• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community |OT2| I just don't know what went wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
with the confirmation, i can safely say i'm out after saturday, barring my mind being blown

it was fun

Keep in mind that this is almost certainly a spinoff, and not season 4.

It will be interesting how they rebound in S4, given that it seems pretty obvious that they thought S3 was the end and that's why we've gotten a bunch of end stories for all the ponies.

PaulloDEC

It will be interesting how they rebound in S4, given that it seems pretty obvious that they thought S3 was the end and that's why we've gotten a bunch of end stories for all the ponies.

We did? I also didn't realise there was ever any suggestion that FiM was set to end after S3, especially given that the Hasbro rep in the leaked Equestria Girls materials refers to MLP as a "top-priority brand".

Regarding Equestria Girls, I don't see any reason to panic or jump ship just yet. We haven't heard anything to suggest it'll cause trouble for FiM.

if the episodes of s3 were supposed to be the end stories for the characters, that's just depressing

if anything, i hope s4 means they can do a real ending, that satisfies (assuming s3 is so amazing it makes me forgive the corporate/marketing/merchandise/legal division for doing everything they've ever done ever, and i watch it)

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
We did? I also didn't realise there was ever any suggestion that FiM was set to end after S3, especially given that the Hasbro rep in the leaked Equestria Girls materials refers to MLP as a "top-priority brand".

Regarding Equestria Girls, I don't see any reason to panic or jump ship just yet. We haven't heard anything to suggest it'll cause trouble for FiM.

S3 was produced almost a year ago, and it's common for cartoons to have 65 episodes to get to syndication. It's not at all unlikely that the season was well into production with the idea that this was going to be it.

PaulloDEC

S3 was produced almost a year ago, and it's common for cartoons to have 65 episodes to get to syndication. It's not at all unlikely that the season was well into production with the idea that this was going to be it.

Huh, interesting. So if S3 was finished with sometime last year, do we think the FiM team has been working on something different between then and now? I'm not too clear on what kind of time period it takes to get a season from start to finish.

Do we have any idea when S4 is set to air?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Huh, interesting. So if S3 was finished with sometime last year, do we think the FiM team has been working on something different between then and now? I'm not too clear on what kind of time period it takes to get a season from start to finish.

Probably not till late summer/fall. It's going to be a long wait.

A lot of people (especially on Ponychan) like seaon 1 the most. For me it's 2 >> 1 > 3. I like the episodes in 3 more than 1 but 13 episodes is just too short.

That's the same for me as well, I really think the removal of the ei standards it was just able to do so much more. I'm hoping Season 4 with the return of writers like AKR and hopefully ones like Charlotte Fullerton (I have a huge increase of respect for her since I saw her episode of Green Lantern), Cindy Morrow, and maybe Chris Savino we'll see a much more solid return to form.

I think they're talking Adventure Time there, not Friendship is Magic. I've only watched a couple of AT episodes, found it a little too weird for me.

On this note, I've enjoyed what I've seen so far, I do agree it's a little *too* weird sometimes. From playing so much KI, I'll never be unable to unhear Viridi instead of Princess Bubblegum. I think I'm much more excited about seeing more in the world of Gravity Falls.

Concerning the recent "confirmation" of a certain rumor. I have to admit that /mlp/ is quite something, not only it is the first place to receive the leaks but some interesting stuff get posted from time to time. Naturally, to get the best of it you have to deal with the trolls, radioactive levels of cynicism, tons of r34 and the usual stuff that makes you lose hope for humanity... such a great place.

And mandatory:
8bcnqta.jpg

So I just told my sister about the rumor, and she's ecstatic, she loves the idea. Because of that I'm more optimistic than ever (although it really depends on the staff behind this) . Thinking about it, I wonder if the Internet was on in the 90s how Transformers fans would react to the news of Beast Wars and if it would be similar to this.

Since I am totally lost on which confirmations are confirmed or whatever, I shall only say, that I am here until the bitter end.

I am hopeful things are good, and such, but I am a cynic at heart. That said, I want to believe things will be ok, as my sister is hopeful for season 4 and the possible "spinoff" mentioned.

We shall indeed see...

Okay, now that I've calmed down slightly, I can safely say that I can't just leave a show (thats on TV, if I need DVDs to follow new ones and it's not worth it I'll drop)

But if I merely have to turn on the TV and watch, I'll stick with it just for the investment I've already put into it.

Just know that soon I might be on hatewatch status, and expect the complaining and mocking to rise. But after 32.5 hours of my life spent watching episodes and multiple times more on the community and fanworks, I can't just not watch, only watch and bitch on the internet week after week until it's over.

tafer

Ah well. Hopefully it'll be enough time for fandom to collectively cool down and regain a little optimism.

It's a long wait and the fandom has been taking too many major hits lately. Seriously, if S3's final episode isn't "satisfying", I don't think the fandom will do that well during that period.

And yeah, I have no hopes for the spinoff. At this point, I think it's better to assume that it's going to be utter shit.

PaulloDEC

It's a long wait and the fandom has been taking too many major hits lately. Seriously, if S3's final isn't "satisfying", I don't think the fandom will do that well during that period.

I'm actually starting to wonder if I should try to remove myself from the main fandom channels once S3 has wrapped up. It's fun to keep up with the news, but I'm not sure I enjoy the show more as a result of reading cranky comments or knowing which writers I like and which ones I don't. I watched the entirety of S1 and S2 without any links to the fan community, and it was great. Being part of the community changes the way you think, and not always for the better IMO.

tafer said:
And yeah, I have no hopes for the spinoff. At this point, I think it's better to assume that it's going to be utter shit.

I'm trying my best not to assume anything. At this stage I'm just thinking of it as something that doesn't concern me, and I'll try to keep doing that until it's out in the wild.

tafer

I'm actually starting to wonder if I should try to remove myself from the main fandom channels once S3 has wrapped up. It's fun to keep up with the news, but I'm not sure I enjoy the show more as a result of reading cranky comments or knowing which writers I like and which ones I don't. I watched the entirety of S1 and S2 without any links to the fan community, and it was great. Being part of the community changes the way you think, and not always for the better IMO.

May sound weird for some, but for a lot of fans, the best part of the show is the fandom.
Pretty important, in my opinion, since I think that's the reason why the pony fandom is so incredibly creative and prolific... and so reactive and dramatic.

I'm trying my best not to assume anything. At this stage I'm just thinking of it as something that doesn't concern me, and I'll try to keep doing that until it's out in the wild.

Nice surprise > Bitter disappointment!

Orcastar

As apposed to a 5-10 year old girl show? Yeah, I guess that would be an older audience.

The funny thing is that the kind of things that appeal (or that studio execs think will appeal) to 12-year-old girls are much less likely to appeal to adult viewers than the things that (based on FiM seem to) appeal to 5-10-year-olds.

Like I said before, I don't see any way how this new show could be anything but utter shit. It would take a miracle to make it appeal to as wide an audience as FiM, and without someone like Faust at the helm, there's simply no chance of that happening. Of course I would love to be proven wrong and I'll watch a few episodes as soon as they hit YouTube, but my expectations couldn't be lower.

PaulloDEC

May sound weird for some, but for a lot of fans, the best part of the show is the fandom.
Pretty important, in my opinion, since I think that's the reason why the pony fandom is so incredibly creative and prolific... and so reactive and dramatic.

I can totally see that, and I definitely wouldn't be leaving the music or fan-art behind. It's more the behind-the-scenes stuff I think I could do without.

Cheerilee

MLP was running high when Hasbro and DHX signed on for S3, the only question was "why only 13 episodes?". And Hasbro apparently communicated to DHX that it was for "special reasons" that DHX wasn't allowed to reveal. There was no deal for S4 at the time of the S3 signing, but DHX would have to be super pessimists to proceed on the assumption that the show was wrapping up and there would be no S4. Unless DHX wanted it to end there.

And I think people give too much weight to the 65 episode thing. Just because you can fit 65 apples in a box, it doesn't mean it's automatically time to quit picking apples just because a box is full. If there are still apples on the tree, you grab a new box. Boxes are cheap. Experienced farmers stop picking apples on an even 65 because they know they're basically done for the day thanks to other factors, but they'd like to finish up one last box before they leave.

Roughly...

-First they do all the business stuff in getting the next season confirmed.
-Then they come up with basic ideas for the episodes.
-Then the writers run off and write episodes based on those ideas.
-Then artists like Sibsy work with directors to draw up the storyboards, which "direct" the episode and translate the script's words into visuals.
-Voices get recorded with the help of scripts and storyboards and directors.
-The storyboards go to Top Draw in the Philippines to get fully animated.

Lauren Faust quit the show and Jayson Thiessen took her place during S2's production, and IIRC all of the S2 scripts were written and she had seen some storyboards. At this point, S1 hadn't yet finished airing on TV, and she held off on letting people know she left because she didn't want to cause any interruption for the viewers.

The S3 voice acting started recording when S2 had barely started airing.
http://www.equestriadaily.com/2011/11/tara-strong-confirmed-season-three.html

Basically, the show starts airing after a few episodes have been animated 100%, but not all of them. The animators keep working away slowly while we watch the show and gain on them. But they should finish their job before the season ends.

And while the animators are working on one season, the business and writing and voice acting are all getting a jump on the next season, behind the scenes. On one end of production, they can be a year ahead of us. On the other, we're biting their heels.

Jayson Thiessen and DHX were probably working on the business side of getting "Human Ponies: The Movie" made while we were watching the first Discord episode, which as you may recall, was made by Lauren Faust as part of season 1, and while we were wondering if the show could ever be the same without Lauren.

akira28

Holy shit. Not only are they insane, they're doing an end run on Lauren's Galaxy Girls. I don't mean the concept, but the whole 'cartoon about magical color coded girls' thing. That's a pretty blatant fuck you.

Orcastar

Holy shit. Not only are they insane, they're doing an end run on Lauren's Galaxy Girls. I don't mean the concept, but the whole 'cartoon about magical color coded girls' thing. That's a pretty blatant fuck you.

Well damn, didn't even think of this. I wonder if Faust would have grounds to sue, seeing as she did pitch Galaxy Girls to Hasbro before...

tafer

I didn't think of that... that's seriously fucked up. But, at the same time, I doubt Faust is considering (or ever will) work with Hasbro again. Unless she doesn't mind to expose her Galaxy Girls concept to their whim.

I can totally see that, and I definitely wouldn't be leaving the music or fan-art behind. It's more the behind-the-scenes stuff I think I could do without.

The drama is delicious!
But yeah, It's normal that people would prefer to avoid it. It's more like an acquired taste.

and now it's time for

the 9001 times better than equestria girls will be hour, starring the fandom

i mean, i understand that good art takes money and effort, and you don't want to put any effort in your shows because you don't respect your audience, i get that, but still

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom