• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community |OT2| I just don't know what went wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
A fallen hero drew this with his last ounce of breath (well, second last ounce. He spent his real last ounce making me a fresh pot of coffee. What a trooper!)

Season 2 is better than season 1.

The worst epsiodes of season 2 have been good. The best have been sublime.
The worst episodes of season 1 have been bad or mediocre. The best have been amazing. (Not saying that season 1 was bad, on the contrary, its amazing, but theres episodes that i really hate right now, like Look Before you Sleep, that is possibly the episode I most have seen, and the one that I most dislike).

You can say as a con for season 2 that there havent been so many group episodes, that were the heart of season 1. But when there has been group episodes there were magnificent, and now they dont have to shoehorn Twilight's morale to every episode, as all the groups learns things, something that in my opinion has enriched the show.
Theres episodes without even morale ending and I would like to see even more of those as the series progresses, becuase they can make more different types of story like this.

No S1 episodes was anywhere near as bad as Mysterious Mare Do Well.

No S2 episode was as good as Bridle Gossip, though a few have come close.

In general, S2 has been weaker at consistent characterization and world building, while having stronger animation, music, and writing/jokes. The end result is something that's more enjoyable on a moment to moment basis but lacks some of the magic of the first season. My own tastes incline towards S1, but it's a matter of personal preference.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I really enjoyed Mysterious Mare Do Well. It was a nice throwback to the superhero shows of my childhood, from Darkwing Duck to Batman: TAS (with references to both!), being completely hokey and cheesy in a fun kind of way. Seems like its unpopular for some reason though.

It was certainly much better than the episode that followed afterwards.

My Little Pony S2 10

spmw5l.jpg

Twilight, get my rope!

Applejack definitely has the best ratio of screen time to awesomeness. She gets less time on screen than any other pony and yet she is one cool gal. I wish there was more AJ in this series, really the only time she gets heavy time is when Applebloom is involved too, but that combination is great so I'm not complaining.

Rarity does nothing for me. I absolutely loathe her character to the point where I'm thinking about fast forwarding any scenes she is in. Her doing that act to swindle that ruby from Spike on his birthday was downright sickening. Her friends are in mortal danger and she's more worried about a torn cape. The worst parts of this episode surround her, kind of like every other episode.

Thankfully this is a Spike devoted episode. Spike tearing shit up for once was awesome. It ending the way it did was not awesome. Poor Twilight was the only one who ever got Spike a gift. And he insulted her like that :( Turns out her gifts were the best gifts! Since it didn't get all of Ponyville crushed in the process the way this episode almost turned out.

In a way, I think MMDW and theSweet and Elite are problematic for the same reasons. Both basically play up character flaws in one of the mane cast to unlivable and unbelievable levels in order to meet the exigencies of the plot of the episode. It's the kind of lazy writing that the show didn't have a ton of in season 1. I like S+E largely because zi wasn't as attached to Rarity as RD and because the comical situations they got into as a result of their mischarqcterization were significantly more entertaining, but now that you mention it they have pretty similar flaws.

brian577

Banned
In a way, I think MMDW and theSweet and Elite are problematic for the same reasons. Both basically play up character flaws in one of the mane cast to unlivable and unbelievable levels in order to meet the exigencies of the plot of the episode. It's the kind of lazy writing that the show didn't have a ton of in season 1. I like S+E largely because zi wasn't as attached to Rarity as RD and because the comical situations they got into as a result of their mischarqcterization were significantly more entertaining, but now that you mention it they have pretty similar flaws.

I found nothing wrong with Rarity's portrayal. She's shown in the past how much she wants to make her mark on Canterlot. It's not surprising that once she actually got the opportunity she might be willing to go to extreme lengths to live her dream. Fame and glory are powerful things and anyone would be tempted by them especially Rarity who desires them. Rainbow Dash also desires fame so I can't fault her in Mare Do Well either, the rest of the mane 6 on the other hand....
Which brings me to an issue with your reviews darkside. Rarity is selfish for wanting fame but Rainbow Dash is not? Your bias is showing and this is coming from a guy who puts Rarity second to last (just above AJ of course)

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
I really enjoyed Mysterious Mare Do Well. It was a nice throwback to the superhero shows of my childhood, from Darkwing Duck to Batman: TAS (with references to both!), being completely hokey and cheesy in a fun kind of way. Seems like its unpopular for some reason though.

It was certainly much better than the episode that followed afterwards.

My Little Pony S2 10

http://i.imgur.com/spmw5l.jpg[IMG]

Twilight, get my rope!

[B]Applejack definitely has the best ratio of screen time to awesomeness. She gets less time on screen than any other pony and yet she is one cool gal. I wish there was more AJ in this series[/B], really the only time she gets heavy time is when Applebloom is involved too, but that combination is great so I'm not complaining.

Rarity does nothing for me. I absolutely loathe her character to the point where I'm thinking about fast forwarding any scenes she is in. Her doing that act to swindle that ruby from Spike on his birthday was downright sickening. Her friends are in mortal danger and she's more worried about a torn cape. The worst parts of this episode surround her, kind of like every other episode.

Thankfully this is a Spike devoted episode. Spike tearing shit up for once was awesome. It ending the way it did was not awesome. Poor Twilight was the only one who ever got Spike a gift. And he insulted her like that :( Turns out her gifts were the best gifts! Since it didn't get all of Ponyville crushed in the process the way this episode almost turned out.[/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEStsLJZhzo[/url]

Theonik

Why are Lyra and Twilight hanging out.

And why are everyone else balls
To understand ones has to start from the original deviant art entry!
Twilight and Lyra are explorers of sorts discovering those pig-like ball pony things. As to why lyra? I don't know Carek or maybe Bak could answer that. (former being the artist and the later following his livestream religiously) My guess is though a) someone asked for it in livestream and it became a thing. b) heartstrings and Twilight use the same vectors in pony boxes.

To understand ones has to start from the original deviant art entry!
Twilight and Lyra are explorers of sorts discovering those pig-like ball pony things. As to why lyra? I don't know Carek or maybe Bak could answer that. (former being the artist and the later following his livestream religiously) My guess is though a) someone asked for it in livestream and it became a thing. b) heartstrings and Twilight use the same vectors in pony boxes.

That just raises further questions!

*looks thru gallery*

Oh god some of this guy's art is why :(((

Cheerilee

Oh, I guess shes important too...

Meghan's absence from your post wasn't what I was drawing attention to. I noticed and mentioned recently in the other thread that Meghan's name seems to be popping up lately in major news outlets (because of the PR spoilers for the season ender), but that everyone's been calling her "showrunner Meghan McCarthy".

Showrunner was Lauren Faust's title. Then it was Jayson Thiessen's title. Now it's Meghan's title?

Lauren didn't tell us right away when she quit partway through season 2 production. She waited until season 1 finished airing before breaking the news. Could Jayson be doing the same?

Brace for bad news. Get used to the idea of Meghan's glorious rule. If it's just a false alarm, oh well. It could just be that nobody in the mainstream media knows anything about animation, and someone heard an important sounding word once, so they used it, and now everyone else is just going with the flow.

Theonik

Team Luna will have to contribute to Celestia page as to prove that we are above such petty squabbles.
That just raises further questions!

*looks thru gallery*

Oh god some of this guy's art is why :(((
Well he's also the one responsible for askmolestia. *shrug* I guess I should have mentioned that though all of the stuff in his dA gallery was SFW last I checked. The "dirty stuff goes on his lovetomorrowlove tumblr.

Team Luna will have to contribute to Celestia page as to prove that we are above such petty squabbles.

Well he's also the one responsible for askmolestia. *shrug* I guess I should have mentioned that though all of the stuff in his dA gallery was SFW last I checked. The "dirty stuff goes on his lovetomorrowlove tumblr.

Well I'm mostly ok with NSFW stuff, I mean, I did click on his NSFW gallery.

They just can't be My Little Poniiiiiiiii >_>

McNum

The fan artists are fast!

I'd get if there were Cadence fan-art all over, she's been heavily promoted already, but wasn't Queen Crysalis and the changelings kept secret until today?

Orcastar

I heard talk that the episodes were leaked at some point last week, though I never checked if it was true or not. It would explain the art though.

Theonik

I heard talk that the episodes were leaked at some point last week, though I never checked if it was true or not. It would explain the art though.
I don't think it was leaked. It's been several hours since the episode aired though and a lot of those artists can really draw fast.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

There were screener DVD's sent out, and in a complete shock to the way that usually goes, the episode was not leaked by anyone who got those screener copies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom