• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community |OT2| I just don't know what went wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.

McNum

Okay, i'm suuuper curious as to why people are really into this and might give it a look sometime. Any reason why I should? :eek:
Because you're super curious? That seems a good enough reason to me.

Also for the fun of watching a cartoon that frankly is much better than it has any right to be as a 22 minute toy commercial. That part alone is worth a few episodes at least.

As for where to start, you'll get a lot of opinions on that, but just going from the start with Season 1, Episode 1 isn't a bad idea. It'll introduce you to the cast, set up the various plot points and mislead you into thinking the show has more action that it does. It's more a slice of pony life show. Although when things do get heated, there's no shying away from action scenes.

It's difficult to pinpoint exact what the big deal is, though, even for someone who likes the show. I think part of it is just how unashamedly happy and optimistic the show is, without being nauseatingly cute. Oh, it can be cute, it's very much cute. But it knows exactly how far it can push cute without being too much. Except for in gags. There's also the part that the characters are all generally likeable. Although how much you like each character varies from person to person.

Anyway, I suggest you try it out, see if you like it. Then come back and tell us why you did or didn't.

Well like any hobbies, movies, tv series, etc, the best reason to try something new is that you may discover something new that you like.

That is definitely true, for sure. I just hear so much about it, especially with the memes/Bronys. (Which is something I really don't understand, yet.) But i'll definitely give it a chance whenever I can get access to it.

Shame I missed whatever that was... oh well.

That said, yesterday I went to a rather large "Brony" meetup thing at a local Gameworks/mall visit This group included a local group I had already been in contact with, and I believe two others. Overall was a fun meetup, and I learned alot about the fandom through this microcasm event. Let me explain below:

The artists/graphic designers: I swear I never wanted to say this out loud, but yesterday proved it: PonyGaf artist here (like bufbaf and Myke specifically), STOP SELLING YOURSELF SHORT! Bufbaf, the group loved your remixes, and Myke, they loved your art. I know they aren't EQD but I suppose I am tried of seeing nice things be soo belittled. You guys are appreciated.

The artist, and one digital artist there were discussing this with me, and the overall feel is that yes, maybe you get the trolls, and some asses will say "your art sucks and I wouldn't pay even a dollar for that crap" But you don't listen to those ones. You listen to yourself. Sadly, I completely forgot to take pics of this lady's "scribbles", I swear were the cutest things ever. (A 'wubbu-face!' Discord with Fluttershy and some one else being stand-offish. Oh, and a very happy Scoots I requested for a certain Owl...) I mean, for a "5 minute no edit pencil to paper" drawing, I thought they were great, yet she felt as of she shouldn't charge for them. I gave her money, because I couldn't take the one she drew for free. Wouldn't be right.

The card collectors: THIS I believe is where the creepy/weird side of the fandom resides (no offence meant to anyone here please.) The two oldest guys (who were either 40 or 50) and another guy were extremely pushy, and obsessive about these things. Now, it may have been, because I had cards to trade/give away... but I really didn't like the fact that the cards weren't seen as characters by two of them.. but "Oh, that's 5, that a 22, oh, can I have that 13 dollar one?"

It was.. off-putting. Now, I must confess... I am no card guy. I do like rare cards, and after seeing a guy go nuts he found a 150 dollar card one ebay for 40, I realized this wasn't something I wished to REALLY get into. I suppose I am just that way. I have no problems giving out cards to people (ask the Owl or Myke) I don't care about worth per se.. as I just simply like the characters.. but after that.. I was put off for collecting. (still will keep the ones I have! and give out more.. if people here want.)

Crafters/plushies! Two of the people made reasonable plushes, and also were asking my brother about how to mod Brushables. These people, were both part of the.. for lack of a better phrase.. "Pinkie people" i.e. People who are happy to be out, happy to be here, and happy to talk to us. I actually didn't mind them, and was nice having a friendly debate over which clay and molding materials were the best. At least they knew what they were talking about.

Speaking of... Belle Eve was a favorite, although I am unsure if people knew who she was or not, as well as the Zed the Zony. My brother was actually confused at this, but I figured out why by asking. The bat-wing mare, despite her being more detailed (and therefore more complex) was probably seen as a typical "flashy-dash" character, whereas Zed was, for all intents and purposes, just a male zony being himself. I am hopeful that this will help both the guy who wants to make his own, and for the few interested, maybe a few commission for the future (as my brother does deserve some credit there). My own burro was played with so much... his ears kept falling off.

The plushies present were commissioned pieces that were brought to show off (I'll have pictures later). I like the Rarity one even included a fucking sofa or whatever, as the guy put it "because Rarity would never allow herself to be on a dirty old public table". Made me laugh, and the work was very good. I'm hoping my own sister goes along with her plans to make some. Would be fun...

Everyone else: There were about.. 4 or 5 guys I didn't get to talk to throughout the day, but overall it was a mix of mainly happy fans, some awkward older guys, and a couple what some would call the "creepy cloppers" but thankfully talks were limited on that subject and the meetup I thought was a nice time.

Putting this out there, as I was dared to do so: I introduced myself as a newcomer, and "probably the only guy who hates Pinkie" to the group. Although many were surprised, it wasn't a big deal as I thought, and thankfully they heard me out, and even debated on it a bit (I shan't go into too much here.. boring as you all know already). The Rarity fan and I had more of a fallout, but it was all in good fun, when he simply declared "There is not another beautiful and elegant white and purple Unicorn like Rarity." I laughed, and ended our lil discussion. It was nice to have, I must admit.

Well, hope this wasn't too off-topic. watch this space, or another for the pictures. Thanks ;p

Oh So we live relatively close to each other? I couldn't make the meetup due to work unfortunately :( My sister and I REALLY wanted to go.

Any problems with the recent episode can be placed solely on this guy
http://intensedebate.com/people/TeddyAntonio/2
He wrote the story at 15 and used his parents connections as professional writers to get it sent to DHX. At this point I'm writing it off as bad fan fiction.

Huh, I was wondering who it was.

Again in all fairness, I really had no problem with the episode overall, I think there's only so much you can cram in to 20 minutes. Hope he doesn't become a victim of hate mail or anything :/

Cheerilee

He wrote the story at 15 and used his parents connections as professional writers to get it sent to DHX. At this point I'm writing it off as bad fan fiction.

I'm not fond of the idea of a well-written show with seriously-talented writers finding a 15-year-old kid and saying "Awww, you're a writer too? How adorable. Here, have an episode." And I'm not convinced he's a good writer. I supposed he could be a very good writer, but on first impression after clicking on that link, I'd say your assessment feels accurate.

Buuuttt... according to him, he just wrote the outline. After being tossed an idea from the idea board that doesn't seem like one of their stronger ideas (Fluttershy and Discord are roommates... Go! Write something based on that!)

And, after he finished the outline, Meghan claimed they "hit a snag" and needed a full script in two days, so she picked up his outline, thanked him for his contribution, and then dropped it on Dave Polsky (IMO, the worst MLP writer), instead of MA Larson, the guy who previously wrote for Discord.

And then Dave apparently deviated from the outline in several ways, like the outline originally had Celestia tying Discord down with an Inuyasha-style punishment necklace, and had nothing to do with Discord trying to create a rift between Fluttershy and the group.

I would say that if Dave filled out the details, and he wasn't bound by the rough outline, then it's really just a Dave Polsky episode, and a special-guest kid was allowed to suggest a direction for him. And if the "we need a full script in two days" thing wasn't just a trick to prevent the kid from actually trying to write an episode, then it was a rushed Dave Polsky episode.

Frankly, I'm surprised it was as good as it was (John DeLancie helps), and I'm glad I stuck to my policy of not reading the writer's credit on my first viewing (preconceived notions never help my enjoyment of an episode).

ChildrenToEat4.jpg

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
That this is actually happening is a little troubling to be, even if I was expecting the episode to have problems the second I saw Dave Polsky's name on the screen.

LuffyZoro

Aw, I was gonna post that one brian. But yeah, that Discord is good too. I like his jokes and games, as well as pictures of Fluttershy though, so I'm fine with how things are now.

AJ's getting a good view.

judhudson

Eeee...almost done with the Chrysalis plush. Hope to finish her up either tomorrow or Wednesday. All that is needed is a mouth, eyes and her crown.

PaulloDEC

Hi everyone! I've been following this thread for a good couple of months, but now my account has been approved and I can actually join in the conversation.

Hi everyone! I've been following this thread for a good couple of months, but now my account has been approved and I can actually join in the conversation.

Hi there.. this is your neighborhood burro saying hi. Now, what brings you? the show, the art, the community? Welcome anyways.

That discord is.. a Discord!

PaulloDEC

Hi there.. this is your neighborhood burro saying hi. Now, what brings you? the show, the art, the community? Welcome anyways.

Thanks for the welcome :) I'm primarily a show guy, but I really love seeing all the art posted here too. As for the community, there always seems to be something interesting going on, which is fun to keep up with.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Some people know I wasn't too fond of the first issues' cover art, but these are amazing. If that Luna one is available as a phone wallpaper somewhere (or without the logos in proper size), please tell me.

Thanks for the welcome :) I'm primarily a show guy, but I really love seeing all the art posted here too. As for the community, there always seems to be something interesting going on, which is fun to keep up with.

Cool Cool, Oh, just to warn you: There is an Ow....
*Images of comics*

I, Owlowiscious, like how if you switch back and forth on the last two the mlp logo is in the exact same spot.

Damn it, too late. Just keep your Scoots away, and you'll be fine.

I want the one with the baby Sweetie Belle... makes my chest hurt, for some reason.

Cheerilee

Some people know I wasn't too fond of the first issues' cover art, but these are amazing. If that Luna one is available as a phone wallpaper somewhere (or without the logos in proper size), please tell me.

The "regular" variant covers for the first four issues were all done by Andy Price, the artist who did the story art inside the first four issues.

The seemingly most-popular variant covers for the first four issues were done by guest cover artist Amy Mebberson.

Andy Price is switching out as the story artist, And Amy Mebberson is switching in, starting with issue five. Whatever anyone thought about the interior art on the MLP comics, it's going to change. As a result, the "regular" covers are all Amy Mebberson covers now. I don't know if they're eventually going to switch back to Andy Price, or if they're going to switch in a third or fourth artist (they have plenty of guest cover artists, including Sibsy).

The Luna cover seen above is Amy Mebberson's.

The misty moonlight one signed by "AMF!" is an alternate cover by Anthony Fleecs, who did the art for issue #2 of the "Micro Series" spinoff (Andy Price is doing #3).

Honestly, the excessive milking of the comics is killing my enthusiasm for them, especially since I don't even know if I like them yet. But I'm sure they don't mind, because this formula is successful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom