• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community |OT2| I just don't know what went wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psxphile

To be honest, the only immediate problem I have with it is the skin tones.
I had my fill of freakish colored teenagers from the Doug cartoons.
I think it's a visual distraction that will rub a lot of people the wrong way no matter how well (if at all) the writing is able to salvage the concept.

What skin color would you *like* them to have?

UberTag

What skin color would you *like* them to have?
It's not about what I would like. It's about what would be marketable.
If Equestria Girls is to have a chance at enjoying life outside of the MLP tropes, it needs to draw an audience to it.
So roll out a range of ethnicities ala Bratz, Barbie, etc. so kids will have another way to identify with the characters.

Orange and blue and purple aren't ethnicities. Caucasian, Asian, African-American, Hispanic... those are ethnicities.
If anything, it seems like a way of making characters easily identifiable which could just as easily be done with clothing, cutie mark adornments, hairstyles, voices, names, etc.

Colored skin tones may serve a purpose of having the characters be race-agnostic (that's why Doug went that way as well) but it also limits your broader market appeal. It seems very insular. That plus the fact that they kept the giant pony eyes (the shape is almost identical) and stuck them on these pony-toned human heads makes them look either like aliens or like they're suffering from some kind of medical condition. Here's hoping that Hasbro's market research is telling them something we're completely missing the ball on when it comes to that young girl demographic they covet.

Cheerilee

Didn't Lauren quit MLP because she was having a kid? Or did she ever actually clarify why she left?

http://fyre-flye.deviantart.com/journal/THANK-YOU-218911691

Lauren Faust said:
I am no longer working on the show. Various circumstances with the production made it increasingly impossible for me to keep up the level of personal creative involvement and control that I had at the start of the series. I don’t think I can accurately express how difficult and painful the decision was and still is.

Also
http://i.imgur.com/fLrQYGq.png

She's "so upset" that people think she left because of her pregnancy, and repeats that (going into season 2) she no longer had "the level of creative involvement and control" that she had in season 1.

Since she's a professional, she can't elaborate on what exactly that means (can't say anything negative about a boss or a co-worker), but it was rumored that Hasbro even dropped the EI restriction in an attempt to keep her.

(EI means that the show is educational, and The Hub is required to air a particular minimum percentage of programs that meet that restriction. The letters to Celestia were part of the EI restriction, because educational programs need to have clearly defined lessons that were learned in that episode. Lifting that rule from MLP:FIM meant that some other show needed to carry that burden, or more likely, some other show had to get kicked off the network so a less-desirable-but-qualifying show could take it's place.)

Edit: Also, Faust left during the writing phase of Season 2. And Faust was 100% opposed to Cadence's status as a Princess/Alicorn. According to Faust, Cadence was a Unicorn. Fake wings, fake princess, made to sell toys. Faust apparently couldn't stop that. So if you want a focal point for her lack of creative control, that's as good as any other.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
It's not about what I would like. It's about what would be marketable.
If Equestria Girls is to have a chance at enjoying life outside of the MLP tropes, it needs to draw an audience to it.
So roll out a range of ethnicities ala Bratz, Barbie, etc. so kids will have another way to identify with the characters.

Orange and blue and purple aren't ethnicities. Caucasian, Asian, African-American, Hispanic... those are ethnicities.
If anything, it seems like a way of making characters easily identifiable which could just as easily be done with clothing, cutie mark adornments, hairstyles, voices, names, etc.

Colored skin tones may serve a purpose of having the characters be race-agnostic (that's why Doug went that way as well) but it also limits your broader market appeal. It seems very insular. That plus the fact that they kept the giant pony eyes (the shape is almost identical) and stuck them on these pony-toned human heads makes them look either like aliens or like they're suffering from some kind of medical condition. Here's hoping that Hasbro's market research is telling them something we're completely missing the ball on when it comes to that young girl demographic they covet.
Have you seen PBS lately?

brian577

Banned
Don't know how accurate this information is but this is from an editor of the Brony documentry
http://www.reddit.com/r/mylittlepon...as_ha_editor_of_the_brony_documentary/c9iyltl

She was separated from her team, making collaboration a disastrously difficult affair. Everyone was in Canada. She was in LA. The only reason she stuck around for as long as she did was because of how much the project meant to her, but it was crippling to have that distance.

Secondly, she was losing creative control. As MLP became more and more successful, Hasbro got greedier and greedier, and started making bigger demands and relinquishing her of the freedom she used to exercise while first starting out. They were beginning to try and twist her childhood dreams and fantasties, things she owned since she was a child, into a beast that wasn't hers. And she couldn't handle that.

(Ironically enough, as soon as she left, they suddenly had a change of heart and started giving the current team more freedom. It was strange.)

Finally, right around the time she was entertaining the thought of leaving, she had overworked herself to physical illness. The extra amount of work she had just to get things through to Hasbro, plus the demands of working remotely from the rest of her team, meant she had to expend a lot of additional effort, and that was taking a huge toll on her physical and physiological well-being.

All of these things combined just added up into what I can only imagine to be a huge table-flipping moment. Though Lauren is a sweetheart and nothing if not utterly well-mannered, I would be surprised if she didn't entertain the notion of upending various bits of furniture prior to making this decision.

Is this the full story? I doubt it. I'm sure there's so many hundreds of things that compounded this decision. But to me, this is already too much. I'm surprised, and very impressed, that she managed for as long as she did.

brian577

Banned
I haven't been keeping up much since the end of Season 3. Is Equestria Girls a series as well as a movie?

Just a movie as far as we know. Considering DHX is knee deep into season 4 right now a series probably won't even be a possibility until early next year.

Cheerilee

I haven't been keeping up much since the end of Season 3. Is Equestria Girls a series as well as a movie?

Apparently if the movie is received well, there will be a series that runs in addition to MLP:FIM (not a replacement).

It's possible that they're already writing scripts for the series, in anticipation of good news. The MLP writers hinted that they're currently writing something for MLP, even though the writing for season 4 is already complete.

Hasbro should be aware that whimsy is a huge part of the appeal of FiM. This has none of it. Instead, here we are, back to the beaten-to-death american high school setting that no-one over 17 gives a shit about.

Oh look! The new girl is being bullied, but even so, she'll rise up to the challenge and become queen of the prom, despite all the efforts from the local bad girl.
How original!

I know some Equestria "girls", sirs, and these are not them.

(I'll be watching this, anyway... and probably end up liking it on the strength of the characters alone, unless they completely butcher them.)

Yeah, this is exactly how I feel. I do admit, it looks better in motion than I thought it would, but yeah the whole setting and concept leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Especially hearing a little of that theme song which sounds so overwhelmingly "GRRL POWER!" I want to believe in Ingram and his talent... but I'm just not hearing it.

I love fish out of water stuff and it looks like the scenes involving Twilight "adjusting" will be funny and worth watching. My sister, being the female man-child she is, will jump around with endless squee-ing just from seeing that trailer and will most likely demand we go see it in theaters (I admit, it would be kind of fun to see and meet the crowd that comes to see it)

$200

Banned
Okay it actually doesn't look that bad, might be on LPS level if done right.

But that's still no excuse for wasting budget and resource for what would have been the missing half of season 3 on this.

Village

Integrity doesn't pay the bills. I'm sure Faust is a great person, but you better believe she would still be working on the show if she didn't have a way to keep a roof over her head.

The concept of being a "sellout" is ridiculous anyways. Why does anyone get into the entertainment business? To make money. If they don't make enough money in the business, then they're going to stop sooner rather than later.

Actually a person not wanting to work with crap, or having your name not assciated with something, alot of times does more good than harm when looking for work. From an illustration perspective, I turn own a job because I do not like the job, that is on less bad picture to be conected to my name when someone wants to use me for a job.

And alot of people get into the entertainment business not make art rather than money, money is just side stuff.

These Poeple exist for that sole reason, they broke off with capcom just so they could make the games they like.

platinumgames.jpg

Not everyone is some soulless business person, a lot of people get into the entertainment bushiness to do what they like for a living. They money part is just a nice side thing.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
They money part is just a nice side thing.
Money beyond a certain point is a "nice side thing". Money to pay bills and put food on the table always comes first, but usually there's some flexibility in how you get it.

Passion doesn't buy anything.

Village

Money beyond a certain point is a "nice side thing". Money to pay bills and put food on the table always comes first, but usually there's some flexibility in how you get it.

Passion doesn't buy anything.

Passion gets you work, work get you money.

Like I said before, money is nice but alot of these people really like what they do , and that is kind of it. Passion, integrity, and making money are not exclusive of one another.

I am not saying being an artist automatically makes you money, however if you have talent you can have a stable income while doing what you like. The entertainment industry needs artists more than ever, for a lot of people there really isn't a shortage of work. Well this is me from an illustrative perspective and what my animation friends tell me. The VO industry seems just fine, But it could be fuck all horrible for all I know.

Orcastar

So Sunset Shimmer starts out as the class bitch but in the end Twilight and her friends teach her a valuable lesson about friendship so she agrees to cross over to Equestria to learn more about it. Or the big twist is that she's originally a pony.

Also, the blue-haired guy is obviously Shining Armor, no? I imagine it's going to be a bit awkward when he develops a crush on Twilight.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
So Sunset Shimmer starts out as the class bitch but in the end Twilight and her friends teach her a valuable lesson about friendship so she agrees to cross over to Equestria to learn more about it. Or the big twist is that she's originally a pony.

Also, the blue-haired guy is obviously Shining Armor, no? I imagine it's going to be a bit awkward when he develops a crush on Twilight.
All the residents of Equestria would be human if not for magic cast on the world!

equestria girls synopsis

"Join PRINCESS TWILIGHT SPARKLE on her biggest and most magical adventure yet! When her crown is stolen, TWILIGHT tracks the thief to the CRYSTAL EMPIRE. With the help of her friends and the other princesses, TWILIGHT finds that the crown thief has led her to an ancient artifact, the CRYSTAL MIRROR, which opens a portal to another world. TWILIGHT, along with her trustty assistant SPIKE take it upon themselves to enter this other world and retrieve her crown. But everything is not as it seems. TWILIGHT has transformed into a different creature in this new world and SPIKE has turned into a dog! Join TWILIGHT SPARKLE and her oddly familiar new high-school friends; PAULINA PETTIFER, AMELIA JEMS, ROXY DODGERS, FAITH SUMMERS and ROWELLINA BEATTIE as they help TWILIGHT become the prom queen and overcome the mean school bully and rival of TWILIGHT SPARKLE, SUSAN SHELBY, who seems to be hiding some big secrets.
The adventure of the EQUESTRIA GIRLS has only just begun!"

those names...

i'm dying, squirtle

"...PAULINA PETTIFER, AMELIA JEMS, ROXY DODGERS, FAITH SUMMERS and ROWELLINA BEATTIE as they help TWILIGHT become the prom queen and overcome the mean school bully and rival of TWILIGHT SPARKLE, SUSAN SHELBY"

I feel a darkness rising up within me.

$200

Banned
By the way I'm just glad the cutie mark tattoo, furry ears and makeups that we saw on the promo will not be in the actual show. Just more proofs that the entire Hasbro's advertisement team for ponies (the ones who made all the crappy vectors) should be fired immediately.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
By the way I'm just glad the cutie mark tattoo, furry ears and makeups that we saw on the promo will not be in the actual show. Just more proofs that the entire Hasbro's advertisement team for ponies (the ones who made all the crappy vectors) should be fired immediately.

7496f6558c.jpg

and...

proper_drama_requires_lens_flare_by_pixelkitties-d655vek.png

Tritroid

Soooo anyone notice that Sunset Shimmer (...or Shelby, I guess?) ends up with Twili's crown/element and gets ejected into a beam of light? Maybe it ports her back to Equestria?

What if this movie sets up Sunset Shimmer as a potential villain/rival for Twili in season 4? That could be pretty interesting...and she might end up being a better rival than sub-par Trixie anyway. :p

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
The toy could just be a toy. There's a lot of toy's that aren't in the show. I expect a giant reset button to be hit at the end.

The trailer reveals that seeing this in theaters might be the only chance I ever get to see Celestia on the big screen...

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
It is sad that Hasbro wanted a tween series to go against Monster High, and decided to take the Pony out of "My Little Pony" and after the huge success of FiM didn't pick up Faust's Galaxy Girls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom