• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community |OT2| I just don't know what went wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.
tumblr_mofuai0i1r1rrnt9go1_1280.jpg

So, anyone brave enough to see the movie yet?
As a matter of fact YES! That said, let me preface,as I have younger sisters, I have seen other teen high school movies (like Bratz Movie, I think My Scene Barbie or whatever it was called, and I hated the formula before...)

Overall... I don't hate it.. in fact I ... enjoyed it. What? MEEE!?! The Burro who hates everything likes something? Indeed, though I must remind you, it is NOt without some reservation (Pink demons being present, you know!)

For those not wanting spoilers.. I shall do you the favor and tag my thoughts...
The beginning takes place in the Crystal Empire... Twilight is still not used to her wings for some reason, as well as being very out of lace in the Princess meetings.. Yes, sadly, there are a couple scenes where her wings "pompf" up... which the group I was with laughed at.. ;p

So Sunset Shimmer hates that she wasnt trained fast enough, yeah yeah yeah, whatever.. she steal the plot device... or crown, and takes it to the "Hoo-man" world (where not once human is said) and Twilight is told to go alone, but Spike goes too. After a few corny human getting used to scenes Twilight finds her "friends" are not friends with each other, and many background ponies are segregated by groups (jocks, techies, etc)

Ok, typical High School shit right? Of course! But, as a few Pony like song, and charm, and soon, the root cause of the problem is discovered THE VILLAN! Of course, we probably knew this, but it is not dragged along, and paced well, I think (bless them for proper pacing...)

The solution and love interest are somewhat hinted, but never outright said, which I prefered to be honest. Yes Twi does have a crush, but honestly, she acted how I figured everyone would think she would... like an awkward ditz!!!

Short break... but here is a list of Cameos I spotted.

Most of the kids from the school, including the CMCs and the Diamond Tiara group. Twist and other background fillies and colts, various others, and lots of Photo Finish and DJ-P0N3 NOT to spoil things, but pay attention during the group song in the bottom right corner.. there is a certain character that I did not expect t be there show up... as well as after the credits but you can probably guess that ;p

Trixie is seen as well, for those who like her... twice. I did NOT like Celestia and Luna's roles.. only because... they looked... AHHHH! In my opinion of course...

Ok, here is a bit about the last part, AND IMPACT this might have for regular ponies season, and its show...

So Twilight wins, but still is confronted by Sunset, after a silly keep-away match, she turns into what I only describe as a Demon from the "Ghouls and Ghost' series I forget what they are called. She takes over and matches to Equestria, BUT!!!The power of friendship... well, yeah... THAT happened...

What is the result? Twilight gets the crown, and heads back, BUT asks the others to teach Sunset how to be friendly. This is where, I believe, where she plays a part in the show.

Twilight is also more confident. She bumps into the pony form of the guy she met, and Pinkie guesses (through her demon powers) that he reminds her of someone she had a crush on. The girls tease a lil and Rarity finds it adorable (and for those curious.. he is a Pegasus guard... just fyi ;p)

This part I believe WILL be hinted, but may or may not be carried over. IF it happens, just know it was not out of nowhere, but from this movie! ;p hehe!

Alright, all I have to say about it. Like I said. myself, my brother my sister, and the four guys who went loved it on different levels. It was nice. What I complained about is my local group, along with the Inland Empire Bronies, felt we shouldn't have seen it, but to be honest, besides us, there was one family there and an older couple, besides us watching at 10am.. no one else to disturb. I admit, my sister, kept dropping f-bombs though...

The main thing. Give it a watch, and decide. It IS corny, although NOWHERE near the MyScene or ESPECIALLY the Bratz movie, but if you like the show, you'll like the movie for what it is...

Oh and last thought.... the theater was really nice about the group as well. I am rather sad our leader thought so little of us, but his loss (he thought we would be loud and rude.. which with TWO exceptions, my sister on a scene, and a credit screen thing.. we were not)

Anyway if you want to know more? reply here! or I'll be on IRC soon!

PaulloDEC

As a matter of fact YES! That said, let me preface,as I have younger sisters, I have seen other teen high school movies (like Bratz Movie, I think My Scene Barbie or whatever it was called, and I hated the formula before...)

*Snipped*

Thanks for the reactions! Although a little part of me would've liked to see the film be a disaster, I think I'm glad overall that it came out alright.

You mentioned a song in your post - how was the film overall in terms of music? Were there many trademark Dan Ingram musical numbers?

Tenumi

Banned
So wait, the film that half the people in this thread decried as a piece of trash is actually not that bad? Color me shocked.

Not really. Glad to hear that it's alright. Some of us want to see this and the rest of the MLP brand succeed.

Sorry, but the second one is not Bak's OC. I'm not going to tell whose OC is which in this thread, though. ;)

I can help out

First Picture
Scootaloo

Second Picture
Scootaloo

Third Picture
Scootaloo

Fourth Picture
Scootaloo

Fifth Picture
Scootaloo

Sixth Picture
Scootaloo

PaulloDEC

Threw caution to the wind and ordered a copy of the Elements of Harmony official guidebook thing. The cost of a Subway footlong, a Coke and a cookie ($16) on Book Depository with free delivery is pretty hard to argue with.

Link Man

Banned
The Australian kind?

I might have rounded up a little; $9-ish for a footlong, roughly $2-$2.50 a piece for cookies and Coke. Let me guess, Australia is getting screwed over in sandwiches as well as next-gen consoles?
Yeah, our footlongs start at $5 and go up to $9.

PaulloDEC

Yeah, our footlongs start at $5 and go up to $9.

I probably shouldn't quibble about sandwiches when I remember that I'll be ponying up (see what I did there?) $550 bucks for a PS4 in a few months time. Australia is a lovely place, but they've really gotta do something about that game-centric price discrepancy.

But, I digress. Ponies, am I right guys?

$200

Banned
The Australian kind?

I might have rounded up a little; $9-ish for a footlong, roughly $2-$2.50 a piece for cookies and Coke. Let me guess, Australia is getting screwed over in sandwiches as well as next-gen consoles?

You can get one of the six basic footlong subs (tuna, seafood, bmt, vegie, meatball or pizza) for $7~$7.5 at most places.

By the way, if you don't mind waiting, it's much cheaper to just order games from US or UK (for region locked consoles).

Thanks for the reactions! Although a little part of me would've liked to see the film be a disaster, I think I'm glad overall that it came out alright.

You mentioned a song in your post - how was the film overall in terms of music? Were there many trademark Dan Ingram musical numbers?

My count, about 5 songs. All Ingram, of course.

Since I am new new to both this fandom and the Gaf pony community, I would like to get to know you guys a little better by learning about your story. How did you become a fan of this series? What was your first exposure to FiM? Were you sold instantly on it or did it take time for it to grow on you? Are you open about your love of this show or do you keep it a guarded secret?

I can start by sharing mine. My first exposure to MLP happened right here on Gaf. I am a huge Star Craft 2 fan, and in early 2011 Gaf would regularly host tournaments. While I never actually participated in them, I did follow the tournament thread by reading all of the results and downloading and watching replays. One particular player, Panda Man, would always report on his games by posting images/gifs of candy-colored equines to express his feelings on how the match went. These included Fluttershy doing her scream from Green Isn't Your Color, or Pinkie Pie going insane or the ponies cheering when he won a match. I had no clue what the hell was going on. I didn't immediately associate them with My Little Pony and couldn't figure what the hell I was looking at. Then, more tournament players started posting similar images. I was left confused, thinking maybe it was some weird internet cartoon.

Now, as much as I love Star Craft, my heart truly belongs to board games. I used to run a regular board game group every Saturday at a local store called Gamer's Inn. The place was huge, expanding into several buildings inside the complex. This allowed many...odd fandoms to seek refuge there, since it was dark and spacious so they could find some dank corner to hide in. Well, shortly after seeing Panda Man's pony threads those adorable characters started slowly making their appearance in Gamer's Inn. They began by appearing on the white board, then on the notice boards and finally pretty much any available surface. Then I began noticing guys in the their teens and older wearing pony related t-shirts, backpacks, belts, and hats. Finally, I had to ask my group if they knew what this was all about, and that is when I first learned of the My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic phenomenon. It turned out that guys from my board game group watched it also, and went on to describe the characters, the music and the animation with great enthusiasm. I thought the whole thing sounded ridiculous. Grown men watching My Little Pony? A show that is about tea parties and playing princess? They assured me it wasn't like that, but I grew up in the 80's and remembered that show as being the most vapid and pandering thing ever. Well, my friends are weird, so I just brushed it off and figured it was some internet trend that would end in a few months.

Well, those months went by and the ponies were in full-on invasion mode at the game store. Ponies were everywhere. It was impossible to look in any direction without being bombarded with pony imagery. It got so prolific, that the owner of the store enacted the "Pony Final Solution" and banned all pony-related material. If you came in wearing a shirt, you were asked to leave. If you were caught drawing ponies on the white board, you were temporarily banned. Slowly life became normal again at the store, but, if I was being honest with myself, I started thinking those ponies were really adorable and well designed. My friends had stopped watching the show, so I figured that the ponies were behind me now and the trend was coming to an end. I was wrong.

While ponies had been forced out of the game store, they continued to be very prevalent here on Gaf. I started, for whatever reason, reading pony related threads. I remember seeing Myke Greywolf design the Gaf pony and followed the origins of the community thread. I am a huge animation nerd, it really is my favorite form of media. I will watch a good animated film or show over just about anything. So, I finally decided to see what made people like this show so damn much. It was popular for a reason, and I did discover Avatar: The Last Airbender by being curious as to why people like it so much and that went on to be one of favorite shows of all time. I figured maybe ponies could be the same. The first episode I watched was Art of the Dress. Probably not the best episode to start with since it pretty much confirmed my suspicions that this show was ultra-girly. When Rarity started singing I cringed and skipped the song entirely. I decided I would watch one more episode since I really did think the animation and art direction were really good and I don't like making a judgement on something until I am at least a little bit more informed. The next episode I watched was Boast Busters. I enjoyed this episode a lot more. I really liked Trixie, and actually felt the other ponies were a little harsh on her for just hyping up her act. Don't all magicians oversell themselves? Isn't some of that kind of point? Well, I thought the Ursa Minor was really cool and thought Twilight Sparkle was a pretty great character but I wasn't officially sold on the show. I got what other people saw in it, but decided it wasn't for me.

Flash forward to January of this year, I found myself facing a personal crisis. I won't go into any details, mainly because I am some random guy from the internet so who cares, but needless to say I found myself feeling very worried and depressed. Which doesn't happen a lot, and often pass over quickly. Not this time, and I found myself really slipping into despair. One night, when I was feeling really bad, I found myself in front of my TV browsing through Netflix when I came across My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. Those damn characters looked so cute and happy on the cover I decided to give it another go. I figured maybe the show could help me feel a little better. I picked Watch Where You Sleep based on the description and then...something just clicked while I watched it. It's not a particular memorable episode, but for some mysterious reason, it just really connected with me. So I went upstairs to check out a more recent episode, to see how the show has changed since season 1 in terms of animation and design and found Magic Duel. I loved it.
So I watched a few more season 3 episodes and was sold. I went back and watched all of season 1 and 2 and just couldn't get over how smart the writing was, how it broke girls t.v. tropes and how wonderful the musical numbers were. After watching The Best Night Ever, I knew I was hooked. I couldn't get over how well produced that song was, it went way beyond normal kids fare and, in my opinion, rivaled the best of Disney. My depression went away, and I was able to overcome the crisis I was facing.

I have been fan (albeit a closet one) ever since. This is the only time I can remember where I actually follow fan related projects. The Brony community is wonderfully talented, providing great remixes, original songs and beautiful art work. I think the thing I am most thankful for about MLP is that it has rekindled my desire to draw again. It has been too long since I have done it consistently, but I am only truly happy when I am creating something, and ponies have helped me rediscover that.

TLDR: Ponies are great. What is your story?

My story involves ripping jhudson's guts out. OvO

Edit- Man, you joined in 2008 and you have 16 posts. You should post more? We're a kind, friendly bunch here that are totally friendly to everyone in this thread.

jhudson i am going to murder you so hard i hate you

edit2- ok i read your story, wookie, and it's very nice. Glad ponies could help you through a rough patch. My story isn't so grand. I was on some PA forum thread in SE++, where going off-topic in threads is ok. So one guy would keep posting his weekly report on MLP:FiM.

"Hey guys, there's a MLP FiM reboot announced, lol, but it's by Lauren Faust"
"The MLP show started. People like it?"
"Hey people still like this show, here's a gif fromt his episode" <-repeat this line weekly
"Hey there's a song and it's pretty good."

When he posted this gif from the most recent episode,

ppo9kem.gif

I finally dicided to watch the show... but I still never watched it. I decided I will, just not at this moment. Was too busy doing other stuff I guess. Then he posted this a few weeks later.

Winter Wrap-Up

FINE~. I'll start watching. Was a slow but interesting start. Animation was good. I watched it on a second screen, while playing video games on my computer. So I wasn't loving it, but still watching every episode. By the time I caught up to every episode (11, winter wrap up), the show grew on me and I really enjoyed it. I later did a rewatch of all the episodes without any distractions, and loved the show, as I saw all the little details and nuances I missed ont he first viewing. That's about it for how I started watching the show. There's more story to how things were after I started watching but uh, I'm lazy now.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
My story involves ripping jhudson's guts out. OvO

Edit- Man, you joined in 2008 and you have 16 posts. You should post more? We're a kind, friendly bunch here that are totally friendly to everyone in this thread.

jhudson i am going to murder you so hard i hate you
Relax. Here, somepony wants a word with you.

Great story, Wookie! Mine is quite simple. I love cute things. I hate dumb things. Ponies are cute as can be, and not dumb. Ergo, I love ponies.

I was already a kind-of-closet fan of the G1 ponies since the 80's (they were girly, but not as vapid as people think - that's something that G2+ introduced). In January 2011 I started seeing some intensely cute pastel equines floating around the web in meme pics. I did some research, and was intrigued to find that they were featured in a new MLP show. I immediately hunted for the first episode, and was instantly hooked. Ponies have been my main fandom since then.

As with you, I too was compelled to start drawing because of this show, and two years later, I have succeeded in achieving a modest, but respectable degree of proficiency in cartoon equine depiction, which I intend to extend to other subjects. My wife is also a pony fan (thanks to me), and she creates some mean plushies. :)

If you really want to get to know us better, you should join us on the IRC channel! There's (almost) always someone around to chat with!

McNum

I have a similar story to most here. I too saw these odd patel ponies spread around the web, wondering what they were. I found out it was a new my Little Pony show that people were insisting was good. *pfft* As if! My Little Pony? Good?! Yeah, right!

But I don't like to be that guy who complains about shows or games I didn't play/watch and i've been pleasantly surprised before. So, I gave the ponies a chance. And episode one ended on a cliffhanger. Well, darn, gotta see how this ends, then. Episode 2 down. Kind of cute, it's worth checking out, I guess. Some episodes later and we get Dragonshy. 1. That was a PROPER size dragon. Scary, too. 2. Did I just actually worry about the well being of these ponies? 3. Don't get Fluttershy angry. Some episodes later still... "Winter Wrap Up! Winter Wrap Up! Let's finish our holiday cheer!" Okay, FINE, you win, ponies. This is pretty good.

And I've started drawing, too. If you had told me three years ago that I'd not only be drawing My Little Pony fanart, but actually become decent at it, I would have called you crazy. And yet... Still have a lot to learn, but My little Pony sparked my interest in drawing. I'm planning to branch out, but thanks to PonyGAF, I've found that I have an untapped talent for drawing. Going to have to see how deep that goes.

Also sort of learned how to IRC to chat with the PonyGAFfers there.

kunonabi

i kept seeing these super well-animated pony gifs on gaf around e3 one year and i thought they pretty amazing for being flash animations. Eventually i realized they were from an actual show and decided to give it a shot despite hating the old mlp shows. i fell in love with the show around the midway point and been a fan since. i don't hide my watching it but i try not make it too obvious around my parents. they put up with enough of my crap as it is.

PaulloDEC

My story

See pony avatars on one forum. Barely notice.

See pony avatars on another forum. Huh.

Realise I've been seeing pony avatars on every forum I read. Curiosity is raised.

Curiosity eventually reaches critical mass. Watch the opening two-parter. Kinda like it, but not enough to keep watching. Pride also plays a part.

Weeks pass and it's a boring Sunday. Remember ponies. Watch a few more episodes.

Days and episodes pass. Winter Wrap Up is reached. Acceptance of fandom occurs.

That was pretty much it, really. I ended up watching an episode every night until I'd burned through all of season one and two (with two having just finished I think, somewhere around June/July 2012). My buddies are all aware I'm a fan, though I suspect most of them either don't understand or don't care, which is A-OK with me. I've got a Brony shirt which I wear pretty regularly around family and friends, and no eyebrows have really been raised.

Parfait

"Why does that pony look like stocking?"

"Haha people watch a show for little girls?"

"Wait they're still watching a show for little girls?"

"What's this video youtube somehow recommended me?"

"That's actually kinda cool"

"Ok i guess I'll give it a watch there's no good anime anyway"

"Holy shit Trixie is amazing."

I was done after Trixie.

Cheerilee

Been a fan of cartoons since forever. I grew up in the 80's, and assimilated every cartoon I could get my grubby little hands on, even girls cartoons. I wanted to like the original MLP, but I just couldn't, and I was aware that the show even went downhill from there. Like you, cartoons also helped me through a rough patch once.

I wasn't immediately aware of the reboot, but when I noticed the avatars on NeoGAF I was intrigued. I found out that they came from the My Little Pony thread, and I was like "My Little Pony? WTF?" But the OP said "I know, right? But it's actually good" so I figured "Oh well, I guess I'll try it. What do I have to lose?"

I hit Youtube and watched the pilot, and was sold on the series. I don't build my life around it or anything like that (I don't even build my life around cartoons in general), but seasons 1&2 were easily in my top five "things I enjoy watching" in recent years. Season 3 slipped a little, but it was still very enjoyable. I had been starting to tire of NeoGAF before the show started, but PonyGAF validated NeoGAF for me. Which is good, because I'm enjoying other aspects of NeoGAF. But if PonyGAF wasn't here, I'd most likely have walked away from NeoGAF years ago. A while back, I had a Cheerilee avatar and some PonyGAFfers equated my writing style with Cheerilee, so I submitted myself to a transformation process that lost power shortly after my transformation. Now I possess Cheerilee's name and alternate cutie mark (alternate because I'm obviously not the real Cheerilee). There is a process by which I could probably change back, but it's untested and apparently it requires some dark tribute, and I rather enjoy being Cheerilee, so I won't bother.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom