• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community |OT2| I just don't know what went wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheerilee

But again, I certainly saw what they were trying to do. Just a fun little "episode" while paying tribute to Faust's previous animated work. I mean I saw a YT comment going how he was disappointed because he expected RD to travel back in time and witness the founding of Equestria. That WOULD be cool to see in an ACTUAL episode, but that's not what the animation was going for.

I dunno. I was oblivious to the hype beforehand, and I concluded that it was a neat little thing that went a bit out-of-control in a few places (I think my criticism was constructive), and they just didn't have the heart to cut it, but looking into it a bit, I don't think that was the case.

Apparently Zachary Rich, the writer/director/producer, is graduating from film school, and he was required to make (as his final test) an "animated movie" (not a five minute clip, or even a 22 minute episode), as proof that he is now a professional. And apparently he really hyped this up as a professional work. The first "real" fan-made episode, with the blessings of Hasbro even.

But (and I'm sorry to be so harsh) I would be tempted to fail him on writing and producing. I would have expected a legit school to teach him better than this. I'm not immediately sure about the directing, because I wasn't really paying attention to that. The directing seemed competent, at minimum.

I initially didn't mind or care that it was an MLP/PPG crossover (I thought it was kind of cute, even though the characterizations were unsettling), but in hindsight, this kind of story really doesn't work with the name "Double Rainboom", which implies... a story about a double rainboom, not an MLP/PPG crossover fic that involves one as a maguffin for dimensional travel. Also, I'm generally not fond of the idea that you can take a high point from one episode and somehow make it better by doubling it. A "double rainboom" isn't better than the original, it just cheapens the original. It also doesn't seem to have been a good idea to hype this project to the brony community before surprising them with a crossover.

Mandopony, who did the music, is apparently also a professional musician who considers himself a professional musician first and a brony second (he's even been climbing the legit pony ladder, working for DHX twice), and I thought his music was very superficial and lacked emotion, and I found it hard to believe this was work from a professional. Although some of the blame here might lie with the director/producer.

Gotchaye

FWIW, I'd never heard of this before y'all started talking about it a few days ago, and I agree with Cheerilee in pretty much every particular. The animated ponies overact all over the place and it needed some editing to tighten up the conversations (and a bunch of superfluous animation should have been cut).

Something that bothered me about the direction was the tendency to always be cutting from one character to another. It's animation; you don't have to break up scenes for no reason to make it easier to get good takes.

Also, the simplified cartoon ponies - are those from something other than Friendship is Witchcraft? I think that's the only place I've seen them. Are they in a real episode somewhere? Incidentally, the most recent episode of that is a great example of dialogue done right.

LuffyZoro

1.JPG

Oh, and Luna has a new design to appeal more to the core demographic.

20120716105257!Castle_Creator_Princess_Luna_pink_makeover.png

EDIT: Oh, and this press release just came out today.

In an unscheduled meeting last night, the German Pirate Party's executive board resolved to change the party's name to Pony Party. At the same time, they also agreed upon several important changes to the party's official corporate design.

From today on, the Pony Party, formerly known as Pirate Party of Germany, presents itself in a new look. The reason for the change of name and the new design that comes with it is the desperate need for a reorientation with regards to the party's political goals. A complete reboot was neccessary, especially taking into account several laws the federal parliament recently passed.

The Pony Party's chief executive, Bernd Schlömer, comments:

"With the new Leistungsschutzrecht, which grants publishers a kind of monopoly on internet articles, and with new laws granting police excessive access to citizens' personal data, Germany has once and for all turned itself into a banana republic when it comes to internet law.

Of course, that's an insult to countries that actually live on the production of bananas. Obviously, politicians in the German parliament lack any sense of reality. Even though a politicians' behaviour should be an example for all to follow, in reality, their lack of diligence and responsibility is clear for all to see when you take a look at how many of them actually bother to show up for the important parliamentary votes.

For politicians of established parties, who rely on one or two party executives to make their decisions for them and then forgo any sort of critical thinking under the guise of faction discipline, Germany as a whole and politics in particular seem to be a vacation at the pony ranch."

With that in mind, it seems only right for the Pirate Party to follow suit and adapt to the circumstances.
From today on, the German Pirate Party shall thus be known as the Pony Party of Germany.

So, I've heard the Japanese VA for Apple Bloom is going to be Ikue Otani, aka the VA of Pikachu. Makes me wonder who they'll get for Sweetie Belle.

So, I've heard the Japanese VA for Apple Bloom is going to be Ikue Otani, aka the VA of Pikachu. Makes me wonder who they'll get for Sweetie Belle.

Amazing (just checked, it is indeed). I wonder if she actually speaks in the Kansai dialect. Also, it'll be something to hear sing in Season 2 as well as her focus episodes like Bridle Gossip, Family Appreciation Day, and Cutie Pox.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Amazing (just checked, it is indeed). I wonder if she actually speaks in the Kansai dialect. Also, it'll be something to hear sing in Season 2 as well as her focus episodes like Bridle Gossip, Family Appreciation Day, and Cutie Pox.
I wouldnt assume that she's doing sweetie belle's singing. We don't even know if NMMs va will also be soing Lunas.

Tizoc

I am tempted to check out the Japanese dub of MLP...in fact I may entice a friend of mine to watch it too since he's more into anime.

LuffyZoro

News from Meghan.

401/402: is called “Wingin’ It”.

403: is called “Now You Sea Them…"

404: is called “Meet Princess Skyla”.

405: is called "The Student Becomes the Teacher: The Return of Sunset Shimmer"

406: is called "Luna-tic"

407: Pinkie Pie becomes the Princess of Pie in the season mini-arc of 407 "Pinkie Apple Pie", 414 "Pie in the Sky", and 419 "Maude Pie"

408: “Don’t You Dare” Rainbow Dash threatens to leave the Daring Do fandom when they turn her hero into an Earth Pony.

409: Our musical episode entitled "It Ain't Easy Being Cheesy" with Justin Bieber

410 "Oops" Rarity is the star of a play but is replaced by AJ.Twi forgets and tells everypony RY is the star. Ponies are pissed.

411: "Bats" It's just like the musical "Cats", but with, you know, bats. And ponies. But mostly bats.

412: "The Return of the Return of Harmony" Discord is back! And his new personality is kind of meh. Stupid writers

413: "Wrap It Up" Every loose end is tied up. Hilarity ensues when the ponies realize there are 13 more episodes to go.

414: (See 407)

415: "Who Are You?" David Tennant guest stars as a random, nameless background pony no one has ever noticed before.

417: "Just Forget It" The CMCs try literally everything they can think of to get their Cutie Marks. They don't. The end.

418: "Death Comes to Ponyville" Didn't bother to read it. Was super busy that week. I'm sure it will be fine.

419: (See 407)

420: “For Whom The Sweetie Bell Tolls” cuz literary and makes us sound smart and stuff and,dude, is anybody else hungry?

421: "It Ain't Easy Bein' Weezy" a hilarious parody of The Jeffersons. Look, they can't all be gold, people

422: “Best Pony” New pony comes to town and she’s cool and likes craft beer and Legos and has a typewriter Cutie Mark

423: “Spike and Rarity Sittin’ in a Tree” Nothing happens. That would just make things weird between them. Plus, his ex is totally psycho.

424: “Let the Games Begin” Shining Armor and Cadance join the professional wife-throwing circuit. Destroy the competition.

425/426: “Princess Discord” 2-parter in which Discord becomes a draconequalicorn and replaces Celestia. As she always intended.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom