• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community |OT2| I just don't know what went wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDGAME

Look what I found to sell in the supermarket :

20130303_145001.jpg
That child is my daughter.

She is holding a easter egg made of chocolate and with a toy in the middle.

I love easter.

Cheerilee

I just realized the whole Equestria Girls thing reminds me of another Hasbro spinoff that didn't go so well.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-EWRjJVI3CgY/UE3bnUTbazI/AAAAAAAACNo/oUyxklZYZP8/s1600/beast03.jpg

Beast Machines

Nah, that's what happens when the showrunners of an amazing show quit suddenly, and the new showrunners are given total freedom to do whatever the hell they want.

After Lauren Faust and Rob Renzetti quit gradually, Jayson and Meghan took a year to calm things down, and made a below-average half-season before doing whatever they want. Totally not the same thing.

Nah, that's what happens when the showrunners of an amazing show quit suddenly, and the new showrunners are given total freedom to do whatever the hell they want.

After Lauren Faust and Rob Renzetti quit gradually, Jayson and Meghan took a year to calm things down, and made a below-average half-season before doing whatever they want. Totally not the same thing.

Never knew the circumstances, I was just talking about the design and fan reaction

You all need to hear this: Eye of the Seed, a mashup of Eye of the Tiger and Babs Seed.

My Pony music backlog is getting out of control again, thanks for the link. Will listen to it.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
We don't even know who's in charge of Equestria Girls, so it's a bit of a reach to try and blame it on FiM showrunners. Hub is merely taking its most popular girls line, and trying to adapt a spinoff to go up against big toy powerhouse brands like Monster High.

BDGAME

We don't even know who's in charge of Equestria Girls, so it's a bit of a reach to try and blame it on FiM showrunners. Hub is merely taking its most popular girls line, and trying to adapt a spinoff to go up against big toy powerhouse brands like Monster High.

Monster High is a really bad show, no? Are the rumors, that equestria girls is focused for bronies, true?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Monster High is a really bad show, no? At least, the rumors that equestria girls is focused for bronies, are true?

Nothing is known about Equestria Girls other than it's a spin off, and will have a 66 minute movie. These pictures, which hasn't even been confirmed are all there is.

$200

Banned
Nothing is known about Equestria Girls other than it's a spin off, and will have a 66 minute movie. These pictures, which hasn't even been confirmed are all there is.

Has it been confirmed that the 66 minute movie will be EG not FIM? I'd hate to see they betting so much money and resources on a new series instead of a tried and tested one.

LuffyZoro

In a manner of speaking. So instead of a MLP fighting game we get a generic fighter with a big name attached to it. I'll probably try it out but I don't see myself really getting into it.

Yeah, while it's nice that Lauren is helping them, the game isn't really Fighting is Magic anymore, and that's what I had been hype for.

To everyone who is losing their excitement:

Are you saying that if Lauren Faust announced a new cartoon/comic/toy line/video game (reality in this case), you wouldn't be excited?

This is about more than a game now, this is about a new universe and cast of characters made by Lauren Faust, and I'm hype for that.

akira28

Yeah, while it's nice that Lauren is helping them, the game isn't really Fighting is Magic anymore, and that's what I had been hype for.

If it has ponies...or horses, I'll be there.

(or human ponies who transform into OC fighter ponies. Any resemblance to cartoon ponies on television are purely coincidental.)

$200

Banned
Didn't notice that their ears are the same colors of their, well, pony form.
Only adds to the ugly.

The worst offense to me above the overall ugliness and G3 RDish hair is that they're putting lipstick and skirt on Dashie. LIPSTICK, on my Dashie?!

Cheerilee

I wasn't being serious. Just twisting the facts to play along with the "we're all doomed" thing. I'm currently optimistic about our new anthro overlords.

Never knew the circumstances, I was just talking about the design and fan reaction

Yeah, Beast Wars was made by Bob Forward and Larry DiTillio and Mainframe Entertainment. They made S3 on the assumption that there was going to be an S4, and they set up another one of their epic cliffhangers.

• Megatron II kills Optimus Primal
  • Megatron II destroys the time/space continuum
  • Megatron II gets a Decepticon warship

But then at some point in the production of S3, even though the show was doing well and Fox wanted an S4, Bob and Larry somehow concluded that they were done, and the show was done (I blame Hasbro). They decided that the audience deserved an ending, not a cliffhanger, but they "couldn't bear to do it" themselves, so they hired Simon Furman, a fan-favorite Transformers comic book writer, and showed him their cliffhanger, and asked him if he could find a way out of it, as well as wrap the entire show up in a nice little bow, all with just one episode (and this might have been the origin of the legendary missing episode where
Rattrap tries and fails to bring Dinobot back from the undead
, because they only had a fixed number of episodes to work with, so if they wanted to have an ending, one episode had to be cut somewhere).

Then, even though Bob Forward and Larry DiTillio "ended" the show, Hasbro gave it to Bob Skir and Marty Isenberg to make S4, and they were allowed to do whatever they wanted with it. And, they killed it.

Has it been confirmed that the 66 minute movie will be EG not FIM? I'd hate to see they betting so much money and resources on a new series instead of a tried and tested one.
They're apparently using the movie as a launchpad for a new series. Based on how well the movie is received (and they hope it will be very well received), they might green-light production on a 26-episode "season 1" of anthro-ponies, likely to be made after MLP S4, that way we don't need to wait a year for more pony, we just wait six months and then the flavor changes.

In a manner of speaking. So instead of a MLP fighting game we get a generic fighter with a big name attached to it. I'll probably try it out but I don't see myself really getting into it.

So ponies are what you need in fighters? Better stop playing now.. ;p Not even Capcpcom will ever do that! ;p

To everyone who is losing their excitement:

Are you saying that if Lauren Faust announced a new cartoon/comic/toy line/video game (reality in this case), you wouldn't be excited?

This is about more than a game now, this is about a new universe and cast of characters made by Lauren Faust, and I'm hype for that.

That is how I see it, people bitching and complaining about "It isn't ponies, WAAH are dumb, ignorant, and need there head examined for a second.

(and before I continue, I AM TRYING to be nice here.. but seriously..!)

I am done. I have nothing to add. People stop whining. I shall stop too! ;p

=========================

Went to another Brony meet thing in the High Desert this time. Had loads of fun. The smaller venue REALLY helped me get to know most of the people there, and as usual, everyone liked the brushables-conversions (but never asked about prices, or when I told them, I laughed when they said "too expensive", and showed a 175 dollar equivalent online!)

That said, I was a bit of an ass yesterday, and thankfully apologized to everyone. But overall, was fun!

My sister joined us as well this time, and meet a guy she now likes and he likes her too ......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

I am unsure how to interpret/feel about this... I have both the conflict of I like this dude.. and also, I am the bigger brother. What to do.. ;_;

=============================

As for Equestria Girls.. I am trying it out.. I loved G3 just barely to suffer through Minty's Christmas (which no one yesterday knew about!!! grr!), so I can TRY one episode!

brian577

Banned
So ponies are what you need in fighters? Better stop playing now.. ;p Not even Capcpcom will ever do that! ;p

The game has the same mechanics as a hundred other fighters. A fan made game based on MLP, that is pretty much all the game had going for it. The characters are what we love about the show, the same was true for Fighting is Magic. The unique personalities and quirks were expressed in their attacks just as they are expressed in the show by their actions and behavior. These new characters will have no established background or personalities they will be blank slates who I will have no attachment to. It would be like Hasbro replacing Spike with another dragon and expecting us to all love him as much as the original.

People will always pine for what could have been. It's human nature. I respect Mane 6's efforts to keep the project going and ensure all their efforts were not in vain, but the project no longer holds my interest. I respect your opinion but IMHO it would be better to let the project die than to have it thought as inferior version of what could have been.

judhudson

The game has the same mechanics as a hundred other fighters. A fan made game based on MLP, that is pretty much all the game had going for it. The characters are what we love about the show, the same was true for Fighting is Magic. The unique personalities and quirks were expressed in their attacks just as they are expressed in the show by their actions and behavior. These new characters will have no established background or personalities they will be blank slates who I will have no attachment to. It would be like Hasbro replacing Spike with another dragon and expecting us to all love him as much as the original.

People will always pine for what could have been. It's human nature. I respect Mane 6's efforts to keep the project going and ensure all their efforts were not in vain, but the project no longer holds my interest. I respect your opinion but IMHO it would be better to let the project die than to have it thought as inferior version of what could have been.

Pretty much this. I respect Lauren Faust for helping with the project - even creating a new IP for the game. Many kudos to her. But the only reason I was interested in it to begin with was because of Ponies. Now it'll be another standard fighting game. Will it be good/interesting? With Faust's track record, perhaps - more than likely it will. But I won't be following it anymore like I have been doing.

I don't understand why couldn't they tweak the game a little and parody the show with the game. Give them a little different design, different names, etc. Wouldn't they be protected then by parody laws?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Pretty much this. I respect Lauren Faust for helping with the project - even creating a new IP for the game. Many kudos to her. But the only reason I was interested in it to begin with was because of Ponies. Now it'll be another standard fighting game. Will it be good/interesting? With Faust's track record, perhaps - more than likely it will. But I won't be following it anymore like I have been doing.

I don't understand why couldn't they tweak the game a little and parody the show with the game. Give them a little different design, different names, etc. Wouldn't they be protected then by parody laws?

FYI, I think if you get sued on these grounds you have to go to court and argue that your work is parody. In other words, legal fees, going up against lawyers Hasbro could afford, etc.

This may be a reason why a lot of projects that get a C&D fold and don't try to fight it, even they could be rationalized as parody works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom