• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community |OT2| I just don't know what went wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I even hate the human form... ;p

Nah, I cannot hate everything pony related! I try to leave yet get drawn back to every meetup...

And now, over the past 3 days, drew over 20 (bad) drawings! I still have yet to draw an official character really, whether background or main cast.. I should do that...

technically, My "Puppy Bot" pic I finished has a bloody Pegasi, that MIGHT be Scoots... ;p

Oh anyone in the SoCal area going to that Six Flags meetup? I might go...

After seeing this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJipry5--QA The movie was ok. I know its a joke video but dude makes some great points bout the film. It was however a great film for the intended audience, I suppose.

That is a great companion piece to the movie. Saw a lot of stuff I missed on my initial watch of it. Thanks for that.

Here's the thing though. My enjoying this movie is a complete turnaround to what I initally thought of it when the info start leaking out. I think some of the phrases I may have used included "Fuck this I'm out!" & "Sin against humanity!"

After coming down off my rage and wanting to give the movie a fair shot because I'm a fan that I promised I'd give it a fair shake when I got a chance to watch it. I did that and I'm glad I did. So here's to more of EG and my secret hope of a canon reset and to make it more Sailor Moon like.

Here's the thing though. My enjoying this movie is a complete turnaround to what I initally thought of it when the info start leaking out. I think some of the phrases I may have used included "Fuck this I'm out!" & "Sin against humanity!"

After coming down off my rage and wanting to give the movie a fair shot because I'm a fan that I promised I'd give it a fair shake when I got a chance to watch it. I did that and I'm glad I did. So here's to more of EG and my secret hope of a canon reset and to make it more Sailor Moon like.

I can understand that. I mean look at this initial art: http://www.derpyhoovesnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/930265_525_380.jpg They even had their CM on their faces! Thankfully, the full movie didnt have this style
well until the end, the magical girl transformation was a bit cringe worthy for me
but other than that it was bearable.

Honestly, if they were to make a series based off the movie, I'd probably just watch to see this alternate universe TS. It'd be crazy if they did it though, I can imagine the fandom going twice as nuts when the EG movie was announced.

McNum

I did something again. Was fun to play around with the light and shadow of this one.

camping_princesses_by_mcnum-d6h1zmb.png
(Link)

Shoutout to HootBot from the IRC channel for giving the random scenario of "Celestia and Luna camping". Well, here it is. Celestia and Luna camping.

PaulloDEC

Can't disagree with any of the changes to the voices of the three singing. Dodged a huge bullet with AJ's voice, it sounds like; that is just not a believable accent.

Do we actually know anything about the origins of these demos? I'd kinda assumed they were placeholder reads or tests, sung by whoever happened to be on-hand at the studios at the time.

Gotchaye

Do we actually know anything about the origins of these demos? I'd kinda assumed they were placeholder reads or tests, sung by whoever happened to be on-hand at the studios at the time.

The other two are close enough to the final voices that I doubt it was just a "whoever's around" thing. I could even buy that they're all the same actresses who just changed up what they were doing by the time the final recordings were made. They went to some lengths to get something that sounded close to what they wanted, even if three voices hadn't been cast yet. Edit: And why not do filler voices for the other three if they were fine with filler voices?

PaulloDEC

The other two are close enough to the final voices that I doubt it was just a "whoever's around" thing. I could even buy that they're all the same actresses who just changed up what they were doing by the time the final recordings were made. They went to some lengths to get something that sounded close to what they wanted, even if three voices hadn't been cast yet.

My thinking is based on a common practice where I work (we make TV ads). Often if a project needs a complicated or character-based voiceover, we'll have our audio guys create a "guide read", where whichever voice-actor who happens to be free will bash out a quick and dirty version for timing purposes.

I'm thinking maybe these versions are the result of a similar practice. Rather than getting the official VAs in (if they'd even been cast at that stage) you get a handful of available in-house voice actors at the recording studio to adopt the various characters (you're the squeaky one, you're the cool one, you're the southern one, etc) and off you go.

PaulloDEC

Best guess is that these are from the live shows they did a year or two ago.

I've seen a few people mention that they're the same tracks as the ones used at the live shows. I guess they could've been specially recorded for the live shows, but why bother when you've got the legit versions available to you?

Mysterious.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I've seen a few people mention that they're the same tracks as the ones used at the live shows. I guess they could've been specially recorded for the live shows, but why bother when you've got the legit versions available to you?

Mysterious.

Licensing issues? These do not sound like the normal VA's singing, but rather some people doing varying quality impressions.

Cheerilee

The other two are close enough to the final voices that I doubt it was just a "whoever's around" thing. I could even buy that they're all the same actresses who just changed up what they were doing by the time the final recordings were made. They went to some lengths to get something that sounded close to what they wanted, even if three voices hadn't been cast yet. Edit: And why not do filler voices for the other three if they were fine with filler voices?

Best guess is that these are from the live shows they did a year or two ago.

You guys need better ears. That's Ashleigh Ball, Andrea Libman, and Tabitha St Germain. It's the main Vancouver recording group.

Ashleigh is performing Applejack and Rainbow Dash.
Andrea is performing Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie.
Tabitha is performing Rarity and Twilight Sparkle.

Tabitha performs Twilight's part when they assemble to record as a group, and then she's overdubbed later by Tara Strong (with Tara's singing voice being replaced by Rebecca Shoichet, aka Sunset Shimmer). Tabitha was also rejected as Rarity's singing voice, and replaced with Kazumi Evans, so Tabitha doesn't get to sing anything in the final version (until they give Luna a song, hopefully).

Shannon Chan-Kent replaced Andrea as Pinkie Pie's singing voice, because Shannon is Danny Ingram's default singer, and they liked her so much in the demos that Danny put together that they wanted to find her a place in the final version.

So that's what these songs are.
Instead of "professional singer Pinkie Pie", you've got "real Pinkie Pie".
Instead of "professional singer Rarity", you've got "real Rarity".
Instead of "professional singer Twilight", you've got "not quite Rarity".

Ashleigh Ball might have been having an off day, but that's definitely her voice. Both AJ and RD. Not sure why they had Applejack singing "Giggle at the Ghosties" though. Maybe the song was written for an entirely different version of an episode. If it's early enough, that would explain why Ashleigh's voice sounded a little off, because she hadn't quite settled into her role yet.

PaulloDEC

You guys need better ears. That's Ashleigh Ball, Andrea Libman, and Tabitha St Germain. It's the main Vancouver recording group.

Listening again with headphones, there are bits where I can definitely hear Tabitha or Ball, but other bits where they sound totally different again. I mean, compare AJ in Giggle to AJ in Winter Wrap Up. Is that even Ball both times?

Anyway, I feel like I'm over-thinking this, so I'm going to assume you've nailed it and call it a day. To be fair on the rest of us, we haven't really heard Andrea or Tabitha singing in the show out-of-character before, and Ashleigh Ball sounds pretty different from song to song.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom