• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community |OT2| I just don't know what went wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.
tumblr_mgjgyenmxu1qck5blo1_1280.png

Afrikan

Just to mention the obvious (and there's no indication that you think otherwise), we're not all creepy. From my perspective, most bronies are pretty normal, although even the normal ones can become uncomfortable and awkward when it comes to admitting to bronyism in any "normal" environment, but I think that's healthy and can lead to growing as better people.

MLP does tend to attract an above-average number of creepy people, but these people didn't appear out of thin air, they've always been here, and they've had other interests and been a part of other fandoms, like Star Trek or Twilight or whatever. If socializing helps creepy people become less creepy (and I'm pretty sure it does), then the creeps are welcome around these parts. Just as long as they don't pull out any assault rifles.

yeah no prob..
I work for the City of SF...so yeah I'm used to/and respect different types of people and I don't generalize. The guy was just holding his MLP wallet under his long coat, as if it were a big gun and mumbling his words...it was just weird that out came a Pink MLP wallet. Was not expecting that... just alittle funny story I thought some might enjoy.

I think he just has speech problems and is shy.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So wait, just after fans supported MLP Hasbro just took legal action?

Also I know fluttercord pics already exist but I wonder...

Seeing all of this artwork makes me like today's episode even more for some reason. I thought it was great, but many people seem to be saying that they didn't like it. I dunno, I just found it to be really enjoyable and the ending gave me some feels.

I enjoyed the new episode, hearing John reprising his role made my day, but overall they could have done something way better by bringing Discord back. Still a nice episode though.

Didn't like the message at the end of the episode. I realize it's a kids show and having a cynical message might be against the rules, but telling kids that being a pushover for bullies will lead to everything working out can and probably will lead to problems.

I do have to agree seeing all this friendshipping art with Discord and Fluttershy is great! Even before this episode aired a lot of the stuff produced was entertaining.

And yeah I'm in the "Ehhhhhhh" crowd for the episode.

Fluttershy fixed Celestia's boyfriend.

And then they shipped and wrote fics all about it.

Welcome to the new world which is just like the old one with a more possible OTP!

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Liked the ep :) Though I do think the ending could have use a little more "The End...?" if you know what I mean.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
You had your fun, now go delete that crap before someone gets banned :/

Shame I missed whatever that was... oh well.

That said, yesterday I went to a rather large "Brony" meetup thing at a local Gameworks/mall visit This group included a local group I had already been in contact with, and I believe two others. Overall was a fun meetup, and I learned alot about the fandom through this microcasm event. Let me explain below:

The artists/graphic designers: I swear I never wanted to say this out loud, but yesterday proved it: PonyGaf artist here (like bufbaf and Myke specifically), STOP SELLING YOURSELF SHORT! Bufbaf, the group loved your remixes, and Myke, they loved your art. I know they aren't EQD but I suppose I am tried of seeing nice things be soo belittled. You guys are appreciated.

The artist, and one digital artist there were discussing this with me, and the overall feel is that yes, maybe you get the trolls, and some asses will say "your art sucks and I wouldn't pay even a dollar for that crap" But you don't listen to those ones. You listen to yourself. Sadly, I completely forgot to take pics of this lady's "scribbles", I swear were the cutest things ever. (A 'wubbu-face!' Discord with Fluttershy and some one else being stand-offish. Oh, and a very happy Scoots I requested for a certain Owl...) I mean, for a "5 minute no edit pencil to paper" drawing, I thought they were great, yet she felt as of she shouldn't charge for them. I gave her money, because I couldn't take the one she drew for free. Wouldn't be right.

The card collectors: THIS I believe is where the creepy/weird side of the fandom resides (no offence meant to anyone here please.) The two oldest guys (who were either 40 or 50) and another guy were extremely pushy, and obsessive about these things. Now, it may have been, because I had cards to trade/give away... but I really didn't like the fact that the cards weren't seen as characters by two of them.. but "Oh, that's 5, that a 22, oh, can I have that 13 dollar one?"

It was.. off-putting. Now, I must confess... I am no card guy. I do like rare cards, and after seeing a guy go nuts he found a 150 dollar card one ebay for 40, I realized this wasn't something I wished to REALLY get into. I suppose I am just that way. I have no problems giving out cards to people (ask the Owl or Myke) I don't care about worth per se.. as I just simply like the characters.. but after that.. I was put off for collecting. (still will keep the ones I have! and give out more.. if people here want.)

Crafters/plushies! Two of the people made reasonable plushes, and also were asking my brother about how to mod Brushables. These people, were both part of the.. for lack of a better phrase.. "Pinkie people" i.e. People who are happy to be out, happy to be here, and happy to talk to us. I actually didn't mind them, and was nice having a friendly debate over which clay and molding materials were the best. At least they knew what they were talking about.

Speaking of... Belle Eve was a favorite, although I am unsure if people knew who she was or not, as well as the Zed the Zony. My brother was actually confused at this, but I figured out why by asking. The bat-wing mare, despite her being more detailed (and therefore more complex) was probably seen as a typical "flashy-dash" character, whereas Zed was, for all intents and purposes, just a male zony being himself. I am hopeful that this will help both the guy who wants to make his own, and for the few interested, maybe a few commission for the future (as my brother does deserve some credit there). My own burro was played with so much... his ears kept falling off.

The plushies present were commissioned pieces that were brought to show off (I'll have pictures later). I like the Rarity one even included a fucking sofa or whatever, as the guy put it "because Rarity would never allow herself to be on a dirty old public table". Made me laugh, and the work was very good. I'm hoping my own sister goes along with her plans to make some. Would be fun...

Everyone else: There were about.. 4 or 5 guys I didn't get to talk to throughout the day, but overall it was a mix of mainly happy fans, some awkward older guys, and a couple what some would call the "creepy cloppers" but thankfully talks were limited on that subject and the meetup I thought was a nice time.

Putting this out there, as I was dared to do so: I introduced myself as a newcomer, and "probably the only guy who hates Pinkie" to the group. Although many were surprised, it wasn't a big deal as I thought, and thankfully they heard me out, and even debated on it a bit (I shan't go into too much here.. boring as you all know already). The Rarity fan and I had more of a fallout, but it was all in good fun, when he simply declared "There is not another beautiful and elegant white and purple Unicorn like Rarity." I laughed, and ended our lil discussion. It was nice to have, I must admit.

Well, hope this wasn't too off-topic. watch this space, or another for the pictures. Thanks ;p

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Excellent report
Considering that this is the MLP:FiM community thread, I think this is anything but off-topic here. Thank you so much for you great post, I really enjoyed reading it, here are a few comments on it.

Regarding your words about the appreciation of art, it is my belief not that hard to deserve appreciation if you have anything that you can do well and you work hard, but it's a totally different thing to get perceivable appreciation in a field that is so over-saturated with good artists. It takes an enormous dose of commitment to the community to get noticed regularly, and only a few people are able to combine great talent and self-motivation to get there. I feel that I'll never be one of those, for better or worse. Being up there means that you owe something to the people who put you there, and from then on, you'll just have to keep on giving... FOREVERRRRRR!

Hardcore card collectors are just like that in any place of the world, and whatever collection we're talking about. They see the economy of trading as the big part of the appeal of collecting, and will regard people who don't see that appeal or follow those rules as pitiable.

It's interesting that you equate the "older fans" with "awkward". I am what can be considered an "older fan", and although I have never been to a brony fan gathering, I wonder about the way I would be regarding in such an environment. Would I be "awkward" just for being "old"? Do those people deserve that label, or are they being put in an awkward situation just on account of being "old"? Yeah, I know I am a bit socially awkward, but I wouldn't like to go to a gathering of people who would judge me for my age, as if they weren't themselves subject to that in the society at large for their preferences...

Considering that this is the MLP:FiM community thread, I think this is anything but off-topic here. Thank you so much for you great post, I really enjoyed reading it, here are a few comments on it.

*a few skipped deatils*

It's interesting that you equate the "older fans" with "awkward". I am what can be considered an "older fan", and although I have never been to a brony fan gathering, I wonder about the way I would be regarding in such an environment. Would I be "awkward" just for being "old"? Do those people deserve that label, or are they being put in an awkward situation just on account of being "old"? Yeah, I know I am a bit socially awkward, but I wouldn't like to go to a gathering of people who would judge me for my age, as if they weren't themselves subject to that in the society at large for their preferences...

Yes, I figured that was the reason, but you and a few artist tend to beat yourself up way too much at times. STOP IT! ;p

Card collectors. Again, I didn't mean to just mean the MLP guys, but these guys I offered things for whatever, as it isn't a big deal to me, and BECAUSE they belittled me, I didn't give them anything. I wasn't because I am an ass (although... never mind ;p) but honestly if someone GIVES you something, DO NOT make fun of them to their face! Seriously. Yes, I shall also admit, I was heavy into the old Pirates collectible build-able card games, but even then the rush was finding the super rares because THE STATS, not the money! ;p

In other words, don't treat me as stupid, nor like I am unaware of the value. Like the Scoots shiny card thing I gave to Owl? I HAVE 5 MORE! ;p

About the age thing.. I must first apologize, but I should have said WHY they seemed creepy. One was one of the card collectors who scoffed me, and the other... well, was way too close to me during the meet.. in a fucking creepy-ass way! I don't.. feel comfortable having personal space violated like that. I didn't mean to make it seem, because they were older, they aren't welcome. Besides those two anyway, I believe I was the older guy of the group, so.... for that, and my lack of not explaining the why.. I obviously must say I am sorry. I did come off ageist, or whatever.

You were happy what is this i don't even

It happens... I enjoyed myself. Yes, I also have friends, despite what I may exude here...

You could be my friend, too... if you wanted to. Just sayin'

Edit: I don't mind this whole FluttershyxDiscord thing... even as friends. It is cute.

$200

Banned
Okay, i'm suuuper curious as to why people are really into this and might give it a look sometime. Any reason why I should? :eek:

Well like any hobbies, movies, tv series, etc, the best reason to try something new is that you may discover something new that you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom