• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community |OT2| I just don't know what went wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parfait

american cartoons for children, nothing comes of it.

Z61Ej.png

Good thing MLP is canadian

kunonabi

Just forget the TV series and start getting your pony fix from the comics.

I don't think that's necessary yet. If the Alicorn stuff continues to be handled badly and comic Twilight stays normal than it might be a good idea. The comic needs fewer internet jokes and the writing for Rarity has to improve though.

Orcastar

I don't think that's necessary yet. If the Alicorn stuff continues to be handled badly and comic Twilight stays normal than it might be a good idea. The comic needs fewer internet jokes and the writing for Rarity has to improve though.

Internet jokes? It's full of movie references, but I didn't notice any internet jokes.

kunonabi

Internet jokes? It's full of movie references, but I didn't notice any internet jokes.

The newest one had one with those those rage face comics that use "le" and I think there were a few more but I would have to read them again to remember what they were.

Parfait

The only internet joke i noticed was 'le close', and that's it as far as i can remember. People get worked up about the littlest things...

kunonabi

The only internet joke i noticed was 'le close', and that's it as far as i can remember. People get worked up about the littlest things...

I'm pretty sure there was a trollface gag as well but I'm not a certain about it. They aren't in your face or anything but they still take me out of what's going for a sec. Rarity's poor writing is a much bigger issue for me.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I liked season 3. Might not have been as good overall as season 1 and 2, but it will still enjoyable, and I got a cliffhanger out of it. Pony puts out a season like S1 of TNG, then I'll worry.

S3's only big problem for me was that it could have used tighter pacing in most episodes, but the stories were solid. Sleepless in Ponyville is my second favorite episode in the series. While season 2 had higher highs than S3 (Hurricane Fluttershy), nothing in S3 hit the lows of S2 (MMMYstery and Mare do Well). I liked how Discord was handled, I like that all the ponies were giving soft endings that would have been acceptable had Magical Mystery Cure been the series finale. I'm eager for S4. There are a lot of different directions they go go form here, and of course, there's good and bad ways they could handle all of them. But these writers have earned my faith that they won't muck it up.

It put it in GAF terms, I believe.

And on another topic, I'm having fun with the latest comic...
DHQvgDf.png

tafer

I liked season 3. Might not have been as good overall as season 1 and 2, but it will still enjoyable, and I got a cliffhanger out of it. Pony puts out a season like S1 of TNG, then I'll worry.

S3's only big problem for me was that it could have used tighter pacing in most episodes, but the stories were solid. Sleepless in Ponyville is my second favorite episode in the series. While season 2 had higher highs than S3 (Hurricane Fluttershy), nothing in S3 hit the lows of S2 (MMMYstery and Mare do Well). I liked how Discord was handled, I like that all the ponies were giving soft endings that would have been acceptable had Magical Mystery Cure been the series finale. I'm eager for S4. There are a lot of different directions they go go form here, and of course, there's good and bad ways they could handle all of them. But these writers have earned my faith that they won't muck it up.

It put it in GAF terms, I believe.

And on another topic, I'm having fun with the latest comic...
http://i.imgur.com/DHQvgDf.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

Doctor, I expected from you to be a little bit more critical about this season. Specially considering that S3 presents the worse Celestia of the show. Instead of the wise and maybe a little bit mischievous leader, we had an irresponsible, sociopath and Machiavellian despot.

Bad stuff doctor, bad stuff!

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Specially considering that S3 presents the worse Celestia of the show. Instead of the wise and maybe a little bit mischievous leader, we had an irresponsible, sociopath and Machiavellian despot.
Except it didn't...

tafer

Except it didn't...

Oh , but she was!

Irresponsible:
- Leaving Discord with the mane 6 and then returning to Canterlot to do something else, as if there was something more important to do.
- Giving Twilight a dangerous spell without telling her what it could do.

Sociopath:
- Again, giving Twilight a spell that it's going to torture the poor pony and her friends.

Machiavellian:
- Who cares if a few background ponies suffered, we have a new princess!

And just in case, there's a line that separates what you can blindly trust to someone and what you can't. S3 Celestia clearly crossed that line repeatedly.

Oh, and one more thing. Dave Polsky wrote a lot of episodes of S3. Actually, he wrote more than any other writer. I thought you didn't like this guy.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Oh , but she was!

Irresponsible:
- Leaving Discord with the mane 6 and then returning to Canterlot to do something else, as if there was something more important to do.

She had to leave. Discord hates Celestia, she would have just complicated matters. Maybe if poor Fluttershy didn't have to do everything on her own because none of her friends would even try to reform him. Not to mention she left them the means to turn him back to stone if needed. Maybe Canterlot was suffering another Cockatrice attack.

Sociopath:
- Again, giving Twilight a spell that it's going to torture the poor pony and her friends.

Who says she knew what it did? Starswirl didn't have the elements, and who knows what would have happened when the spell was used with no Elements around. Even Celestia only kept the magic element with her after Luna's banishment.

Machiavellian:
- Who cares if a few background ponies suffered, we have a new princess!
Ponyville is a dangerous place. they've been through worse, including an incident Twilight knowingly caused.

And just in case, there's a line that separates what you can blindly trust to someone and what you can't. S3 Celestia clearly crossed that line repeatedly.
Celestia didn't coddle Twilight, least not after a point. Twilight had to learn how to do things on her own. She wants to the ponies to be able to handle things without her, to build them up.

Oh, and one more thing. Dave Polsky wrote a lot of episodes of S3. Actually, he wrote more than any other writer. I thought you didn't like this guy.
He's not my favorite writer, but he's done good. Feeling Pinkie Keen is probably my least favorite of his episodes, but that was long back in S1.

tafer

She had to leave. Discord hates Celestia, she would have just complicated matters. Maybe if poor Fluttershy didn't have to do everything on her own because none of her friends would even try to reform him. Not to mention she left them the means to turn him back to stone if needed. Maybe Canterlot was suffering another Cockatrice attack.

There is no evidence that Discord hates Celestia. And if I recall correctly, Celestia asks Fluttershy, directly, to do the job. And the part of the elements is just poor story telling, as it was the part about mind control spells. Not only it destroys the previous interpretation of the character Discord but it also opens a can of worms. (and plot holes)

Who says she knew what it did? Starswirl didn't have the elements, and who knows what would have happened when the spell was used with no Elements around. Even Celestia only kept the magic element with her after Luna's banishment.

I don't know where you got the part of the magic element (Can't remember anything about it). And if Celestia didn't know what the spell did, it only reinforces my point of her being irresponsible. And to be honest, any discussion about that spell is going to be difficult. Not only is confusing as it gets, if I recall correctly the staff of the show is not even sure what it does.

Added to that, the horrendous lack of world building only adds questions. All we can do is question if Celestia knew (sociopath) or not (irresponsible) what it does. And as far as we know, looks like she had an idea: Without the elements (assuming they were required, yay for bad writing!), the "destiny" swap had not happened, therefore: no lesson, no finished spell, no ascension and no coronation.

Celestia didn't coddle Twilight, least not after a point. Twilight had to learn how to do things on her own. She wants to the ponies to be able to handle things without her, to build them up.

As I said, there is a point where you become irresponsible. S1 and S2 Celestia hardly crossed it, S3 happily breaks it. Think about it, without need, she presents difficult (often risking their lives) problems to her peasants, brings little to no help and offers no reward to 5 of them.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I don't know where you got the part of the magic element (Can't remember anything about it). And if Celestia didn't know what the spell did, it only reinforces my point of her being irresponsible. And to be honest, any discussion about that spell is going to be difficult. Not only is confusing as it gets, if I recall correctly the staff of the show is not even sure what it does.

Very first episode, you see Celestia defeat NMM and she's wearing the big crown thingy. It's logical to say she took the element of magic with her, as it was the only one of the elements not at the castle when Twilight and company found them 1000 years later.

We also know that Celestia has been watching Twilight. You're just trying to find ill intent where it's obvious that none exists.

As for Discord, he had to be reformed to be brought back. Just like the character he was inspired by, he was too powerful. And the characters had the ability to turn him back to stone. All they could have done is have him steal the elements again, and again. That would has sucked. Just like with Q, they had to change the relationship between him and the others by making him less of a villain. Even in the episode, Discord says he'll use his powers for good, most the time. He's still mischievous. The only difference is he now has a conscience and sees the consequences of blindly bringing chaos to the world.

tafer

Very first episode, you see Celestia defeat NMM and she's wearing the big crown thingy. It's logical to say she took the element of magic with her, as it was the only one of the elements not at the castle when Twilight and company found them 1000 years later.

We also know that Celestia has been watching Twilight. You're just trying to find ill intent where it's obvious that none exists.

Hmm... If I recall correctly, the magic element was lost or it was suppose to appear under certain circumstances. Can't remember correctly.

And come on dude, it's obvious that the show runners do not want these traits on their characters. BAD writing and planing are doing that to their show.

I know I sound cynical but believe or not I like to think that S3 suffered from external problems that affected the show. With those problems in the past, I hope S4 comes and brings so much needed world building and character development, not only restoring the quality of the show, but also redeeming everything that went wrong with S3.

As for Discord, he had to be reformed to be brought back. Just like the character he was inspired by, he was too powerful. And the characters had the ability to turn him back to stone. All they could have done is have him steal the elements again, and again. That would has sucked. Just like with Q, they had to change the relationship between him and the others by making him less of a villain. Even in the episode, Discord says he'll use his powers for good, most the time. He's still mischievous. The only difference is he now has a conscience and sees the consequences of blindly bringing chaos to the world.

I love the idea of a returning Discord, I even like the idea behind the episode and I have to say that both Discord and Fluttershy were at their best in that episode. The problem is simple, the idea was poorly implemented.

Actually, I would say that the episode follows a pattern you can notice in other episodes of season 3: X has to happen, don't bother too much about the "why", the "how" and the implications. Just make it happen.
With that in mind, it's not hard to see why S3 ended with some highly undesirable traits: rushed, characters neglected, no or poor world construction and finally, wasted potential.

Hmm... If I recall correctly, the magic element was lost or it was suppose to appear under certain circumstances. Can't remember correctly.

It was an epiphany power, ignited by the "spark" when Twilight realized how much she needed her friends or something.

McNum

at least were getting some actual discussion, this place is usually just an art dump.
And what's wrong with a little art dump?

Especially when I made it myself.

Presenting: "Spirited Spelunkers Spy Spellbinding Spinels"

Shading is hard... but rewarding when you pull it off.

Xzeon

Banned
And what's wrong with a little art dump?

Especially when I made it myself.

Presenting: "Spirited Spelunkers Spy Spellbinding Spinels"

Shading is hard... but rewarding when you pull it off.

hmmm, i like this.

the lighting effects are strange, but awesome.

the angular look of the darkness and shadows against the bright lights and color.

love how Rarity is designed. lots of soft corners, kind different looking eye shape.

i dunno, the whole thing looks off, but i really like it.

also, light up Luna.

RaisingtheMoon-noscale.jpg

McNum

The light is blue-tinted, by a lot. Rarity's magic aura is blue and in all the examples of the basic light spell from the show, the light is the color of the aura. When Snips cast it, it was yellow and Twilight's is purple. So, I have the entire image is underneath a transparent blue layer set to Overlay in order to make that effect.

Basically, I took shading over-the-top for this one. I probably won't be quite as extreme with it for other images, but I figured it would be a good way to learn to shade properly. Also, Myke pointed out the Blur tool's virtues for me in Paint Tools SAI. I may have gone a little overboard in using it.

But I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Could be better if the same idea was drawn by someone better than me, but I've only been drawing for real for four months. Can't wait to see what I can do in another four.

EDIT: Is that a model? That's pretty cool. The small lights in her mane and tail are a nice touch.

Xzeon

Banned
The light is blue-tinted, by a lot. Rarity's magic aura is blue and in all the examples of the basic light spell from the show, the light is the color of the aura. When Snips cast it, it was yellow and Twilight's is purple. So, I have the entire image is underneath a transparent blue layer set to Overlay in order to make that effect.

Basically, I took shading over-the-top for this one. I probably won't be quite as extreme with it for other images, but I figured it would be a good way to learn to shade properly. Also, Myke pointed out the Blur tool's virtues for me in Paint Tools SAI. I may have gone a little overboard in using it.

But I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Could be better if the same idea was drawn by someone better than me, but I've only been drawing for real for four months. Can't wait to see what I can do in another four.

EDIT: Is that a model? That's pretty cool. The small lights in her mane and tail are a nice touch.

i really like the picture, the lighting and darkness and shading is so strange, but its cool. id like to see more in this style.

and i think thats a sculpture someone made.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer

Keep in mind that the more light you have on surfaces in a room, the more light you have scattered increasing the brightness of everything in the room. In other words, ambient lighting.

Of course, given certain surfaces and room geometries this can allow for varying levels of contrast from a point source, and there's the matter of exposing, obscuring, or hiding that source from the camera, but it's something to think about.

Cheerilee

Who had that happen to them? I notice Andy Price still has his stuff up on DA before he got into the comics.

Amy Mebberson, the new artist for the upcoming story arc.

http://amymebberson.tumblr.com/post/37272432240/mlp-art-update

Hey folks,

So I regret to announce that once again, due to circumstances beyond my control, I have had to delete ALL recent MLP artwork, including the official comic stuff. Turns out all official Hasbro artists have rules to follow which we were only just informed of.

Once again, I’m so sorry that I can’t share any Pony comic or fanart for the time being. Them’s the breaks when you get to work on a great comic series like this and I must respect Hasbro’s rules.

DISNEY stuff, on the other hand, the party keeps on rockin’ ;) Disney iz awesome.

$200

Banned

Well the fanart will still be on other sites even if an artist removes them from dA, so it essentially doesn't matter too much.
http://www.derpibooru.org/tags/artist-colon-amy-mebberson.

--

Anyway, the 4th issue of the comic book series and the first micro series came in my mailbox today.
The micro-series I read it with a low expectation because I had heard the art is poor - which is kind of true. you can easily find a lot of pony comic artists on dA that do better. The story itself is pretty nice and simple. Overall it's a bit pricey but decent.

#4 on the other hand was pretty bad - easily the worst so far. I was expecting Twilight to outwit Chrysalis or beat the changelings with teamwork, friendship or whatever. But instead, she just went super-saiyan and single-handly blast the the whole changeling army by herself. That's just lazy story writing.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

That's just weird that there's different rules for different artists. Again, Andy Price still has his stuff up.

Anyways, back to Egophiliac.

tumblr_mjg6hdRwFM1rxzaoho1_1280.png

#4 on the other hand was pretty bad - easily the worst so far. I was expecting Twilight to outwit Chrysalis or beat the changelings with teamwork, friendship or whatever. But instead, she just went super-saiyan and single-handly blast the the whole changeling army by herself. That's just lazy story writing.

I also would have preferred more teamwork in the finale, but given that they wrote in the magic boosting comet, I didn't really find it a point that ruined the story. And we got the amazing Celestia and Spike story at the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom