• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community |OT2| I just don't know what went wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Got these ones yesterday:
fzxbn9T.jpg
They're both really great. The comic TPB gathers the first arc, comprising issues #1-4, and has already been discussed in this thread and the chat - let it just be said that I don't know of anyone who hasn't loved these particular issues.

The "Elements of Harmony" guidebook is also very good. It's about 250 pages long, very well presented, and contains bios for all characters, episode guide, song lyrics, descriptions of locations and mythology (nothing new to us, though), and an interview with Lauren Faust. If there's something bad to be said about it, it's only that it overuses the old stock vectors a bit. Even so, I recommend it to all fans of the show.

Got these ones yesterday:

They're both really great. The comic TPB gathers the first arc, comprising issues #1-4, and has already been discussed in this thread and the chat - let it just be said that I don't know of anyone who hasn't loved these particular issues.

The "Elements of Harmony" guidebook is also very good. It's about 250 pages long, very well presented, and contains bios for all characters, episode guide, song lyrics, descriptions of locations and mythology (nothing new to us, though), and an interview with Lauren Faust. If there's something bad to be said about it, it's only that it overuses the old stock vectors a bit. Even so, I recommend it to all fans of the show.

I really liked that first trade a lot. Had some great jokes in there, especially the one with the troll. I am very excited about having Katie Cook and Andy Price back on. I actually didn't really like the second arc too much, even with Luna being a big star in it. I found it a bit too...dark for MLP and resolution was a little sloppy.

Did anyone read the Pinkie Pie micro? I actually enjoyed that one, even though it was very similar to "A Friend in Deed." I enjoyed it more than the Fluttershy micro anyways. Still didn't touch the awesomeness of the Rarity story...but it's hard to live up to Rarity anyways.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
The TPB really is excellent. It's too bad I haven't seen anything similar for the second arc.
Well, there's a "1" on the spine, which kind of implied that there will be a "2". Plus, IDW has already stated that they are extremely pleased with the performance of this title, so there is no reason to believe that the second arc won't come to TPB form.

PaulloDEC

Just finished watching Equestria Girls. Thoughts follow (minor spoilers):

Pretty good! The story was a nice mash-up of ideas and scenarios from Friendship is Magic, combined with the new stuff, primarily Twilight's fish-out-of-water antics. The characters were all fine, though it's hard to either praise or condemn them given that they're almost exactly identical to their Equestria counterparts circa the Pilot episode. Ignoring the familiarity of it, the writing was pretty strong throughout I think, with quite a few laughs to be had.

I liked the music for the most part, especially the opening theme remix and the "Helping Twilight Win the Crown" number. The rest was good too, but nothing I'll remember clearly enough to hum during my day. Animation was up to DHX's usual standard, with a ton of really cute slapstick moments. The VAs were excellent as always.

Oh, and there's tons of cameos and series call-backs. Really, loads of them.

So there we go. I think the worst anyone could call it is "fine", as it really doesn't stray far from Friendship is Magic at all. That was probably the biggest surprise of the film for me actually; you could seriously lift entire sections and drop them into episodes of FiM with only minor changes needed to make them fit. Critically, it still feels like FiM.

Just finished watching Equestria Girls. Thoughts follow (minor spoilers):

Pretty good! The story was a nice mash-up of ideas and scenarios from Friendship is Magic, combined with the new stuff, primarily Twilight's fish-out-of-water antics. The characters were all fine, though it's hard to either praise or condemn them given that they're almost exactly identical to their Equestria counterparts circa the Pilot episode. Ignoring the familiarity of it, the writing was pretty strong throughout I think, with quite a few laughs to be had.

I liked the music for the most part, especially the opening theme remix and the "Helping Twilight Win the Crown" number. The rest was good too, but nothing I'll remember clearly enough to hum during my day. Animation was up to DHX's usual standard, with a ton of really cute slapstick moments. The VAs were excellent as always.

Oh, and there's tons of cameos and series call-backs. Really, loads of them.

So there we go. I think the worst anyone could call it is "fine", as it really doesn't stray far from Friendship is Magic at all. That was probably the biggest surprise of the film for me actually; you could seriously lift entire sections and drop them into episodes of FiM with only minor changes needed to make them fit. Critically, it still feels like FiM.

I watched it last night night as well. I viewed it just out of pure boredom, as I thought both trailers looked dreadful, as they focused on the prom dance and a seemingly romantic angle for Twilight Sparkle. After watching it, it was actually pretty good. Which surprised me.
Likes (spoilers):
Twilight Sparkle getting used to her new look was great. Especially when she was trying to type on the keyboard by balling up her fists and mashing on the keys.

Sunshine Shimmer was a great villain. I really hope she makes an appearance in the regular show She reminded me a lot of Trixie.

Speaking of Trixie, she has a great cameo which got a chuckle from me.

The voice acting is great as always, and the writing a pretty strong throughout.

Luna actually got say more than just one line of dialogue.

Pinkie Pie's transforming scene, complete with sound effect was hilarious.

The"romance' was well-handled and actually very subtle

The human mane six were all very well represented here, I didn't feel like they were compromised in any way.

Dislikes:
The music was mostly forgettable I felt. Nothing really stood out like At the Gala, or Smile, Smile Smile. Just seemed like generic pop stuff.

The end battle was a little over-the-top and I didn't like the girls going all "sailor moon' on Sunset Shimmer.

I guess there really wasn't a whole lot I didn't like about it. I agree with everything PaulloDEC had to say about it, it turns out its a pretty pleasant surprise. Still feel like it's all unnecessary, but it could have been so much worse.

$200

Banned
Not sure; in any case, I didn't see it at a cinema. Not sure how strict the rules are here on GAF, so I'll leave it at that.

I know a shaky cam version of the whole movie has been leaked online. Was that the one you watched or is there a better quality straight from Blu-ray or something?

I will most likely wait and get the Blu-ray version regardless.

PaulloDEC

I know a shaky cam version of the whole movie has been leaked online. Was that the one you watched or is there a better quality straight from Blu-ray or something?

I will most likely wait and get the Blu-ray version regardless.

The shaky-cam version was the one I saw. Rough quality and framing, but perfectly watchable for me. I'll probably grab an iTunes/Google Play version when it becomes available.

$200

Banned
Got #8, micro #4 and micro #5 in the mailbox today. Still need to read them and I heard the Pinkie one is on par with Rarity's :3

Finally got in #7 and #8 the other day, thought I'd show off my collection and what covers I got:
ibgOCwv6E4rHO1.jpg

You missed the best (changelings) cover!

SAM_0086_zpsd7bf97e1.png

Edit: #8 spoilers
Welp it was pretty lame. The villains are jokes, too many cameos, "friendship is magic" being taken too literally, and although the term "Mary Sue" is way overly used in this fandom there's really no better words than those to describe Luna in this issue.

Hey PonyGAF, I think this is my first post here. Kinda funny, considering reading PonyGAF way back in 2011 is what first got me into GAF in the first place.

• Tomodachi wa Mahou: The Movie FIRST
This actually was pretty enjoyable. Felt way more like an extended episode than an actual *movie* though.

Tomodachi wa Mahou: The Movie FIRST receives a score of
0.7 Season 2 Ep1-2s

PaulloDEC

Hey PonyGAF, I think this is my first post here. Kinda funny, considering reading PonyGAF way back in 2011 is what first got me into GAF in the first place.

• Tomodachi wa Mahou: The Movie FIRST
This actually was pretty enjoyable. Felt way more like an extended episode than an actual *movie* though.

Tomodachi wa Mahou: The Movie FIRST receives a score of
0.7 Season 2 Ep1-2s

Welcome!

I'm afraid I might need some translation on the rest of your post, though!

PaulloDEC

These slice of life comics are so good. I wish Hasbro would get the artist onto the Comics team.

The art is definitely amazing, but I think the best part might actually be the writing. It really has no equal in the fan community IMO, from technical proficiency to authenticity to just how enjoyable it is to read.

I'd pay good money for a legit printing of Slice.

PaulloDEC

I hate this fandom...

The body-pillow stuff seems pretty tame in contrast to that notorious Lyra plushie. You know the one. Ick.

People are entitled to bang whatever kinds of inanimate objects they want as far as I'm concerned, though I'm sure we'd all appreciate it if they didn't post pictures of them online (not taking a shot at you, BDGAME).

BDGAME

The body-pillow stuff seems pretty tame in contrast to that notorious Lyra plushie. You know the one. Ick.

People are entitled to bang whatever kinds of inanimate objects they want as far as I'm concerned, though I'm sure we'd all appreciate it if they didn't post pictures of them online (not taking a shot at you, BDGAME).

Relax, I only put it to bugs the Doctor. hehe

Too expensive.
:p

:p
Can I blame my corrector? hehe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom