• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community |OT2| I just don't know what went wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parfait

Yhiqpg4.gif

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So Double Rainboom was show tonight. Should be up on youtube soon.

Non spoiler comments.

It was a fun thing to watch. It didn't take itself too seriously or try to fit into cannon. The voices were well done (Twilight and Pinkie especially). The animation was adequate, and the music was top notch.

As long as you weren't expecting something like the show, you'll have a good time.

And it wasn't an emotional blackmail piece like Snow Drops was.

EDIT: They uploaded it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26BQ0HNtDmI

blamite

Non spoiler comments.

It was a fun thing to watch. It didn't take itself too seriously or try to fit into cannon. The voices were well done (Twilight and Pinkie especially). The animation was adequate, and the music was top notch.

As long as you weren't expecting something like the show, you'll have a good time.

I'd say it was disappointing but that would imply i expected it to be good. If only as much effort was put into the writing as the animation.

brian577

Banned

Non spoiler comments.

I liked it expect for
expect for the Powerpuff girls being total dicks

Cheerilee

I'd say it was disappointing but that would imply i expected it to be good. If only as much effort was put into the writing as the animation.

I'd say it's biggest problem was it's timing. It really needed an editor.

The animation, I would say, was a little too "try hard". They seemed to put a lot of time and effort into things that even the original show doesn't have enough time/money to do, which sounds nice in theory, but it didn't really work for me in this instance. It just seemed like the animators had ADD and they didn't know to sit still, they always had to be doing something.

And the music was the same. It lacked subtlety. It's like they just needed to have a musical response to everything the animators were doing. They also seemed to lose sight of the overall feeling and emotions of the story, because they were focusing too much on individual scenes.

The story was appropriate for a five minute "Hey look, I'm making a Pony animation!" project, and it got fluffed out to 30 minutes (that's even bigger than a real Pony episode) by the out-of-control animation and music guys.

The dialog was appropriate for the small story, but it was edited badly and disjointed, and it seemed that most of the time, conversations were broken up because the animators needed another two or three seconds to finish up a facial expression in between lines.

That's just me being critical though. It's not as good as the official show, but it's miles better than what I could do.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
If they had tried to make it just like the show, fans would have complained. Instead they made it not only a send up to MLP, but to Lauren Faust. I think that worked to their advantage, because they were able to go way outside the box as far as story goes.

Cheerilee

If they had tried to make it just like the show, fans would have complained. Instead they made it not only a send up to MLP, but to Lauren Faust. I think that worked to their advantage, because they were able to go way outside the box as far as story goes.

- Twi makes power-up potion.
- RD drinks it.
- RD has a burst of speed and breaks into Powerpuff World.
- RD beats up a monster.
- The Powerpuffs want to keep RD.
- Pinkie saves RD using her fourth-wall powers.

I don't think the problem is that the story wasn't close enough to the show, or that it was too far outside the box, I just think that's a five minute story.

If the animators had animated it as a five minute story, I think would've flowed better, and then they'd have more time and experience to work on a bigger sequel. Or, if they really wanted to animate six times as much on this one project, they could've stepped away from the basic paint-by-numbers flash MLP:FIM formula that all the fan-animations are doing, and found a way to pour six times as much effort into just five minutes of animation.

The credits were amazing.
They reminded me of Pixar's credits.

Loona

Well they certainly marketed this wrong, I wouldn't have cared to watch if i did see the spoilers,
i love me so crossovers
. Then again, it's been mostly promoted int he brony fandom, who'd watch anyway and get the benefit of surprise.

Those credits scene could be worth expanding on, maybe having the original shorter, than making a longer episode expanding on things.
Ms. Bellum as Hooves' companion, Trixie/Mojo Jojo brag-off, etc...

$200

Banned
36857562.jpg

I loved Double Rainboom! Amazing animation and music - sure it's got some minor problems here and there like pacing and overall writing, but some people are being way too critical. I bet if this was to show on TV most audience wouldn't be able to tell it's not made by the studio.

PaulloDEC

Just finished Double Rainboom. Obviously it's all over the place storywise, but as an animation project it's pretty amazing. Funnily enough, I think I liked the BBBFF-style sequences and the credits more than the rest; they were really nicely done.

Orcastar

I'd say it's biggest problem was it's timing. It really needed an editor.

The animation, I would say, was a little too "try hard". They seemed to put a lot of time and effort into things that even the original show doesn't have enough time/money to do, which sounds nice in theory, but it didn't really work for me in this instance. It just seemed like the animators had ADD and they didn't know to sit still, they always had to be doing something.

And the music was the same. It lacked subtlety. It's like they just needed to have a musical response to everything the animators were doing. They also seemed to lose sight of the overall feeling and emotions of the story, because they were focusing too much on individual scenes.

The story was appropriate for a five minute "Hey look, I'm making a Pony animation!" project, and it got fluffed out to 30 minutes (that's even bigger than a real Pony episode) by the out-of-control animation and music guys.

The dialog was appropriate for the small story, but it was edited badly and disjointed, and it seemed that most of the time, conversations were broken up because the animators needed another two or three seconds to finish up a facial expression in between lines.

That's just me being critical though. It's not as good as the official show, but it's miles better than what I could do.
Pretty much agree with this. The story itself wasn't bad, but the direction/editing/pacing just dragged everything down. It definitely shows that the guy in charge is first and foremost an animator.

Still it was nice overall. Not as good as I was hoping it would be, but by no means terrible.

Wow, these people are assholes.

XwnLh8W.png
And yeah, it definitely doesn't deserve this.

Edit: it seems the above status update has since been taken down.

LuffyZoro

Double Rainboom wasn't bad, and the animation itself was pretty good (though not the "100% show accurate" that they promised), but I did have a bit of a problem with the dialog and story.

That Slice comic is really good.

Amaron

Banned
I enjoyed Double Rainboom. My biggest gripe was that it was hyped to the moon and back with "show-accurate" and whatnot claims. Them proving to be false was my biggest annoyance. Other than the obvious plot and pacing problems, the voice actors made me cringe as well.

Though, this is in essence just an animation student's portfolio submission so it's no small wonder everything else took a backseat to it. The three animation styles were certainly impressive in one episode, but it feels like they were trying to hard in some places or that could just be the pacing.

blamite

Problem with Double Rainboom is that they tried to do much more than they were capable of in terms of animation and made writing an entertaining story seemingly their last priority. The only reason anything happened was so they could do some visual joke that went on for way too long, thus leaving long stretches of nothing actually happening at all. The only thing anything happened was so they could animate it and then a story was reverse-engineer from that and that's the wrong way to do it. You'd think someone would have looked at the Powerpuff Girls section and said, "hey, this has absolutely nothing at all to do with anything and has absolutely zero effect on the plot, what's the point?"

They really needed someone with writing talent and good comedic timing but they really only cared about the animation I guess. At least the "get Spike" joke at the end was funny.

Wow, these people are assholes.

XwnLh8W.png

But they're not wrong!

Cheerilee

McCarthy better not be screwing with us.
https://twitter.com/MMeghanMcCarthy/status/317683018644996096
Disabled Scoots?

I just realized.

Question: Do you know if there is an episode that talks about disabilities?
Answer: Yes.

The question wasn't "is there an episode?", the question was "do you know if there's an episode?".

The answer is obviously yes. Meghan is the story editor. Naturally she knows whether or not there is an [upcoming MLP] episode that talks about disabilities.

And her answer was just "yes", not "yes, there is".

Orcastar

WeLoveFine has announced a new range of pony fragrances for men:

Power of Pony Homme Cologne

At last, the fragrance collection for men that will increase your animal magnetism so much... it's almost like MAGIC! Turn heads everywhere you go (or canter, or fly...) with Power of Pony Homme colognes. Three unique scents, each a bold statement that says hey, let's hoof it out of here and have some fun.

Power of Pony... because no one can resist a man with a cutie mark.

Click the pic for individual product descriptions.

PaulloDEC

You're all probably way ahead of me on this one, but if anyone hasn't watched the "Love is in Bloom" sequence from Canterlot Wedding really closely before, I urge you to do so. Dash, Fluttershy, Rarity and Applejack all get unique and hilarious dance moves.

WeLoveFine has announced a new range of pony fragrances for men:

The funniest part of that is that I'm certain it'd sell.

judhudson

You're all probably way ahead of me on this one, but if anyone hasn't watched the "Love is in Bloom" sequence from Canterlot Wedding really closely before, I urge you to do so. Dash, Fluttershy, Rarity and Applejack all get unique and hilarious dance moves.

The funniest part of that is that I'm certain it'd sell.

And it would sell a crapload too.

McNum

Also a perfume liquid that's naturally forming a rainbow? That's pretty cool in itself. Would you drain off the blue first or would it just shirk, but stay rainbow?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

You apparently still missed Luna rocking out.

Princess_Luna_and_Princess_Celestia_at_Royal_Wedding_S2E26.png

PaulloDEC

You apparently still missed Luna rocking out.

Princess_Luna_and_Princess_Celestia_at_Royal_Wedding_S2E26.png

She's got moves for sure, but compared to the others? She ain't even trying! Dash seems to be pulling some air-guitar at one point, and Applejack has that wavy-hooves thing down pat.

Perhaps most importantly, this GIF finally makes sense:

Rsn.gif

LuffyZoro

284737__UNOPT__safe_sweetie-belle_sweetie-bot_friendship-is-witchcraft_card_510c79d6a4c72dc7c5000ce3_515291d2a4c72d25b0000211.png

"Competing in contests and going on campouts together, Sweetie Bell is happy to be closer to her sister Rarity than ever before. On the other hoof, her cutie mark acquisition program hasn’t really made any real progress. Her hopes for an adorable bunnysiting cutie mark didn’t work out at all! Poor Sweetie Bell is an amazing singer, but she’s just too shy to show off her talent in front of a crowd, even though they’ll surely love her voice. Oh, why does life have to be so ironic?!"

akira28

Also a perfume liquid that's naturally forming a rainbow? That's pretty cool in itself. Would you drain off the blue first or would it just shirk, but stay rainbow?

I want those Luna and Dash perfumes.

I think you could have that effect if you put in small particles that could change the base liquid to different densities. But yeah one layer would probably go at a time. Unless you shook it up, then it'd get all mixed, and then settle back into a rainbow. Or..i guess just a fancy bottle.

hmm or different essential oils to different concentrations, with a perfume stick instead of an atomizer...different scents with different colors...wow that could be done.....by professionals with resources for actual money.

Silvawuff

I like WLF stuff, but it would be nice if they gave more focus to lady pony fans as well!

Those colognes are hilarious. I bet they'll develop it! Think Geek has also turned gag April fools' products into marketable stuff in the past, such as canned unicorn meat and a speaker tee.

So, I just saw Double Rainboom.

This is the feeling I got from it, and it was really good. I guess I kept hearing all those comments how it was just a bad fanfic and had obnoxious memes in it (I really didn't see that at all) which ended up lowering my expectations and leaving me pleasantly surprised.

I would say the characterization is a little off:
Rainbow Dash being so brazen and stealing the potion right behind Twilight's back, the PPG being total jerks, and of course that deus ex machina solution was kind of "meh".
But again, I certainly saw what they were trying to do. Just a fun little "episode" while paying tribute to Faust's previous animated work. I mean I saw a YT comment going how he was disappointed because he expected RD to travel back in time and witness the founding of Equestria. That WOULD be cool to see in an ACTUAL episode, but that's not what the animation was going for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom