covers for MLP:FiM #3.

Danger ponies!

Ohh if only he was drawing human ponies...He had a knack for cute women characters.

edit: those ponies look Gen1 scary.

Problem with that is they still won't give a fuck. They didn't want the fandom, they'll accept the money, but they don't know how to do this new fan movement thing because they're a peddler of cheap plastic toys. They were aiming for little girls and beleaguered parents, and if it goes back to that, they'll be back in their comfort zone.

But, I might be able to say I'll never buy a Hasbro toy for my kids...

tafer

Problem with that is they still won't give a fuck. They didn't want the fandom, they'll accept the money, but they don't know how to do this new fan movement thing because they're a peddler of cheap plastic toys. They were aiming for little girls and beleaguered parents, and if it goes back to that, they'll be back in their comfort zone.

But, I might be able to say I'll never buy a Hasbro toy for my kids...

I have to disagree with this. Hasbro has been rather "cool" (or maybe tolerant) with this fandom from the beginning. A bet that payed extremely well as far as we know. Of course, they have been perpetually clueless about how to deal with the fans but in general I think they are doing a good job. (Remember that we still can find the entire show on Youtube)

With that said, of course they are only after the money and at the end of the day they are just another heartless corporation. BUT this little experiment could invite other companies to be more accepting and open to "their" fans.

And let's not forget that any attempt to "kill" the fandom will likely be met with a backslash of biblical proportions.

I know this is a new page for the lesser 50 posts/page people, but it's the same Luna + Music page and I'm gonna post some stuff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itSU6GWYl9Y

I find this remix particularly mesmerizing and deserves more views!

I've got more but it's late. I've been spending a LOT of my free time playing Kid Icarus Uprising (wow Fanon Celestia = Canon Palutena for sure!) That remix is REALLY worth checking out though.

LuffyZoro

I know this is a new page for the lesser 50 posts/page people, but it's the same Luna + Music page and I'm gonna post some stuff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itSU6GWYl9Y

I find this remix particularly mesmerizing and deserves more views!

I've got more but it's late. I've been spending a LOT of my free time playing Kid Icarus Uprising (wow Fanon Celestia = Canon Palutena for sure!) That remix is REALLY worth checking out though.

That is a nice remix. Personally, I like this one about Pinkie.

Afrikan

I'm not joking here, I'm just saying how I was feeling at the time.

I had this guy walk up to me at work..I was at the front desk for a bit, and he was kind of large and had this big long coat....but his coat didn't seem like it was holding his belly or anything, it looked like he had some other stuff in there...and was acting weird, when I asked for his card.

seriously I thought he was about to pull out an assault rifle......but no he pulled out a pink long wallet looking thing that had a my little pony drawing. So everything went smoothly. But immediately thought of this group...and that was my first encounter with a community member....or at least that I know of.

Link Man

Banned

I had this guy walk up to me at work..I was at the front desk for a bit, and he was kind of large and had this big long coat....but his coat didn't seem like it was holding his belly or anything, it looked like he had some other stuff in there...and was acting weird, when I asked for his card.

seriously I thought he was about to pull out an assault rifle......but no he pulled out a pink long wallet looking thing that had a my little pony drawing. So everything went smoothly. But immediately thought of this group...and that was my first encounter with a community member....or at least that I know of.

I assure you, this is not representative of everyone. I keep my collection digital.

Cheerilee

Just to mention the obvious (and there's no indication that you think otherwise), we're not all creepy. From my perspective, most bronies are pretty normal, although even the normal ones can become uncomfortable and awkward when it comes to admitting to bronyism in any "normal" environment, but I think that's healthy and can lead to growing as better people.

MLP does tend to attract an above-average number of creepy people, but these people didn't appear out of thin air, they've always been here, and they've had other interests and been a part of other fandoms, like Star Trek or Twilight or whatever. If socializing helps creepy people become less creepy (and I'm pretty sure it does), then the creeps are welcome around these parts. Just as long as they don't pull out any assault rifles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom